Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,693 members, 7,955,622 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:01 AM

Why Do We Go To School? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do We Go To School? (15810 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by kilokeys(m): 8:26am On Sep 30, 2014
nursery school - 2 years
primary - 6 years
secondary - 6 years
jamb grin- 2 years
university - 5 years (engineering)
NYsC - 1 year

22 (could b more)

mehn... besides the good english and manners i wouldnt say i am impressed.

#guitarist.. i imagine putting a bulk of those years improving this present skill thats paying my bills and giving me joy at the same time.

except of course if i land a dream oil job.. #still searching
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by walex2bad(m): 8:27am On Sep 30, 2014
Not everybody is gonna make it through school. Because someone you know didn't make it through school doesn't mean the same would apply to you.. But it's better you go to school and get your cert first.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by orgasticdance: 8:35am On Sep 30, 2014
nassyblue: The educational system here particularly in nigeria is over hyped. School is preached as having excessive benefits. Meanwhile in the world, its much more difficult. You find dropouts and entrepreneurs who didn't see the four walls of school even employing the so-called graduates. So to me education and learning is a personal thing, shouldn't be stereotyped to four walls of some large building. Discover yourself, your passions. Delve into into. Learn about it passionately. The internet alone is a better school than most of our universities here... Take advantage of it and be a better person. Thanks.
I concur. Tertiary education is a ponzi scheme that mostly serves the pockets of our policturers. The most recent prolonged strike made me reach that conclusion. Considering the labour needs of the nigerian market, i'll say only ten percent of the current enrolment should be in school. And all education is self education, I left school all these years ago, but it's still an effort everyday on my part to remain educated if i want to remain resourceful.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Gynacologist(m): 8:38am On Sep 30, 2014
NaLaugh: Anyone who goes to school for the sole purpose of getting a "job" afterward isn't ready for life.
u cn say tat again.....
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by ng4u(f): 8:38am On Sep 30, 2014
CharlieMaria: I went to school to sleep.
sorry
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by yadnus1(m): 8:49am On Sep 30, 2014
Provocative thought. Education is one of those overhyped aspect of life in this part of the world. People here believed that you can only make it in life by attaining Western education only whereas most that succeeded in doing so are just certificate carriers with no depth. lt is so sad that our society had imposed this mentality into us at our very tender ages. l remember 1 day during my primary school days. l was trekking home with a friend and classmate and it was during raining season,previous rain had left puddles in the middle of the road and you have to dodge ur way around them.A car was coming at our direction and before we can properly step aside for it to pass the driver drove into one of the stagnant waters and showered us with muddy water. While we were assisting each other to wipe up by the side of the road,the car reversed and the driver a woman came down and expressed how sorry she was. She then told us something that day that l still remember till now she said "l was able to splash water on you because l read my book and become a rich woman so if you too can face your studies you too will become prosperous and throw water at passers-by with ur wheels"she thn gave each of us N5:we were in pry 3 then in 1989. Now 20yrs after,my friend who had dropped out in pry5 due to his Father's death (to learn auto spare parts business)is now a successful man,speaks 3 international languages(like a native) and shuttle in and out of the country at will while l am still in the corporate world slavery(though l do throw water at people with my car tyres).My opinion,we acquire Western education to become modern day slaves.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by yadnus1(m): 8:50am On Sep 30, 2014
Provocative thought. Education is one of those overhyped aspect of life in this part of the world. People here believed that you can only make it in life by attaining Western education only whereas most that succeeded in doing so are just certificate carriers with no depth. lt is so sad that our society had imposed this mentality into us at our very tender ages. l remember 1 day during my primary school days. l was trekking home with a friend and classmate and it was during raining season,previous rain had left puddles in the middle of the road and you have to dodge ur way around them.A car was coming at our direction and before we could properly step aside for it to pass the driver drove into one of the stagnant waters and showered us with muddy water. While we were assisting each other to wipe up by the side of the road,the car reversed and the driver a woman came down and expressed how sorry she was. She then told us something that day that l still remember till now she said "l was able to splash water on you because l read my book and become a rich woman so if you too can face your studies you too will become prosperous and throw water at passers-by with ur wheels"she thn gave each of us N5:we were in pry 3 then in 1989. Now 25yrs after,my friend who had dropped out in pry5 due to his Father's death (to learn auto spare parts business)is now a successful man,speaks 3 international languages(like a native) and shuttle in and out of the country at will while l am still in the corporate world slavery(though l do throw water at people with my car tyres).My opinion,we acquire Western education to become modern day slaves.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Jhayeahsam01(m): 9:19am On Sep 30, 2014
to join cult and be a yahoo niggar
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 30, 2014
Yeah

marieolae: I see
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by rigview: 10:02am On Sep 30, 2014
@ first the normal sayings i hear time n again is that " Education is the shortcut to escape frm poverty" but basically i hard always dreamt to hav a lyf of comfort this basically and the fact tht am d last born my family insisted i must be educated made me go to sch. tongue
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Ladycloud(f): 10:15am On Sep 30, 2014
m going to school coz my mummy asked me to go to school....lol
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Bryan12(m): 10:23am On Sep 30, 2014
elvisosho: Sincerely I went to school for the degree. I'm studying computer engineering,I know I can go to a comp school and study programming for 6months then go to one shop and study hardware for another 6-8months but I wanted to be professional,to be called an engineer and to make my parents happy so I went to the university. I already know what its like to look for job and trust me I don't want to be there. After my course I'll learn what is left to be learnt,start up a busnes(tech based) and hang my certificate in my little office,then grind my life from there....the cert will be a plus when a contract opportunity comes my way or I want to travel abroad and do something new. What more can I say?
This is me in you.bro.lol.This exactly is my dream.The only difference between us is that I've not been admitted yet but hopefully I will be this year meanwhile I've been into software/hardware enginneering 2011.God help us all.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by addempsea(m): 10:25am On Sep 30, 2014
NaLaugh: Anyone who goes to school for the sole purpose of getting a "job" afterward isn't ready for life.
Did you go to school to work for charity? Maybe you need more clarity.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by addempsea(m): 10:26am On Sep 30, 2014
Ladycloud: m going to school coz my mummy asked me to go to school....lol
That is a FACT !!!
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by butanep(m): 10:37am On Sep 30, 2014
I ve been asking myself this simple question... Education is a means of acquiring knowledge and the school is like a platform where the knowledge is acquired.
The simple reason of going to school is to acquired knowledge, so we can earn a better life in the society. We go to school so we can get a good job with fat salaries, raise a better family... etc
Going to school is good but the idea behind it becomes a problem. " I ve not seen where a parent tell the kid to go to school so he\ she could become an entrepreneur or employer of labours but it's always go to school to get a good job. So at the end of the day, when people graduate from school without this good job, they become frustrated, disappointed and disorganized. This is the main reason we have thousands of unemployed graduates in the street...
Education is only a means to an ends but never an end... so one can go to school and become educated and still be poor... it all depends on how much we have to offer and how determined and focused we pursue our goals...
I simply went to school because, it's the societal norm that if I didn't go to school, I will become a less privilege in the society. So for me not to be and also be recognized in the society, my parents strive for me to go to school...
It is very necessary we go to school

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Johncuppa(m): 10:44am On Sep 30, 2014
kibo: Simple, SCHOOL IS MEANT FOR ENLIGHTENMENT AND EXPOSURE !!!
simple, thumb up!
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by lcstnigeria: 10:53am On Sep 30, 2014
Are you looking for a professional qualification which will help you in your career? Do you want a qualification that lead directly to a university degree course? if so the the Association of Business Executive (ABE) will help you achieve both. Visit Us www.lcstnigeria.com, admin@lcstnigeria.com, Tel: 08030793248, 012957703, Address: 110b, obafemi awolowo way ikeja Lagos.

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by ddooskie(m): 10:54am On Sep 30, 2014
no wonder u were sleeping while typing this.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by ddooskie(m): 10:54am On Sep 30, 2014
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Daareal: 10:55am On Sep 30, 2014
kazmanbanjoko: We go to school to also understand one part of life we are
n true yu talk sha
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 30, 2014
Bryan12: This is me in you.bro.lol.This exactly is my dreams.The only difference between us is that I've not been admitted yet but hopefully I will be this year meanwhile I've been into software/hardware enginneering 2011.God help us all.
Yh,God help us. Good to know you are already into hardware&software engineering,it'll prove useful when you get into school. Apart from the advantage in your course you could start up a little busnes in school to back up your funds. I'm really happy someone shares my dreams cheesy
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Chinom(m): 11:28am On Sep 30, 2014
The only schooling that is neccessary is basic schooling. This means primary and secondary schooling. After that,you should pursue your own education.

Like Albert Einstein once said " Schooling is interfering with my education" . I urge young Nigerian men to always remember this mantra. I would rather have my son be an Innocent Chukwuma of Innoson, than a proffessor at ESUT, UNN or UNILAG.

Our parents compelled us to continue schooling. It was the Nigerian way.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Chinom(m): 11:31am On Sep 30, 2014
UchihaMadara: It wasn't an option.

Gbam, especially in the olden days. The parents of today should break that mentality. We know better now.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Education01(m): 11:44am On Sep 30, 2014
This is why alternative course of action is highly pertinent in all areas of Human endeavor. So many candidate wrote the last Utme. many qualified for the next phase (post utme) while many more had lesser than the required score to write post utme. well, after post utme, many aspirants qualified for admission while many more scored below cut off mark.
ask yourself!
presuming i had an alternative course of action, wouldn't i have been better off?
Yes! you would have been better off!!
don not rely on jamb alone. the Interim Joint Matriculation Board examination (IJMBe) is an A'level program which offers admission into 200level of any university and any course of your choice in Nigeria. Join your jambite colleagues in 200level next session
the 2014/2015 registration is still on sale but for a short period of time.
Check page two (2) of any Jamb Brochure to confirm IJMB as a requirement for University admission in Nigeria
for more info and enquiries, visit
www.ijmblink.com
like us on facebook page 'IJMB LINK'
follow us on twitter @ijmblink
join us on BBM Channel: C00126233
Add us on whatsapp: 08035528553
send us a mail: administration@ijmb.com
success to you all.........
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by tojuboy(m): 11:49am On Sep 30, 2014
Olutola88: The commonest reason for going to school is to have a secured future; Get a noble job with your degree, have good work environment, access to better healthcare, good retirement package etc. This applies not only to Nigerians but also to people all over the world.

At one point or the other, our parents reminded us of how important it is for us to face our studies so as to become great in life. I remember vividly one of the most popular Yoruba songs we sang in primary school: “Bata re a dun ko ko ka, bi o ba ka we re, bata re a dun ko ko ka, Ti o ko ba kawe re, bata re a wo sherere ni le e”. Meaning: “If you take your studies seriously, you will get to wear the most elegant office Shoes but if you do not read your books, you will be roaming the streets in bathroom slippers all your life”.

Then, we were all made to believe that the most brilliant students in class had the brightest future and that the ones that weren't academically sound were in trouble. The brainiacs were on top of the world, loved by all, enjoyed preferential treatment from teachers, classmates always wanted them to have a taste of whatever food they brought from home, classmates always shared everything with the brightest kid in class because everyone wanted to be friends with the young boy/girl with the BRIGHT FUTURE.

Whenever we were asked what we wanted to become in future, none of us wanted to be Teachers. Have you ever asked yourself why we never wanted to be Teachers? It's simply because even as kids, we knew the Teaching profession was not among the most lucrative. We all wanted to be Medical Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Bankers, Pilots etc. As fate would have it many of us are teachers today not because we wanted it but because of the killing rate of unemployment. The teaching job seems to be one of the easiest to get and trust me, it still remains one of the worst-paid jobs. Some University graduates earn as low as 15,000 naira monthly as Teachers.

Where are the best 5 students in your class while in primary school and secondary school? Did they end up having BRIGHT FUTURE? In fact, I can't count the number of people that have told me that I have a bright future(especially girls). Some of them even dated me for that reason. I just hope the “You have a bright future” slogan isn't a scam because the future is almost here. *lmao*. Even if I'm not fooled by the numerous “you have a bright future” gists I've heard from people, I still believe with GOD I have a VERY BRIGHT FUTURE *winks.

Do Primary school and High school students of today still have that our archaic orientation? Are they still made to believe that Education should be mainly for you to secure a decent job? Do they need to be reoriented? Should we teach them better benefits of Education?

As for me, I will call a spade a spade and not an instrument for digging; I WENT TO SCHOOL BECAUSE I WAS BORN IN A SOCIETY WHERE WE WERE MADE TO BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL AND HAVE GOOD GRADES TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE.

WHY DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL?
because i want 2 gain knowledge nd be able add value 2 my society wit wat i av learnt in skul
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by CharlieMaria(m): 11:53am On Sep 30, 2014
ddooskie:
no wonder u were sleeping while typing this.
Bros how you know? cheesy cheesy grin You must be a prophet, for I was sleep typing it for real. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Pdizzle(m): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2014
To acquire all round knowledge, and be able to adjust anywhere i find myself in life.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
at O.P if you are frustrated with where you are in life, having gone school is not your problem, your problem is that you have not discovered why you came to this world.

but to address the general issue, the purpose of school is to enlighten and empower the mind to equip you to make the most out of this treasure called earth. doesn't it occur to you that in other parts of the world education has yielded invention and innovation? but in Nigeria we only follow... when others discover we learn but never discover much of our own. so in a sense education has failed the black man or perhaps the black man has failed his education.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Pdizzle(m): 12:04pm On Sep 30, 2014
Bolgra2008: We go to schoool to learn how to take Claro........
grin grin

Hehe.. Maryjane!
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by DJMONACO(m): 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
school is for the poor .School is a means to an end .That end? money.Do the rich go to school? yes.Why? only to get a degree, for the pride .If u want to get rich dont depend only on school.Be creative.Get financial plans.Be an enterpreneur
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Bryan12(m): 12:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
elvisosho: Yh,God help us. Good to know you are already into hardware&software engineering,it'll prove useful when you get into school. Apart from the advantage in your course you could start up a little busnes in school to back up your funds. I'm really happy someone shares my dreams cheesy
This is cool.thanks.it feels good to be among.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by bedfordng(m): 12:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
we all need to be educated to fit into the society of today and school is part of it,.it is as a result of education most of us were able to read and write.type on nairaland.if most of us were born in a thick forest without nobody to educate or going to school to learn A-Z,1,2,3,guess the next thing on our mind would be they are living in the stone age.we all need education to fit into the society of today,so we go to school to learn which is also part of education.not necessarily for certificate or job.no educated human being of today that went to school would give birth to a child and not send that child to school unless the parents wants to be a teacher that will teach the child everything

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test / UNIBEN Student Accused Of Stealing Roommate’s 20-Inch Bone Straight / ASUU: UNICAL Officially Resumes Activities, Set For Examinations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.