Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,813 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 PM

Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... (43700 Views)

Your Intelligence Is Needed Here / Utter Ridiculous.. There Is Education And Then There Is Enlightenment / Your Votes Are Needed Here: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 11:07pm On Oct 20, 2014
Onicha: Si ya ya mebe ya, mesibe ya ike.
Owerri: Shi nwo nwo mema ya meshima ya ike.

Central Igbo: Si ya ya mewe ya, mesiwe ya ike.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 11:12pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Who was the Imo man?

I think you should read this on the initial journey to have an Official Igbo dialect in Igboland, the series of debates, the different Igbo dialect proposals, and how central Igbo today came to be.

http://pcwww.liv.ac.uk/~dvdb/CH_4.pdf
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 11:15pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
Well,like i said early Igbo actors were Northern Igbos. Look at the names of these actors and google their states of Origin.
Nkem Owoh, Chinyere Wilfred, Pete Edochie, Dolly Unachukwu, Francis Agu, Amaka Igwe, Ndidi Obi, Ngozi Ezeonu, Bob Manuel, Amaechi Munagor, Ego Boyo,Rita Nzelu.
The non Northern Igbo actors like Genevive, Aki and Pawpaw, James Iroha, Emeka Ike, Mike Ezuruonye, Sandra Achums,Chinyere Nwabueze etc never spoke NCI in movies.
The influence of both NCI and SCI stops within its boundaries,unless you want to speak any of them. Nobody speaks Anambra dialect in nollywood unless he is a native and influenced by it.
I have explained this issue before.

Chiege Alisigwe(Orlu), Okey Bakassi(Ikwerre), Camilia Mberekpe(Imo) etc. speak mostly Onicha in Igbo language movies.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 11:21pm On Oct 20, 2014
bigfrancis21:

One S.E Onwu who brought about the Onwu Orthography of writing and spelling Igbo language. Anybody who did Igbo in secondary school should know this. Much thanks to his works else Igbo language would have been left without a standard orthography.
chill,i know about him and his contributions. He is not from Imo,he is from Enugu near Anambra state. Why would a non Imo suggest a Southern/central igbo dialect. Lol. So because you saw Owerri,you felt he imposed his dialect on other Igbos?
Hate it or love it, Central igbo was derived from Mbaise, Owerri and Umuahia dialects. The people in charge certified it as the best dialect for literary instruction.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 11:25pm On Oct 20, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Chiege Alisigwe(Orlu), Okey Bakassi(Ikwerre), Camilia Mberekpe(Imo) etc. speak mostly Onicha in Igbo language movies.
So? Like i said,that is what they are conversant with. Kanayo .O. Kanyo use Onitsha too,according to him, he spent sometime in Onitsha. Personally,i speak and use the dialect of where i reside more than my native dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 11:28pm On Oct 20, 2014
bigfrancis21:

So? They are probably more conversant with it. Kanayo is equally from Mbaise but he speaks more Ontisha,according to him,he spent some time in Onitsha.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

So? Like i said,that is what they are conversant with. Kanayo .O. Kanyo use Onitsha too,according to him, he spent sometime in Onitsha. Personally,i speak and use the dialect of where i reside more than my native dialect.

@bold...that's not what you said. Here's what you said:

Ihuomadinihu:
The non Northern Igbo actors like Genevive, Aki and Pawpaw, James Iroha, Emeka Ike, Mike Ezuruonye, Sandra Achums,Chinyere Nwabueze etc never spoke NCI in movies.
The influence of both NCI and SCI stops within its boundaries,unless you want to speak any of them. Nobody speaks Anambra dialect in nollywood unless he is a native and influenced by it...
I have explained this issue before.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 11:40pm On Oct 20, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Northern Igbo: Osisi afu bu nke e ji esi nni.
Southern Igbo: Oshishi ahu wu ke e ji eshiga nri.

Central Igbo: Osisi ahu bu nke e ji esi nri.

How does Central Igbo tilt towards southern Igbo as you would have us believe?
You are wrong,pls go and read my initial write up. Central igbo is largely based on a number of Southern Igbo dialects.
There are varied dialects in Southern Igbo, /Oshishi/ is more or less Owerri or Imo state. The rest of the Southern dialect use /Osisi/.
In Owerri, it will become Oshishi ahu wu ke eji eshi nri.
Don't mix up Southern Igbo and Owerri.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 11:40pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

chill,i know about him and his contributions. He is not from Imo,he is from Enugu near Anambra state. Why would a non Imo suggest a Southern/central igbo dialect. Lol. So because you saw Owerri,you felt he imposed his dialect on other Igbos?
Hate it or love it, Central igbo was derived from Mbaise, Owerri and Umuahia dialects. The people in charge certified it as the best dialect for literary instruction.

@bold...nairaland! Everybody wants to project their dialect into significance. I understand anyway you, nwa Mbaise.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 11:46pm On Oct 20, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...that's not what you said. Here's what you said:

You probably don't understand me. E.g an Ngwa man is not expected to fluently speak Owerri unless he has had a level of interaction with them. These people you mentioned are just isolated cases, they have heavily interacted with Anambras. Nollywood actors speak a dialect they are comfortable with. Emeka ike and Ezuruonye stick to Southern igbo. Ozokwor and osuofia stick to Anambra.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 11:48pm On Oct 20, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...nairaland! Everybody wants to project their dialect into significance. I understand anyway you, nwa Mbaise.
Am not nwa Mbaise, i only stated a fact. It was Dr. Wards to introduced and formed Central Igbo dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 11:49pm On Oct 20, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

You are wrong,pls go and read my initial write up. Central igbo is largely based on a number of Southern Igbo dialects.
There are varied dialects in Southern Igbo, /Oshishi/ is more or less Owerri or Imo state. The rest of the Southern dialect use /Osisi/.
In Owerri, it will become Oshishi ahu wu ke eji eshi nri.
Don't mix up Southern Igbo and Owerri.

Chill with the over-significance you place on Igbo Izugbe. Do you realize that apart from textbooks and news broadcast, nobody speaks Central Igbo in real life? Do you even realize that Umuahia (similar to what Patience Jonathan speaks), Aba, Owerri, Ngwa, Mbaise are entirely different from Central Igbo?

I grew up in Imo state, went to primary and secondary schools in Owerri, came across all types of dialects of Imo state. I know how Mbaise sounds, Owerri, Mbano, Obowo, Ngor-Okpala, Ohaji/Egbema dialects are. You can't tell me otherwise. The strongest similarity between Central Igbo and southern Igbo dialects are the words derived from Central Igbo not the sentence structures, the preponderance of 'h' instead of 'f', the use of 'la' as past tense instead of 'go' etc and you've played totally blind to the similar sentence structures between Northern Igbo and Central Igbo.

It is not the official dialect of Nollywood movies, Northern Igbos aren't compelled to speak it in the presence of non-northern Igbos instead you have it the other way round, and hip-hop Igbo musicians (Anambra and Non-Anambra alike) prefer to sing in it?

Do you realize that Central Igbo that you place too much significance on was adopted as official by mere chance? Not because it is special or spectacular. Are you aware that before Central Igbo was Union Igbo which was officially used, written and spoken in liturgy?

I'd suggest that you read that document I posted its link and understand the reasons we have Central Igbo today. Do not get too excited about it.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:00am On Oct 21, 2014
This debate seems to be getting divisive as some people had earlier warned.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:01am On Oct 21, 2014
You probably don't speak Igbo izugbe,that is for you.
Away from Igboland,most official igbo events are conduted in it.
I was not interested in Central igbo dialect until you started suggesting that Anambra dialect is mutually intelligible,special,sweeter and is the official language of Igbo.
Who is not proud of his/her dialect?
Igbo izugbe's importance in Igbo history cannot be overemphasized,am surprised to hear it's a chance dialect simply because it's vocabulary is drawn from Southern Igbo.
The Union Igbo you speak of was drawn from Onitsha, Uwana, Owerri etc and was adopted by the Catholic church only.
Why was it not adopted as Igbo Izugbe? Same reasons with Isuama issue.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:08am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

You probably don't understand me. E.g an Ngwa man is not expected to fluently speak Owerri unless he has had a level of interaction with them. These people you mentioned are just isolated cases, they have heavily interacted with Anambras. Nollywood actors speak a dialect they are comfortable with. Emeka ike and Ezuruonye stick to Southern igbo. Ozokwor and osuofia stick to Anambra.

Not just isolated cases. I watch Nollywood Igbo a lot and I am speaking from my long experience in watching them. Tony ofNneka the pretty serpent spoke fluent Northern Igbo in the movie despite not growing up in Anambra.

Despite the prevalence of the Northern Igbo dialect, movie producers always want to have one or 2 particular actors/actresses from different areas in Igboland speaking and representing their respective dialects to maintain and showcase the diversity of Igbo language. You have Obilor Ogechi as the de-facto Owerri representative in Nollywood, always paired up with Osuofia, Rita Edochie to represent the proper Onicha dialect, etc. Meanwhile Camilia Mberekpe who is from Imo state, or Chiege Alisigwe also featuring in the same movie will be speaking Northern Igbo as it is with other non-anambrarians.

This is just my observation. I am just stating facts as they are.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:11am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Not just isolated cases. I watch Nollywood Igbo a lot and I am speaking from my long experience in watching them. Tony ofNneka the pretty serpent spoke fluent Northern Igbo in the movie despite not growing up in Anambra.

Despite the prevalence of the Northern Igbo dialect, movie producers always want to have one or 2 particular actors/actresses from different areas in Igboland speaking and representing their respective dialects to maintain and showcase the diversity of Igbo language. You have Obilor Ogechi as the de-facto Owerri representative in Nollywood, always paired up with Osuofia, Rita Edochie to represent the proper Onicha dialect, etc. Meanwhile Camilia Mberekpe who is from Imo state, or Chiege Alisigwe also featuring in the same movie will be speaking Northern Igbo as it is with other non-anambrarians.

This is just my observation. I am just stating facts as they are.

And what are u trying to prove?
I think you are just repeating yourself. At the end of the day, actors speak the dialects they are comfortable with. If you are from Njaba but you grew up in Onitsha,it is only imperative you understand and speak it well.
Igbo kids that have interacted with Yorubas speak more Yoruba than the natives,does it make it more special or popular.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:19am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
You probably don't speak Igbo izugbe,that is for you.
Away from Igboland,most official igbo events are conduted in it.
I was interested in Central igbo dialect until you started suggesting that Anambra dialect is mutually intelligible and is the official language of entertainment.
Who is not proud of his/her dialect?
Igbo izugbe's importance in Igbo history cannot be overemphasized,am surprised to hear it's a chance dialect simply because it's vocabulary is drawn from Southern Igbo.

@Community/Town meetings away from Igboland are spoken in their respective dialects except an all-inclusive Igbo gathering. I tell you nobody, I mean, nobody speaks perfect central Igbo in daily settings. At the end of the day, to your tents O Israel. I'm currently in Maryland, US and there are so many Nigerians are here. I tell you, Anambra people meetings speak their Anambra dialects only, same for Imo and Abia meetings. Nobody speaks central Igbo except compelled to in circumstances whereby the listener finds it difficult to understand what the speaker is saying. Central Igbo was invented specifically to solve the problem of mutual unitelligibility between certain Igbo dialect speakers, and not as the de-facto form of communication among Igbo groups. If everyone understood the listener, he wouldn't feel compelled to revert to Central Igbo but speak his dialect instead. One reason for the preferred use of Northern Igbo in Nollywood movies is the basic fact that everyone generally understands it, irrespective of whether he's from Ebonyi, or Ikwerre, Ukwuani, Ndoni etc and hence the no need to speak Igbo Izugbe. However, not everybody understands Owerri, Ezza, Udi, Nkanu etc. But everyone understands Enugu township Igbo or Onicha or Idemili, Aba Igbo etc. You would readily agree with me on that. There are very few, I mean, very few Nollywood Igbo language movies spoken entirely in Igbo Izugbe. I can't even think of any one to mention right now.

Aba Igbo today is de-concentrated and tilts towards central Igbo because of the location of Aba as a melting-pot of many other Igbo people from other areas. Aba is originally Ngwaland and the original Ngwa Igbo isn't easily deciphered by a non-ngwa.

I'm changing apartments soon and the landlord happens to be from Mbaise. He speaks Anambra Igbo instead with me, even when I try to speak Owerri with him based on the fact that I grew up there he doesn't reply me in an Imo-like dialect.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:25am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@Community/Town meetings away from Igboland are spoken in their respective dialects except an all-inclusive Igbo gathering. I tell you nobody, I mean, nobody speaks perfect central Igbo in daily settings. At the end of the day, to your tents O Israel. I'm currently in Maryland, US and there are so many Nigerians are here. I tell you, Anambra people meetings speak their Anambra dialects only, same for Imo and Abia meetings. Nobody speaks central Igbo except compelled to in circumstances whereby the listener finds it difficult to understand what the speaker is saying. Central Igbo was invented specifically to solve the problem of mutual unitelligibility between certain Igbo dialects, and not as the de-facto form of communication among Igbo groups. If everyone understood the listener, he wouldn't feel compelled to revert to Central Igbo and speak instead his dialect. One reason for the preferred use of Northern Igbo in Nollywood movies is the basic fact that everyone generally understands it, irrespective of whether he's from Ebonyi, or Ikwerre, Ukwuani, Ndoni etc and hence the no need to speak Igbo Izugbe. There are very few, I mean, very few Nollywood Igbo language movies spoken entirely in Igbo Izugbe. I can't even think of any one to mention.

I'm changing apartments soon and the landlord happens to be from Mbaise. He speaks Anambra Igbo instead with me, even when I try to speak Owerri with him based on the fact that I grew up there.
I hope you understand that i meant a non homogenous Igbo meeting or event. They can keep responding in Anambra dialect,that reeks of inferiority complex. That is what i would do.
No dialect is more special than the other. Besides,you can't speak Owerri to an Mbaise man,mbaise dialect is different from Owerri.
I hope you give due honour to who/what deserves it. Central igbo was adopted as a specific medium of instruction owing to the difficulties of earlier dialects: union and isuama igbo.
Secondly, it was used to express non mutually intelligble words, why was mutually intelligiblity found in Igbo izugbe. It also became a defacto language of communication in Urban areas,with time we had NCI and SCI. The standard igbo is what Waec recognizes amongst other Government institutions.
Before long,Ajebutter kids in urban areas could only speak this dialect. This was what prompted Achebe to disapprove this dialect cos he felt it was a western imposition.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:30am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

I hope you understand that i meant a non homogenous Igbo meeting or event. They can keep responding in Anambra dialect,that reeks of inferiority complex. That is what i would do.
No dialect is more special than the other. Besides,you can't speak Owerri to an Mbaise man,mbaise dialect is different from Owerri.

I just remembered my uncle's family friend that visited our house 3 weeks ago, Dr. Ukpabi from Abia state. He's a popular man among the Igbo community here in Maryland. He converses with everyone in Northern Igbo. He hasn't spoken a word of Abiriba all the times I've heard him speak.

I could give you countless more cases like this.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:32am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

I hope you give due honour to who/what deserves it. Central igbo was adopted as a specific medium of instruction owing to the difficulties of earlier dialects: union and isuama igbo.
Secondly, it was used to express non mutually intelligble words, why was mutually intelligiblity found in Igbo izugbe.

@bold...thank you! grin
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:37am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...thank you! grin
I am typing very fast my dear.
That is what i would not do,i meant.
I've had been to Northern Igboland severally,and i only use SCI. .
How does it make you feel now? ;(
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:38am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I just remembered my uncle's family friend that visited our house 3 weeks ago, Dr. Ukpabi from Abia state. He's a popular man among the Igbo community here in Maryland. He converses with everyone in Northern Igbo. He hasn't spoken a word of Abiriba all the times I've heard him speak.

I could give you countless more cases like this.
That is Dr.Ukpabi's business.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:45am On Oct 21, 2014
Apart from nollywood,i don't know the percentage of non Anambra singers that use Anambra.
Bright Chimezie use SCI
Jmartins - SCI
Sir Warrior - SCI
SonyBobo - Owerri
Chimuanya - Owerri
Parley Brown - Ohaji
Duncan Mighty -Ikwerre
Alex O - SCI
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:53am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Secondly, it was used to express non mutually intelligble words, why was mutually intelligiblity found in Igbo izugbe. It also became a defacto language of communication in Urban areas,with time we had NCI and SCI. The standard igbo is what Waec recognizes amongst other Government institutions.

No. Let me reel off history for you. During the early times of Christianity in Igboland, Onicha Igbo was initially used as official language for liturgy (My grandmother has several mass recitals and hymn books written in Onicha) and Onicha people wanted their dialect imposed on other Igbo areas as official Igbo dialect. However, the Imo area (Egbu diocese in particular) rejected the imposition of a foreign dialect on theirs, not necessarily because they did not understand it. Interestingly, at that time before the commonality and proliferation of Onicha as we have today, a few other areas in Ebonyi state did not still understand the Onicha dialect when it was tried to be used in their area.

Isuama Igbo was the Igbo spoken by ex-Igbo slaves in Sierra Leone and was the first Igbo dialect missionaries encountered beyond the shores of Igboland before landing in Igboland and, by mistake, assumed that it was the commonly spoken dialect in Igboland. On arriving Igboland, the search for Isuama Igbo began. Unbeknownst to them, Isuama Igbo was a diffused Igbo dialect of several southern Igbo dialects, given that most of the slaves from Igboland came from southern Igboland, and it wasn't representative of just 1 Igbo dialect in Igboland. Meanwhile the search continued for they felt that it was the mighty solution to the Igbo language dialectical problem. Onicha Igbo was in sharp contrast to Isuama Igbo (Southern Igbo-like) and its rejection by Egbu diocese and environs and certain areas in Ebonyi state further fuelled the search for Isuama Igbo which missionaries felt was the solution that would unite every Igbo group. They traversed the entire nook and cranny of Igboland in search of an ever-elusive Isuama Igbo and on reaching Owerri discovered that Owerri Igbo sounded close to Isuama Igbo though it wasn't exactly like it. They believed they were getting closer to the epicenter and continued further but the search turned out futile as they found out there was no native speaker of the so-called Isuama Igbo.

Union Igbo was formed and used for some time but it failed to gain acceptance and wide usage in Igboland.

Having picked Owerri Igbo as closest to the 'perfect' Isuama Igbo, the consideration of a central Igbo dialect based on Owerri Igbo began. Misiionaries also felt that since Owerri was located somewhat in the middle of Igboland, a central Igbo dialect should be formed out of the dialect. Onicha people countered the argument by saying that if Western Igbos across the River Niger were included, Onicha would be the center of Igboland instead.

Isuama Igbo was critical to the consideration and subsequent selection of an Igbo central dialect based on the Owerri dialect. Read the material for full history.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:54am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
Apart from nollywood,i don't know the percentage of non Anambra singers that use Anambra.
Bright Chimezie use SCI
Jmartins - SCI
Sir Warrior - SCI
SonyBobo - Owerri
Chimuanya - Owerri
Parley Brown - Ohaji
Duncan Mighty -Ikwerre

I mentioned 'hip-hop' singers i.e Kcee. I wasn't referring to native Igbo singers.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:56am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

I am typing very fast my dear.
That is what i would not do,i meant.
I've had been to Northern Igboland severally,and i only use SCI. .
How does it make you feel now? ;(

You're being yourself of course. I expect nothing else from you. But not every southerner like you in Northern Igboland would do like you, you know.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:59am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

No. Let me reel off history for you. During the early times of Christianity in Igboland, Onicha Igbo was initially used as official language for liturgy (My grandmother has several mass recitals and hymn books written in Onicha) and Onicha people wanted their dialect imposed on other Igbo areas as official Igbo dialect. However, the Imo area (Egbu diocese in particular) rejected the imposition of a foreign dialect on theirs, not necessarily because they did not understand it. Interestingly, at that time before the commonality and proliferation of Onicha as we have today, a few other areas in Ebonyi state did not still understand the Onicha dialect when it was tried to be used in their area.

Isuama Igbo was the Igbo spoken by ex-Igbo slaves in Sierra Leone and was the first Igbo dialect missionaries encountered beyond the shores of Igboland and, by mistake, assumed that it was the commonly spoken dialect in Igboland. On arriving Igboland, the search for Isuama Igbo began. Unbeknownst to them, Isuama Igbo was a diffused Igbo dialect of several southern Igbo dialects, given that most of the slaves from Igboland came from southern Igboland, and it wasn't representative of just 1 Igbo dialect in Igboland. Meanwhile the search continued for they felt that it was the mighty solution to the Igbo language dialectical problem. Onicha Igbo was in sharp contrast to Isuama Igbo (Southern Igbo-like) and its rejection by Egbu diocese and environs and certain areas in Ebonyi state further fuelled the search for Isuama Igbo which missionaries felt would was the solution that would unite every Igbo group. They traversed the entire nook and cranny of Igboland in search of an ever-elusive Isuama Igbo and on reaching Owerri discovered that Owerri Igbo sounded close to Isuama Igbo though it wasn't exactly like it. They believed they were getting closer to the epicenter and continued further but the search turned out futile as they found out there was no native speaker of the so-called Isuama Igbo.

Union Igbo was formed and used for some time but it failed to gain acceptance and wide usage in Igboland.

Having picked Owerri Igbo as closest to the 'perfect' Isuama Igbo, the consideration of a central Igbo dialect based on Owerri Igbo began. Misiionaries also felt that since Owerri was located somewhat in the middle of Igboland, a central Igbo dialect should be formed out of the dialect. Onicha people countered the argument by saying that if Western Igbos across the River Niger were included, Onicha would be the center of Igboland instead.

Isuama Igbo was critical to the consideration and subsequent selection of an Igbo central dialect based on the Owerri dialect. Read the material for full history.
Lol,i should read your material,when i have already discussed this in my first post which you decided to ignore?
At the end of the day, Igbo izugbe is based on Southern Igbo dialects.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:02am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

You're being yourself of course. I expect nothing else from you. But not every southerner like you in Northern Igboland would do like you, you know.
It is bit corny when a Northerner expects people to respond in his dialect and travels to the South and still insist on speaking his dialect to others....you see where the unwanton pride and specialness emerges from.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:03am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Odenigbo nwa Idemmili! A fu nwa e lota nnia! Kee ka I mee?

Odogwu nwannem,kee ka obodo di ?
Nnaa,hapu nwoke Imo na obalia di oku...lol
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:04am On Oct 21, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I mentioned 'hip-hop' singers i.e Kcee. I wasn't referring to native Igbo singers.

Kelechi Okonkwo is from Anambra,i guess he should start speaking Ohuhu.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 1:07am On Oct 21, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

Odogwu nwannem,kee ka obodo di ?
Nnaa,hapu nwoke Imo na obalia di oku...lol
Lol, o wuhu about idi oku. O wu about itufu ipa oke a nu n' ala Igbo. O di njoo, o nwehu onye ka ibeya adinma. Anyi dum bu otu. Period.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 1:08am On Oct 21, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

It is bit corny when a Northerner expects people to respond in his dialect and travels to the South and still insist on speaking his dialect to others....you see where the unwanton pride and specialness emerges from.

Simply because everybody understands him! He isn't forcing the many southerners who reply him constantly in his dialect, is he? wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Juju Claims Are Fraudulent: An African Fetish (Published In 1905) / Happy Easter 2015 Wishes, Messages, Quotes / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.