Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,568 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN (27258 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Is The Chancellor Of University Of Maiduguri / See What They Did To A Graduating Student Of UNIBEN Today(photo) / The Release Of Uniben Post-ume Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 15, 2014
hauwababy:
The new Vice Chancellor of the University of Benin (UNIBEN) is Prof. OSASERE ORUMWENSE. Prof ORUMWENSE who hails from the Bini speaking tribe of Edo State was a lecturer in the Mechanical Engineering department of the school and was also the admission officer of the school in 2001. He was later appointed the Rector of Institute of Technology and Management (IMT), Usen,Edo State. He was also the dean , Faculty of Engineering, UNIBEN.

He takes over from[b] Prof. Oshodi who served excellently well and is also a Benin man.
[/b]
http://www.yeoal.com/2014/10/yeoal-exclusive-professor-osasere.html
doofanc:
the outgoing vc was Bini if I'm not mistaken, and this one is Bni as well. Doesn't seem too fair in my opinion. what abt the other ethnic groups? Esan , akoko Edo etc
hovic:
Good, Goodnews.
Lets govern our schools our self, even if am from ESAN (Ekpoma), i still prefer an EDO man to govern the great UNIBEN.
Long LIVES the binis.
Long LIVES the Esan.
Long LIVES the akoko-edo.
Long LIVES the Auchi peeps.

Haters gonna hate.
P.S When his tenor expires will shall replace him with another EDO till Jesus the son of God comes back.

The above posts are a demonstration of a part of the reason why our universities are in a mess....the idea that tribe must take pre-eminence over every other consideration in selecting a VC for a University.

In my humble opinion, the best man for the job should be the VC of any university in Nigeria. If a Hausa man had run for the UNIBEN VC job on a five year plan to raise funds for the university, improve academic standards, and get corporate sponsors to build hostels for the university....then give that man the job.

The problem really is that Nigeria is a resource dependent country. So, a tribally right VC for any Nigerian University means that the tribe gets a corner on the oil money. Whereas, in an industrial society....it is the most innovative gent, preferably a gent with previous experience of transforming universities, that would be chosen to run the uni....because there is no oil money...and thus the university must stay innovative to stay well funded.

In order to end the tribal warfest that has affected our universities....Nigeria needs to get off oil. Oil is a curse.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 15, 2014
Swagalord18:

Jealous much? cool tongue

Speaking as a medical doctor...I would disagree.

In my university, it was not uncommon for Science students to be placed in the same hostel with Arts students. Of course....different styles of study= problems.

I think it is in order for the Engineers to have their own space....at least peace and quiet to focus on studies.

Better still, we could build hostels as blocks of studio flats....so that every student has his/her space.....and we could place science students in one spot, arts in another spot, etc....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by paulavon: 7:37am On Oct 15, 2014
This is a great news for me,I am happy that one of my departmental lecturers could rise to such position. I remembered when I went to meet him in 2010 to sign a postgraduate form for me as my referee,he recognized that I was a Bini and spoke our language to me but I told him I do not understand the language and he felt disappointed in me.he later advised me that it was not too late that I should make all efforts to learn.He really inspired me to learn and today I can understand my language to some extent now.
I want to wish him God's wisdom and protection during his reign as the VC of the great Uniben.

3 Likes

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by martineverest(m): 7:42am On Oct 15, 2014
Gradually 'beninising' uniben,second benin vc after long ibo,ishan and delta rule in uniben...........the new vc is very gentle and calm,though he spend most of his last ten years abroad....good one from my dept,mechanical engineering
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by jobakademy: 7:46am On Oct 15, 2014
congrats
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Neldrizzy(m): 7:49am On Oct 15, 2014
chizzy94:
Can he build a separate hostel(s) for Engineering students just like our Medical counterparts??

Loll.. Sir, don't worry they will transfer all Engineering student to ekenwa Campus so we can have more space in ugbowo campus grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by martineverest(m): 7:51am On Oct 15, 2014
So tribalistic of u...keep 'beninising' uniben
ismokeweed:
I'm so happy. Edo people will keep on holding that seat. Uniben was too liberal in the past by letting any efulefu like Nwanze be vc. We took a stand with Oshodin and he has done so well. Given so many of our people employment there. I hope this one continues the good work.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by martineverest(m): 7:53am On Oct 15, 2014
So tribalistic of u...keep 'beninising' uniben.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 15, 2014
Neldrizzy:
Loll.. Sir, don't worry they will transfer all Engineering student to ekenwa Campus so we can have more space in ugbowo campus grin grin

LOL not a bad idea grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by presiade(m): 7:53am On Oct 15, 2014
Well, I wish him well. Although I recall that this man (Professor F.F.O. Orumwense) ended his 8-year 'Rector-ship' at Edo State Institute of Technology and Management (ESITM) unceremoniously. Indeed, that school was underfunded, but he could have done more.
I was a corps member at ITM when he was rector.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by nancyberry(f): 7:54am On Oct 15, 2014
what happened to the former vc
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Slytacus(m): 8:04am On Oct 15, 2014
Greatest UNIBEN! This is good news; I pray he follow Oshodin's step of development and do better. I miss Great UniBest.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by collinkz: 8:19am On Oct 15, 2014
2yr ago when he returnd to uniben rumor has it that he came bck to become d VC now he is, contested for HOD mech last year and smbdy who didnt contest won.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 15, 2014
hovic:
Good, Goodnews.
Lets govern our schools our self, even if am from ESAN (Ekpoma), i still prefer an EDO man to govern the great UNIBEN.
Long LIVES the binis.
Long LIVES the Esan.

Haters gonna hate.
P.S When his tenor expires will shall replace him with another EDO till Jesus the son of God comes back.

I like Ur very last statement. Jesus is God's Son and not God Himself - John 14:28.

Many have bn blinded to dis simple Biblical truth.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by emmiej: 8:50am On Oct 15, 2014
Congrat Sire...
May the God that leads you, guide you...
Ever KNOWLEDGE FOR SERVICE....
Greatest of d greatest...
Long live UNIBEST...
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by jayriginal: 9:01am On Oct 15, 2014
Unibenstudent:
Here is ur new vc

Thats Prof Oshodin my friend.

Your name is Unibenstudent and you cannot differentiate between Prof Oshodin and the new Vice Chancellor?
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 15, 2014
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 15, 2014
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by texazzpete(m): 9:13am On Oct 15, 2014
ismokeweed:
I'm so happy. Edo people will keep on holding that seat. Uniben was too liberal in the past by letting any efulefu like Nwanze be vc. We took a stand with Oshodin and he has done so well. Given so many of our people employment there. I hope this one continues the good work.

Why must you people introduce tribalism into this?

it's a federal institution, let the VC be chosen on merit and not on tribal basis.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 9:14am On Oct 15, 2014

1 Like

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by nnewa: 9:18am On Oct 15, 2014
I wish to congratulate both the out going and I coming VCs. however I am piqued by the subtle emphasis on the persons tribe.
if the country insists on and promotes Federal character in many govt businesses including the armed forces, recruitment, politics, appointments to mention a few, why this seemingly antagonistic, divisive and tribalistic tendency by the same govt when they appoint CEOs and Chief Executives of Federal Organizations and or parastatals in different states.
if it is not sacrosanct that these heads come from the vicinity or state or same tribe I think it should even be a law to appoint the heads from other states.this goes a long way to encourage integration, free flow of labour(to reduce fear of intimidation or oppressive tendency in organizations not in ones state of origin), best hands at the job etc.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by esof1(f): 9:20am On Oct 15, 2014
martineverest:
So tribalistic of u...keep 'beninising' uniben.

So it won't be tribalistic if we 'igbolize' or 'yorubalize' it.

I cant recall any federal university in the east having a northern or Western VC, Or a university in the west having an Igbo VC.

2 Likes

Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 15, 2014
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Doctor21(m): 9:22am On Oct 15, 2014
chizzy94:
Can he build a separate hostel(s) for Engineering students just like our Medical counterparts??

biko wat z dis dude sayn
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 15, 2014
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 15, 2014
Well, would u look at that! He's a Prof. of Mechanical engineering.Now that's an awesomely bad news.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by Bennyberry(m): 9:38am On Oct 15, 2014
Unibenstudent:
Here is ur new vc
so u dont even knw prof Oshodin?..and u claim to b a unibenstudent...u just washed ur dirty linens outside...it confirmed...U ARENT A STUDENT OF UNIBEN..
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by anath(m): 9:39am On Oct 15, 2014
That is my prof from the Department of Mechanical Engineering,that guy is calm and considerate. Congratulation sir to ur new office
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by npn001(f): 9:55am On Oct 15, 2014
Congratz to him!

But please when will UNIBEN release the acceptance/school fees for newly admitted students?
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by ikevin(m): 10:05am On Oct 15, 2014
hovic:
Good, Goodnews.
Long LIVES the binis.
Long LIVES the Esan.

Haters gonna hate.
that is a federal university not a state university sucker.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by topas100(m): 10:19am On Oct 15, 2014
Congrats to him.
Re: Professor Osasere Orumwense Is The New Vice Chancellor Of UNIBEN by ogoigbe(m): 10:55am On Oct 15, 2014
hollandis:
Why Benin man?why cant they look for an Imo man?
what do u mean by that? He merit the position

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Now Have An Extra Year. So Sad. / Requirements To Study Accounting. / Video: Nigerian Student Beaten Mercilessly On The Street Of Malaysia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.