Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... (43916 Views)

Your Intelligence Is Needed Here / Utter Ridiculous.. There Is Education And Then There Is Enlightenment / Your Votes Are Needed Here: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Rayvene(f): 5:19pm On Oct 22, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Ok,forget about the Onicha dialect. Lets change the music....Where are you from ?

Umuahia.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:23pm On Oct 22, 2014
Rayvene:

Umuahia.

I like Umuahia chics die!
You should write in your dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:23pm On Oct 22, 2014
ChinenyeN:
Now that you all seem to have calmed down, I'll simply place here what I have to say and walk away.

I honestly am beside myself reading through the posts, comments and responses in this thread. The level of bile and ignorance in here is disgusting. We are now well into the post-colonial period; a period in which people actually have the opportunity to learn about the other sub-cultures that comprise "Igbo", rather than regurgitating the misstatements that plagued early Igbo "historical literature". We are at a point where it is no longer necessary to lie and purport "historical" falsehoods simply to maintain the construct that is "nde Igbo". We are at a point where it makes no sense for someone to display ignorance and promote supremacist claims in a period where people really ought to know better.

There is no excuse, no reason whatsoever, for the continued perpetuation of ignorance, especially on the part of Nri folks. It's as if you people are trying so hard to hold on to some impression of yourself, believing that it makes a legitimate historical, cultural and anthropological difference. It's as if you all are blind, deaf and dumb to the fact that significant swathes of communities have no recollection of your authority or presence in their area? From Urata to Ehilihite. Ikwere to Ngwa. Umuahia to Izii. None recognize neither your lineage nor hegemony. There emphatically exists a significant if not complete lack of tradition that even mentions your name. In all sincerity, you only make yourselves out to look like fools, purporting unsubstantiated, supremacist claims in the face of such overwhelming contradiction.

To top it all off, you want to ignore the actual oral traditions neighboring groups have concerning you, as if those don't exist. There is no other way to say this other than that it's almost incomprehensible how dense you people are, especially in this post-colonial period. You want to champion the "Igbo cause", and yet make enemies of "nde Igbo" in the process. It's counter-intuitive.

Mr.,this is getting pathetic and pitiable... You,Abagworo and the Awka revisionist called Rodoillo have spent the better part of your time on Nairaland fighting the dominance and influence of the Umu Nri culture. I think its high time you revisionists give it up because it isnt working. Nri didnt wage war and ruled over Igboland but her cultures were adopted by different Igbo groups and its spread to every nook and crany of Igbo land ,including Ngwa land. Nri is the beacon of Igbo culture and nobody can change that ! The Awka revisionist has done everything humanly possible,even going to the extent of editing altering historical work to please his insecure mind but that wont change anything. What is recognized as Igbo culture today is from Nri. Chinenye,if you dont like it get a rope and do the needful

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by adusim: 7:41pm On Oct 22, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Mr.,this is getting pathetic and pitiable... You,Abagworo and the Awka revisionist called Rodoillo have spent the better part of your time on Nairaland fighting the dominance and influence of the Umu Nri culture. I think its high time you revisionists give it up because it isnt working. Nri didnt wage war and ruled over Igboland but her cultures were adopted by different Igbo groups and its spread to every nook and crany of Igbo land ,including Ngwa land. Nri is the beacon of Igbo culture and nobody can change that ! The Awka revisionist has done everything humanly possible,even going to the extent of editing altering historical work to please his insecure mind but that wont change anything. What is recognized as Igbo culture today is from Nri. Chinenye,if you dont like it get a rope and do the needful

Hahahaha!!! my friend, we in Imo State have NOTHING to do with you and your Nri fables. Come to my town and talk that junk and you will be thoroughly beaten black and blue. Useless Anambra immigrants. Where was Nri during the Biafra War? Useless monkeys!
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 22, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

If you, Odenigbo, think my comments and posts on this forum are attempts to deny Nri its place in history, then you are as unteachable as you are ignorant.

Show me where I edited or altered historical work to 'please my insecure mind'. I'll wait patiently. In the only argument I have had with you on this issue, I kept quoting sources, reputable sources by scholars who have studied this matter for years. You, on the other hand, have never brought forward a single reference to support all the horseshit you dump on this site. Isn't it ironic that someone who says Umudioka and Awka were Nri colonies is calling someone else a 'revisionist'? Do you even know the traditions of the Umudioka clans? You, who didn't even know the traditions of the Nri and had to be schooled by a Bini man (Physics).

Odenigbo, you know nothing about the Igbo outside your Umuoji enclave. In fact, I suspect that, if closely questioned about your own Umuoji community, your ignorance of the matter will be revealed. I watched you say on this thread that the dialect of the indigenous Onitsha people was the same as the Idemmili people's, and I wanted to laugh. What are you still doing in the culture section, dude? You should be in Romance with the other clowns. And when you visit here, you should be quiet. Scroll through, and just learn.

I maintain what I've said before:

Nri cleansed abomination in towns in Northern and Western Igboland.
Nri tied the anklet of office around the ankles of Ozo-title takers in the same zone.
Nri prepared what was called 'ogwu ji' (yam medicine, which was supposed to ensure a rich harvest) for communities in the same region.
Some of the communities in that region sent a form of tribute to the Eze Nri annually (yams, livestock, game).
Ikenga cult was most likely diffuse from Nri, by the ritual agents, beginning from the time of Eze Nri Nrijiofor.

But Nri hegemony was never a pan-Igbo phenomenon. That's revisionism, if i have ever heard one.
The four days was not an Nri invention. That's horseshit.
The New Yam festival was not an Nri invention. That's even bigger horseshit.
The red cap was not an Nri invention. Dear Lawd, you're such a clown!

The framework of Igbo culture had already been laid before the age of Nri ascendancy. The foundations were laid far earlier in the Neolithic age. And the Nri rose to prominence by manipulating the philosophy of an already existing cultural framework. (There's a seminal submission on this by Afigbo in Ropes of Sand, and if you can leave your bubble for a minute and stop filling your head with nonsense written by Nri and Aguleri revisionists like Ambrose Nnalue and the Omambala of Aguleri, try and get the often-ignored Adama perspective on Nri/Aborigine relations in history from books like Traditional Igbo Beliefs and Practices by an Adama academic, IK N Ogbukagu. It is a better written book than anything an Nri 'historian' has ever written and it is well-referenced).

I'm sure you didn't know that when Nri Ifiukuanim and Nri Namoke arrived the Agukwu area, the Adama people were already under the leadership of an Ezeana whose name was given as Eze Ikanebo. Read the works of the Ibusa anthropologist of Nri descent, MA Onwuejeogwu. He spent years in Agukwu in the '70s collecting oral traditions. Yes, those 'primitive aborigines' already had an Ezeana.

Bring forward evidence showing how other Igbo communities accept that they inherited these culture emblems (New Yam festival, red cap, etc) from the Nri people. Let's see who the revisionist is here.

[Note: If you bring forth the tradition of how yam sprung from the grave of Eze Nri's slave as proof that yam was diffused to all Igbos from Nri, I'll send you back to go and do your homework properly with the tradition among the Ezza people of how yam was discovered by a woman gathering food in the wild and then spread from there. Your version of the origin of an institution/emblem is strictly yours until other societies accept in their own traditions that they got it from you. Learn what a validation charter is before you answer.]

5 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2014
If this Nri hegemony is the basis of this supremacist idea,then they have obviously failed.
How can someone posit that Nri shaped Igbo identity? Na wa.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:17pm On Oct 22, 2014
Rodoillo,I never claimed Nri discovered Yam,rather the deity,Ufejioku . Which bore the new yam festival. The red cap is an item of Nze na Ozo .
I am too busy to respond to everything you wrote. I will meet you,later.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Nobody: 12:32am On Oct 23, 2014
I could type a long refutation, but I hope that won't be necessary.

In simple terms, there are no corroborated traditions that any Igbo clan got Ufejioku (Ifejioku, Ahiajioku, Njoku, Ajoku, etc) and new yam festival from Nri. The related peoples who inhabit the West African yam belt from Nigeria to Ivory Coast all have yam festivals. It is an old common patrimony of West Africans who have been planting yam for thousands of years.

The red cap (which is actually a kind of fez without the tassel) was not invented by the Nri either. The red cap was made of felt. I don't know of anywhere in pre-colonial Igboland where feltmaking was practised. (You need wool to make felt, and the local sheep raised by Igbos aren't 'woolly'). The cap came to us from the North, through Igala middlemen, and ultimately from North Africa. There are no traditions of other Igbo groups obtaining red caps from Nri. The Nsukka people however have traditions of going to Igalaland to purchase the red cap, the horse, the gown, all of which were insignia of high office. If any group are to be credited with spreading the red cap to the Igbo, that group would be the Igala.

Let me hope I won't have to come back and elaborate on these. I, too, am very busy.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 4:17am On Oct 23, 2014
Rayvene:

This is the biggest load of horseshyte I've come across in my ENTIRE stay on this planet.
Not only are you a delusional braggart,you're a farking liar-and a bad one at that.I've been to Owerri countless times and I've NEVER heard ANYBODY speak Anambra Igbo for any reason whatsoever;you only wish.Lord knows I can't be caught dead substituting R for L,L for N and H for F,for any reason whatsoever.

Onitsha dialect is not even remotely comprehensible to me.My roomie is from Onitsha and I swear when she goes all Onitsha,I don't understand a frigging word.She speaks the 'general' anambra Igbo and that's fine by me,though I still need some translations here and there.

All the other horseshyte you wrote there is just...
Darn,dude.Delusional much?
The only way people I know treat Anambrians is with WARINESS.
Yup.Wariness.Most people I know wouldn't even touch an Anambra person with a 100 foot pole.
You're a pathetic LIAR.Nobody will ever give you preferential treatment because you're from Anambra.What a big LAUGH cheesy
People called ya mum 'nwanyi anmabra' because she is from Anambra,and not because they were in awe of her,or whatever. Different 'nwayis' exist everywhere - nwayi umuahia,nwayi mbaise,nwayi abriba,nwayi afikpo etc,and when peeps see them,they hail them.That's how igbos ball,generally.

The other things you wrote about receiving better deals JUST because you're from anambra...dream on,my brother.You're a LIAR.

And that ya crazy theory that most non anambra igbo chics dream of marrying an anamra man because of riches?Darned if that's not the most amusing bullcrap I've heard all year.

And ya crazy arssed theory about imo peeps not being helpful?Has it ever happened to you?Have you gone on begging sprees in both states(Imo and Anambra)?
How did you come about that fascinating conclusion,Francöis?

You're delusional,and you need help.Ndi igbo bu ofu.
You've been jumping up and jumping down on this thread,saying you don't mean to extol the virtues of ya state above others.Well,here's some news for ya: THAT'S WHAT YOU ENDED UP DOING.

Keep basking in ya grandiose delusions,if that's what you want,and suit yaself,like it's prom night cool

Sadly, you haven't succeed in making any points other than needless yelling of abuses. With all the fervor and energy poured into your irrelevant post, one can easily see bitterness lining up every single line of your post. One thing you should learn about me is no insulting words, abuses, curses etc. whatsoever on nairaland gets to me neither do they get me upset.

I don't engage in insults. I am not animalistic. I wouldn't say I'm too old for that because I am not any where nearing old, rather, I am too mature (maka ndi kpolu onwe fa 'graduates' na-asu 'matured') and spiritually minded to indulge in such. I reason intellectually and people who can't do simple intellectual rebuttals resort to insults instead to cover up for insecurity.

Now let me engage you on an intellecutal level, young wench. Instead of all the bunkum you spat up there, why did't you write instead about the good things of your state that make it better, as common sense dictates? If you didn't like my opinion, what stopped you from listing out those qualities of your state that makes it stand out from other states and boasting about them? You only boast of what you're proud of, right? If Anambra people are boastful, as you believe, they must have something they are proud of worth boasting of right? Who holds you physically from doing the same?

Anybody who resorts to needless exchange of curses, worse still when it is a full-page long of empty ramblings, rather than simple thoughtful replies in reply to an opinion they disagree simply lacks intellect and is incapable of intellectual reasoning. I'd suggest you read newspapers and observe how intellectual debates take place on an intellectual level and how intelligent people argue.

Everybody, place, country etc has something they are proud of and they boast of. It is in your duty to find what makes you different and unique from others and boast about it. Rather than stooping so low like high school gossips to engage in rantings, I ssuggest directing all your energy into using your brain to simply think by listing out what you makes your area better. Up until now Ihuomadinihu and InyinyaAgbaOku have miserably failed to list areas which make their state(s) better and unique. Instead they've been playing emotional little girls that they are.

I pose a challenge to all 3 of you. In an intellectual rebuttal to my post, please list out things about your state(s) that make you proud of your state which are worth boasting about and make them better than Anambra state. This is a simple intellectual challenge to you and it is my utmost expectation that you would not flounder on it.

#I don't expect an intellectual reply anyway.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 4:43am On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Guy,you still here ?....lol
This must really be a life changing experience for you....E no easy ...lol

Nna ehh...ife m delu gbalu ya ka akpi di anyi. O kwa I ma na o buro taa ka o bido chebe maka ndi anambra. O tegoeli ife a bido wutebe ya!

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 4:48am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

For someone who called Anambraians 'uneducated', you have used the word 'immatured' twice.. Your post is an indictment of the quality of your so-called education. #JustSaying..

And on the message of your grammatically bereft post, my response remains the same; Maturity is subjective, #GoFigure.

At reast, you did not brow glammar rike, 'quarity', 'so-carred', 'glammaticarry', 'beleft' and 'lesponse' as he expected. Rather the English correction was the other way round. 'Uneducated Anambrarians' indeed. cheesy
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 6:19am On Oct 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Sadly, you haven't succeed in making any points other than needless yelling of abuses. With all the fervor and energy poured into your irrelevant post, one can easily see bitterness lining up every single line of your post. One thing you should learn about me is no insulting words, abuses, curses etc. whatsoever on nairaland gets to me neither do they get me upset.

I don't engage in insults. I am not animalistic. I wouldn't say I'm too old for that because I am not any where nearing old, rather, I am too mature (maka ndi kpolu onwe fa 'graduates' na-asu 'matured') and spiritually minded to indulge in such. I reason intellectually and people who can't do simple intellectual rebuttals resort to insults instead to cover up for insecurity.

Now let me engage you on an intellecutal level, young wench. Instead of all the bunkum you spat up there, why did't you write instead about the good things of your state that make it better, as common sense dictates? If you didn't like my opinion, what stopped you from listing out those qualities of your state that makes it stand out from other states and boasting about them? You only boast of what you're proud of, right? If Anambra people are boastful, as you believe, they must have something they are proud of worth boasting of right? Who holds you physically from doing the same?

Anybody who resorts to needless exchange of curses, worse still when it is a full-page long of empty ramblings, rather than simple thoughtful replies in reply to an opinion they disagree simply lacks intellect and is incapable of intellectual reasoning. I'd suggest you read newspapers and observe how intellectual debates take place on an intellectual level and how intelligent people argue.

Everybody, place, country etc has something they are proud of and they boast of. It is in your duty to find what makes you different and unique from others and boast about it. Rather than stooping so low like high school gossips to engage in rantings, I ssuggest directing all your energy into using your brain to simply think by listing out what you makes your area better. Up until now Ihuomadinihu and InyinyaAgbaOku have miserably failed to list areas which make their state(s) better and unique. Instead they've been playing emotional little girls that they are.

I pose a challenge to all 3 of you. In an intellectual rebuttal to my post, please list out things about your state(s) that make you proud of your state which are worth boasting about and make them better than Anambra state. This is a simple intellectual challenge to you and it is my utmost expectation that you would not flounder on it.

Unfortunately,this thread has moved on to better issues. We are not here to make comparisons between Anambra and other Igbo states. My position has always been to counter the notion that some states are more special than others.
That lousy response to Tokunbo was an absolute insult to non Anambras, who or what exactly makes Anambra better than other Igbo states.
What exactly does Dialect, Nri & personalities have to do with being more unique,more igbo and more special than others? People occasionally display mastery of your dialect and you have a heightened feeling of possessing the best/poshest dialect? That is very myopic!
As far as i can tell,insults and haughty comments came from you guys. Look at the words you have used on this thread: bitter,hater,bushy,unclassy,
delusion,greater,buffon,more unique, nigger, illusion, emotional, insecurity etc. You have now ventured into making a jest of people's competence and performance in English language. That's sad!
Am inclined to believe that you expect people to read and believe that writeup on the first page without challenging it?
My stand has always been that all Igbo states come with unique strenghts and weeknesses. Whatever Anambra has achieved (that makes them to spite others), is only a contribution to the Igbo Nation. Similarly, whatever Abia state has achieved is just a percentage contribution to Igbo land.
I will have to disappoint you if you were expecting me to reel off names of personalities or achievements of my area, simply because you want to engage me on a comparison welfare. That lousy first post was a total insult to others. It was self praise and indulgence taken too far. If you think those isolated experiences make you feel you are better than others,then you have obviously failed. Cos i have had same experiences in your area.
There is no point for comparisons, sorry. The underlying basis of my argument is centered on those factors you already mentioned,so i will stick to that.
I don't expect you or others to change your ideas about how you feel about non Anambras. But it will be unfortunate if non Igbos stumble on this post and go off with the inclination that certain parts of Igboland are more special!

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Rayvene(f): 7:07am On Oct 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I'm trembling right now.Afterall it's not everyday one gets to be in the presence of such a great intellectual. undecided

Anyway,Francöis,I didn't come here to boast,and make a list of things that make my state better than others:that would only bring me to ya level.
I only quoted you because that post of yours was,like I said,horseshyte - and trust me that's not even an insult, coming from me.I'll let you know when I'm REALLY insulting you.
Not to mention all the lies you spewed forth:people being in awe of you and licking ya boots and having orgasmms just because of your posh dialect,and of course your 'royal' heritage.And then you went right ahead to say you didn't mean to extol the virtues of ya state above others,when that's what you did.You couldn't have been more obvious than if you wrote 'WE ARE SUPERIOR' an hundred times in bold red font.
I wonder the kind of thoughtful or 'intellectual' replies you expected for a thoughtless and unintelligent post like that.
Anyway,like I said,continue in ya delusions,if that's what you want.No amount of 'intellectual'(lol) challenges(lmao) are going to change the way you feel.Live on and have fun.

Btw my post wasn't bitter.I feel no bitterness or resentment towards ya people-I even spend a good part of my year in Awka.That ya post was just too crazy to ignore,honestly.

Fiiiiiinalllly,Francöis,if that thing you wrote up there is ya definition of an intellectual post,you still have a long way to go,sadly.So you want me to start a dyck-waving contest with you,yes?well,I don't have such time.Sorry.And for someone who doesn't believe in insults,that last sentence was a thinly veiled one.

This is my last post on this intellectual thread.Look for someone else to measure dycks with,Einstein.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:35am On Oct 23, 2014
Bigfrancis1: Up until now
Ihuomadinihu and InyinyaAgbaOku have
miserably failed to list areas which make
their state(s) better and unique.
-- duh!!! you really expected me to descend to your level of typing false things to make my state seem better, on nairaland for that matter?
Am not giving any Yoruba that satisfaction especially false lines. You wish. If you like don't delete that rubbish you wrote.
We are saying what you wrote was untrue in and out and you are here asking me to behave as you .

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:26am On Oct 23, 2014
Rodoillo,I never said Nri produced the hat. I am just alluding to the fact that "Okpu nmee" is an Nze na Ozo is an paraphernalia. Or is that in dispute? I dont know about njoku and ahiajoku but I know that Ufejioku is the celebration of yam deity.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 10:48am On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
Rodoillo,I never said Nri produced the hat. I am just alluding to the fact that "Okpu nmee" is an Nze na Ozo is an paraphernalia. Or is that in dispute? I dont know about njoku and ahiajoku but I know that Ufejioku is the celebration of yam deity.
Well, Ezza history suggests that they discovered yam and they celebrate their yam festival which they call Joku festival or Njoku ji.
Ahiajoku,Ifejioku,Ihenjoku and Ufejioku i believe are dialectal versions of Njoku.
Njoku is the principal god of yam, which acquires dialectal changes in different regions.
I also want to draw our attention to Ajok/Juok god in Sudanic religion/history.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 11:07am On Oct 23, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Well, Ezza history suggests that they discovered yam and they celebrate their yam festival which they call Joku festival or Njoku ji.
Ahiajoku,Ifejioku and Ufejioku, i believe are dialectal versions of Ufejioku.
Njoku is the principal god of yam, which acquires dialectal changes in different regions.
I also want to draw our attention to Ajok/Joku god in Sudanic religion/history.

So,what makes you think your postulation will sell and my own should be trashed?
Ebonyi woman said and Rodoillo the Nri hater believed it and you followed him because it stands against Nri. Rodoillo,Chinenye,Abagworo and their followers like you and Ihuomadinihu will believe anything somebody say against Nri,whether true or false. The version about yam growing from grave is a myth but Ebonyi woman's version is a fact....lol

Keep the revision coming....I dey hear.
The same hateful Rodoilla gave a stupid account about how Awka smith men help Eri settled and he believed it....lol And that wasn't considered ridiculous....haha
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 11:10am On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

So,what makes you think your postulation will sell and my own should be trashed?
Ebonyi woman said and Rodoillo the Nri hater believed it and you followed him because it stands against Nri. Rodoillo,Chinenye,Abagworo and their followers like you and Ihuomadinihu will believe anything somebody say against Nri,whether true or false. The version about yam growing from grave is a myth but Ebonyi woman's version is a fact....lol

The same hateful Rodoilla gave a stupid account about how Awka smith men help Eri settled and he believed it....lol And that wasn't considered ridiculous....haha
Na wa o, what is my business with Ezza. This is historical facts. I don't know why you believe that Igbo aboriginals were without culture before they met Eri. Nawa!
I think you need to drop these myths you see on wikipedia and study your identity.
Who were these ancient Nri people? Who did they actually meet on ground? What duties were they asked to perform? Did they actually meet primitive idiots when they arrived? What was Nri's contribution to Igboland? How many Southern groups recognize them? Why do they force us to believe their cheap lies?
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by abagoro(m): 11:49am On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

You have kept mentioning my name hence I have come with my vast knowledge of Igboland to clear issues. The harmonization and spread of cultural practise in the East Niger area was involuntarily done by the Aro. Why you see Ekpe or Ekpo or Okonko or Owu right inside the heart of Igboland is this involuntary spread. The origin of the various practise have their various versions in various parts of Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Nobody: 11:56am On Oct 23, 2014
Odenigbo, now that you appear to be less busy and have time to be dropping (banal) comments, can you take me up on the issues I have raised? Prove to me that you're qualified to engage in Igbo history discussions. Phrases like 'Nri hater' and 'that Awka revisionist' do not strengthen your argument in any way. As a matter of fact you're not even making anything that can be remotely called an 'argument'. Just beer-parlour shouts.

The reference you just made to the yam legends in Nri and Ezza that I cited only showed me how poorly you understand the point I was even making there. As for Awka smiths and Eri, if truly you are of Eri descent (and there are reasons why I even doubt that) you will know what that legend is about and its true symbolism. I never said it was historical fact. No one can dry a wet plain with bellows, but every historian knows that the story is an allegory for something real. Ask Afigbo, Onwuejeogwu, Jeffreys, Northcote Thomas etc. Ask the late Eze Nri Obalike who gave the same tradition to Colonial Anthropologists as early as 1910.

When you're ready come and debate me. I'll be here. But until then, afa m apuzikwana gi n'onu.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:16pm On Oct 23, 2014
abagoro:

The origin of the various practise have their various versions in various parts of Igboland.
Spot on! That's what i've have always thought. My area(not aro) has a history of how Ibibio/Efik settlers(war prisoners) introduced Akang and Ekpe to them.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2014
Rayvene:

I'm trembling right now.Afterall it's not everyday one gets to be in the presence of such a great intellectual. undecided

Anyway,Francöis,I didn't come here to boast,and make a list of things that make my state better than others:that would only bring me to ya level.
I only quoted you because that post of yours was,like I said,horseshyte - and trust me that's not even an insult, coming from me.I'll let you know when I'm REALLY insulting you.
Not to mention all the lies you spewed forth:people being in awe of you and licking ya boots and having orgasmms just because of your posh dialect,and of course your 'royal' heritage.And then you went right ahead to say you didn't mean to extol the virtues of ya state above others,when that's what you did.You couldn't have been more obvious than if you wrote 'WE ARE SUPERIOR' an hundred times in bold red font.
I wonder the kind of thoughtful or 'intellectual' replies you expected for a thoughtless and unintelligent post like that.
Anyway,like I said,continue in ya delusions,if that's what you want.No amount of 'intellectual'(lol) challenges(lmao) are going to change the way you feel.Live on and have fun.

Btw my post wasn't bitter.I feel no bitterness or resentment towards ya people-I even spend a good part of my year in Awka.That ya post was just too crazy to ignore,honestly.

Fiiiiiinalllly,Francöis,if that thing you wrote up there is ya definition of an intellectual post,you still have a long way to go,sadly.So you want me to start a dyck-waving contest with you,yes?well,I don't have such time.Sorry.And for someone who doesn't believe in insults,that last sentence was a thinly veiled one.

This is my last post on this intellectual thread.Look for someone else to measure dycks with,Einstein.

You didn't come to 'engage in intellectual argument' but you came to rain abuses all in the name of reply, right?

Like I said I wasn't expecting an intellectual reply from you. I am not surprised anyway.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:43pm On Oct 23, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:
Bigfrancis1: Up until now
Ihuomadinihu and InyinyaAgbaOku have
miserably failed to list areas which make
their state(s) better and unique.
-- duh!!! you really expected me to descend to your level of typing false things to make my state seem better, on nairaland for that matter?
Am not giving any Yoruba that satisfaction especially false lines. You wish. If you like don't delete that rubbish you wrote.
We are saying what you wrote was untrue in and out and you are here asking me to behave as you .

You simply don't have anything that makes you proud of where you come from. 'I don't engage in boasting' is mere hypocrisy when you already made boastful comments previously.

Why do you now want me to delete my post? If I had extolled Imo state or Abia state instead, would this thread have gotten to this point? You would have silently 'liked' my post and moved on without dropping a comment against my 'boastfulness', same way you did for Abagworo, right? Would you attack me with much fervor still if I had praised your own state instead? Now, please update me does Nigeria now practice dictatorship? Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you my post stays and I am a man of my words. I make my points and I stand by them. My opinions don't stand in your way. Last time I checked we practised democracy of which one of the tenets was 'right to free speech'. You have 2 options - you either agree with me or you ignore it and move on. It's common sense.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:56pm On Oct 23, 2014
abagoro:

You have kept mentioning my name hence I have come with my vast knowledge of Igboland to clear issues. The harmonization and spread of cultural practise in the East Niger area was involuntarily done by the Aro. Why you see Ekpe or Ekpo or Okonko or Owu right inside the heart of Igboland is this involuntary spread. The origin of the various practise have their various versions in various parts of Igboland.

Abagworo,I wont be surprised if you tell me that Aro founded Nri. Coming from a guy who claimed Onicha spoke Isu dialect. You are not ashamed to claim or propagate any lies that makes you feel good. Just like Rodoillo the Nri hater and Awka revisionist!
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:57pm On Oct 23, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Unfortunately,this thread has moved on to better issues. We are not here to make comparisons between Anambra and other Igbo states. My position has always been to counter the notion that some states are more special than others.
That lousy response to Tokunbo was an absolute insult to non Anambras, who or what exactly makes Anambra better than other Igbo states.
What exactly does Dialect, Nri & personalities have to do with being more unique,more igbo and more special than others? People occasionally display mastery of your dialect and you have a heightened feeling of possessing the best/poshest dialect? That is very myopic!
As far as i can tell,insults and haughty comments came from you guys. Look at the words you have used on this thread: bitter,hater,bushy,unclassy,
delusion,greater,buffon,more unique, nigger, illusion, emotional, insecurity etc. You have now ventured into making a jest of people's competence and performance in English language. That's sad!
Am inclined to believe that you expect people to read and believe that writeup on the first page without challenging it?
My stand has always been that all Igbo states come with unique strenghts and weeknesses. Whatever Anambra has achieved (that makes them to spite others), is only a contribution to the Igbo Nation. Similarly, whatever Abia state has achieved is just a percentage contribution to Igbo land.
I will have to disappoint you if you were expecting me to reel off names of personalities or achievements of my area, simply because you want to engage me on a comparison welfare. That lousy first post was a total insult to others. It was self praise and indulgence taken too far. If you think those isolated experiences make you feel you are better than others,then you have obviously failed. Cos i have had same experiences in your area.
There is no point for comparisons, sorry. The underlying basis of my argument is centered on those factors you already mentioned,so i will stick to that.
I don't expect you or others to change your ideas about how you feel about non Anambras. But it will be unfortunate if non Igbos stumble on this post and go off with the inclination that certain parts of Igboland are more special!

Well, after all's said and done, all's huffed and puffed, Anambra dialect is loved, admired and spoken by many non-Anambra Igbos. I'll reiterate my points again and I'll keep repeating them as long as this thread continues: 'Anambra dialect is loved and admired by many non-Anambra Igbos, many of who speak it easily and fluently. Some are bilingual in their dialect and it. Many non-Anambra Igbos have admitted that it's 'too sweet', 'too sexy', 'too posh', etc. and there's a running desire among non-amambra chics to marry an Anambra man'. And yes, Anambra people tend to be nicer to each other than Imolites are to each other. I spent over 10 years in Imo state and I speak from first-hand experience living in Imo state and not as an outsider. I won't come here to hide facts just because it hurts some insecure loser inside. If you don't agree with this simply ignore me and move on! Or better still writhe in wanton bitterness.

Visit this website below on which Igbo dialect is the best, Anambra Igbo came number 1 as most liked by many and watch many of your people openly admitting their love for Anambra Igbo (Onitsha especially). I didn't force them to 'confess' their love for the dialect. It's just the way it is.

If we took a national poll or survey right now amongst Igbos asking to indicate which Igbo dialect they liked the most, Anambra Igbo would come out number 1, undoubtedly. That's just the truth, whether you like it or not. Whether it bites you deep down or not I don't even care an inkling.

https://m.facebook.com/Ndi.Igbo/posts/10150652494593409
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:04pm On Oct 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Well, after all's said and done, all's huffed and puffed, Anambra dialect is loved by many non-Anambra Igbos. I'll reiterate my points again and I'll keep repeating them as long as this thread continues, 'Anambra dialect is loved and admired by many non-Anambra Igbos, many of who speak it easily and fluently. Some are bilingual in their dialect and it. Many non-Anambra Igbos have admitted that it's 'too sweet', 'too sexy', 'too posh', etc'. If you don't agree with this simply ignore me and move on! Or better still writhe in wanton bitterness.

Visit this website below on which Igbo dialect is the best, Anambra Igbo came number 1 as most liked by many and watch many of your people openly admitting their love for Anambra Igbo (Onitsha especially). I didn't force them to 'confess' their love for the dialect. It's just the way it is.

If we took a national poll or survey right now amongst Igbos asking to indicate which Igbo dialect they liked the most, Anambra Igbo would come out number 1, undoubtedly. That's just the truth, whether you like it or not. Whether it bites you deep down or not I don't even care an inkling.

https://m.facebook.com/Ndi.Igbo/posts/10150652494593409
The same Ndi igbo page recently conducted the same opinion poll and Owerri dialect came tops,lol.
So that makes your state better? This is so childish,i was expecting something better, or perhaps an intellectual opinion.
And the rest of the non Anambra dialects are bushy and unclassy in your perception? Lol.
Best dialect is very subjective,my friend. Liking or speaking another dialect other than yours doesn't make it better.
I still wonder how you got the impression that non Anambra girls desire your men? Lol,from your friends? This is just a crazy Ego trip!
Majority of our girls stick to our men even though Abia and Imo are more open to interstate marriage. My friend just turned down an Anambra man, cos he was going on about 'mama anyi', 'mama anyi si'. How silly. O wu mama ya ga luru ya nwanyi?
I still don't know how you got that impression. You talk like Southern Igboland is undeveloped and unclassy. So much for a self proclaimed intellctual!
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:58pm On Oct 23, 2014
bigfrancis21:

You simply don't have anything that makes you proud of where you come from. 'I don't engage in boasting' is mere hypocrisy when you already made boastful comments previously.

Why do you now want me to delete my post? If I had extolled Imo state or Abia state instead, would this thread have gotten to this point? You would have silently 'liked' my post and moved on without dropping a comment against my 'boastfulness', same way you did for Abagworo, right? Would you attack me with much fervor still if I had praised your own state instead? Now, please update me does Nigeria now practice dictatorship? Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you my post stays and I am a man of my words. I make my points and I stand by them. My opinions don't stand in your way. Last time I checked we practised democracy of which one of the tenets was 'right to free speech'. You have 2 options - you either agree with me or you ignore it and move on. It's common sense.

do you know where your problem starts from? you don't know my state and it has not even being mentioned here at all.
Your first post was both false and moreso, childish .
I have studied the official Igbo customs with my mum to know where each was pulled from . Nothing much was actually pulled from my own state and there is nothing there.
I really admire the abia strong and influential cultural heritage.
And stop linking me up to your purported anambra hate, I am too liberal for that.
I didn't like abawgoros post .
You either agree with me or ignore me and move on.
So much for an Igbo mod
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by abagoro(m): 7:01pm On Oct 23, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Abagworo,I wont be surprised if you tell me that Aro founded Nri. Coming from a guy who claimed Onicha spoke Isu dialect. You are not ashamed to claim or propagate any lies that makes you feel good. Just like Rodoillo the Nri hater and Awka revisionist!

Maybe you do not know that what we call Onyeigbo or Ikwerre/Owerri call Isoma/Isu is everyone from after Onitsha proper or after Owerri and the type of Igbo you people speak.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 10:51pm On Oct 23, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

The same Ndi igbo page recently conducted the same opinion poll and Owerri dialect came tops,lol.
So that makes your state better? This is so childish,i was expecting something better, or perhaps an intellectual opinion.
And the rest of the non Anambra dialects are bushy and unclassy in your perception? Lol.
Best dialect is very subjective,my friend. Liking or speaking another dialect other than yours doesn't make it better.
I still wonder how you got the impression that non Anambra girls desire your men? Lol,from your friends? This is just a crazy Ego trip!
Majority of our girls stick to our men even though Abia and Imo are more open to interstate marriage. My friend just turned down an Anambra man, cos he was going on about 'mama anyi', 'mama anyi si'. How silly. O wu mama ya ga luru ya nwanyi?
I still don't know how you got that impression. You talk like Southern Igboland is undeveloped and unclassy. So much for a self proclaimed intellctual!

@bold1 and slanty...Where's your link to the so-called poll? Pull it out let's see. Quit making up blatant unnecessary lies. I'm catching you out for the third time. As it stands, you're not credible and your words no longer hold credibility.

@bold2 and 3...that's the big problem with you. Incomprehension. You've been dragging this argument on and on for how many days now, making up claims that was never in my original post. I should be asking you that question in bold. How does the fact that people like the Anambra dialect make it better? Where did I ever mention that in my post? That many people prefer Jollof rice to beans doesn't make Jollof rice better. It's all a matter of preference and you have objectively failed to distinguish between preference and superiority. It's all in your head. You have a barrage of mirage accusations lined up in your head which have prevented you from seeing and reasoning objectively. Never ever in my post did I claim Anambra people were better. If I did, point it out to me. I simply mentioned that non-Anambra Igbos alike like the Anambra dialect a lot and many actually speak it, in addition to theirs (which somewhere in your twisted thinking you turned around and said, 'oh people are abandoning their dialect for anambra. I would never do that'. Total lack of comprehension). What is harmful or boastful in that assertion? If a non-Igbo had made that statement or a non-Anambra person had, i'm very sure you wouldn't be having sleepless nights for the past 3 days arguing away all your energy. Because it comes from an Anambra person himself, it becomes, oh he's boastful and he feels he's better'. Objective reasoning sorely eludes your reasoning and has clouded your thinking ability.

And yes again, 'Anambra dialect is generally loved by many non-Anambra Igbos in Igboland. Many non-Anambra people are bilingual in their dialect and it. It is not rare to find southerners who can easily switch to the dialect when they want to. And it is the default dialect used in Nollywood Igbo movies.' I pulled out the facebook link as evidence of the simple reflection of the opinions of Ndi Igbo about Anambra dialect which lends support to my 'so-called boastful' post. It is my utmost expectation that you read the assertion in bold, this time around, objectively without attaching your usual sentiments to it. If you still cannot do that by now, then you have a problem.

As for the girls part, like I told you my sister has a lot of Imo friends and she told me that. Girls know themselves a lot and what they want. 'Your friend' turning down an Anambra man is irrelevant because to every commonality there is always an exception. It's a common fact in science and scientists always give exceptions to postulations, theories or facts. 1 turned down event over many unturned down events doesn't suddenly translate to generality. Emeka is a short man doesn't mean all men are short. For posterity's sake, men are tall generally with sprinkles of average and less-than-average men here and there.

bold4...anambra people prefer to marry within themselves anyway and hardly marry outside Anambra, Enugu or Delta Igbo. So I am not surprised if most Imo and Abia girls end up marrying within their states. Finally, don't confuse 'the desire to marry' and 'actual marriage' itself. They are 2 different things. Everybody desires to be rich but not everybody becomes rich at the end of the day.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 11:01pm On Oct 23, 2014
abagoro:

Maybe you do not know that what we call Onyeigbo or Ikwerre/Owerri call Isoma/Isu is everyone from after Onitsha proper or after Owerri and the type of Igbo you people speak.

In the reverse, Onicha people hardly referred themselves to as 'Igbo' in the past and a few still do not accept that till today. While reading an article about the early missionary activities in Onitsha-Aboh axis, the author mentioned in his book that the Onicha people refused to be called 'Igbo' but used the word to refer to those people living further down to themselves. That 'down' translates to southern Igboland.

In Asaba Igbo and some Delta Igbo dialects, 'Igbo' as we pronounce it natively means 'slave' and thus they found it difficult to accept that name as their tribal name because of the meaning it has in their dialects. They preferred to use 'Ibo' instead. Till today, 'Igbo' (pronounced nasally as 'Igbon' still means 'slave' in Agbor dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 11:11pm On Oct 23, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

do you know where your problem starts from? you don't know my state and it has not even being mentioned here at all.
Your first post was both false and moreso, childish .
I have studied the official Igbo customs with my mum to know where each was pulled from . Nothing much was actually pulled from my own state and there is nothing there.
I really admire the abia strong and influential cultural heritage.
And stop linking me up to your purported anambra hate, I am too liberal for that.
I didn't like abawgoros post .
You either agree with me or ignore me and move on.
So much for an Igbo mod

You're definitely not Anambra or Enugu. And you have denied being from Imo state. You are most likely from Ebonyi, given your assertions. And truly, Ebonyi idialect and customs are not atually represented in general Igbo customs and traditions.

Igbo Izugbe has strong influence from southern Igbo in vocabulary and from Northern Igbo in terms of sentence structure. It was supposed to be a balance or compromise between Northern and Southern Igboland.

And yes I am an Igbo moderator and it doesn't stop me from thrashing out issues when need be. I wouldn't hide the truth to appear 'liberal' just because it makes some insecure people more insecure and bitter. I have my opinions and facts to make and mine are they. He necessarily doesn't have to agree with me.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 5:58am On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold1 and slanty...Where's your link to the so-called poll? Pull it out let's see. Quit making up blatant unnecessary lies. I'm catching you out for the third time. As it stands, you're not credible and your words no longer hold credibility.

@bold2 and 3...that's the big problem with you. Incomprehension. You've been dragging this argument on and on for how many days now, making up claims that was never in my original post. I should be asking you that question in bold. How does the fact that people like the Anambra dialect make it better? Where did I ever mention that in my post? That many people prefer Jollof rice to beans doesn't make Jollof rice better. It's all a matter of preference and you have objectively failed to distinguish between preference and superiority. It's all in your head. You have a barrage of mirage accusations lined up in your head which have prevented you from seeing and reasoning objectively. Never ever in my post did I claim Anambra people were better. If I did, point it out to me. I simply mentioned that non-Anambra Igbos alike like the Anambra dialect a lot and many actually speak it, in addition to theirs (which somewhere in your twisted thinking you turned around and said, 'oh people are abandoning their dialect for anambra. I would never do that'. Total lack of comprehension). What is harmful or boastful in that assertion? If a non-Igbo had made that statement or a non-Anambra person had, i'm very sure you wouldn't be having sleepless nights for the past 3 days arguing away all your energy. Because it comes from an Anambra person himself, it becomes, oh he's boastful and he feels he's better'. Objective reasoning sorely eludes your reasoning and has clouded your thinking ability.

And yes again, 'Anambra dialect is generally loved by many non-Anambra Igbos in Igboland. Many non-Anambra people are bilingual in their dialect and it. It is not rare to find southerners who can easily switch to the dialect when they want to. And it is the default dialect used in Nollywood Igbo movies.' I pulled out the facebook link as evidence of the simple reflection of the opinions of Ndi Igbo about Anambra dialect which lends support to my 'so-called boastful' post. It is my utmost expectation that you read the assertion in bold, this time around, objectively without attaching your usual sentiments to it. If you still cannot do that by now, then you have a problem.

As for the girls part, like I told you my sister has a lot of Imo friends and she told me that. Girls know themselves a lot and what they want. 'Your friend' turning down an Anambra man is irrelevant because to every commonality there is always an exception. It's a common fact in science and scientists always give exceptions to postulations, theories or facts. 1 turned down event over many unturned down events doesn't suddenly translate to generality. Emeka is a short man doesn't mean all men are short. For posterity's sake, men are tall generally with sprinkles of average and less-than-average men here and there.

bold4...anambra people prefer to marry within themselves anyway and hardly marry outside Anambra, Enugu or Delta Igbo. So I am not surprised if most Imo and Abia girls end up marrying within their states. Finally, don't confuse 'the desire to marry' and 'actual marriage' itself. They are 2 different things. Everybody desires to be rich but not everybody becomes rich at the end of the day.
This is pure TRASH. You argue for fun. This is one of the most irrational writeup i have ever come across! You started this rubbish of writing that others give y'all special attention and respect cos of your special dialect and all other non Anambra dialect is bushy and unclassy. Now,you can't stick to that assertion. You are now deviating from it,rather you want to prove that people like and use your dialect.
Now.listen up! I have been on that Ndi igbo page for a long time. They actually take this poll twice yearly. The one you pasted was done on March 24,2012 with over 500 responders. After the polls, the admins gathered the results and Owerri dialect came out tops. I actually did the same and the result was very credible! And the surprising fact is that both non owerri and Anambra people picked Owerri dialect..
For the fact that you saw a few Southerners liking Anambra does not mean that everyone feels the same.
Again in August 29, 2012, the same page conducted that poll,and Owerri was picked again!
On December 1, 2013, D same poll was conducted twice and people picked up Owerri(1), Ohafia and Anambra dialect. I don't know what you want to prove.
Yes,people may like Anambra &even speak it, it does not mean that thousands of Southern Igbos do the same!
On twitter,an anambra man was twitting that Owerri and Ngwa dialect was sing song like and more refined! Using your dialect does not mean it's preferable and 'better'.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (21) (Reply)

Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 / 10 Things You Didn't Know About 'ORON' In Akwa-ibom State. / How I Will Rule My Kingdom — 17 Yr Old Delta King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 206
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.