Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction (32626 Views)

Name and faces of 12 Soldiers Sentenced To Death For ‘shooting’ GOC / 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death / 50 Terrorists, 12 Soldiers, Policemen Feared Killed In Borno Attacks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Nobody: 6:43am On Oct 09, 2014
A former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), has dragged the Nigerian Army before a Federal High Court in Abuja, challenging the death sentence passed by the military General Court Martial on 12 soldiers.

A nine-man GCM had on September 16, 2014, pronounced 12 Nigerian soldiers guilty of mutiny and consequently sentenced them to death by firing squad.
But Agbakoba, in a suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/708/2014, is contesting the legality of the military tribunal.

According to him, the composition of the GCM violated Section 36(1) of the 1999 Constitution, which preserves the right of an accused person to fair hearing.
The lawyer argued further that sections 133(3)(4) and (5) of the Armed Forces Act, which empowered the GCM, was null and void since it was inconsistent with section 36(1) of the 1999 Constitution.
In the affidavit in support of his suit, Agbakoba averred that it was unlawful for the Commander of the Army Headquarters Garrison, Mogadishu Cantonment, Brig. Gen. D.T. Ndiomu, to single-handedly appoint all the members of the military tribunal.

He said since all the members of the GCM were soldiers appointed by Ndiomu, the convicted soldiers were denied their right to independence and impartial trial.
The senior advocate said, “The independence and impartiality of the court martial was not secured in the trial of the soldiers. This is because all those who participated in the events related to the court martial were Army officers. They were the investigators, the prosecutors, the president, the judge advocate, the waiting member, and other members of the court martial.”

The suit filed under the Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules 2009 is seeking, among other reliefs, “a declaration that the convening and composition of the Army General Court Martial which convicted and sentenced the 12 soldiers to death by firing squad for various offences on September 16, 2014 is contrary to Section 36(1) of the Constitution of the Nigeria, 1999.”
Agbakoba is praying the court to set aside the death sentence on the 12 soldiers.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/agbakoba-sues-army-over-12-soldiers-conviction/

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by bist: 6:45am On Oct 09, 2014
[size=38pt]holy sh.it, WTF, FTC[/size].
It aint beans mehn!!!

Space for sale!

6 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Adenugay(m): 6:49am On Oct 09, 2014
Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Austindark(m): 6:49am On Oct 09, 2014
is true let them at least be allowed a fair hearing. is the natural right.

not even now that we are deficient of soldiers.

I know gej will intervene favorably, he is a good man

12 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 09, 2014
Whatz this bloody civilian tryna do
He should leave the military to their ruling & go do what he knows how to do best "civilian ruling"

I believe if those given the death sentence where found guilty shouldn't be pardoned.
I mean,the army isn't jst a unified body where you make your own decisions,being an army comes with much work of full dedication & commitment in protecting your country...

I think they should face the sentence passed upon them to serve as a deterrent to others trying to follow same part,besides the motto has always been clear "Obey the last order".

If the Nigerian military men were chosen from nairaland,i think by now Nigeria would have been at the verge of collapse...Countries like Ghana,Sudan, Cameroon & others would have been a threat to us.

The military is meant for strong hearted men,not the timid men i see over here attacking me for being mean & wicked.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by lilprinze: 6:50am On Oct 09, 2014
They should at least be given a fair hearing, instead of just sentencing them to death like chickens after they have tried to protect this nation with their lives.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by indomitable234: 6:50am On Oct 09, 2014
Nice one,we pray for the release of our gallant soldiers who fight so we can av peace,who stay awake so we can sleep
God is their strength

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by bigt2(m): 6:50am On Oct 09, 2014
Sue the army!? That's brave

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by priscaoge(f): 6:50am On Oct 09, 2014
The court should pardon those soldiers naaaa angry Since they decided to let those Boko Haramites Who surrendered to live,why can't they pardon our gallant soldiers Who fight day and night for the safety of the nation undecided They shouldn't be denied their right. They should be allowed a fair hearing. It's their constitutional right!!!

Abi is it now a crime to be a soldier in this country

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 09, 2014
I pray he wins.

14 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by remmyton(f): 6:52am On Oct 09, 2014
MODs check †ђε front page button, it seems to be working on its own

@topic, they shud not be denied their rights

4 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by sammieguze(m): 6:52am On Oct 09, 2014
priscaoge:
The court should pardon those soldiers naaaa angry *****Since they decided to let those Boko Haramites Who surrendered to live,why can't they pardon our gallant soldiers Who fight day and night for the safety of the nation undecided***** They shouldn't be denied their right. They should be allowed a fair hearing. It's their constitutional right!!!
Abi is it now a crime to be a soldier in this country

you have said it all

madridfc:
I pray he wins.

same here.

I don't blame those soldiers one bit.

Their situation is like that of David and goliat. Not everybody can be as lucky as David was

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by fourlarring(m): 6:52am On Oct 09, 2014
#Family court

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 09, 2014
ok

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by EbuGeneral(m): 6:52am On Oct 09, 2014

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Jeezuzpick(m): 6:52am On Oct 09, 2014
Someone's prayers are being answered!

4 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by egift(m): 6:52am On Oct 09, 2014
Good. The Commander-In-Chief is hiding. Top Army Bosses are sharing Security budget allocation. And when our soldiers complain, they will be sentenced to death. Make them no try that nonsense.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 09, 2014
I am not into law but common sense and reason tells me (In fact, as seen on movies) that the actions of those soldiers was grave.
They attacked (opened fire) at a very senior military personnel. That is so wrong.
I do not see any other punishment to give them other than that.
I trust GEJ anyway, he may want to look into it but of course not so soon.

7 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by gratiaeo(m): 6:53am On Oct 09, 2014
They should be pardoned

5 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Yee80: 6:53am On Oct 09, 2014
It is well sha
I know

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by dridowu: 6:53am On Oct 09, 2014
Once you are in the army, noting like mutiny. If not the corruption in Nigeria , those junior staffs would not have protestes against their seniors. They should please have justice on them

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by kevoh(m): 6:54am On Oct 09, 2014
Abeg make dem try change those soldiers death sentence to like 10 years or something.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by pamcom(m): 6:54am On Oct 09, 2014
They should be forgiven

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 09, 2014
D

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by davidflipcy(m): 6:55am On Oct 09, 2014
Though they are guilty and their punishment is death. Jonathan can intervene since he is the commander in chief of the armed forces. They should temper justice with mercy bikonu.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 09, 2014
Smh to dose space bookers tho!

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by amakufrancis(m): 6:55am On Oct 09, 2014

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by princeunugwa: 6:55am On Oct 09, 2014
they can't kill those soldiers. Am sure of that

2 Likes

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by olamonsor2: 6:56am On Oct 09, 2014
Justice we need.
Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Adenugay(m): 6:56am On Oct 09, 2014
Austindark:
is true let them at least be allowed a fair hearing. is the natural right.

not even now that we are deficient of soldiers.

I know gej will intervene favorably, he is a good man

YABATECH Acceptance Fee Payment and Registration Guide 2014/2015 Academic Session

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by shizzle11(m): 6:57am On Oct 09, 2014
Good one Agbakoba, that court martial should not stand

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction by Nobody: 6:57am On Oct 09, 2014
Hmm. See planned work. Military death sentence doesn't take this long to execute. I knew they didn't want those soldiers dead but they have to make it appear formal. Only God know how much they've paid this former NBA president to act in this movie of making the case look formal.

Anyway, good plan!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Will Amaechi And Fashola Make The Ministerial List? / Army Condemns Cowardly Attitude Of Soldiers Who Fled From Bokoharam / Why Did EFCC Refuse To Investigate The Following People?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.