Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,109 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? (5297 Views)

Would You Marry a Spouse like your Father or Mother? / A Baby Father Or A Divorced Dad: Which Is Better For The Child? / Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by inositol88(m): 7:55pm On Oct 03, 2014
whose responsibility is it to give name to the new born baby? is it the father or mother?

what if the father does not like the name given by the mother or vice versa, what should be the next option ?
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Chalmers: 8:25pm On Oct 03, 2014
I'm tempted to say it's the father. But then again, there's no law that says so, which means the mother can as well.

Both parties should come to a consensus if they do not agree on a name given by the other party.

Daz all grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Chanchit: 8:54pm On Oct 03, 2014
Well for my own side of SW, I can't say for others, the father gives one name, mother one, grand parents, one each, so after the naming ceremony, the parent will now decide one which of the name they would be calling the child.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by emeraldoe(f): 9:00pm On Oct 03, 2014
Anyone of dem can give a name, it doesn't really matter. My first is a girl, I suggested 3 names and hubby picked one. For my 2nd -a boy, hubby didn't even bother askin for my opinion, twas d morning of d naming I got to know d name and I accepted. but did I really av a choice, cos he accepted mine so I had to accept his
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by bebe2(f): 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2014
Traditionally its d father dat give the names . but these dayz wey old things don passy away na any of the parents.

Then the grand parents will give the native names.

But as am a traditionalist shocked
My hubby named the boys and I named the girl.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by henryblaze25(m): 5:37am On Oct 04, 2014
bebe2: Traditionally its d father dat give the names . but these dayz wey old things don passy away na any of the parents.

Then the grand parents will give the native names.

But as am a traditionalist shocked
My hubby named the boys and I named the girl.

U just spoke my mind, the parents should give the English name. While the Grand Parents give the Native name to d child

1 Like

Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Nobody: 9:41am On Oct 04, 2014
Maybe I will allow wife name the girls,while I name the boys.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Nobody: 9:42am On Oct 04, 2014
Yomieluv:
Maybe I will allow wife name the girls,while I name the boys.

Allow?

1 Like

Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 04, 2014
Both parents must agree on their children's names. They are THEIR children.

Imagine your husband / wife picks a name you don't like at all and you have to call your child by that name till the day you die. undecided
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Allow?
I said "allow" cos am not married for now.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 04, 2014
Yomieluv:
I said "allow" cos am not married for now.

Married or not. Anyway.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by obk12(f): 12:51pm On Oct 04, 2014
Chanchit:
Well for my own side of SW, I can't say for others, the father gives one name, mother one, grand parents, one each, so after the naming ceremony, the parent will now decide one which of the name they would be calling the child.
. Exactly! In my own case I didn't give my child the name I had in mind cos my mum's name for her was just perfect. Moreover a child bears more than one name so there is room for names from the parents and grand parents
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Janet101(f): 2:11pm On Oct 04, 2014
Both parents but wit d male Ego...na my husband name my son
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by tobechi74: 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2014
Child can name itself
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 04, 2014
tobechi74:
Child can name itself
grin
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 04, 2014
Both parents.we both suggest names,eventually,one of us picks most suitable then we both agree.
Re: Who Is Responsible For Naming The Child, Father Or Mother? by Rocktation(f): 6:23pm On Oct 04, 2014
Hubby gave native names. I did Anglais. But they answer readily to the English ones. Afterall, it's whatever the mother calls them, that sticks.

(1) (Reply)

Married Men Are Pigs / Muslim Girl In France Shaved By Family Over Christian Boyfriend / Sad Day, Tribute To My Elder Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.