Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,984 members, 7,952,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:09 AM

Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy (50576 Views)

... / Nigeria's Megachurches, Liberia And S/leon Needs Your Financial Help. / Deeper Life Tops World Megachurches; Winners Chapel And RCCG, Others Features (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by bolinchin: 12:17am On Oct 13, 2014
I dont get it! I mean this rich pastor poor congregation thing everyone is shouting about on this forum. How many commited members or should I rather say givers in Winners chapel or KICC are poor. These people are getting blessed by giving to the Lord, his work and his servants and there are many testimonies of churches like winners and KICC giving to the orphanages, widows and even giving start off capitals to less priviledged members and sometimes people of other faith. so what is all these noise about?
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by loco4love: 12:25am On Oct 13, 2014
church is a business in southwest Nigeria. The pastors love money more than their souls. Most of the congregants are struggling financially but they always have enough to make overseer and pastor rich while they are going hungry. This Nigerian church thing is a lucrative racket. In fact I am going to open my own church. I am going to call it Salvation for Sale ministries. Come and join my church bring your money because your donations will multiply by 10,000 times. Pastor Seyi is my name and I am looking for associate pastors and ushers email me at bigbelly@yahoo.com
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by tundabolt(m): 12:46am On Oct 13, 2014
datribune:

It's u dat has d problem of 'I too know'. First u think because u ar an intellectual or a biz magnate u can't fall 4 a scam which is bullish*t. I never spoke against tithing. But there's something wrong in d church when dis men's lifestyles ar so manifestly unchrist-like. It is sad dat u think because dis pastors ar rich then nigerian Xtians ar rich. It couldn't be further frm d truth. It is ironical dat 5 nigerian pastors ar in d top 10 of d world's richest while a vast number of d brethren ar among d world's poorest. Or could it be dat dis wealthy pastors ar doing something right & their poor congregations ar doing something wrong?.
. So pastors should and must remain poor for them to be genuine? Now I know how sick you are. Young man go and sleep, it's late.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by tundabolt(m): 12:50am On Oct 13, 2014
loco4love:
church is a business in southwest Nigeria. The pastors love money more than their souls. Most of the congregants are struggling financially but they always have enough to make overseer and pastor rich while they are going hungry. This Nigerian church thing is a lucrative racket. In fact I am going to open my own church. I am going to call it Salvation for Sale ministries. Come and join my church bring your money because your donations will multiply by 10,000 times. Pastor Seyi is my name and I am looking for associate pastors and ushers email me at bigbelly@yahoo.com
. Then get ready to kiss your soul in hell.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by tundabolt(m): 12:52am On Oct 13, 2014
bolinchin:
I dont get it! I mean this rich pastor poor congregation thing everyone is shouting about on this forum. How many commited members or should I rather say givers in Winners chapel or KICC are poor. These people are getting blessed by giving to the Lord, his work and his servants and there are many testimonies of churches like winners and KICC giving to the orphanages, widows and even giving start off capitals to less priviledged members and sometimes people of other faith. so what is all these noise about?
. Help me ask them oh
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by psp2pc(m): 5:46am On Oct 13, 2014
I have no problem paying offering or tithe, but telling me to pay before God can bless me is what i find scammy.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Ifebazz(m): 6:18am On Oct 13, 2014
Even if they don't take anything from government, the single fact that they cause traffic obstructions and noise pollution is enough for them to be taxed. Let them pay, even Federal government does not make as much profit as those thieves.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by zikclassiq(m): 9:18am On Oct 13, 2014
You dont give your tithes to man of God, church or whoever. IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN, God commands us to bring a 10th of our first fruits to HIS house that their may be meat! Its not my bizness to know whats been done wit it. Do your part and leave d rest and God will BLESS U for obeying his Commandment.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Dan1cole(m): 9:31am On Oct 13, 2014
People start churches and do not succeed, they end up crumbled and their churches close down. But these pastors have succeeded and keep succeeding. Why because they simply follow bible principles. When it comes to prosperity in the kingdom, you must follow principles. That is why these pastors mostly preach prosperity to their members, so that their members can also succeed and prosper like or even more than them. But when members begin to think that the pastor is just preaching 'giving' to extort money from them, how do you think God will accept even if they eventually give (they give grudginly and not cheerfully out of love)? Or how will they prosper/receive and get blessed if they refuse to give?
Have you not heard "Believe in your prophet and you shall prosper." #Bible
I know that mega-churches give, thats why they are mega. And also their pastors (I know of Oyedepo, Adeboye and David Ibiyeomie) all give too, thats why they keep receiving/prospering and are blessed. If you dont believe, then ask God in prayers to show/tell you if its true.

Don't be a critic simply because you keep disobeying and keep staying broke. Be wise!
#InsultsAreWelcomed
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by brocab: 10:02am On Oct 13, 2014
pay what you want" you are wasting your money. tithe means percentage if thats all the lord is worth to you, pay tithes. read the word because the truth will set you free.
psp2pc:
I have no problem paying offering or tithe, but telling me to pay before God can bless me is what i find scammy.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by brocab: 10:05am On Oct 13, 2014
Read the word" the truth will set you free. The lord don't command us to bring any tithes, its a lie.
zikclassiq:
You dont give your tithes to man of God, church or whoever. IF YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN, God commands us to bring a 10th of our first fruits to HIS house that their may be meat! Its not my bizness to know whats been done wit it. Do your part and leave d rest and God will BLESS U for obeying his Commandment.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by nora544: 10:13am On Oct 13, 2014
Dan1cole:
People start churches and do not succeed, they end up crumbled and their churches close down. But these pastors have succeeded and keep succeeding. Why because they simply follow bible principles. When it comes to prosperity in the kingdom, you must follow principles. That is why these pastors mostly preach prosperity to their members, so that their members can also succeed and prosper like or even more than them. But when members begin to think that the pastor is just preaching 'giving' to extort money from them, how do you think God will accept even if they eventually give (they give grudginly and not cheerfully out of love)? Or how will they prosper/receive and get blessed if they refuse to give?
Have you not heard "Believe in your prophet and you shall prosper." #Bible
I know that mega-churches give, thats why they are mega. And also their pastors (I know of Oyedepo, Adeboye and David Ibiyeomie) all give too, thats why they keep receiving/prospering and are blessed. If you dont believe, then ask God in prayers to show/tell you if its true.

Don't be a critic simply because you keep disobeying and keep staying broke. Be wise!
#InsultsAreWelcomed

This big pastors are very good speakers and that is it, and this big pastors are a big fraud, since when is God a money printing machine. When you work than you will have money but God will never send something to you do you know that christianity is about love but I know in nigeria it is all about money and that is a heresy gospel.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by brocab: 10:19am On Oct 13, 2014
Why dont you people listen the truth will set you free, the truth is the word, you tithers are waiking the highways, if jesus wanted us to tithe he would have said so. Listen to what the spirit is telling you, if you really believe in truth you will know the truth has set you free. many of you wont see the kingdom of God, but left behind with the other non-believers, this is your time to listen learn and read. Heaven is a big place. The lord came here to save the poor heal the sick, the blind now see. He didn't come to make the rich become richer,Thats your own temption.
brocab:
Read the word" the truth will set you free. The lord don't command us to bring any tithes, its a lie.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by sucess001(m): 11:39am On Oct 13, 2014
zikclassiq:

Agreed.

But what is God's house? the Building? the Pastor? or the Church's Management?

Bible tells us that the church is the "Christians". The Church is a body of believers who have been called out from the world by God to live as his people under the authority of Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:22-23). We dont go to church, we are the church.

Jesus clarified further that if you want to do anything for Him, you should do it to people around you.

Even the early apostles asked members to donate things and 'gave it to people who needed"

If then you start spending church money on expansion and personal enrichment, there is a disconnect somewhere.

Trust me....the Bible's teaching is more instructive than any Church or Pastor's lifestyle. It is God's WORD! seems Christians these days respect pastors morethan God's word- The Bible.

Please read the scriptures below and open your spirit to interpretation. if you are a Christian ad you knw the bible (study to show yourself approved 2nd Timothy 2 :15 i think) you sure do deserve to know the scriptural backing for all actions related to God.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Acts 4:34
that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales (4:35)and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

As can be seen above, "None was needy" amongst the early christians cos they distributed all things equally. Surely you will agree with me that what is being practiced now is different from what was being practiced in those days...

I do not speak heresy. I have given you the words in God's book. I therefore leave you to make your conclusions...selah.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Dan1cole(m): 2:10pm On Oct 13, 2014
nora544:

This big pastors are very good speakers and that is it, and this big pastors are a big fraud, since when is God a money printing machine. When you work than you will have money but God will never send something to you do you know that christianity is about love but I know in nigeria it is all about money and that is a heresy gospel.

Yes Christianity is all about Love. But how do we demonstrate our love? Definitely by giving. Just like God did in John 3:16. *You must be a religious person*
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Dan1cole(m): 2:14pm On Oct 13, 2014
brocab:

Really bro Which book have you been reading? Pls see Malachi 3:10-12 ...God bless

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by nora544: 2:26pm On Oct 13, 2014
Dan1cole:

Yes Christianity is all about Love. But how do we demonstrate our love? Definitely by giving. Just like God did in John 3:16. *You must be a religious person*

Most of this pastors didnot know what love is but what they know it the word money and that is the wrong word.

I know what it mean to be a real christian, I know at the moment there are more than 10 million people who need help because they lose all and when I help this poor people and when I can only help two childs to stay safe and healthy during the winter that is what is mean to be a real christian.

I learned from my father who was a teacher for religion.what it means to be a real christian.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Dan1cole(m): 2:30pm On Oct 13, 2014
sucess001:

Agreed.

But what is God's house? the Building? the Pastor? or the Church's Management?

Bible tells us that the church is the "Christians". The Church is a body of believers who have been called out from the world by God to live as his people under the authority of Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:22-23). We dont go to church, we are the church.

Jesus clarified further that if you want to do anything for Him, you should do it to people around you.

Even the early apostles asked members to donate things and 'gave it to people who needed"

If then you start spending church money on expansion and personal enrichment, there is a disconnect somewhere.

Trust me....the Bible's teaching is more instructive than any Church or Pastor's lifestyle. It is God's WORD! seems Christians these days respect pastors morethan God's word- The Bible.

Please read the scriptures below and open your spirit to interpretation. if you are a Christian ad you knw the bible (study to show yourself approved 2nd Timothy 2 :15 i think) you sure do deserve to know the scriptural backing for all actions related to God.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Acts 4:34
that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales (4:35)and put it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.

As can be seen above, "None was needy" amongst the early christians cos they distributed all things equally. Surely you will agree with me that what is being practiced now is different from what was being practiced in those days...

I do not speak heresy. I have given you the words in God's book. I therefore leave you to make your conclusions...selah.

I get ya but pls clearify, are you trying to say that Pastors and their churches should be hell broke and living like paupers?
Yes! We Christians are the Church. So when they say mega-church, successful Church or prospering Church, what does it mean?
#NoInsultsPls

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Dan1cole(m): 2:37pm On Oct 13, 2014
nora544:

Most of this pastors didnot know what love is but what they know it the word money and that is the wrong word.

I know what it mean to be a real christian, I know at the moment there are more than 10 million people who need help because they lose all and when I help this poor people and when I can only help two childs to stay safe and healthy during the winter that is what is mean to be a real christian.

I learned from my father who was a teacher for religion.what it means to be a real christian.

I get ya. You see when it comes to giving, God advices us to give (show love) to Him, the poor (less priviledge), parents/guardians, our prophet (spiritual father that feeds us with the Word) and to whoever is in need (if our spirit moves us). So you helping the needy and all that is absoulutely good and you'll definitely be blessed. *smile*

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by sucess001(m): 2:38pm On Oct 13, 2014
Dan1cole:

I get ya but pls clearify, are you trying to say that Pastors and their churches should be hell broke and living like paupers?
Yes! We Christians are the Church. So when they say mega-church, successful Church or prospering Church, what does it mean?
#NoInsultsPls

They need not be broke...but there is a problem if there is no concern or focus on the needs of the 'paupers' in their congregton.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Dan1cole(m): 2:51pm On Oct 13, 2014
sucess001:

They need not be broke...but there is a problem if there is no concern or focus on the needs of the 'paupers' in their congregton.

Thats why they preach the gospel to the congregation, so they can also be prosperous. Do you know that most of these pastors of so-called mega-churches have tasted poverty before? Now they teach people who are poor how to break out of it also. Have you not heard "The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor had the gospel preached to them." -Matthew 11:5 .. So when it comes to breaking out of poverty, you gotta hear the word and obey.
And btw, most pastors (like mine: David Ibiyeomie) attend to the needs of the congregation and even outsiders, but they don't announce it so you may not know. And also they cannot attend to the need of every poor member of their congregation, that's why they teach prosperity principles so that their congregation might be prosperous and become blessings to others also.

#I_dont_Know_If_You_Undastand_My_Point

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by sucess001(m): 3:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
Dan1cole:

Thats why they preach the gospel to the congregation, so they can also be prosperous. Do you know that most of these pastors of so-called mega-churches have tasted poverty before? Now they teach people who are poor how to break out of it also. Have you not heard "The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor had the gospel preached to them." -Matthew 11:5 .. So when it comes to breaking out of poverty, you gotta hear the word and obey.
And btw, most pastors (like mine: David Ibiyeomie) attend to the needs of the congregation and even outsiders, but they don't announce it so you may not know. And also they cannot attend to the need of every poor member of their congregation, that's why they teach prosperity principles so that their congregation might be prosperous and become blessings to others also.

Nice response. Lets pray that God directs our walk with Him so we always allign with His will.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Dan1cole(m): 3:20pm On Oct 13, 2014
sucess001:

Nice response. Lets pray that God directs our walk with Him so we always allign with Him will.
So we pray ... Amen!
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by ayusco85(m): 3:38pm On Oct 13, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Abeg gimme link to download the app.

scroll down to d end of the nairaland homepage, u will see the link.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by LeStylo: 4:27pm On Oct 13, 2014
[size=58pt]Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm[/size]
1 Chronicles 16:22

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by mcshol(m): 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
nora544:

madam Nora, I strongly agree with all ur posts. Love is the key to salvation. Very few people know this. Religion can't save everybody. Rather ppl will continue to be misled by fraudsters. I am catholic though but I believe religion is not d answer but love of our neighbour. It is rightly said dat d love of one's neighbour is the love of God. Thank u for ur posts.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by nora544: 8:37pm On Oct 13, 2014
mcshol:
madam Nora, I strongly agree with all ur posts. Love is the key to salvation. Very few people know this. Religion can't save everybody. Rather ppl will continue to be misled by fraudsters. I am catholic though but I believe religion is not d answer but love of our neighbour. It is rightly said dat d love of one's neighbour is the love of God. Thank u for ur posts.

YEah that is tru and you will never hear from this new charismatic/pentecost churches that they preach love because this word didnot fill the pocket from this fake so called God of Man.

I never hear preaching about money in my church and I am catholic too.

I have a very good friend he is a catholic priest from nigeria he lives now in my country and we work together with some other people we have a non profit organisation and we build a school in Kenya and not all are catholics we have also lutherans and some who didnot belong to a church but we all together know what we make will help to give some Kids a better future.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by Bigsteveg(m): 9:26pm On Oct 13, 2014
ayusco85:

scroll down to d end of the nairaland homepage, u will see the link.
Bro no vex abeg, I no see am here.
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by ayusco85(m): 9:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
Bigsteveg:

Bro no vex abeg, I no see am here.

search in blackberry app world. its there. just type ''Nairaland''
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by whytfaz(m): 12:28am On Oct 14, 2014
justi4jesu:
cheesy cheesy Church money is for building the church and helping those in Need.

that is what we used to think but now just like the police station na business center sad sad sad sad
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by mko2005: 9:47am On Oct 14, 2014
I weep for Christians who some times out of ignorance support people who plot the disunity and downfall of Christinity.

If as a pastor who runs a church pays the tax or rates for my church building,pay my P.A.Y.E tax at the end of every month as an individual who receives salary either from the church or other work I do,been taxed on the goods i buy(consumer tax)pay tax on the businesses I own (schools,pure water factory etc) WHY SHOULD ANY ONE still want to collect tax from offerings and tithe that is been given by parishioners out of their own free will ? They can decide not to give their offerings anymore and what happens to the TAX THE CHURCHES LAW? As a parishioner who works and pay my tax monthly,pay also the consumer tax etc,Why also do you want to tax my offerings or tithes ? That will mean multiple taxation ! It's like asking clubs and village association to pay tax! Oh I see ! You guys are looking at the leaders of big churches and their flambuoyant life styles abi ?I smell jealousy and plot to stop the church from moving forward ! Even if they pay the tax,what will it take from them ? Them no buy,them no sell ! The tax we have been paying to the government all these years,what have they done with it ? May be na church own tithe and offerings go better nigeria ba ?

When Jesus talked about give what belongs to ceaser to ceaser,HE admonished us to pay our TAX which I know most if not all Christians who work and do business does. Why this multiple taxation ? Christians open your eyes and consider that when this bill is been passed into Law,you will find more of the christian leaders charged to court for TAX EVATION ! I know some christians here now will say LET IT BE after all I no be pentecoastal and some will say afterall i do not worship in a big church forgeting that CHRISTIANITY is one big body ! If the leg or hand is affected,it will eventually reach the head someday !

God help us
Re: Nigeria's 'megachurches': A Hidden Pillar Of Africa's Top Economy by mko2005: 9:50am On Oct 14, 2014
Dan1cole:

I weep for Christians who some times out of ignorance support people who plot the disunity and downfall of Christinity.

If as a pastor who runs a church pays the tax or rates for my church building,pay my P.A.Y.E tax at the end of every month as an individual who receives salary either from the church or other work I do,been taxed on the goods i buy(consumer tax)pay tax on the businesses I own (schools,pure water factory etc) WHY SHOULD ANY ONE still want to collect tax from offerings and tithe that is been given by parishioners out of their own free will ? They can decide not to give their offerings anymore and what happens to the TAX THE CHURCHES LAW? As a parishioner who works and pay my tax monthly,pay also the consumer tax etc,Why also do you want to tax my offerings or tithes ? That will mean multiple taxation ! It's like asking clubs and village association to pay tax! Oh I see ! You guys are looking at the leaders of big churches and their flambuoyant life styles abi ?I smell jealousy and plot to stop the church from moving forward ! Even if they pay the tax,what will it take from them ? Them no buy,them no sell ! The tax we have been paying to the government all these years,what have they done with it ? May be na church own tithe and offerings go better nigeria ba ?

When Jesus talked about give what belongs to ceaser to ceaser,HE admonished us to pay our TAX which I know most if not all Christians who work and do business does. Why this multiple taxation ? Christians open your eyes and consider that when this bill is been passed into Law,you will find more of the christian leaders charged to court for TAX EVATION ! I know some christians here now will say LET IT BE after all I no be pentecoastal and some will say afterall i do not worship in a big church forgeting that CHRISTIANITY is one big body ! If the leg or hand is affected,it will eventually reach the head someday !

God help us

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

2015 Prophecies By Apostle Johnson Suleman / Sharon Oyakhilome And Her Husband, Phillip Frimpong Welcome First Child (photos) / 17-year-old Pakistani Boy Leads His Entire Tribe To Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.