Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) (1599 Views)

Females Are More Matured Than Males / Unmarried Mothers To Be Fined In Chinese City To Cut Size Of Population / Are Female Children Generous Than Males? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 12:46pm On Oct 04, 2014
NIGERIAN POPULATION FACTS (Mythbuster: Males have the edge)

Nigeria, officially known as the Federal
Republic of Nigeria, is a country that is
located on the western coast of Africa.
The country features 36 states and its
Federal Capital Territory, which is known
as Abuja.

****The country of Nigeria features
over five hundred different ethnic groups,
many different languages.

****Nigeria Population 2014 last collected in 2012 by the Nigeria National Bureau of Statistics, the total population of citizens in Nigeria was around 166.2 million people. Today, it is estimated to have 178,571,721 people.

****Back in 1960, when the country declared
its independence from the United Kingdom, the country recorded an
estimated 45.2 million people. The recent population statistics constitutes a change of about 268% between the year 1960 and the year 2012.

****The entire population of Nigeria
accounts for about 2.5% of the entire
earth’s population.

****This technically means
that 1 out of every 43 people in the world
call Nigeria their home.

****The population of Nigeria is expected to pass the US by 2045.

****In the past 25 years, the rate of Nigeria’s population has grown approximately by 300 million people, a population figure that is quite similar to the United States currently.

****Nigeria, since 1960, has grown to be the sixth most populated area in the world and that is saying a lot given the size of the country itself ( imagine the entire population of the United States living in a territory the size of Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico – that is Nigeria and because of this, a lot of the living standards in the country are beginning to fall).

****Nigeria, since 1960, has grown to be the sixth most populated area in the world.

****The life expectancy in Nigeria is,
unfortunately, the lowest in all of West
Africa. For both men and women, the life
expectancy is around 47 years of age
according to the Nigeria Center for
Disease Control.

****The split between the males
and the females in Nigeria are quite even.
Men take the edge in numbers, but not
by much.

****There are, according to
estimates, about 1.04 males to every 1
female in the country.

**** When it comes to the average of a
Nigerian citizen, the country is relatively
young. For both males and females, the
median age of the country is actually 19
years of age.

**** Most Nigerian Muslims are Sunni
and are located in the northern parts of
the country while the Christian
population is located mainly in the middle and the southern areas of the country.

****A study in 2009 stated that 50.4% of the population was Muslim while the rest
were Christian. About 1.4% of the
population practices other faith.

**** The United Nations project that the
overall population of Nigeria will reach
about 390 million by the end of the year

**** However, according to the Census Bureau of the United States, the population of Nigeria will reach 402 million people by the year 2050.

****With those numbers, Nigeria will become the fourth most populated country in the entire world by 2050.

****The country's population is estimated to hit 1billion by the year 2070 at the current growth rate.

excerpts from: www.worldpopulationreview.com/
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Mayydayy(m): 12:55pm On Oct 04, 2014
the land of great tales.Nigeria.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2014
Mayydayy:
the land of great tales.Nigeria.

Indeed. A land of great people too. You know one in every five African (and all blacks) in the world is a Nigerian.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
This is a reason why Nigeria has become very difficult to govern. OUR POPULATION IS JUST TOOO MUCH. How will unemployment rate be managed? Yet u will see more and more couples giving birth to so many childen inspite of the fact that they cannot cater for them.

As for the population of males and females, i wonder why people, males in particular, have refused to take the result of the census. Is it that the result can no longer afford them to practise polygamy anyhow they like or it has prevented some of them the opportunity of taunting single ladies with their national anthem of 7 women to 1 man so they can change women like clothes. LOL. THEIR EGO IS ALWAYS BRUISED WHEN THEY HEAR THE CENSUS. They forget that the preference of male children over female will result to more males than females. This is why human wisdom is foolishness to that of God's. They dnt always think things through before coming up with all these their rules and how it could backfire. If they keep going this way, we will have 7 males to 1 female. I love it.

grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
what kind of stüpid tale is this? how is Nigeria 300m people?
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 1:15pm On Oct 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:
This is a reason why Nigeria has become very difficult to govern. OUR POPULATION IS JUST TOOO MUCH. How will unemployment rate be managed? Yet u will see more and more couples giving birth to so many childen inspite of the fact that they cannot cater for them.

As for the population of males and females, i wonder by people, males in particular, have refused to take the result of the census. Is it that the result can no longer afford them to practise polygamy anyhow they like or it has prevented some of them the opportunity of taunting single ladies with their national anthem of 7 women to 1 man. LOL. THEIR EGO IS ALWAYS BRUISED WHEN THEY HEAR THE CENSUS. They forget that the preference of male children over female will result to more males than females. If they keep going this way, we will have 7 males to 1 female. I love it.

grin grin grin grin

Indeed the sociocultural prejudice that favours the clamour for male children in our country may indeed suggest why the male population edges that of females...and true to your observation, the observable geometric increase in population without a commensurate improvement in human development gives genuine cause for concern.
I hope we don't get to a point where we have to go the way of china in terms of birth control.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bamibor:

Indeed the sociocultural prejudice that favours the clamour for male children in our country may indeed suggest why the male population edges that of females...and true to your observation, the observable geometric increase in population without a commensurate improvement in human development gives genuine cause for concern.
I hope we don't get to a point where we have to go the way of china in terms of birth control.

Truly, the survey is right when it deduced we would explode in 2050. How will the dividends of democracy spread evenly when the population is exploding at this rate? unemployment is very high. If it means adopting the chinese means of birth control to control it, then so be it. I am afraid we have a long way to go as Africans before enforcing such. Our mentality is still low. Polygamists and people who naturally love big families would be difficult to convince. Well, our growing population will soon become a nuisance to us o.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 1:27pm On Oct 04, 2014
spotit:
what kind of stüpid tale is this? how is Nigeria 300m people?

The post doesn't say nigeria has a population of 300 million people but that the population has grown by approximately that figure. This is puting into perspective all of the births and deaths within the stated period....I hope the statement is less ambigous now?
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 1:37pm On Oct 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Truly, the survey is right when it deduced we would explode in 2050. How will the dividends of democracy spread evenly when the population is exploding at this rate? unemployment is very high. If it means adopting the chinese means of birth control to control it, then so be it. I am afraid we have a long way to go as Africans before enforcing such. Our mentality is still low. Polygamists and people who naturally love big families would be difficult to convince. Well, our growing population will soon become a nuisance to us o.

Quite true! The religous inclinations too have a massive role to play since polygamy (which is more or less a command in some quaters) has contributed a major part. As you rightly pointed too the average Nigerian would frown at the idea of limited number of child births. Infact some still think having plenty children is a neccesary 'gamble'. But I think our greatest problem is the uneven distribution of wealth and the large gulf between the rich and the poor...
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bamibor:

The post doesn't say nigeria has a population of 300 million people but that the population has grown by approximately that figure. This is puting into perspective all of the births and deaths within the stated period....I hope the statement is less ambigous now?
then he should use percentage instead. u can't say approximately 300m and even go ahead to say it's like packing all of the US into arizona. that's being so confident and sure. approximately in this case is supposed to mean: attested 290m, and plus/minus 10m; when nigeria in reality is just almost half of or slightly above half the US population. somebody needs to stop using figures loosely when presenting 'facts' about a people.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 1:54pm On Oct 04, 2014
spotit:
then he should use percentage instead. u can't say approximately 300m and even go ahead to say it's like packing all of the US into arizona. that's being so confident and sure. approximately in this case is supposed to mean 290m, plus/minus 10m; when nigeria in reality is just almost half of or slightly above half the US population. somebody needs to stop using figures loosely when presenting 'facts' about a people.

I quite understand and agree with your point about the use of percentage instead of actual figures.
About the description that used Nevada, Arizona etc., I think it is just expressing the difference in land mass between the two countries.

But my concern however is that the explosive growth in population is not matched by an even distribution of the country's vast resources, leaving a good majority almost impoverished.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bamibor:

I quite understand and agree with your point about the use of percentage instead of actual figures.
About the description that used Nevada, Arizona etc., I think it is just expressing the difference in land mass between the two countries.

But my concern however is that the explosive growth in population is not matched by an even distribution of the country's vast resources, leaving a good majority almost impoverished.
yes everyone is concerned and agrees with your second paragraph about the backwardness of black african leaders when it comes to building adequate and durable infrastructure for their societies. myself, i shudder to state openly what i think about nigeria...
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bamibor:

Quite true! The religous inclinations too have a massive role to play since polygamy (which is more or less a command in some quaters) has contributed a major part. As you rightly pointed too the average Nigerian would frown at the idea of limited number of child births. Infact some still think having plenty children is a neccesary 'gamble'. But I think our greatest problem is the uneven distribution of wealth and the large gulf between the rich and the poor...

Exactly. The bolded is our problem. Very few rich population getting richer and the larger poor population getting poorer.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 2:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
spotit:
yes everyone is concerned and agrees with your second paragraph about the backwardness of black african leaders when it comes to building adequate and durable infrastructure for their societies. myself, i shudder to state openly what i think about nigeria...

And to think that these statistics are available for our leaders to read yet they are doing next to nothing is really disheartening.... We need help!!!
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 04, 2014
Donpeey22

Come see another "unreliable" source that says that men outnumber women. wink

1 Like

Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Jbravo58(m): 2:24pm On Oct 04, 2014
Awon omo nigeria eleyi gidi gan!!! (This types of Nigerians are tough o..!!!) Na only them dem make dis planet earth for? make dem dey do small small.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 2:25pm On Oct 04, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Exactly. The bolded is our problem. Very few rich population getting richer and the larger poor population getting poorer.

Very true and sad.
I fear to think that the aging population in our country is already lost as regards genuine efforts towards human development. Majority of the youth are not well informed or simply don't care. We are in dire need of true leaders....
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 2:27pm On Oct 04, 2014
Jbravo58:
Awon omo nigeria eleyi gidi gan!!! (This types of Nigerians are tough o..!!!) Na only them dem make dis planet earth for? make dem dey do small small.

Which type exactly do you mean?
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bamibor:

And to think that these statistics are available for our leaders to read yet they are doing next to nothing is really disheartening.... We need help!!!
if they did nothing and actually stayed lounging through office, then there just will be enough hope to start well when they're eventually removed by 'God'. (cos it seems that no human effort can fix bad leadership in Nigeria) But the main trouble is that they have choice personal investments everywhere else apart from Nigeria where they're looting the coffers dry. so when the right people come, the society would start afresh on...a deficit!
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:
Donpeey22

lolzz..sweetie, you can believe whatever makes you feel better...it doesn't change the reality on ground, I hope it won't be too late when it dawns on you that the world has been suffering from limited supply of the male species since the days of john the baptist. cheesy
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 2:42pm On Oct 04, 2014
spotit:
if they did nothing and actually stayed lounging through office, then there just will be enough hope to start well when they're eventually removed by 'God'. (cos it seems that no human effort can fix bad leadership in Nigeria) But the main trouble is that they have choice personal investments everywhere else apart from Nigeria where they're looting the coffers dry. so when the right people come, the society would start afresh on...a deficit!

I indeed agree with you that we need a change (by God's hand) but I wonder: is there enough resevoir of good leaders?
Are these good ones willing and confident enough to come out and confront the challenges?

As for running the country on deficit, the weight of that reality and its effect would come to full light if by chance our 'famed reserve' of crude oil were to get exhausted (I really do hope that doesnt happen). I mean we apparently have no other alternative right now.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2014
donpeey22:
lolzz..sweetie, you can believe whatever makes you feel better...it doesn't change the reality on ground, I hope it won't be too late when it dawns on you that the world has been suffering from limited supply of the male species since the days of john the baptist. cheesy

The only one whose opinion is based on belief is you. wink

I don't blame you, truth hurts.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Bamibor: 2:49pm On Oct 04, 2014
donpeey22:

Well perhaps you are right. Afterall in the true sense of who a man is supposed to be, not very many stand to be included.
I mean it's not just about having broad shoulders, a baritone voice, or contributing towards the increase in population.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bamibor:

Well perhaps you are right. Afterall in the true sense of who a man is supposed to be, not very many stand to be included.
I mean it's not just about having broad shoulders, a baritone voice, or contributing towards the increase in population.
warrefa...
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by okotv(m): 3:02pm On Oct 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:
Donpeey22

woman crusader...everywhere fighting for women right.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 04, 2014
okotv:
woman crusader...everywhere fighting for women right.

No, I am just teaching people the difference between impressions and facts.
Re: Interesting Nigerian Population Facts (mythbuster: Males Have The Edge) by okotv(m): 3:10pm On Oct 04, 2014
carefreewannabe:

No, I am just teaching people the difference between impressions and facts.
I trust you....keep it up

(1) (Reply)

What's So Special About The Secrecy Of One's Age / Help A Lonely Sister / Why You Must Not Allow Any Lady To Call Your Son "My Husband"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.