Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,227 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Nigeria: Why America Is Confused - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Why America Is Confused (2830 Views)

Soludo Is Confused, Has Lost Touch With Reality- Fani Kayode / Communism In Nigeria: Why Not? / 5 Reasons Why America Is Worse Than Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by 0key: 3:15am On Oct 13, 2014
Nigeria: Why America is confused
on october 13, 2014 at 12:57am

By Ochereome Nanna
“A year ago, I would have said that they (Boko Haram) were
religiously motivated. But as they killed more and more Muslims,
it’s hard for me to believe that they are motivated by religion. Who
are these guys and what do they want? I don’t think we really
understand them”. – Mr James Entwistle, US Ambassador to
Nigeria.
Entwistle, the ebullient and dynamic Chief Envoy of America here
reportedly made this assertion in a media briefing at a private
university in Yola, Adamawa State, when asked why his country
was blocking efforts by Nigeria to procure arms and ammunition to
tackle the Islamist insurgency in the North East. He also alleged
that his country’s reluctance to sell crucial military equipment to
Nigeria was based on what he described as “human rights
violations” by the Nigerian military personnel.
I find this very interesting and surprising, indeed. I recall that on Wednesday, November 13, 2013, the United States Government,based on the recommendations of the Bureau of Counter-Terrorism, finally – if belatedly – designated
Boko Haram as one of the 63-odd Foreign Terrorist Organisations,
FTOs, active around the world, most of them Islamist groups
which regard the US and the West as their primary enemies.
Usually, when a group is so designated, the American government
applies a number of sanctions aimed at crippling them, including
cutting off their network of financial supply and even going as far
as providing military support toward either eradicating them or
forcing them to change their ways. Instances have also occurred
where many organisations have been removed from the US
register of FTOs when they scale down their terrorist approach.
Well, if America says they don’t know who these Boko Haram nuts
are, let me remind them. Even the US has frequently linked Boko
Haram to the Al Qaeda Network, which is principally behind
murderous Islamist rebels in Somalia, Mali, the Maghreb, Yemen
and the biggest of them all, the Islamic State in the Levant, ISIL,
threatening the territorial integrity of Syria, Iraq and Turkey. This is
the group that has killed more than 10,000 innocent Nigerians in
their places of worship, mostly churches and to a much lesser
extent, mosques. They have killed military, security and police
personnel, including some high-ranking Islamic clerics and
traditional rulers.
They have destroyed towns, burnt down schools and sacked
villages. They were the ones who abducted the Chibok school girls,
whom they have held in captivity for about 180 days. Today, these
guys whom Entwistle say “we don’t know”, have captured and
occupied territories which they claimed as “Islamic Caliphate”.
They have been slitting throats of men, women and children,
cutting hands and forcing single young women into marriages in
line with their warped interpretation of Islam.
As for what they want, there is no mystery about it. They say they
don’t want the Western system of living because, according to
them, it is “evil” and does not allow them to practise their religion.
They say they don’t want Western education, and have accordingly
been destroying schools and killing teachers and medical
personnel working to eradicate polio. By claiming an “Islamic
Caliphate”, they obviously want to overthrow the more
accommodating Islamic order in the North to set up a new system
that will impose Islam on people and, like the ISIL, kill those who
say no to them.
How can America, with all its power and technology, claim they
don’t know who these people are? Is Entwistle saying that just
because Boko Haram is killing Muslims along with Christians, their
sins are less? It would have been more if they killed only
Christians? Is it not sufficient that these guys are murdering
innocent, law-abiding people? Is that not enough for any well-
meaning ally of Nigeria to support all efforts to crush this menace?
We are not asking for American troops. Why is America talking
about human rights abuses? What evidence do they have of them?
Which particular humans are their rights being abused? Even if
some Nigerian troops have engaged in unprofessional conduct,
has it been proved to be a policy of engagement or encouraged by
the high command or government? Can America claim that in its
unending interferences and wars around the world its troops and
war machine do not routinely commit human rights abuses, or at
least collateral damage? Which “clean war” has America ever
fought? And who is to say that Boko Haram and their hordes of
unpatriotic, politically-motivated supporters are not staging these
abuses and passing them off as acts of our troops? Is it not wiser
for the US to join hands in eliminating Boko Haram first, and then
go after war criminals?
I am wondering what America will gain if, in an unlikely twist of
events, Boko Haram gathers traction like ISIL and takes over most
of Northern Nigeria in a major shift of loyalty by the local people
there? Perhaps, America will then, in panic, start looking for
international coalition partners to stop Boko Haram? Perhaps they
will begin to lob expensive missiles from the safety of their floating
frigates at sea, leaving the ground mess for us to contend with, as
they did in Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan and others?
America has to re-examine its irritating policy of seeking to impose
democracy and human rights around the world because it seems
to have caused more harm than good, especially in fragile, Third
World states and the Middle East, which has a cultural setting that
is totally different from that of the West. They colluded with local
activists to destabilise Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Iraq, and Syria would
have followed suit if not for their support by Russia and China.
Human rights in America are not the same as human rights in
Saudi Arabia. In America, if you abuse Jesus Christ it’s “free
speech”, but in Saudi if you abuse Prophet Mohammed you will be
beheaded, and that’s flat!
In America and most of the West, a man can marry another man
and it will not only be “normal”, it will also be “celebrity” news.
Here in Africa, if it happens, both will risk being lynched because
homosexual behaviour is an abomination that may bring spiritual
damnation to family lines down the ages. We don’t regard gay life
as “human rights”, here in Africa, and Nigeria has made a law to
stamp it. The Western society is in great decline because its elastic
interpretation of “human rights” has eroded the spiritual
foundations that originally launched the West as a modern
civilisation.
If America will not help us, let them leave us alone. They stopped
buying our oil, yet we are moving on. We will defeat Boko Haram
with or without their help. It will only take more time, human lives
and resources. We will maintain our own standard of human rights,
which says: “your rights stop where mine start”, and vice versa.
You will lose your human rights when you deprive others of theirs,
or if you act in ways that offend the cherished values of our
society or promote the “normalisation” of taboos.
Our constitution has spelt out in detail, the fundamental human
rights that we promote or aspire so to do. We do not need America
or Britain to come and impose theirs on us.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/nigeria-america-confused/

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by 0key: 3:19am On Oct 13, 2014
This article is worth reading. It's an eye-opener to America's hypocrisy.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by brainpower(m): 4:35am On Oct 13, 2014
We all know they are hypocrites but what baffles me is the many Nigerians that have refused to see it. If not for these "sanctions" against buying arms, the SA arms deals wouldn't have been truncated and therefore wouldn't have been politicized. We are our own worst enemies.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Lucasbalo(m): 4:46am On Oct 13, 2014
This will bring HAC (HATE AMERICA CLUB) members out of their caves.
Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by eleojo23: 5:32am On Oct 13, 2014
Hmmm...
Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 6:29am On Oct 13, 2014
Thanks at op,we knew it is about gay marriage they want to force it down our throat,lives are being lost attrocities are been commited do they realy care,if u dont want to sell to us dont prohibit others from doing same

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Zellie: 7:37am On Oct 13, 2014
America has a shameful human rights record. Their drones have killed more people in the Middle East than Boko Haram. Now, we need their arms, they suddenly start advocating for human rights. What a lame excuse

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by alotofgrace(m): 7:43am On Oct 13, 2014
I don't understand why these guys are over hyped. if only our leaders will serve the country.....
Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by hod898(m): 7:44am On Oct 13, 2014
I hate America's "human rights violation" excuses, truly. Like I always say, the U.S. does not want to see Nigeria surpass them. Their analysts have foresaw the rate with which Nigeria can develope if and only if there is no terrorism and zero tolerance to corruption and that's the reason they try to surpress Nigeria. This was the same thing they tried to do to China but China resisted at all costs. Last week, I heard that China has the Largest economic GDP of 11trn Euros, while U.S. has 10.8trn Euros. Statistic experts said that China has a growth rate in two digits and that with such economic growth rate, their economy will be almost double to that of U.S. by the year 2030! America hates rivals. Israel, Russia, China, Britain, France and co. are enough for them and will not want an African nation, especially Nigeria join the trail. Nigeria is one of the fastest growing economy in the world such that even with the high and fatal rate of corruption, oil theft, not-fully-harnessed Agricultural sector, all of these in the face of deadly Terrorism, she still in number 26th in the world and still growing faster; how much more with the very lack of these? Nigeria will be among top ten by 2030 then, right?
A bill from the National Conference that was recently passed into law is the security of Nigerians in the Diaspora. The implication of this is that Nigerian professionals will now be willing to come and invest in Nigeria. Nigeria will develope faster than anticipated. We don't need America to survive. All the countries where America's troops tread have been left with chaos! Arms purchasing regardless, We have the capacity to develope our arms; you know how sophisticated Nigerians can think. The more they do this, the more we crave for true independence. The more they do this, the more we gain experience. The way countries studied the containment of Ebola, so will they study the defeat and eradication of terrorism and corruption. The truth still stands--NIGERIANS ALWAYS SURVIVE...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 13, 2014
The USA does not want another China. In this age where population size, if properly harnessed equals power; America will not want another world power emerging to challenge them just like China is doing presently. Even with bad leadership, Nigeria will still become that major force to reckon with worldwide. It is not GEJ or Buhari that will take us there, our ever increasing population will. Mark my words.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by FrankC3: 9:19am On Oct 13, 2014
Lucasbalo:
This will bring HAC (HATE AMERICA CLUB) members out of their caves.

First of all, nobody is in a cave in this part of the world.

Secondly, if such 'hate' will inspire a new wave of development inclined nationalism, then it is welcome at all cost.

No sane human being take a position against his family in public. If the secret operatives of the America that you worship should start running their day to day action through the prism on morality, the same America will crush the person totally. Snowden attempted to sound like you by siding with foreigners against some 'immoral positions' of his holy home government. We know what is happening to him. If such is to happen here in Nigeria, people like you would have joined America, BBC, CNN and other foreign powers to tell us how we are violating the 'fundamental human rights' of the whistle-blower Snowden.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by wealth014: 10:05am On Oct 13, 2014
The human right violation that American has been crying about all this while is nothing other othan the gay marriage that Nigeria refused to support or implement. That's all.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Lucasbalo(m): 3:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
FrankC3:

Secondly, if such 'hate' will inspire a new wave of development inclined nationalism, then it is welcome at all cost.

No sane human being take a position against his family in public. If the secret operatives of the America that you worship should start running their day to day action through the prism on morality, the same America will crush the person totally. Snowden attempted to sound like you by siding with foreigners against some 'immoral positions' of his holy home government. We know what is happening to him. If such is to happen here in Nigeria, people like you would have joined America, BBC, CNN and other foreign powers to tell us how we are violating the 'fundamental human rights' of the whistle-blower Snowden.
America is not your problem in Nigeria, your failed no good, inept, kleptocratic leaderships over the years should be your concern. There is a reason while Nigeria with all her God given wealth still stuck in the bottom of the barrel in the committee of nations. A country where the leadership has woefully failed in elevating the masses of the people from the grip of poverty. The schools are not up to world standard, hospitals are in a mess, no infrastructural upgrade, no energy to produce, the roads are in a mess. Average Nigerian is living on less than $5 a day. I can go further but I will stop here. FYI, I don't worship America, but I am a realist. I was born and bred in Lagos Island till I left for my education in US in my teenage years. A constant visitor to Nigeria over the years . In fact, I am preparing to visit in couple weeks. My criticism of Nigeria is out of love and patriotism for the Nigeria I knew as a young star. America is not perfect. I am a big critique of American policies, especially all this worthless wars and interventionist policies. To me, critiquing your government is the highest form of patriotism. No contry is beyond reproach including US and America.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
Lucasbalo:
America is not your problem in Nigeria, your failed no good, inept, kleptocratic leaderships over the years should be your concern. There is a reason while Nigeria with all her God given wealth still stuck in the bottom of the barrel in the committee of nations. A country where the leadership has woefully failed in elevating the masses of the people from the grip of poverty. The schools are not up to world standard, hospitals are in a mess, no infrastructural upgrade, no energy to produce, the roads are in a mess. Average Nigerian is living on less than $5 a day. I can go further but I will stop here. FYI, I don't worship America, but I am a realist. I was born and bred in Lagos Island till I left for my education in US in my teenage years. A constant visitor to Nigeria over the years . In fact, I am preparing to visit in couple weeks. My criticism of Nigeria is out of love and patriotism for the Nigeria I knew as a young star. America is not perfect. I am a big critique of American policies, especially all this worthless wars and interventionist policies. To me, critiquing your government is the highest form of patriotism. No contry is beyond reproach including US and America.

My friend pls stop MISREPRESENTING and SLANDERING the country by claiming there is ''no infrastructural upgrade'', ''no energy to produce'' and such LIES. There are concrete steps being taken in these areas by the govt and private sector. If you are too lazy and arrogant to research what's going on here, then at least say nothing. Nigeria is a developing nation. 80% of countries on earth are developing nations. It is not a crime to be a nation in development, and it is no reason for you to lie against or slander the country.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Lucasbalo(m): 9:04pm On Oct 13, 2014
ROSSIKE:

My friend pls stop MISREPRESENTING and SLANDERING the country by claiming there is ''no infrastructural upgrade'', ''no energy to produce'' and such LIES. There are concrete steps being taken in these areas by the govt and private sector. If you are too lazy and arrogant to research what's going on here, then at least say nothing. Nigeria is a developing nation. 80% of countries on earth are developing nations. It is not a crime to be a nation in development, and it is no reason for you to lie against or slander the country.

First of all let me commend you for being civil and not resulting to name calling. Calling Nigeria a developing nation is an absurdity . Go check United Nations indexes and find out if Nigeria is a third world country or not. How do you explain a country where the president or his kleptomanic friends fly to western countries for their medical needs. No single hospital in Nigeria is up to world standard. Universities and polythecnics are shunning out hundreds of thousands of graduates yearly with no hope of gainful employment . Companies are leaving the country for Ghana because of power outage. Corruption and mismanagement is the order of the day. Millions are being transported out by private jets and billions of dollars of oil money is not being accounted for. Can go on but will stop here. Am a Nigerian as much as I am an American, I have the right to critique a government that's being run like a family business. Love Nigeria and want her to move forward hence my constructive critisism . We don't have to settle for mediocrity .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Lucasbalo(m): 1:25am On Oct 14, 2014
FrankC3:

My friend you are wrong. I have the right to criticize Nigeria as much as I criticize US. I am a citizen of both countries so I don't know what you meant by mentioning Snowden. I want Nigeria to be better that what the useless leaders are doing with her. She is a country blessed by God but corruption and mismanagement by the worthless leaders is the problem. We don't have to settle for mediocrity . Nigeria and Nigerians deserve better. My problem is not with Nigerians but with the greedy leaders and their oligarch friends who have turned what is suppose to be an Eldorado to a third world nation .
Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by onoja12: 5:00am On Oct 14, 2014
God bless you

hod898:
I hate America's "human rights violation" excuses, truly. Like I always say, the U.S. does not want to see Nigeria surpass them. Their analysts have foresaw the rate with which Nigeria can develope if and only if there is no terrorism and zero tolerance to corruption and that's the reason they try to surpress Nigeria. This was the same thing they tried to do to China but China resisted at all costs. Last week, I heard that China has the Largest economic GDP of 11trn Euros, while U.S. has 10.8trn Euros. Statistic experts said that China has a growth rate in two digits and that with such economic growth rate, their economy will be almost double to that of U.S. by the year 2030! America hates rivals. Israel, Russia, China, Britain, France and co. are enough for them and will not want an African nation, especially Nigeria join the trail. Nigeria is one of the fastest growing economy in the world such that even with the high and fatal rate of corruption, oil theft, not-fully-harnessed Agricultural sector, all of these in the face of deadly Terrorism, she still in number 26th in the world and still growing faster; how much more with the very lack of these? Nigeria will be among top ten by 2030 then, right?
A bill from the National Conference that was recently passed into law is the security of Nigerians in the Diaspora. The implication of this is that Nigerian professionals will now be willing to come and invest in Nigeria. Nigeria will develope faster than anticipated. We don't need America to survive. All the countries where America's troops tread have been left with chaos! Arms purchasing regardless, We have the capacity to develope our arms; you know how sophisticated Nigerians can think. The more they do this, the more we crave for true independence. The more they do this, the more we gain experience. The way countries studied the containment of Ebola, so will they study the defeat and eradication of terrorism and corruption. The truth still stands--NIGERIANS ALWAYS SURVIVE...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by onoja12: 5:04am On Oct 14, 2014
america is the number one problem of not just Nigeria but the hole world.
China has proven that a country can grow and develop without all the evil america does

Lucasbalo:
Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Lucasbalo(m): 5:39am On Oct 14, 2014
onoja12:
america is the number one problem of not just Nigeria but the hole world.
China has proven that a country can grow and develop without all the evil america does

I guess every problem in the world is America's fault according to you. Guess what, America's national symbol is a flying eagle and that means no matter what people like you say or do , the Eagle will keep soaring.
Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by onoja12: 6:28am On Oct 14, 2014
As u can see the hole world is waking up and everybody is beginning to reject america,the only thing keeping america still standing is that the world used the dollar to trade,as at yesterday China and Russia have signed a pact which allows them to trade directly bypassing the dollar and this is what Gadaffi was calling on African leaders to do before they killed him,China has over taking america as the largest economy,my guy go and find your Nigerian passport if you have lost it because 20years down the line Nigeria would be neck to neck with america economy all thanks to american evils

Lucasbalo:
I guess every problem in the world is America's fault according to you. Guess what, America's national symbol is a flying eagle and that means no matter what people like you say or do , the Eagle will keep soaring.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by chinwike2(m): 8:14am On Oct 14, 2014
U S of A dont be confused, just give us the military hardware and we give you the EBOLA MIRACLE, then everybody is happy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 14, 2014
onoja12:
As u can see the hole world is waking up and everybody is beginning to reject america,the only thing keeping america still standing is that the world used the dollar to trade,as at yesterday China and Russia have signed a pact which allows them to trade directly bypassing the dollar and this is what Gadaffi was calling on African leaders to do before they killed him,China has over taking america as the largest economy,my guy go and find your Nigerian passport if you have lost it because 20years down the line Nigeria would be neck to neck with america economy all thanks to american evils

I am honoured to read posts from perceptive people like you.
Good morning sir.
Re: Nigeria: Why America Is Confused by Admiralomoniyi(m): 12:30pm On Oct 14, 2014
LOBATAN

(1) (Reply)

About ISIS War In The Middle East / Opinion: APC Making A Self-Destructive Impact In The North / Efik Ibibio Struggles- Not Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.