Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west (4845 Views)

Tam David West "I Never Said Fuel Will Sell For N40 Under PMB / Tam David-West: Why I Won’t Reject Buhari’s Ministerial Slot Offer / Professor Tam David West Says He Is Willing To Lead Fuel Protests. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by jfking2005(m): 7:38am On Oct 14, 2014
This Column Article was written by Professor Tam David-West from South south, He worked with him and has a better knowledge of Who Gen. Buhari is, including his religion tolerance and other curruption issue we hear from people on daily basis.... Please i need somebody with counter opinion to come out ASAP before i take a decision..... Please enjoy

I have always maintained in my articles, essays or discourses that “The fear of General Muhammadu Buhari is the beginning of self-serving wisdom among corrupt Nigerians, especially politicians and their cronies at the corridors of power.” This is because of his zero-tolerance for corruption and iron-cast discipline and uncompromising principle. This excruciating mortal fear of this bunch of Nigerians has become even more intense since General Buhari expressed interest in the Presidency through the normal democratic channel.

In a concerted effort or attempt to frustrate or even scuttle the fear-inspiring Buhari’s Presidential ambition; these Buhari phobics have over time orchestrated mendacious propaganda against his person. They spin all sorts of contemptible lies about him. They dis-inform the public with satanic audacity. They have persistently fabricated so many tendentious lies about him with such curious relish that one tends to wonder if they are capable again of knowing the difference between falsehood and truth. I am particularly concerned and worried over this trend for at least two main reasons.

First, no society ever grows and develops steeped in falsehood. Falsehood enslaves and obscures light; contrariwise; truth liberates. Those feeding society with falsehood are therefore necessarily enemies of society; especially when such fabrications are conveniently peddled to answer to personal obsessions or phobia.

My second concern and worry has to do with some of our otherwise respected intellectuals, who are expected to educate with the truth and not to conveniently mis-educate the public with disinformation. This is all the more frightening because some of these intellectuals are so greatly respected by the generality of the public because of their great learning and intellectual decorations both national and international. Because of this general approval by the people, some of these classes of intellectuals sink to conceit and tend to cherish an exaggerated or inflated self-evaluation or sense of self-worth. In short, they become megalomaniacs; victims of narcissism. They nurse mental delusion of their omnipotence and infallibility, which they parade and expect that their great learning and intellectual decorations can even sanctify their fabrications. They delude themselves to believing that the public, the people, will believe whatever they spin even without any proof. But they forget that this is only to the extent that their lies are not confronted with well researched and copiously documented counters; especially when it can also be shown that one can be very brilliant intellectually and be approvingly so decorated; nevertheless, still be physically lazy to painstakingly research into issues of societal interest.

Perhaps, I should at this juncture make the following germane disclosures:

General Buhari invited me to his ministerial cabinet in 1984. He swore me in as Minister of Petroleum and Energy on 18 January, 1984. Later on, I was also honoured with the Chairmanship of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) as well as the Chief Executive of the NNPC; thereby making me the most powerful minister of petroleum. This includes even himself who was holding the Petroleum portfolio earlier on during the great General Murtala Muhammed administration.

It is significant and underscores the General Buhari style to add that in spite of all the honours bestowed on me, he emphatically added: “Professor, I will not interfere.” And he kept strictly to his word until he was ousted in a self-serving Babangida coup on August 27, 1986.

General Babangida also appointed me Minister of Petroleum Resources. My long-standing friend (since 1975 in Rivers State General Zamani Lekwot Cabinet), General Sani Abacha, pleaded with me to please accept to serve “to continue the good work for the country.” I gave in not quite enthusiastically.

I must add, and indeed stress that I had never not met General Buhari before he invited me to his cabinet. He told me that he was guided by my writings on national issues and of course also by security reports on me. To God be all the glory!

Finally, on a lighter note, I wish to state that my salary as Minister was less than my then salary as Professor of Virology/Consultant at Ibadan: N16,000 to N18,000 a year. And I had no salary as Minister for three months because of delay in opening a Lagos bank account.

As Petroleum Minister, I very regularly and very closely interacted with General Buhari. This gave me the golden opportunity to study him very minutely. I got to know him intimately especially what he stands for as a person. Thus, when I write about General Buhari, I do so from close firsthand experience. Not hear-say or stereotypes.

I have over time written a lot about General Buhari. This includes two formal works: “Who Really Is General Muhammadu Buhari?” and “The Sixteen ‘Sins’ of General Muhammadu Buhari.” The first was launched publicly at The Nigerian Institute of International Affairs, Victoria Island on March 9, 2009. The second book was launched in Kaduna (29 July, 2010) and Port Harcourt (14 March, 2011). Both events were crowd-pullers. I must mention that General Buhari was kept in the dark about both projects. I only informed him some two weeks to the launching. I don’t have to consult him to tell the truth about him.

I was very delighted and indeed greatly honoured when our greatly respected and honourable former Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, GCFR, CSG accepted to write the “Forward” to “Who Really Is General Muhammadu Buhari?” A fantastic “Forward” indeed!

He also personally graced the public launching. He was even promptly there on time. I remain eternally indebted and bankrupt in gratitude to him.

But why General Buhari? Simple. He is a rare gem of a Nigerian, especially a leader. My third book, “General Muhammadu Buhari: A Very Rare Gem” is almost completed.

My address at the launching of “The Sixteen ‘Sins’ of General Muhammadu Buhari.” in Port Harcourt on March 14, 2011 encapsulated the grounds for deep adoration of General Buhari:

“I am a committed – very committed Pro-Buhari. Dyed-in-the-wool pro-Buhari. I have no regrets. I have no apologies. My unwavering, unflinching support is not based on sentiments or any patronage expectation whatsoever (I think I don’t need it). Among all the mortal leaders I know, General Muhammadu Buhari easily stands out a refreshing beacon of an exemplary leader in probity, integrity, focus, vision, discipline, courage, humility (almost self-effacing), honest in leadership by example (not by sermons). These are very rare qualities in contemporary Nigerian leadership (maybe even for all time).”

His response was superbly refreshing and humbling:

“Service to our country brought Tam and I together, and the ideals we share in common made us friends. Tam is a friend you can go into the forest with.”

“The Sixteen ‘Sins’ of General Muhammadu Buhari” was intended to expose and counter (with copious evidence) all the sixteen lies being peddled by the contemptible Buhari phobics over time. I even challenged them for debate at the public space. None has mustered the courage to pick up the gauntlet – even after over three solid years. This is very instructive indeed. In short, they simply orchestrated fabrications about General Buhari. Shameless bunch.

It is also telling of our system that the book The Sixteen ‘Sins’, has been printed three times. Best selling. People tend to rush to “bad” news about leaders or persons than “good” news. They thought – very wrongly that I was exposing General Buhari’s misdeeds. After all their (the Buhari phobics) tendentious lies about General Buhari have been effectively debunked, they now in their desperation peddle that he is in fact too old to contest for the Presidency. I call this “The Politics of Buhari’s Age.” It is like a drowning man resorting to straw as if it is life buoy. But this “Age Palava” has shown even more clearly that they are either (or both) intellectually fraudulent or physically lazy to do meaningful research.

Therefore, in this discourse, “General Muhammadu Buhari: The Politics of Age” I intend, once again, to expose their tendentious lies and specious disinformation. I do this, once again, fortified by well researched facts and figures.

I must gratefully acknowledge the selfless assistance of my esteemed friend, Mr. Okoi Ofem Obono-Obla, LLB Hons, BL. Brilliant. Humble. He himself is a solid believer in General Buhari. He is thus, also very much committed to truth and justice and good governance.

General Buhari was born on December 17, 1942. He is 72 years in 2014. He will be 73 in 2015. Still young to be President of Nigeria! This nonsense about age is also faulted on the grounds that good leadership is not necessarily defined by age. It is also not defined by high learning – PhD and all that. Good leadership is innate divine endowment. But it can also be nurtured at times. From my research (ably assisted by my friend, Okoi Obono-Obla) I list some 15 examples of leaders, both in Africa and abroad who are older – some much older-than General Buhari.

Let me start with our neighbour, Liberia, with its great lady president:President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President 2006 at age 70. She was 75 in 2011. She will remain president till 2016. She will be 80 years then. President Jacob Zuma, South Africa is 72 years old. He will be president till 2019 at 77 years.

Nelson Mandela, born July 18, 1918. President of South Africa in 1994 at 76 years. Still president in 1998 (single term) when he voluntarily stepped down for Mbeki. He was 80 years. If he had served his two terms he would have been 84 years.

President Peter Mutharika, Malawi 74 when he was sworn in on 31 May, 2014. He will be president till 2019 at 79 years.

President Alpa Conde Guinea. President at 76 years. President in December 2011 at 72 years.President Jose Eduardo Santos, Angola 72 years. He will be president till 2020 at 78 years. President Abde Bourtefilka, Algeria 77 years. President till 2020 at 83 years old.

President Alasanne Quattara, Ivory Coast 72 years in 2012. President till 2016 at 76 years.

Yoweri Museveni, Uganda, president since 1985 at 70 years won another seven years in 2013 at 77 years, will be president till 2020 at 84.

President Jose Mujiaga of Uruguay 75 at election; reelected and is now 79 years.

President Tedoro Oblang Nguema Mbasogo, Equatorial Guinea; born January 6, 1942 is 72 years and still going on.

President Michael Sata, Zambia 77 years – president September 23, 2011 at 74; will be president till 2016. He will be 79.

President Paul Biya of Cameroon (President Jonathan has obvious fancy for him) is 81 years. He will be in office till 2017 at 84.

President Milos Zeman of Chech Republic is 70 will be in office till 2018 at 74.

President Ronald Reagan; born February 06, 1911. President USA at 70. Two terms of 4 years in 1989 he was 78.

Selected Satanic Lies (‘Sins’) Against General Buhari (Ref: “General Buhari: “Sixteen (Sins’):

53 Suitcases Saga:

No iota of truth. Total lie. In fact the referenced Emir of Gwandu had only thirteen (13) – far cry from 53 – suitcases on board; and they all went through Customs. Question of “bulging” with ‘currency’ total fabrication (Ref. page 42-45 “Sixteen ‘Sins’).

N2.8 Billion Poppycock:

Totally False. Mere gossip and rumour. Unqualified tommyrot. The Honourable Mr. Justice Ayo Irekefe’s Judicial Commission of Inquiry. (Judicial! Yes) White Paper: No such money was ever missing. Fabrication. (Ref. Page 59 “Sixteen ‘Sins’).

The Petroleum Trust Fund:

Lie No 1:

PTF a parallel government. Total rubbish. Stupid. No government ever officially set up a parallel government to subvert itself.

Lie No 2:

PTF partial to the North. Stupid. Tommyrot. PTF’S first 1 Billion Naira (N1.07 Billion) spent on Lagos Water Works.

PTF projects country-wide.

PTF Board of Trustees, great Nigerians, wide spread members such as: Alhaji Ahmed Talib. Professor Chimere Ikoku. Professor J.P. Clarke. Chief Rufus Giwa.

PTF Education Consultants

Great Nigerians: Dr. Yemi Ogunbiyi. Chief Raymond Dokpesi, Pini Jason. Dan Agbese. (Ref: “Sixteen ‘Sins’ Page 81-85).

Lie No 3:

“Expired PTF Drugs”

Total fabrication. Rubbish. Arrant nonsense. NAFDAC under the great Dora Akunyili was consultant and monitor to PTF; ensured quality control etc. (Ref: Page 83 “Sixteen ‘Sins’)

Lie No 4:

The management of oil and the economy. These are best under Buhari. No oil (fuel) importation. Buhari in fact exported fuel. No IMF. Naira not devalued: $1.5 to N1.0. Today, N160 to $1.0. N2.0 to £1.0. Today, N270 – N250 to £1.0.

Lie No 5:

Buhari “serial loser” of election.

Buhari has never lost in any free, fair and transparent election. He was always “serially rigged out.” fear!

Religious Extremism

General Buhari enemies confuse religious extremism with religious fundamentalism. He has respect for both Christian and Islam. For instance, three of his Cooks are Christians, his Confidential Secretary, a Christian. His Private Secretary, a Christian. His Driver number 2, a Christian. His second Security, a Christian and his Office Cook a Christian.

TESTIMONIES

“Major-General Muhammadu Buhari, an extraordinary Nigerian, matched only by few in integrity and readiness to subject himself to the demands of public office… abiding concern for the fate and welfare of the people of this great country.”

By General Abdulsalami Abubakar, GCFR, CSG.

Forward: “Buhari, The PTF Years” (1979).

“General Muhammadu Buhari, is a man of principle and moral absolutes who has made a name for probity and integrity. By all stands, Buhari, has proved an extraordinary Nigerian in and out of uniform.”

By General Abdulsalami Abubakar, GCFR, CSG.

Forward: “Who Really Is General Muhammadu Buhari, (2009).

“Nigeria, in its current dire straits needs Buhari more than he needs Nigeria.”

Femi Orebe

“The Nation On Sunday” September 28, 2014 Page 18.

In conclusion, I urge my compatriots, please in 2015 and beyond in the interest of our Nigeria, vote for integrity, probity, zero-tolerance to corruption. Discipline. Never, never again for your recycled looted money for “stomach infrastructure” or pocket consolidation.

So help us God. Amen.

•Professor Tam David-West, eminent Virologist, writes from Ibadan, Oyo State

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=85963

8 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Civory(m): 8:13am On Oct 14, 2014
Tell them bro! In Buhari we trust come 2015!

8 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 14, 2014
Excellent from Mr Tam David West!

9 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by jking001(m): 8:35am On Oct 14, 2014
Rubbish,how won't he support him when he was a beneficiary of Buhari government?its obvious that he's not campaigning for nothing,we know if he comes back as president he would save a seat for him that's sure ,Nigerians are no fools TDW go and get a job.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Gbawe: 8:51am On Oct 14, 2014
jking001:
Rubbish,how won't he support him when he was a beneficiary of Buhari government?its obvious that he's not campaigning for nothing,we know if he comes back as president he would save a seat for him that's sure ,Nigerians are no fools TDW go and get a job.

Some of you will just open mouth uncouthly to insult noble and good men. Do you not think Karma has punishment in store for you for doing such? Has Tam David-West told you he is looking for a job or future position before you ungraciously take it upon yourself to suggest that to be the case? You think Nigeria no longer has principled men who speak based on their unimpeachable conviction and enduring love of our nation alone? Is this not what a prominent Northerner inferred the other day when he claimed the way of the GEJ government (hideous misrule and "every man has a price" corruption) has bastardized the psyche of Nigerians?

6 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Gbawe: 8:53am On Oct 14, 2014
baccaspace:
Excellent from Mr Tam David West!

Indeed. Another character reference for GMB that destroys the scaremongering of those afraid of a Nigeria that will work for ordinary folks and not oligarchs, AGIPs, corrupt crooks and criminals.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 14, 2014
jking001:
Officer, are you normal?

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 14, 2014
Gbawe:

Indeed. Another character reference for GMB that destroys the scaremongering of those afraid of a Nigeria that will work for ordinary folks and not oligarchs, AGIPs, corrupt crooks and criminals.
This article should naturally silent the Jonathanians IF they have any atom of Sanity left in them

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by blackfase(m): 9:20am On Oct 14, 2014
Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Sibabasibaba1: 9:45am On Oct 14, 2014
Hahaha...I respect the eminent professor of virology. But what do you expect from a Buhari apologist? Give it to him, he has been a die-hard Buhari supporter even before Buhari joined party politics. But why won't he?

In the first place, Buhari's regime was an illegality. No patriot legitimises illegitimacy.

He has reeled out the names of those over 70 who were Presidents. But he avoided telling us that none of those guys sacked a legitimate government. None of those guys ruled as dictators and sought to return to power after over 30 years.

Apart from Reagan, none of the oldies achieved
much. And Reagan did because of the strong systems of the US. He was not a dictator. Mandela's presidency was symbolic. He did not achieve much as a President. But at that time South Africa needed him for the healing of old wounds.

Don't even mention Biya, Museveni et al. Is that what the venerable professor wish for us?

On the suit cases, whether they were 12 or 100 is immaterial. The main thing was the hypocricy in the whole stuff. The order was that nothing shoul come into the country. But alas! Suitcases of the Czar's aides came in. Nobel Laurette, Soyinka aptly captured this story in one of his essays sometime ago titled 'The crimes of Buhari' (I hope I am right about the title).

On PTF, I have said it severally that the fund marginalised the South East and Akwa Ibom in road projects. I also know that it didnt do any road project in A/Ibom. I don't know of expired drugs. PTF bought drugs for hospitals in the South East. Yes, it did. But how much were the drugs compared to roads? If the fund had built dialysis centers and the likes it would have been far better. Not buying phensic, ascorbic acid, tetracyclin and panadol.

I didnt expect anything less from the Prof. If Mustapha were to write a book or essay on Abacha, we all would have thought that Abacha was St Gabriel. Lest I forget, Buhari himself canonised Abacha. Didn't he tell us sometime ago that Abacha was an honest dude?

Prof should be tired of doing this type of piece every four years before elections.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by nuclearboy(m): 10:24am On Oct 14, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:
Hahaha...I respect the eminent professor of virology. But what do you expect from a Buhari apologist? Give it to him, he has been a die-hard Buhari supporter even before Buhari joined party politics. But why won't he?

In the first place, Buhari's regime was an illegality. No patriot legitimises illegitimacy.

He has reeled out the names of those over 70 who were Presidents. But he avoided telling us that none of those guys sacked a legitimate government. None of those guys ruled as dictators and sought to return to power after over 30 years.

Apart from Reagan, none of the oldies achieved
much. And Reagan did because of the strong systems of the US. He was not a dictator. Mandela's presidency was symbolic. He did not achieve much as a President. But at that time South Africa needed him for the healing of old wounds.

Don't even mention Biya, Museveni et al. Is that what the venerable professor wish for us?

On the suit cases, whether they were 12 or 100 is immaterial. The main thing was the hypocricy in the whole stuff. The order was that nothing shoul come into the country. But alas! Suitcases of the Czar's aides came in. Nobel Laurette, Soyinka aptly captured this story in one of his essays sometime ago titled 'The crimes of Buhari' (I hope I am right about the title).

On PTF, I have said it severally that the fund marginalised the South East and Akwa Ibom in road projects. I also know that it didnt do any road project in A/Ibom. I don't know of expired drugs. PTF bought drugs for hospitals in the South East. Yes, it did. But how much were the drugs compared to roads? If the fund had built dialysis centers and the likes it would have been far better. Not buying phensic, ascorbic acid, tetracyclin and panadol.

I didnt expect anything less from the Prof. If Mustapha were to write a book or essay on Abacha, we all would have thought that Abacha was St Gabriel. Lest I forget, Buhari himself canonised Abacha. Didn't he tell us sometime ago that Abacha was an honest dude?

Prof should be tired of doing this type of piece every four years before elections.

Are you human? As in "Seriously"?

For someone like David-West (a honest modest intellectual) to state such things consistently and take it upon himself to always come out against the self-serving politicians who have all but destroyed Nigerians in defence of this man, SHOULD be food for thought! If you people insist Buhari stole money and has been hiding it since, please where did David West hide his? Or how come its honest people defending this man whist the IBBs, the "big-men" who destroyed Nigeria and the corrupt are trying to villify him and paying you vacuous windbags pittances, to be nothing more than echos? Are you afraid of a society that rewards hard work because you have nothing to offer or what's your problem?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Sibabasibaba1: 11:02am On Oct 14, 2014
@=nuclearboy

Is taking part in illegality is also part of honesty? Restating something does not make it true. Dispute my points rather than make Prof the benchmark for honesty. It is not for me to say how honest the Prof is. He said Buhari is honest and Wole Soyinka said Buhari isn't. Now,it is left to you to choose who is or isnt.

I don't expect TDW to tell me about the evils of
Buhari's regime because he was part of it. But as a kid under the age of 8 I witnessed the evils. I saw soldiers kneeling people down and flogging them for not knowing the wordings of the second stanza of the national anthem. I soldiers forcefully entering warehouses to cart away goods and accusing the owners of hoarding. I heard stories of military administrators looting their states dry why our 'incorruptible' maximum ruler looked the other way.

TDW did not see anything wrong with the gross violation of human rights at the time. He did not see anything wrong with STEALING leadership with a gun. He saw nothing wrong in jailing people like Alex Ekwueme on trumped up charges even when Justice Uwaifo panel EXONERATED him and made the famous statement that politics made Ekwueme poorer.
He did not see anything wrong with serving under a government that had no plans of returning power to civillians. For 20 months Buhari held sway, he never mooted the idea of returning power to civilians. Like Abacha, Buhari wanted to be life President until his brother criminal kicked him out. Need I remind you that it took the other criminal, Abdulsalam Abubakar, just 9 months to conduct elections?

It is a shame that young people should be supporting the return to power of those who kept Nigeria in it's current state. Buhari is part of the old brigade. Somebody who achieved nothing as a ruler when he was younger cannot achieve nothing as a ruler in his old age.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Descartes: 11:04am On Oct 14, 2014
Gbawe:

Some of you will just open mouth uncouthly to insult noble and good men. Do you not think Karma has punishment in store for you for doing such? Has Tam David-West told you he is looking for a job or future position before you ungraciously take it upon yourself to suggest that to be the case? You think Nigeria no longer has principled men who speak based on their unimpeachable conviction and enduring love of our nation alone? Is this not what a prominent Northerner inferred the other day when he claimed the way of the GEJ government (hideous misrule and "every man has a price" corruption) has bastardized the psyche of Nigerians?
Gbawe the Epistle writer, your HYPOCRISY is Legendary. angry

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by ayindejimmy(m): 11:50am On Oct 14, 2014
jking001:
the moral values of the youths in Ng have been misprioritized. If u can talk down on a celebrated icon and some1 dat epitomises intergrity, then whom will u hold in high esteem?
Some1 is speaking verifiabled facts u r speaking random fiction. U rily need to upgrade

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by adconline(m): 12:07pm On Oct 14, 2014
For simple question. Why has he not built a political brand that is endearing to most Nigeria in the last 15yrs. How many flawless and corrupt-free politicians has he mentored or raised in Naija? So if he's corrupt free as we are being told, his cabinet is going to be filled with Tinubu and Amechi candidates? Why does he go home after he loses an election and comes back to contest every 4 yrs. how many senators and reps did he personally get elected not decampee from PDP. He's typical lazy Naija politician who wants make deal with everyone in order to win.. From APP, ANPP, CPC, ACN to APC.. This man clearly lacks ideas on how to put up a formidable position let alone how to govern. He's no different from OBJ or Jonathan!

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Gbawe: 12:50pm On Oct 14, 2014
Descartes:
Gbawe the Epistle writer, your HYPOCRISY is Legendary. angry

Are you jealous?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Descartes: 3:18pm On Oct 14, 2014
Gbawe:

Are you jealous?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by omenka(m): 3:46pm On Oct 14, 2014
It would amount to a disservice of unimaginable proportions if this is not moved to front page.

Cc: Seun, Mynd44, Mukina2, Obinoscopy, OAM4J et al.

Nigerians deserve to know the truth please.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by omenka(m): 3:50pm On Oct 14, 2014
Mods front page please. The truth must be known by all and sundry.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Blackfire(m): 3:57pm On Oct 14, 2014
whoever win should swear by sango or amadioha
Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by anonimi: 4:36pm On Oct 14, 2014
omenka:
It would amount to a disservice of unimaginable proportions if this is not moved to front page.

Cc: Seun, Mynd44, Mukina2, Obinoscopy, OAM4J et al.

Nigerians deserve to know the truth please.

omenka:
Mods front page please. The truth must be known by all and sundry.

One man's opinion = truth.
Chai, see Arewa People's Congress, APC type of mathematics that aims at "CONFUSING the minds" of our fellow compatriots so the man who called us "senseless and useless" can come to steal & to kill yet again. shocked

God Forbid!!!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by abacus(m): 4:45pm On Oct 14, 2014
adconline:
For simple question. Why has he not built a political brand that is endearing to most Nigeria in the last 15yrs. How many flawless and corrupt-free politicians has he mentored or raised in Naija? So if he's corrupt free as we are being told, his cabinet is going to be filled with Tinubu and Amechi candidates? Why does he go home after he loses an election and comes back to contest every 4 yrs. how many senators and reps did he personally get elected not decampee from PDP. He's typical lazy Naija politician who wants make deal with everyone in order to win.. From APP, ANPP, CPC, ACN to APC.. This man clearly lacks ideas on how to put up a formidable position let alone how to govern. He's no different from OBJ or Jonathan!

Shallow thinking, shame! Too bad una plenty here...

You can't take it away from GMB, he's the best we have and he's the good one we want.

God bless Nigeria. Nigeria will be free!, Nigeria will be great! Nigeria will flourish again!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by nuclearboy(m): 5:28pm On Oct 14, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:
@=nuclearboy

Is taking part in illegality is also part of honesty? Restating something does not make it true. Dispute my points rather than make Prof the benchmark for honesty. It is not for me to say how honest the Prof is. He said Buhari is honest and Wole Soyinka said Buhari isn't. Now,it is left to you to choose who is or isnt.

Buhari's regime because he was part of it. But as a kid under the age of 8 I witnessed the evils. I saw soldiers kneeling people down and flogging them for not knowing the wordings of the second stanza of the national anthem. I soldiers forcefully entering warehouses to cart away goods and accusing the owners of hoarding. I heard stories of military administrators looting their states dry why our 'incorruptible' maximum ruler looked the other way.

TDW did not see anything wrong with the gross violation of human rights at the time. He did not see anything wrong with STEALING leadership with a gun. He saw nothing wrong in jailing people like Alex Ekwueme on trumped up charges even when Justice Uwaifo panel EXONERATED him and made the famous statement that politics made Ekwueme poorer.
He did not see anything wrong with serving under a government that had no plans of returning power to civillians. For 20 months Buhari held sway, he never mooted the idea of returning power to civilians. Like Abacha, Buhari wanted to be life President until his brother criminal kicked him out. Need I remind you that it took the other criminal, Abdulsalam Abubakar, just 9 months to conduct elections?

It is a shame that young people should be supporting the return to power of those who kept Nigeria in it's current state. Buhari is part of the old brigade. Somebody who achieved nothing as a ruler when he was younger cannot achieve nothing as a ruler in his old age.

The problem with most of you is that you are so deluded you believe your own lies. Let's start here - show a link to where Soyinka said GMB wasn't honest! I ask that in the belief you know the difference between honesty and being authoritarian!

And then "stealing by administrators" - another daft lie! Under GMB, Colonel PK Obasa was NYSC director and was found to have stolen 9million Naira . Not only did he have to refund every kobo of this sum, but he was also sentenced (by a civilian court - a military officer NOT protected by the military unlike even todaywhere they are demigods) to spend 21 years in prison. Note that he lived practically next door to Idiagbon in Ilorin and was quite close to him yet they refused to protect him.

Every single one of your claims is garbage - an attempt to throw enough mud in the hope some will stick! If indeed you were 8 in 1983, you ought be ashamed of yourself anyway to NOT have a mind and be guided by rumors and sentiments whist 40 is staring you in the face. Tough situations require tough actions (which is why only the best win races). In 1984, people were going to use "import duty" notes got through "connections" to get rice at 19Naira per bag and were selling at 300 Naira (ask your elder siblings) - I was a teen then and I refuse to sympatise with the animals who were ripping us off like that! It is instructive that when a price ceiling was placed on those goods to restore sanity, their decision was to hide, create a panic and thus force the Government to kowtow to their greed! He solved this for us Nigerians by going into their stores, selling at normal prices and giving them their money! If you will take a minute and think, you'd realise what they did by hoarding was economic sabotage and would have resulted in turmoil! You need to apply reason and ask yourself if the C-in-C as he then was, needed rice from anybody's shop to eat! So who did he do it for?

You people are just pathetic in your myopia and are today exhibiting the stockhold syndroem again - you hahave fallen in love with your oppressors and are at best, pets sitting under your master's table whist the GMBs of this world are asking you to take a chair and sit - as men!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by gymer(m): 7:13pm On Oct 14, 2014
nuclearboy:

The problem with most of you is that you are so deluded you believe your own lies. Let's start here - show a link to where Soyinka said GMB wasn't honest! I ask that in the belief you know the difference between honesty and being authoritarian!

And then "stealing by administrators" - another daft lie! Under GMB, Colonel PK Obasa was NYSC director and was found to have stolen 9million Naira . Not only did he have to refund every kobo of this sum, but he was also sentenced (by a civilian court - a military officer NOT protected by the military unlike even todaywhere they are demigods) to spend 21 years in prison. Note that he lived practically next door to Idiagbon in Ilorin and was quite close to him yet they refused to protect him.

Every single one of your claims is garbage - an attempt to throw enough mud in the hope some will stick! If indeed you were 8 in 1983, you ought be ashamed of yourself anyway to NOT have a mind and be guided by rumors and sentiments whist 40 is staring you in the face. Tough situations require tough actions (which is why only the best win races). In 1984, people were going to use "import duty" notes got through "connections" to get rice at 19Naira per bag and were selling at 300 Naira (ask your elder siblings) - I was a teen then and I refuse to sympatise with the animals who were ripping us off like that! It is instructive that when a price ceiling was placed on those goods to restore sanity, their decision was to hide, create a panic and thus force the Government to kowtow to their greed! He solved this for us Nigerians by going into their stores, selling at normal prices and giving them their money! If you will take a minute and think, you'd realise what they did by hoarding was economic sabotage and would have resulted in turmoil! You need to apply reason and ask yourself if the C-in-C as he then was, needed rice from anybody's shop to eat! So who did he do it for?

You people are just pathetic in your myopia and are today exhibiting the stockhold syndroem again - you hahave fallen in love with your oppressors and are at best, pets sitting under your master's table whist the GMBs of this world are asking you to take a chair and sit - as men!

http://saharareporters.com/2007/01/14/crimes-buhari-wole-soyinka
Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 14, 2014
Buhari is a criminal!

He was a soldier who swore an oath to serve Nigeria according to the dictats of the 1979 constitution. That constitution clearly states the legitimate means for which the government of the day can be removed! Coup de tat was not one of them!

Tam David West should be apologising for taking part in that illegality that set us back by at least 20 years!

If our current soldiers are all knowing as Buhari was there will not be a democracy nor an election for Buhari and his gang to take part in. What message are we sending to young soldiers of today?

"Plot a coup and truncate democracy, because 20years later you can come back and claim to be the most honest man in the country and take part in the very democratic process you denied the country?

What a shame!

Also those who call this Buhari the only corrup free politician in Nigeria should provide the following evidence or reference:

1. Records of Buhari asset declaration
2. Record of what Buhari does for a living
3. Public record of who funds Buhari's endless election campaigns or evidence of how he funds his campaign!
4. Evidence that Buhari's source of income is enough to pay his bills

There is no other place in the world where a man that has never been vetted can be crowned the only honest politician in the country!

Claiming to live in a small house is not evidence of being corrupt free because there are litany of stories of drug barons and mafia bosses who lead a modest life style to disguise their wealth!

1 Like

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by shift15(m): 8:34pm On Oct 14, 2014
jfking2005:

General Buhari was born on December 17, 1942. He is 72 years in 2014. He will be 73 in 2015. Still young to be President of Nigeria! This nonsense about age is also faulted on the grounds that good leadership is not necessarily defined by age. It is also not defined by high learning – PhD and all that. Good leadership is innate divine endowment. But it can also be nurtured at times. From my research (ably assisted by my friend, Okoi Obono-Obla) I list some 15 examples of leaders, both in Africa and abroad who are older – some much older-than General Buhari.

Let me start with our neighbour, Liberia, with its great lady president:President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President 2006 at age 70. She was 75 in 2011. She will remain president till 2016. She will be 80 years then. President Jacob Zuma, South Africa is 72 years old. He will be president till 2019 at 77 years.

Nelson Mandela, born July 18, 1918. President of South Africa in 1994 at 76 years. Still president in 1998 (single term) when he voluntarily stepped down for Mbeki. He was 80 years. If he had served his two terms he would have been 84 years.

President Peter Mutharika, Malawi 74 when he was sworn in on 31 May, 2014. He will be president till 2019 at 79 years.

President Alpa Conde Guinea. President at 76 years. President in December 2011 at 72 years.President Jose Eduardo Santos, Angola 72 years. He will be president till 2020 at 78 years. President Abde Bourtefilka, Algeria 77 years. President till 2020 at 83 years old.

President Alasanne Quattara, Ivory Coast 72 years in 2012. President till 2016 at 76 years.

Yoweri Museveni, Uganda, president since 1985 at 70 years won another seven years in 2013 at 77 years, will be president till 2020 at 84.

President Jose Mujiaga of Uruguay 75 at election; reelected and is now 79 years.

President Tedoro Oblang Nguema Mbasogo, Equatorial Guinea; born January 6, 1942 is 72 years and still going on.

President Michael Sata, Zambia 77 years – president September 23, 2011 at 74; will be president till 2016. He will be 79.

President Paul Biya of Cameroon (President Jonathan has obvious fancy for him) is 81 years. He will be in office till 2017 at 84.

President Milos Zeman of Chech Republic is 70 will be in office till 2018 at 74.

President Ronald Reagan; born February 06, 1911. President USA at 70. Two terms of 4 years in 1989 he was 78.

I think Prof. missed out on President Robert Mugabe. Btw, I heard Prof. went to jail for collecting bribe once. Is it true?
Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by jking001(m): 8:42pm On Oct 14, 2014
In your twisted mind you have made sense,clamoring for a 72 years old man filled with rage and hate here's my take a quote from someone on nairaland

What a shame!

Also those who call this Buhari the only corrup free politician in Nigeria should provide the following evidence or reference:

1. Records of Buhari asset declaration
2. Record of what Buhari does for a living
3. Public record of who funds Buhari's endless election campaigns or evidence of how he funds his campaign!
4. Evidence that Buhari's source of income is enough to pay his bills

There is no other place in the world where a man that has never been vetted can be crowned the only honest politician in the country!

Claiming to live in a small house is not evidence of being corrupt free because there are litany of stories of drug barons and mafia bosses who lead a modest life style to disguise their wealth!

ayindejimmy:

the moral values of the youths in Ng have been misprioritized. If u can talk down on a celebrated icon and some1 dat epitomises intergrity, then whom will u hold in high esteem?
Some1 is speaking verifiabled facts u r speaking random fiction. U rily need to upgrade
Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Sibabasibaba1: 10:05pm On Oct 14, 2014
@nuclearboy,

Throw insults about, that us how you supporters of Buhari do. I won't insult you. As usual, I will demolish you with facts.
1. Just do a google search on 'The crimes of Buhari' by Wole Soyinka. Besides, plotting a coup is disloyalty to the C-in-C and the Constitution. It is a crime. And I have yet to see where crime is honesty. Please don't tell me the now hackneyed defence of Buhari was not part of the coup plotters.
2. Ike Nwachukwu was the sole administrator of Imo State during Buhari's time. And all he did was to steal Imo State dry with his cronies, messing up all good Mbakwe did. This is just one example.
3. A visionary government uses imaginative means arrest hoarding. If the government did its beat, goods hoarded would have become useless and the 'hoarder' would lose. Each state had a marketing board then, all that was needed was for the government to flood the country with the hoarded goods through the marketing boards. But the dictators in power with no ideas went about lumping all importers together and killing people's businesses even when there was no effort to boost local manufacturing. Many warehouses were touched by these animals in human skin even when goods found in the warehouse were not imported. I know of one distributor of Unilever whose warehouse was looted by these guys. OMO detergent was stored there and thesw soldiers came around, opened the warehouse and attempted to sale the ware below cost price. The owner was begging them, telling them that he never sold anything above the recommended price by Unilever and even asked the soldiers to ask around from people who bought from him or from Unilever. His appeal fell on deaf ears. Worse still, the man was beaten black and blue by the soldiers in front of his family and the public.What saved this man was that he was a kind man. People refused to bu from the soldiers. At the end, they left but not without some loot.

3. You are the one having problem with Stockholm syndrome. You appear to have become so used to dictatorship that you appear to believe that the only way to resolve issue is through bullying. Please travel out and you find people who bully civilians are JAILED and not praised. Where I live, three policemen I don't know why you have to subscribe to soldiers bullying civillians on the road in the name of tough times requires tough actions. That is not a civilised way of resolving issues.

4. If you want to sell your dictator you should learn how to marshall your points without insulting people. A teen in 1983 is getting closer to 50 now. If at close to 50 you still insult people in an attempt to win argument I don't know what we should be telling today's teens

1 Like

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by glory2glory: 10:05pm On Oct 14, 2014
A good write up there by Tam David West. Even Gej and Pdp know these truths. I pray Nigerians get it right in 2015 by voting GMB As for me he has my vote.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by glory2glory: 10:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:
@=nuclearboy

How has the new brigade of Gej moved Nigeria forward. Did you read the article at all? Can you compare Buhari's achievements to Gej 6 years .
Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
God bless Gen Muhammadu Buhari......

1 Like

Re: Buhari: The Politics Of Age By Professor Tam David-west by Canme4u(m): 11:53pm On Oct 14, 2014
Nice one

(1) (2) (Reply)

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Wins With Land Slide In Borno, Sokoto, Kebbi, States / I Will Not Consider U 4 Ministerial Appointment – Buhari Tells Fashola, Amaechi / Your Biafra Agenda Will Fail Again – Arewa Warns Ndigbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.