Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,026 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion (769 Views)

EFCC Seals Off Dasuki's Mansion In Kaduna (photos) / Ikem ​bridge Collapses And Cuts Off Enugu, Benue, Ebonyi Communities (Photos) / APGA, PDP Supporters Clash In Abia Over Results, APGA Rejects Results. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by jmoore(m): 7:15pm On Oct 12, 2014

An Umuahia High Court, presided over by Justice Ken Wosu, on Thursday ordered the sealing off of the premises of the Enugu Electricity Distribution Company in Umuahia and Aba for non remittance of staff tax deductions to the state government.

The court found EEDC guilty of not remitting a total of N 417, 066, 787.64 being the Tax deductions from its workers to the state government .

Consequently, workers were prevented from gaining entry into their offices as officials of the state’s Board of Internal Revenue accompanied by security agents sealed off the premises.

The Court had ruled that both business units of EEDC in Umuahia and Aba respectively were duly served with the demand notices for the remittance of the sums.

Chairman of the state Board of Internal Revenue, Mr. Udochukwu Ogbonna told journalists after the sealing exercise that EEDC had applied for stay of Execution of the Court Orders but that the court after considering the application, rejected it and ordered for the execution of the order to seal off the premises.

Ogbonna used the opportunity to remind employers that the law provided that employers of more than five persons should register with the Board and collect from their employees Pay As You Earn Taxes and remit same to government .

He explained that BIR “does not decide the sealing of defaulters premises except on the order of the court” after the board would have prosecuted them.

The BIR boss said that so far, over 10 defaulters’ premises had been sealed on the orders of the court in the state.

He further noted that there had been significant improvement on compliance to remittance of taxes since the board embarked on sealing off defaulters’ premises.

Source>>http://www.punchng.com/news/court-seals-off-abia-eedc-over-tax-evasion/
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by jmoore(m): 7:17pm On Oct 12, 2014
Never knew about it.

Power was restored in my neighbourhood this morning after days of blackout.
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by nextexcel: 7:24pm On Oct 12, 2014
What about geometric power,are they functional now?
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by chinwike2(m): 7:25pm On Oct 12, 2014
Enugu electricity distribution company not Enugu electricity development company
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by Freest(m): 7:27pm On Oct 12, 2014
Op it is Enugu Electricity Distribution Company not development company... U hear
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by jmoore(m): 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2014
chinwike2:
Enugu electricity distribution company not Enugu electricity development company
I don correct am. Na punch cause am.
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 12, 2014
This people go just dey disturb person even on sunday. Mtchewwww

"KNOCK KNOCK!"

ME: Who's there?

"Jehovah's Witness."

ME: Nobody dey house.

"But you just ans...."

ME: I SAY NOBODY DEY HOUSE! This na their dog, Bingo!!!
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by chinwike2(m): 7:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
jmoore:

Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by chinwike2(m): 7:46pm On Oct 12, 2014
jmoore:

fine
Re: Court Seals Off Enugu Electricity Distribution Company In Abia Over Tax Evasion by JOETYNO: 8:05pm On Oct 12, 2014
SmellMyFart:
This people go just dey disturb person even on sunday. Mtchewwww

"KNOCK KNOCK!"

ME: Who's there?

"Jehovah's Witness."

ME: Nobody dey house.

"But you just ans...."

ME: I SAY NOBODY DEY HOUSE! This na their dog, Bingo!!!
free mb

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Strike Again Less Than A Day After Ceasefire Pact / President Jonathan Makes Comeback, Beats Buhari In Keenly Online Poll / PUNCH Readers Offer To Pay Abandoned Children’s Fees. Nairalanders Can Do More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.