Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,040 members, 7,810,851 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! (1496 Views)

My Parents Divorce Left My Life In Shambles / How Third Parties Involvement Ruin My Parents Marriage / Greatest Prank I Played On My Parents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by LadyDee1(f): 3:18pm On Nov 07, 2008
Ive run out of ideas so I would really appreciate advice on what to do,

Im in a relationship with someone I love more than anything, we get on so well and compliment each other really good.

Its a long distance relationship Im in the Uk his in the US so we dont see each other often but he visits when he can.

Its got real serious now and his told his parents abouyt me but i havent gone over to meet them.
He has decided to come over wanting to meet my parents but on telling my folkes, wahala began!

My parents instructed me to tell the guy not to come to the UK! (He's bought his tix!) and said they dont want to meet him on these grounds:

The guy hasnt had 'conventional education' ( He didnt want to do the Bar!! after studying sumthing to do with law and is doing a Masters, he's well read!) embarassed

The guy family arent known (there not Osu's so has nothing to do with that) tongue

The guys family arent so well off, (but there ok, there not suffering!)

I dont think any of these points are valid enough to reject someone you dont even know!! They know a little about him and have passed judgement before even meeting the guy!

What makes the whole thing worst is I recently found out (no ask me how Ooo) that my parents didnt go through the so called conventional education either!!! So whats the deal!

On top of that, my mother didnt come from the best of families, she suffered when her father died but cannot relate to my situation at all!!! undecided undecided cry cry

the guy really cares and knows what my family are saying, but is still soldiering on and trying to do best, but if my folkes dont want to meet him how in gods name can he do it!!! angry angry undecided undecided

He has alot of plans for us but doesnt want to cause issues with me and my parents.

Please could you give me advice on what to do, I respect my parents alot but want to be with this guy,   
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by Gamine(f): 3:27pm On Nov 07, 2008
aww.

Chill, Pray.
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by Bukie(f): 5:37pm On Nov 07, 2008
Most times parents r rite.It's funny how dy do it but wen parents say no to a rship,90% of the time,events prove them rite. I'm talkg from experience. This time though their reasons seem not to be genuine.
My advise is 4 him to still come down,dy are Africans afterall they won't turn him away. Let them meet him close up.If they still insist then you have to decide whether you want him enough to have a little rough time wit ur parents.Be assured dat if dy see how adamant and steadfast you r, dy'll come round. Dat's y dy r parents
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by DavidDylan(m): 5:41pm On Nov 07, 2008
Let him come down and talk directly with your parents.
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by sistawoman: 7:26pm On Nov 07, 2008
I agree. I am not Nigerian but I am a mother and i know that your mother will want to be there for you when you marry. Your father will want to be there too but the mother moreso. If you insist and presist both you and the boy you will win your mother who will in turn convince your father.
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by Flakybaby(f): 8:18pm On Nov 07, 2008
@ Poster,
Atimes parents r right, just be prayerful and let him meet wiv them be4 u conclude on wat steps 2 take next,
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by Outstrip(f): 8:38pm On Nov 07, 2008
Lady Dee how old are you? You have to consider a few things. I have seen parents reject suitors after suitors until the girl turns 35 and then everybody is wondering what is wrong with her. You parents reasons do not carry water unless they know something and are not saying to spare you some hurt. Otherwise pray on it and use wisdom in making your decision.
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by LadyDee1(f): 9:42pm On Nov 07, 2008
Thanks for your advice guy!

Im 23 years old, Yes, I know im young!

As for letting my parents see him close up, my dad doesnt know anything abt the guys family, and doesnt want to meet him actually told me to tell him not to come to his house!! shocked shocked

I am the first born, so im wondering if he's afraid or something?

My happiness should be his agenda right?
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by toshacer: 9:43pm On Nov 07, 2008
what kind of english?
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by Outstrip(f): 9:50pm On Nov 07, 2008
So you are the first born. That's why they are making shakara. Why don't you take a chinese man the next time you go home and tell them that this is who you will marry no matter what. Make sure he is short, ugly and have nothing going for him. After you insist for one year and fear has really sunk in turn around and bring any Nigerian man even if he is stark raving mad they will welcome him very well. LOL. I am joking o. Don't go and give your parents high blood pressure. grin
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by romeo(m): 1:11pm On Dec 20, 2008
Did you meet him online?
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by ifyalways(f): 10:29pm On Dec 20, 2008
The reasons your parents are giving does not hold water jare.Let the guy come and meet your parents and talk with them as a man should.It all boils down to you. . . . .what you want,If the guy is good enough for you and you have no probs with his person,i wonder what u are waiting for undecided you are still young though,how old is the guy?you guys can still wait and see if you would get your parents consent.wish u all da best.
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by plappville(f): 11:09pm On Dec 20, 2008
I tired for these parental control thing for an adult child oooo, one thing i know is that if u and ur guy re really meant for each other, u don't need to panic, the ball is in ur court, opportunity missed by someone will be taken by someone else, dad and mum re happily married, call ur dad and asked him why he married ur mum( i am talking out of experience) if he tells u why, tell him u would love to marry ur guy for the same reason.
some people are saying parents are always right Marriage is a thing of lucky, even if u select and select until they are satisfied with ur choice, what will happen will always happen so i don't fancy this kind of parental control thing for an adult of 23 years. I advise u to use ur head don't try to hurt ur heart or ur parents eaither, i believe they will comply just take ur time.
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by nkasi87(f): 11:49pm On Jan 01, 2009
The choice is totally up to you, this is your life not your parents. Have a talk with your parents and tell them that you love this man and tell them all of good qualities. You are old enough to make the decision for yourself and remember that your parents have already lived their lives and are married to each other whether happily or not so it is up to you do decide what you want to do. Parents are not always right and some do not always have your best interest at heart. Yes you should listen to your parents but always weigh the right and wrong and decide for yourself what you want to do!

A mother killed her children because she believed that she is saving their souls.
My adopted mother wanted me to give her my savings instead of using my own money to put myself through college.
One of best friends was molested by her father and her mother refused to do anything about it because she didn't want to be left alone.
Another one of friends was used by her mom as her shoplift buddy.
Re: Advice Please! My Parents Reasons Arent Valid Opposing My Relationship! by tRoOE(f): 7:32am On Jan 02, 2009
If you think your guy is worth the trouble, then stand on your ground wink smiley
Let your parent understand how you're feeling, give them a valid reason why they should accept the guy
Most parents are like that, my family did the same thing, which i do not blame them for, but I still think their children happiness is what matters the most

(1) (Reply)

Wickedness Of Man's Heart / Why most first born lay wrong foundation / I Need Your Help In This Situation Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.