Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,866 members, 7,817,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Why I Joined Politics - Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Joined Politics - Peter Obi (514 Views)

David Mark: I Joined Politics To Serve God And Humanity / Dayo Adeneye, Of Kennies Music Also Joined Politics Under APC- See Photo / Amaechi: I Joined APC With The Interest To Protect Rivers People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Joined Politics - Peter Obi by davidugotex(m): 9:47am On Oct 03, 2014
The former Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi said that he decided to join politics in other to contribute to the creation of public wealth for the enrichment of the people and the return of sanity to the society harassed by all manner of barbarism.Obi was speaking yesterday at an interactive session with World Bank Youth Forum at the Office of the World Bank in Abuja.

Speaking on what contributed to his success as the Governor of Anambra, Obi said he decided at great personal discomfort to shut down the cost of governance and invested the money in other areas.
Obi, who said that any country that did not take care of her youths did not have a future, advised the members of the World Bank Youth Forum to remain focused about their future and the future of the country. Explaining further, Obi said the easiest and most effective way to build a future for the country is through investment in education. "In countries like Singapore, which we celebrate as moving from Third to First World, they invested much in education and always recruit those with first class into their public services. Because of the place of education in advancement of civilization, we, realizing the rot in our education system, decided to return schools to the missionary and gave them money to rehabilitate those schools. Due to what I call toll gates on the way, I insisted that assistance to schools by development partners should go straight to the schools. We did so many other things, including provision of buses, computers, Internets, generators, Sick bays, laboratory equipment, among others to all the public and Church-owned schools. The result is clearly manifesting as Anambra took first in WAEC and NECO examinations", Obi submitted.

Obi also called on the youth to cultivate the spirit of savings, always bearing in mind that there must always be the rainy day. He said that on completion of his tenure, he saved $156 million for Anambra State and another N26 billion in local investment. He said if the trend continued, it would be for the benefit of the state. He thanked President Goodluck Jonathan for the institution of the Sovereign Wealth Funds and called on Nigerians to view it from the perspective of its benefit to our children who might not benefit from the country 's depleting Oil deposits. He said that he tried to institute Sub national funds for savings for the State.

The World Bank Youth Forum is made up of young professionals between the ages of 18 and 35. They said they decided to invite Mr. Obi to talk to them by consensus based on what they called his spectacular performance in the State.
About 50 youths were in attendance. The World Bank a Country Director, Francois Marie Nelly also attended. She encouraged the youth to remain steadfast and challenge the authorities in a positive manner that will bring forth progress and development.

Source: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=84445

http://brainxpansion..com/2014/10/why-i-went-into-politics-obi.html

(1) (Reply)

PDP, APC Battle To Woo Obasanjo / Swindled Blind Woman Gets N550,000 Back / I Will Turn Aba Into A Modern Commercial Hub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.