Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,650 members, 7,955,363 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:10 AM

YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria (9971 Views)

Skill Acquisition/entrepreneurship Is Not A Guarantee For Making Money! / Academic Excellence Is Overrated! / Academic Excellence Is Overrated! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 4:28pm On Oct 09, 2014
MarvellousGod:
Yes, everyone mustn't be an entrepreneur but instead of staying at home for months waiting for a job that isn't forth coming, why not venture into something no matter how small and then make it big with time.

All these companies you're craving to work today were started by people and most of them started small, so do not discourage people please. Nigeria even needs more entrepreneurs to curb unemployment.

You're asking who will then be the employees if everyone ventures into entrepreneurship? ? Many entrepreneurs are employees too, for eg, Some shell staff have servicing companies etc.. The thing is that small entrepreneurs work for higher/bigger entrepreneurs, and when those small entrepreneurs become big, they will still see growing entrepreneurs to work for them...

Anyone that reads that your piece and changes his/her mind on becoming an entrepreneur is just silly...
Thank God you mentioned it yourself that small entrepreneurs are still employees somewhere. That's the main reason for creating this thread. I created it to shut the mouth of those struggling entrepreneurs that badmouth job seekers. What is wrong in having a salary job and doing a business by the side. Another thing I'll want you to understand is that only few people can succeed as entrepreneurs, it is a fact. I don't think you have an idea of what I'm talking about. Please convince me you do comprehend my view with an incisive response. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 09, 2014
@olutola88, The truth is that I didn't really read the piece, just skimmed through...

There's no harm working and doing business, also everyone can't be an entrepreneur but people still need to be encouraged. ..

Again, people advise entrepreneurship now because of high unemployment rate, so don't blame them....

I do understand your point nevertheless. ... smiley smiley
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Archmage(m): 8:46pm On Oct 09, 2014
personally, i feel the word entrepreneurship had been desecrated... to the extent that the the meaning and essence of entrepreneurship has faded... entrepreneurship is not an escape route nor is it a shortcut to success..... it is a path of its own, a career based on an enterprising aptitude.... but with the current state of things, being an entrepreneur is equal to owning a business even if it is just selling snacks from a box.... is entrepreneurship not more than just making independent income?
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by biopat(m): 11:02pm On Oct 09, 2014
Archmage:
personally, i feel the word entrepreneurship had been desecrated... to the extent that the the meaning and essence of entrepreneurship has faded... entrepreneurship is not an escape route nor is it a shortcut to success..... it is a path of its own, a career based on an enterprising aptitude.... but with the current state of things, being an entrepreneur is equal to owning a business even if it is just selling snacks from a box.... is entrepreneurship not more than just making independent income?

Yeah.....it is way more than that!
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by VickyKSHS: 5:44am On Oct 11, 2014
great article. I've always been enjoying this blog. I got a lot of inspiration to unleash the creativity in me. recently in one of my searches to find something to get creative I found I challenge which I got into with a team. but I need votes to qualify. I believe with your votes I Can win. keep the articles comin. Thanks always. but I think I'm still and will always be an entrepreneur.

I am contesting with my team, team Dominus on the P&G CEO Challenge. I need your help. Pls like the P&G Careers Nigeria page (https://www.facebook.com/PGCareersNigeria?fref=ts) then vote for my team by following this link
woobox.com/odgogp/vote/for/4916051

Please vote, and your comments are needed too. Thanks
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by remsonik(f): 5:53pm On Oct 12, 2014
Well this post is discouraging and motivating as well.
I finished service last year and during my service year I started a small business.
When I got back to lagos I got a job though the job doesn't pay too high but its a career path that I love. I still do my business by the side and I can say that the profit from my business is 2x my take home pay when I remove my tfare and expenses for the month from my salary.
The statistics of unemployed graduate increases every year but its better to be an entrepreneur than to just sit at home doing nothing.
I would love to expand the biz but its after I must have gotten what I want from the corporate world.
Start small and solve someone's need in your community that's the whole essence.
I made sure I drew a business plan no matter how small

5 Likes

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by obomobo: 10:56pm On Oct 12, 2014
learning 4rm every comment here
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by chuqudy(m): 11:50pm On Oct 12, 2014
chuqudy:
I like your post. It is both discouraging and motivating. To be successful in entrepreneurship , you must have strong passion for the area of entrepreneurship you are venturing to. Dangote has passion for business and that was why he succeeded. For instance, you can't force yourself to be a musician where the passion and talent is not there. With talent, creativity and passion in doing a particular thing, one can excel beyond others imaginations. Dangote did it. Wizkid did it. Others are doing it. Even the chevron, shell etc people mentioned here were initially small businesses started by some individuals like you and me. See http://nairamagnates..com/ , a blog created in celebration of Nigeria's 54th independence anniversary for the purpose of inspiring, motivating and creating enterprising Nigerians at home and in diaspora.

THANKS.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by jaklad(m): 5:35am On Jan 23, 2015
The time to take our lives and destinies into our hands is now.... delivery @ ur door step...very quality production ...the new 2015-2016 ICAN study texts... the phone nomba to contact is 07066391995....Grab ur copy now and start preparing ahed 4 may 2015 diet coz early preparation is d key to blasting professional exams especially ones like ICAN...... @ JaKLad Inc. We realize ur professional dreamz. Contact us today and u'll be very glad u did.
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Akasha(f): 5:45pm On Apr 17, 2015
Olutola88 i cudnt agree with u more on ur views on entrepreneurship dou i disagree on d point dat u say d said preachers dnt tell dia preachees how hard it is, on dis matter i believe a mature and right thinkin indivual shud expect and be prepared 4 obstacles on any endeavors, however to further drive home ur point dou, a lotta peeps claim capital is dia issue on becoming an entrepreneur buh u find dat even if u dash(not even loan oh, to take of d pressures) some of dis people say N10m wont know how to use dis to become entrepreneurs, and often rather resort to investments so as to put d funds safe. Entrepreneurship is a thing of passion, i keep telling people who try to preach one of diz health business networking tins to me dat i cannot market wot i av no passion for, same goes 4 Entrepreneurship and d likes of dis wealthy musicians dnt make it easy 4 d followers, dey keep saying follow ur dream. Infact am tired of writing, i know u catch my drift

1 Like

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Olutola88(m): 7:45pm On Apr 17, 2015
Akasha:
Olutola88 i cudnt agree with u more on ur views on entrepreneurship dou i disagree on d point dat u say d said preachers dnt tell dia preachees how hard it is, on dis matter i believe a mature and right thinkin indivual shud expect and be prepared 4 obstacles on any endeavors, however to further drive home ur point dou, a lotta peeps claim capital is dia issue on becoming an entrepreneur buh u find dat even if u dash(not even loan oh, to take of d pressures) some of dis people say N10m wont know how to use dis to become entrepreneurs, and often rather resort to investments so as to put d funds safe. Entrepreneurship is a thing of passion, i keep telling people who try to preach one of diz health business networking tins to me dat i cannot market wot i av no passion for, same goes 4 Entrepreneurship and d likes of dis wealthy musicians dnt make it easy 4 d followers, dey keep saying follow ur dream. Infact am tired of writing, i know u catch my drift
I get your Drift, Magnitude & Direction ma
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by omojeffo: 8:01pm On Sep 07, 2015
I stumbled on this post and I am compelled to express my view.
Yes, working for somebody is slavery.

Bt who are the set of employers that makes working for somebody look like a slavery?

Answer - The Entrepreneurs

They are the ones who don't have (or stick to) a job description. If possible, they'll ask you to do their menial house chores for them, after all they pay your bills

They are the ones who sees their employees as machines. You are expected to be available at their reach anytime and anywhere you are needed irrespective of anything your agreement says else you'll be termed 'lazy'

They are the ones who sees you like you are going to be with them forever. Imagine an employer telling an interview candidate that the time he plans to get married is too close. No interest in your capacity building after all, what will they profit.

Yes indeed! Entrepreneurship is overrated.

But in a country where unemployment rate is high, not everyone will work for the government or for a well institutionalised organization. People will still have to work for people.

My conclusion?

Don't detest working for people, detest working for people who detest working for people cos it's such ones that end up treating their employees as a slave.

And if you are thinking of enterpreneurship simply because you detest working for somebody, hmm, I stand to be corrected but I think you are headed for disaster because no matter how bright your idea and dreams are, you are going to need PEOPLE to work WITH you to actualize them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by lilreese: 1:29am On Oct 26, 2017
agree
Re: YES! ENTREPRENEURSHIP Is Overrated In Nigeria by Kemblaze(m): 1:07pm On Oct 26, 2019
marvelling:

This is very provocative! I don't completely agree with you though. I believe in establishing multiple streams of income (this belief does not exclude getting a job and being paid monthly salary).

Yeah you are right tho but as said it is better to get a degree and different work experience, learn to save and invest first before venturing into establishing multiple streams of income, as for me in every business i want to venture in for multiple income its better i have all the neccessary info i need about everything before get into them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need Your Advice: Start Afresh in HR Or Continue with Career in Finance / FG Owes Six-month Salaries Of Staff Of 13 Agencies Under Health Ministry / Reasons Why Employees Leave Your Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.