Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,923 members, 7,814,103 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! (50821 Views)

Some Facts About Medical Students And Medical School #pictures / Medical Students Protest, Lock UNILAG Gate (Photos) / Afe Babalola University Hikes Fees Of Medical Students From 1.7m to 2.6m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Samgreguc(m): 7:20pm On Oct 08, 2014
lrguru:
COREN and NSE are just there for nothin, they are there to extort money from engineers in a bid to give them certificates. I see no reason why a graduate of engineering will start from level 8 step 3 in the state civil service and earn less than 50k net salary (in Delta state) that's an abuse on my personality, when even architect start from level 9. Engineering is a great profession, but sadly its been abused in this country and no one is there to bail us out even our so-called COREN. Anyways I got fed up with the bullshit, so I had to trade places. I got my own construction company now, and I still am a Federal worker.

No time for Nonsense.

I represent Mechanical Engineering, class of 2006, UNIBEN
ARCHI= 6yrs b4 NYSC,
ENGINE= 4/5yrs b4 NYSC.
U nw c d reason sheay.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by billyG(m): 7:32pm On Oct 08, 2014
Which kind engineers dey naija were we kno get power,no fit manufacture bicycle tyre not 2 talk car,no good roads,engnrs 4 naija no try at all.most engine grads won work 4 banks dem know no hjow 2 start eng.practice on dia own,now dem won earn like docs wey dey treat deadly disease,were dey see yama yama evry damn day wey fit make person lose his appetite 4 meat.

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by JhyMedex: 11:17pm On Oct 08, 2014
candygosh:

Yes you r right. I'm ovulating. Clap for urself for an award for the greatest ode.
y nt spread doz legs... I can make it go away.. wink
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Drdonzeez(m): 11:55pm On Oct 08, 2014
How many of these machines have you produced?
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Drdonzeez(m): 12:06am On Oct 09, 2014
How many graduates does your so called chevron,shell employ annually...in medical profession,you can only under_employed but never unemployed
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 7:02am On Oct 09, 2014
Samgreguc:

ARCHI= 6yrs b4 NYSC,
ENGINE= 4/5yrs b4 NYSC.
U nw c d reason sheay.
Engine: 5yrs. I don't think there's any school in Nigeria where its yrs
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Feraz(m): 7:58am On Oct 09, 2014
GreatMan5:
OP, you need to understand that during National Youth Service, medical corps members are working as fully qualified medical practitioners (doctors). Their medical curriculum allows them to attain professional status whilst studying for their bachelor's degree (MBBS - Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery). Same applies to lawyers, who go to Law School and are called to Bar before undergoing the National Youth Service scheme. Consequently, both medical and law corps members are entitled to their full professional titles, 'Dr' and 'Bar' respectively, during NYSC.
Meanwhile, the situation is different for engineering corps members, who are just fresh university graduates, and are not yet professional engineers. In Nigeria, you need your B.Eng degree plus additional four years of post-NYSC engineering experience for you to be eligible for registration as a professional engineer. In other parts of the world, like the UK for example, engineering graduates require advanced degrees such as a M.Eng or MSc in Engineering plus some years of relevant industry experience before they can become chartered engineers. It's tough enough to be an engineering graduate; yet, it's even tougher for one to become a professional or chartered engineer. The world over, there are so many graduate engineers, but very few professional (chartered) engineers.
Based on my assertions above, it can be easily seen that the medical corps members are earning what they deserve. They come to NYSC with clinical experience, which enables them to immediately hit the ground running. Whereas, engineering graduates are teaching Physics in secondary schools and are adequately remunerated as 'teachers', not as 'professional engineers'. So, you shouldn't expect the government to treat you like they do to doctors; corps members from both disciplines are rendering different levels of services to the government during National Youth Service. Do not expect this to change immediately, because Nigeria is not a technology creating nation yet. As long as we remain a technology consuming (instead of technology creating) nation, our young engineering graduates would continue to teach during national youth service. The government cannot afford to place all engineering corps members in engineering companies, as such companies do not exist in the first place. The only way forward is for the government to provide the right environment and legislation to deliberately attract manufacturing companies and private sector's participation in the technological development of the nation. No nation can develop or succeed in the present world without developing its engineering or technological capacities. There is the popular saying that, "You are what you eat." Same way, a nation is what its engineering or technology is. So, you can easily see the reason why Nigeria is like this.
You also need to know that engineers can't be appreciated like their counterparts in the medical and legal professions (doctors and lawyers). The reason is simple: engineers don't deal directly with people in the society, meanwhile doctors treat their patients one-on-one; and lawyers attend to their clients one-on-one, so they are able to win the admiration of the public and are appreciated accordingly. Imagine a doctor coming to the rescue of a dying man, he would never forget how a doctor 'saved' his life and therefore, he would highly esteem medicine. Same applies to an innocent man who was erroneously sentenced to death, but his lawyers were able to prove his innocence and got him acquitted at last. Such a man would be so excited about lawyers that he would even want all his children to study law, if possible (lol).
Engineering is akin to the 'man behind the orchestra'. He conducts and dictates the melodious symphony of the orchestra. He doesn't play any instruments and so, doesn't get noticed. However, without him, there would be no orchestra and the performance would be a total fiasco and in disarray. The engineer stays in the design office thinking of how to make the world a better place for all. Engineering is the singular profession that has impacted our world the most; by using the almighty power of mathematics, engineering has completely changed our world for good. All professions look up to engineering for their own development (medicine and law inclusive). If you take engineering/technology away from medicine, doctors would become mere herbalists or native doctors - without syringes, stethoscope and all medical devices, there would be no modern day medicine. Medicine is what it is today; thanks to engineering. If you take engineering/technology away from legal practice, lawyers would become mere hearsayers as there would be no credible means of evidence to support their cases. Take technology away from banking, transportation, tourism, agriculture, business, entertainment, etc., and the world would become dark, void and shapeless again, as it were in the beginning according to the scriptures.
Engineering holds all other professions together. Engineering is what makes a nation 'developed' or 'under-developed'. No nation can be great because of medicine, if the nation's engineering is poor. Nations can only be great because of its advanced engineering and technology. The major achievements of the world are all engineering achievements: things like putting man on the moon; a robot on Mars; the international space station, the airplane; the internet; rocket, submarines, etc. Engineers don't compete with anyone because they are so unique. So my friend, be proud that you're an engineer. Don't allow the 19k 'allowee' cause you to despair. Do your best to develop the right skills as an engineer, by the time you arrive, you would put those doctors on your payroll as your personal or family doctors. I earned 8k during my youth service and taught Physics too in a secondary school, but today it's a completely different story. Whilst our medical friends are scampering for jobs in federal health institutions, we are touring the world, having fun as engineers.
I love doctors because they save lives directly. For this reason, medicine will always be the most noble profession in the world. Whether you like it or not, you have to accept it, my friend. Nigeria is a technology consuming nation and so cannot appreciate engineering properly. Technologically developed nations respect and honour engineering and engineers. Hopefully, we will get there someday. Engineering rules the world!
You really are a great man. Thumbs up sir!
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Heart2heart(m): 5:43pm On Oct 09, 2014
well said...if we shut out biomedical engineering, will they work?? will doctors work?
Functionoftime:

chai.... See ignorance oooo. Make i lecture this baby doctor small.
You need engineer, that's why we have biomedical engineers. Before now, did you care to know who designed and built the machine and devices you use in your field? If yes, you won't say we should leave your field alone. In advanced countries, devices and robots are being designed to administer drugs directly to where it is needed in the body and to perform surgical operations. With advancements in BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING, common doctors will soon be relegated to nothing. Mark my words
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by brilliant5(m): 7:17pm On Oct 15, 2014
mytym:

I don't know where or how you came about this inference but as much as i know that the medical school is not a joke, Engineering schools throughout the world is known to drive students to the end of their wits, nigeria is worse. If u think engineering students flex in school, go watch 3idiots nd imagine wat the nigerian version may look like but if you think that is just a movie, then u can as well remove the 'brilliant' in your monicker.
keep hating... Nig engn schools r nt lk the one u find in 3 idiot.
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by brilliant5(m): 7:19pm On Oct 15, 2014
Kizmarty:

are you serious?
what do u really mean by sweat if its what am thinking..then youre damn wrong....i doubt u know what u really posted.....

some peeps just feel like posting even wen they barely know a thing concerning the discussionsad
Dear d rigours of medical schools r nutin compared to dat of engr... Dats d sweat
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by chuggy(m): 10:06am On Oct 16, 2014
Dedoo:

op you forgot to mention FOOD ENGINEERS who design and fabricate food machines and ensure we all get standard food products in stores.
. A round of applause for u dear. I Rep Food & Bio Process Engineering (B.Eng).

1 Like

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:09am On Oct 17, 2014
Nwachiizu:

I will advice you. When you apply for next Jamb put Metallurgical and Materials Enigineering (FUTO) and try have a first class or a very good 2-1. You will thank me later.
ok
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 2:16am On Oct 17, 2014
lol... Funny comments
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Janyves(m): 2:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
Feraz:
You really are a great man. Thumbs up sir!

shocked cool well said!
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Odunukwe30: 3:05pm On Jan 16, 2015
another difference is that engineering students write projects like this
SUSTAINING JIT MANUFACTURING IN NIGERIA MOTOR ASSEMBLY INDUSTRY – A CASE OF ANAMBRA MOTOR MANUFACTURING COMPANY (ANAMMCO), ENUGU
http://uniprojectsearch.com/sustaining-jit…-anammco-enugu/
while medical students write projects with topics like this
Prevalence of Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Deficiency Among Apparently Healthy Children
continue...
http://uniprojectsearch.com/glucose6phosph…althy-children/
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2015
why dont the op complain why armed robbers & kidnappers earn more than him. Why did he not study medicine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 18, 2015
Greensaint:
why dont the op complain why armed robbers & kidnappers earn more than him. Why did he not study medicine.

so this topic is still being dragged well to your question I believe studying medicine might not have given me the fulfilment I'm getting as an Engineer. so I believe a profession is being pursuit for passions sake
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Chiemeka30: 11:27pm On Feb 19, 2015
Casing Design of a Two Hanger Casing System
http://www.uniprojectsearch.com/casing-design-hanger-casing-system/

This Petroleum Engineering project topic and materials is fantastic
Check for your department.. www.uniprojecrsearch.com
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by peteofi(m): 2:52pm On Jul 19, 2015
jairusben:
what av u manufacture in nigeria..look at ur mouth like without us
Too bad you are ignorant. Which disease or drugs has any Nigerian doctor discovered. Abi u wan just comment?
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Nelsonzeno: 8:20am On Nov 21, 2016
oluwato69sin:
Mehn after all this madness turning study ,you gotta respect me oh. Rep 400 level mech eng bellstech
pls aw much do u pay @ belltech...nd is it annum or per semester
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Onwodi1: 1:05pm On Dec 28, 2016
Josh1000:

You see In medical school we start writing Professional Exams at least for medical and dental students in 200L (part 1) we are really toughened

so pls I think high renumeration is fair and 6 yrs in school ain't easy!!!

our colleagues in engineering should also be looked out for sha

My brova we do all d above too o !
Med is Good bt when u compare input of d two u only do dat with limited resources because u haven't taken Any Engineering Exam. I av .
Av u manufactured or produce any medicine without consulting or using apparatuses manufactured by us. Do u know anything abt nanotechnology ?
U r Good bt show me who is better than an Engineer ? How many mathematical engineering Theorems have u derived in ur life
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by Odeyinigbin(m): 5:31pm On Jun 21, 2017

I'm not jealous its just funny that's all,but d basic salary of an Engineer is alarming in the industry

Its not to late to write another jamb
Hh boy,I will advice u cross to medicine
Re: The "BIG" Gap Between Engineering And Medical Students! by lilliesboy(m): 5:18pm On Oct 13, 2017
fr3do:

Would people die in all these building collapses if qualified civil engineers were used?

The body has natural immunity, antibodies, leutocytes and natural healing capabilities.

But buildings don't build themselves!
Vehicles don't manufacture themselves!
The electrocardiogram and defibrillator used in monitoring and restoring vitals are products of elect. Engrs.
Their surgical blades are products of production engrs.

What is modern medicine without engineering?!

Engineers should be treated fairly! angry

#200L-EEE
Every graduate of a discipline in Nigeria has something to complain about their pay.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

African Sex Story [story] Taxi Driver Part 1 / NOUN Student Denied Access Into Exam Hall Over Indecent Dressing (pics/video) / Can I Still Graduate With A First Class With This My 100level Cgpa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.