Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

Obasanjo To Jonathan,mu'azu:i Can't Accept"drug Baron"as South Leader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo To Jonathan,mu'azu:i Can't Accept"drug Baron"as South Leader (661 Views)

Mu'azu: I Couldn't Force My People To Vote Jonathan / Mu'azu And Femi Fani-Kayode Say They Won Their LGAs (Twitter) / Mimiko Absent As South-west Governors Converge In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo To Jonathan,mu'azu:i Can't Accept"drug Baron"as South Leader by LilNetty(m): 5:04pm On Oct 13, 2014
Former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, yesterday said he had no grouse against anybody in his party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), but that he will not accept a wanted drug baron as the PDP leader in his region, the south west.
In a statement made available to newsmen, Obasanjo said the issue bordered on principle and morality.
The former president and former PDP Board of Trustees chairman was apparently responding to series of appeals by party leaders, including Senate President David Mark and party chairman Alhaji Adamu Mua’zu who had recently paid him a visit at his Ota Farm home, pleading with him to forgive the party and return to its fold. They also asked him to lead President Goodluck Jonathan’s re-election campaign.
Obasanjo said: “There are, for me, issues of principle, morality, honour, integrity, commitment and character which are paramount. For instance, as a former president of Nigeria, the chairman of West Africa Commission on Drug and a member of Global Commission on Drug, I cannot accept that the zonal leader of my political party and, worse still, in my zone, will be an indicted drug baron wanted in America.
“How do I explain that to friends outside Nigeria? This is only one of the many issues that I have pointed and still pointing out.”
Obasanjo, however, called on the leadership of the party to do the needful on the issues he had raised.
“I have national and international standard to maintain and reputation to keep and sustain. For these reasons, I opted to remain active only at the ward level of the party till the leadership does the needful,” Obasanjo said.
Prince Buruji Kashamu, allegedly wanted in America for drug trafficking, was appointed chairman, Organisation and Mobilisation Committee of the PDP in the South West by President Goodluck Jonathan.
On his status in the PDP, Obasanjo said much of what has been reported in the media was misrepresentation and declared that he never left the PDP, therefore, making it wrong for people to be calling him back.   “There are misunderstandings and misrepresentations which some of those appeals and pleas manifested; hence this explanation from me. Talking of inviting me back to the PDP is wrong and it is a great misrepresentation as I have never left PDP, and I will never leave PDP,” he explained.
“I have said it before and I will say it again: I rose to become the president of Nigeria on the platform of PDP and, for that reason alone, I will remain a card-carrying and ward-active member of PDP for as long as I have to be a political party member.
“Secondly, nobody has personally offended me as a result of my membership of PDP. If, however, anybody or group feels offended by my continued membership, I will offer an unreserved apology but continue to remain in the party. I have had occasions to say to the president, the Senate president and the party chairman separately that I have no quarrel with any individual or group in the party.”
Obasanjo’s Statement
During last week when I was in South Africa as the Chairman of AU Commission of Inquiry on South Sudan and while with my fellow Commissioners, we were deliberating on how to help that new country out of its problem of security and violence, I received avalanche of news and cacophony of appeals and pleadings from some quarters of PDP leadership.
There are misunderstandings and misrepresentations which some of those appeals and pleas manifested; hence this explanation from me. Talking of inviting me back to PDP is wrong and it is a great misrepresentation as I have never left PDP and I will never leave PDP. I have said it before and I will say it again, I rose to become the President of Nigeria on the platform of PDP and for that reason alone, I will remain a card-carrying and ward-active member of PDP for as long as I have to be a political party member.
Secondly, nobody has personally offended me as a result of my membership of PDP. If, however, anybody or group feels offended by my continued membership, I will offer an unreserved apology but continue to remain in the Party. I have had occasions to say to the President, the Senate President and the Party Chairman separately that I have no quarrel with any individual or group in the Party. There are, for me, issues of principle, morality, honour , integrity, commitment and character which are paramount.
For instance, as a former President of Nigeria, the Chairman of West Africa Commission on Drug and a member of Global Commission on Drug, I cannot accept that the Zonal leader of my political Party and, worse still in my zone, will be an indicted drug baron wanted in America. How do I explain that to friends outside Nigeria? This is only one of the many issues that I have pointed and still pointing out.
I have national and international standard to maintain and reputation to keep and sustain. For these reasons, I opted to remain active only at the ward level of the Party till the leadership does the needful.
Source: www.leadership.ng/news/386883/obasanjo-jonathan-muazu-cant-accept-wanted-drug-baron-swest-pdp-leader
Re: Obasanjo To Jonathan,mu'azu:i Can't Accept"drug Baron"as South Leader by levelszik(m): 6:01pm On Oct 13, 2014
I thought he tendered a resignation letter sometime ago and was vexed when Gej accepted his resignation? Hian,ndia ana gbagbojuharika nmadu anya

(1) (Reply)

JONATHAN Vs BUHARI. Who Can Win? / [must Read] Are Youth Corpers Educated Slaves? (NYSC Equals National Yearly Slav / APC: Buhari As Presidential Aspirant And A Trip Down Memory Lane.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.