Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,688 members, 7,831,129 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

"Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) (1329 Views)

Why My Convoy Deserves A New Car- Saraki / Sorry, But Blame Your Colonial Emperor For Making Lagos A No-mans-land / Lagos Apc Primaries: Delegates, Before You Decide On Ambode Versus Shasore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Balkan(m): 11:23pm On Oct 08, 2014

LAGOS—A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, and former Lagos State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Olasupo Shasore, has canvassed for a special status to be accorded to Lagos, owing to its importance and uniqueness in the history of Nigeria.

Shasore made this call in Lagos, during a media briefing ahead of the public presentation and launch of his new book; POSSESSED: A History of Law and Justice in the Crown Colony of Lagos: 1861 – 1906.

Arguing that Lagos played, and still plays a very significant and unique role in the evolution of Nigeria, the former commissioner said ‘’The recognition to be given Lagos is because of its uniqueness, which it doesn’t share with any part of Nigeria. It is the truth that there had to be a colony in Lagos before there could be a colony in Nigeria.’’

He noted that it is very important to emphasise the outstanding and special status of Lagos in order to put into proper context ‘’Where we are coming from, where we are now and where we are going,’’ adding that history puts human experience in context and allows us understand ourselves as a people and culture; and helps people understand past triumphs and tragedies, so as to fashion out a way to succeed where others have failed.’’

The Senior Advocate of Nigeria, in his bid to outline the uniqueness of Lagos, pointed out that, during the colonial era, ‘’There were people from all walks of life, from all parts of the West Coast of Africa, living in the colony of Lagos, who proudly referred to themselves as Lagos-Africans, which forged a great sense of unity and communion and de-emphasised ethnicity into a much larger picture, thereby giving them the force to survive, and ultimately defeat colonialism.’’

According to him, one of the reasons he wrote the book is to highlight the true strength and position of the former federal capital in the history of Nigeria, and also to use it galvanise people to recognise, and emulate the gift that Lagos will always offer to the existence of the country.

Explaining why he wrote the book, which foreword was written by Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, from a legal perspective, the former commissioner said ‘’I have chosen law and justice for obvious reasons; largely to do with my principal vocation as a lawyer. I am privileged to be able to write on history and law, subjects for which I have considerable curiosity and passion; but which is by no means intended to be a comprehensive history of Lagos.

‘’It is merely an account through records of the interplay between pride and prejudice, power, liberty and the struggle for the independent development of Lagos.’’

When asked what readers should expect in the book, Shasore stated ‘’In this book, I have tried to employ narrative history for several reasons, not the least being the desire to tell the story from recorded fact, to avoid interpretative ambiguity.’’

He added, however, that he expects a flurry of critical responses, analysis, counter-claims and outright rejection from interested parties, and readers.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/lagos-deserves-special-status-says-ex-lagos-ag/#sthash.UGtQjfb3.dpuf

I certainly Agree. Lagos is a no mans Land and a Minister should be appointed instead of Governor just like Abuja. Lagos is the business capital of Nigeria and should be seen as that.
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by REMMEI(m): 11:33pm On Oct 08, 2014
Una wan start wetin una no fit finish again abi?... contunu!

2 Likes

Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Balkan(m): 11:39pm On Oct 08, 2014
REMMEI:
Una wan start wetin una no fit finish again abi?... contunu!
That's your brothers candid opinion
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by oduastates: 11:44pm On Oct 08, 2014
Special status is the same as entitlement or should I say welfare.
These slowpokes seem not to get the message.
Begging for your own money?
Lagos must get derivation on all the income derived from her shores.

1 Like

Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Balkan(m): 11:53pm On Oct 08, 2014
oduastates:
Special status is the same as entitlement or should I say welfare.
These slowpokes seem not to get the message.
B going for your own money?
Lagos must get derivation on all the income derived from her shores.
minister should be appointed for Lagos state. it has the same status as Abuja
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Energito: 11:59pm On Oct 08, 2014
Then Enugu should be given the same.
Balkan:

I certainly Agree. Lagos is a no mans Land and a Minister should be appointed instead of Governor just like Abuja. Lagos is the business capital of Nigeria and should be seen as that.
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Balkan(m): 12:09am On Oct 09, 2014
Energito:
Then Enugu should be given the same.
Enugu was never a capital of Nigeria. so leave Enugu out of this

n
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 3:15am On Oct 09, 2014
grin
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Energito: 7:04am On Oct 09, 2014
Balkan:
Enugu was never a capital of Nigeria. so leave Enugu out of this

n
taa then forget about lagos
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Balkan(m): 9:04am On Oct 09, 2014
Energito:
taa then forget about lagos
it is not a bad Idea. Lagos was built with the federal money.
so to be fair to all stake holders what we need is a minister not governor
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Simpsonrocket(m): 9:10am On Oct 09, 2014
Yes
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Nobody: 9:14am On Oct 09, 2014
Unna don start unna walaha again.

These people and Lagos State shaaaa

Why the fixation nah?
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 09, 2014
Since when did special status equate to no man's land? Instead of them to look for ways to build their region, they are busy coveting another man's. So stupidd
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Balkan(m): 9:25am On Oct 09, 2014
Segeggs:
Since when did special status equate to no man's land? Instead of them to look for ways to build their region, they are busy coveting another man's. So stupidd
its your brother SAN that brought the idea, and i think its commendable. Lagos state have suffered enough. The FG should upgrade the status as federal territory like Abuja
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 09, 2014
Balkan:
its your brother SAN that brought the idea, and i think its commendable. Lagos state have suffered enough. The FG should upgrade the status as federal territory like Abuja
so in your own language, special status equals to no man's land? So abuja being FCT is also no man's land. Ndigbo and dream land
Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Balkan(m): 9:42am On Oct 09, 2014
If Lagos is declared as part of federal territory all the roads and
amenities will be federal standard. lets advocate for Lagos as Federal territory.
its good for Lagosians

1 Like

Re: "Lagos Deserves A Spacial Status" Mr. Olasupo Shasore SAN (no Mans Land) by Balkan(m): 9:45am On Oct 09, 2014
Segeggs:
so in your own language, special status equals to no man's land? So abuja being FCT is also no man's land. Ndigbo and dream land
Abuja is No Man's Land. no body can claim ownership because its a neutral ground. lets face the fact.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Akpabio Is Nervously Desperate- Bassey Albert Akpan Will Be Arrested Soon / I Am Going Back To The Classroom - Fayemi / Why I Built New Ekiti Government House – Fayemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.