Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,201 members, 7,811,533 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? (1887 Views)

BREAKING! Tension As IPOB, MASSOB Order Fulani Herdsmen To Vacate South South An / ‎Boko Haram: Israel Steps Into The Fight / Crowd Welcome The Army & CJTF After Victory Against Boko Haram [Photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by dekronik: 7:10pm On Oct 11, 2014
Everyones favorite bad boy Fulan Nasirullah is at it again. He indirectly suggets that Nigeria utilise fulani herdsmen as spies in the fight against BH. Do you support this idea? Read and judge for yourself.

A Side Thought

October 9, 2014 Arewa/Northern Nigeria, Conflict And Wars, Nigeria, Situational Analysis(SITANs)Boko Haram, Fulani, Fulbe, Miyetti Allah

I think the best intelligence gathering network in Nigeria is Miyetti Allah, the Fulbe cattle rearers association. With scores of thousands of Fulani cattle herders and their families moving all around the country as members of Miyetti Allah, these guys are the most reliable source of information on happenings in any area, no matter how remote for the news media it is..

Another advantage Miyetti Allah has is that its nomads usually can enter into places not even the Nigerian Army can. This is because Fulbe nomads are a close-knit society, you touch one and you have touched all. Thus usually no matter the issues the locals have with themselves, they usually leave the Fulbe and their cattle alone. Acting otherwise and attacking them usually unleashes an endless cycle of revenge with Fulbe nomads all the way from Darfur to Senegal mobilizing to come take revenge.

A good example is Jos. When the Hausa and the Beroms (backed by the Igbos) were busy killing themselves in the 2000s, the Fulani stayed aloof and neutral until some Berom who were Christian Evangelical fanatics attacked a Fulani settlement in Vom, Plateau State in November 2008 and killed over a hundred Fulbe women and kids. Then the Fulbe from all over, including places as diverse as Darfur and Guinea-Bissau began coming down to Plateau State, one clan or family at a time to carry out revenge attacks for that attack on their kin in Plateau State. Thus today the Fulanis who attack Berom villages in Plateau State are mostly those who just arrived in the state after migrating from such far away lands (Senegal, Darfur, Central Africa etc) to come avenge attacks by Berom on Fulbe settlements that occurred maybe 2-3 years ago (it takes time to trek on foot with cattle from Darfur). So normally you find nobody wants to mess with the Fulbe who when attack tend to keep taking revenge until they wipe out their enemy totally.

A second reason is that unless you want to stop eating beef, goat and ram, its advisable to not inconvenience or aggravate the Fulbe. They control the livestock trade in Nigeria because they are the only ones wiling to put up with the rigours of living a nomadic lifestyle..

So you find out that no matter the conflict, Fulbe nomads usually have access to areas otherwise closed off.

From what I know, Boko Haram has not attacked the Fulbe cattle-rearers and neither have they prevented them from migrating through routes inside insurgent-occupied territory. Apart from non-government employee/non-Christian indigenes of communities occupied by Boko Haram, Fulbe cattle rearers are the only ones who seem to be allowed to go in and out of occupied areas.

On another note, my next SITREP will be about the past failed advance by insurgent forces on Vimtim, Adamawa State.

I will also post a several part piece on Boko Haram organizational structure soon.

http://fulansitrep./2014/10/09/a-side-thought/

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by overhypedsteve(m): 7:57pm On Oct 11, 2014
dekronik:
Everyones favorite bad boy Fulan Nasirullah is at it again. He indirectly suggets that Nigeria utilise fulani herdsmen as spies in the fight against BH. Do you support this idea? Read and judge for yourself.

A Side Thought

October 9, 2014 Arewa/Northern Nigeria, Conflict And Wars, Nigeria, Situational Analysis(SITANs)Boko Haram, Fulani, Fulbe, Miyetti Allah

I think the best intelligence gathering network in Nigeria is Miyetti Allah, the Fulbe cattle rearers association. With scores of thousands of Fulani cattle herders and their families moving all around the country as members of Miyetti Allah, these guys are the most reliable source of information on happenings in any area, no matter how remote for the news media it is..

Another advantage Miyetti Allah has is that its nomads usually can enter into places not even the Nigerian Army can. This is because Fulbe nomads are a close-knit society, you touch one and you have touched all. Thus usually no matter the issues the locals have with themselves, they usually leave the Fulbe and their cattle alone. Acting otherwise and attacking them usually unleashes an endless cycle of revenge with Fulbe nomads all the way from Darfur to Senegal mobilizing to come take revenge.

A good example is Jos. When the Hausa and the Beroms (backed by the Igbos) were busy killing themselves in the 2000s, the Fulani stayed aloof and neutral until some Berom who were Christian Evangelical fanatics attacked a Fulani settlement in Vom, Plateau State in November 2008 and killed over a hundred Fulbe women and kids. Then the Fulbe from all over, including places as diverse as Darfur and Guinea-Bissau began coming down to Plateau State, one clan or family at a time to carry out revenge attacks for that attack on their kin in Plateau State. Thus today the Fulanis who attack Berom villages in Plateau State are mostly those who just arrived in the state after migrating from such far away lands (Senegal, Darfur, Central Africa etc) to come avenge attacks by Berom on Fulbe settlements that occurred maybe 2-3 years ago (it takes time to trek on foot with cattle from Darfur). So normally you find nobody wants to mess with the Fulbe who when attack tend to keep taking revenge until they wipe out their enemy totally.

A second reason is that unless you want to stop eating beef, goat and ram, its advisable to not inconvenience or aggravate the Fulbe. They control the livestock trade in Nigeria because they are the only ones wiling to put up with the rigours of living a nomadic lifestyle..

So you find out that no matter the conflict, Fulbe nomads usually have access to areas otherwise closed off.

From what I know, Boko Haram has not attacked the Fulbe cattle-rearers and neither have they prevented them from migrating through routes inside insurgent-occupied territory. Apart from non-government employee/non-Christian indigenes of communities occupied by Boko Haram, Fulbe cattle rearers are the only ones who seem to be allowed to go in and out of occupied areas.

On another note, my next SITREP will be about the past failed advance by insurgent forces on Vimtim, Adamawa State.

I will also post a several part piece on Boko Haram organizational structure soon.

http://fulansitrep./2014/10/09/a-side-thought/
foolan and his foolish sitreps

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by cirmuell(m): 8:01pm On Oct 11, 2014
He should shut up please, fulbe Allah my butt undecided
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by oweniwe(m): 9:26pm On Oct 11, 2014
look at isis.... They were american sponsored at first.... Now they're a big problem.

America is repeating the same mistake by arming syrian rebels to fight isis.

Borrowing a debt in order to pay another debt...

Digging a crater in order to fill a crater...

To suggest that Nigeria army disguise as boko haram and kill innocent fulani people..... Innocent lives..... U dont shed innocent blood and go scot free. Whether u like it or not, karma will caught up with u and whoop ur ass well well angry
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by dekronik: 7:04am On Oct 12, 2014
oweniwe:
look at isis.... They were american sponsored at first.... Now they're a big problem.

America is repeating the same mistake by arming syrian rebels to fight isis.

Borrowing a debt in order to pay another debt...

Digging a crater in order to fill a crater...

To suggest that Nigeria army disguise as boko haram and kill innocent fulani people..... Innocent lives..... U dont shed innocent blood and go scot free. Whether u like it or not, karma will caught up with u and whoop ur ass well well angry

I believe you. That's how Janja weed was created in Sudan. That is the main reason why we need to be very carefull on how we utilise the so-called civilian JTF in Maiduguri. We don't wanna create another ethnic militia in trying to solve one.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by khattab02: 9:30am On Oct 12, 2014
I don't think that's a nice Idea, the insurgents might be allowing them free pass but the day they will know that they are spy, I don't think any of them will survive including their livestocks. Moreover how intelligent can they be?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by hakanai(m): 10:24am On Oct 12, 2014
I once thought about this. That someday the BH in there blunders attack the Fulani and by extension drag them into the war. I can assure the BH will prefer hiding in the cities to the current remote heavens they enjoy running too. They write up to a large extent is true. If the BH touches/provokes the fulani , it will be a bloody one in the bush! The army can simply go to sleep. Because both are masters of the wilderness,survivors of harsh terrains and enduring bloody fighters!

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 12, 2014
The guy's suggestion is not bad at all! At least he is not saying that fulanis should be armed more than they already are now, but that they should be used as spies and more so they will never be part of the actual fight, they will only givr information and if the BH dare attack them then BH is on their own!
I strongly beleive that this suggestion is already being used by the NA authority! I was once around the entrance to an old army barrack in Azare, Bauchi state and I saw this large herd of camel being led by a fulani man, but to my surprise I saw the fulani man hanging out with the soldiers under a tree, they were just freely interacting!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by dekronik: 12:14pm On Oct 12, 2014
wazoboy:
The guy's suggestion is not bad at all! At least he is not saying that fulanis should be armed more than they already are now, but that they should be used as spies and more so they will never be part of the actual fight, they will only givr information and if the BH dare attack them then BH is on their own!
I strongly beleive that this suggestion is already being used by the NA authority! I was once around the entrance to an old army barrack in Azare, Bauchi state and I saw this large herd of camel being led by a fulani man, but to my surprise I saw the fulani man hanging out with the soldiers under a tree, they were just freely interacting!

Its possible. The army will not come out openly and admit it but its a possibility. The greatest mistake BH will do is to attack the fulani herdsmen. They really cannot sustain the tempo of the rampaging fulani men who will come from Guinea Bissau,Kenya,Senegal,Niger etc.
These guys have a very strong network.
I personally have a friend from Adamawa state who told me he is originally from Guinea Bissau. He told me that his father was born here but the dad visited their relatives in Guinea Bissau as recent as three years ago. He will accompany the dad on his next visit. So there chain is strong.

BUT, for the case of using them in the fight against BH this is something else.

This is a security issue and I'm not an expert. So I won't tell the army what to do.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by idumuose(m): 1:39pm On Oct 12, 2014
wazoboy:

....but to my surprise I saw the fulani man hanging out with the soldiers under a tree, they were just freely interacting!
Yet the moles in the army will inform boko haram about the new strategy of deploying the Fulani as spies.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by dekronik: 3:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
idumuose:

Yet the moles in the army will inform boko haram about the new strategy of deploying the Fulani as spies.

I doubt if the army will buy the idea.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by OreMI22: 3:34pm On Oct 13, 2014
For N100 million naira, I can denounce my faith and convert to become a Christian,Jew, Buddist but never Muslim!

Even if you dash me N100 billion, i won't become a muslim because they will use you for suicide bombings,rape children and to kill innocent people. grin
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by jmaine: 4:29pm On Oct 13, 2014
The Kanuris are known to very fierce warriors who don't shy away from conflicts, the Fulani won't be able to survive any conflicts deep in the strongholds of the Kanuris.

If BH senses that the Fulbe are a major threat, they won't hesitate to deal ruthlessly with them. I don't see how this solution will work in the long term afterall, BH have been rustling Fulani cattle's with reckless abandon without blinking . . . .
Re: Fulani Herdsmen To Be Used In The Fight Against Boko Haram? by dekronik: 6:29pm On Oct 14, 2014
jmaine:
The Kanuris are known to very fierce warriors who don't shy away from conflicts, the Fulani won't be able to survive any conflicts deep in the strongholds of the Kanuris.

If BH senses that the Fulbe are a major threat, they won't hesitate to deal ruthlessly with them. I don't see how this solution will work in the long term afterall, BH have been rustling Fulani cattle's with reckless abandon without blinking . . . .

Kanuri people are found in the old Kanem-Bornu empire which comprises NE Nigeria,SE Niger and NW Cameroun. How can you compare them to the Fulbe cattle rearers who are found in Sudan, Niger, Southern Algeria, Mali, Senegal, Guinea Bissau, Cameroun, CAR, Kenya, Tanzania etc. The fulani herdsmen will simple overrun and overpower the Kanuri. BH CANNOT sustain the tempo against them.

(1) (Reply)

Lawyer Festus Keyamo Petitions SSS, IGP Over Threat To Kill Him By Tompolo / Buhari! Buhari!! Buhari!!! / Buhari With Classmates In 1958(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.