Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,250 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa (25895 Views)

Original Map Of Africa In 1827 Before Europeans Arrived- Biafra In The Map / Why I Renamed UNILAG Moshood Abiola University - Jonathan / Map Of Africa Before Europeans. . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 15, 2014
Al Kibula.

Before "Africa," this was the continents name.

Oral history.

1 Like

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by lirusehn(m): 3:22pm On Oct 15, 2014

K undecided

1 Like

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by blemon44(m): 3:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
Which one do you prefer?
AL kibula or Africa
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
blemon44:
Which one do you prefer?
AL kibula or Africa
Hard qsn. I think the first represents a lost glory. I like it for that.

1 Like

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Idrismusty97(m): 3:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
The Algerians(The Berber tribe to be specific). are the first ones to be called "Africa" not even the blacks. The Romans coined the name "Africa". For sometime the name was only limited to the northern region of the continent(Libya, Algeria, Tunisia etc..). They were the first ones to be called Africa but now that the Sub Sahara and the blacks are also called that same word the Algerians are now dissociating themselves from Africa. They now preferred to be called "Arabs". Our blackness have dearth the purity of that name smiley.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
Idrismusty97:
The Algerians(The Berber tribe to be specific). are the first ones to be called "Africa" not even the blacks. The Romans coined the name "Africa". For sometime the name was only limited to the northern region of the continent(Libya, Algeria, Tunisia etc..). They were the first ones to be called Africa but now that the Sub Sahara and the blacks are also called that same word the Algerians are now dissociating themselves from Africa. They now preferred to be called "Arabs". Our blackness have dearth the purity of that name smiley.

You mean YOUR ''blackness'' is a problem. Leave the rest of us out of it, self hater.

17 Likes

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
muafrika:
Al Kibula.

Oral history.

Whose oral history gave you that name? That is an Arab sounding term and there is no way it can be the ''original'' name for Africa since Arabs only entered the continent a thousand years ago, while the continent has given rise to civilizations that are over 12,000 years old. So whatever the 'original' name for Africa was, we simply don't know.

5 Likes

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Idrismusty97(m): 4:33pm On Oct 15, 2014
ROSSIKE:

You mean YOUR ''blackness'' is a problem. Leave the rest of us out of it, self hater.
That isn't meant to be an insult. Just letting you know the Arabs are racists so are the Jews. Stop getting attached to them because of some silly foreign religions.

8 Likes

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
Idrismusty97:
Ive seen North Africans refer to dark peoples as Africans. To an extent I agree. They are very recent additions to the continent. They came as passing merchants and were only locked in by colonial borders. I don't blame them for being homesick.

3 Likes

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Whose oral history gave you that name? That is an Arab sounding term and there is no way it can be the ''original'' name for Africa since Arabs only entered the continent a thousand years ago, while the continent has given rise to civilizations that are over 12,000 years old. So whatever the 'original' name for Africa was, we simply don't know.
Its the most recent name. Its still acknowledged by the people in the Nile valley, S.Sudan from where the many peoples expanded to the rest of the continent.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by blemon44(m): 4:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
muafrika:
Hard qsn. I think the first represents a lost glory. I like it for that.

Tell me The meaning of Al kibula?
Since you said its a lost glory
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
blemon44:

It is lost glory because some strangers imposed their own version of our Identity on us in disregard to what our fathers perceived as our Identity. Our renaming is significant as a symbol of the declining ability to determine our destiny. As for the meaning, I have limited knowledge. If there is a Dinka here pls help. However, there is a Namibian tribe by the name Kibula. I think there is a connection.

1 Like

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 15, 2014
Idrismusty97:
What do you mean...don't let them fool you,we are beautiful,as beautiful as can be,from a special race.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by adexsimply(m): 6:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
following cool cool cool
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
blemon44:

Kibula is also close to diverse Bantu words for rain, in others, like in the D.R. Congo, meaning to break something, so it must have been a time of good rainfall and fertile land. There is also an ancient Arabic reference to a land called Kibula, whose direction Mecca was said to face. Al is probably a prefix of "the" or "Land of." Kibula is also used as a person's name by other tribes.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Ikengawo: 6:58pm On Oct 15, 2014
how can 'africa's name' be a word from the arabian pennisula?
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Ikengawo: 7:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
muafrika:
It is lost glory because some strangers imposed their own version of our Identity on us in disregard to what our fathers perceived as our Identity. Our renaming is significant as a symbol of the declining ability to determine our destiny. As for the meaning, I have limited knowledge. If there is a Dinka here pls help. However, there is a Namibian tribe by the name Kibula. I think there is a connection.

You're not speaking on reality. "Africa" isn't a language or a tribe. It's not a 'people' and calling it so or understanding it as so is saying the cultural legacies of it's individual ethnic groups and legacies are ignorable details. Most african languages didn't have a word for Africa, that's the bottom line, unless they were cultures familiar to topography. If the Romans decided to name the continent after one berber tribe in their own language and it stuck/spread so be it. My glory isn't lost because i'm using a Berber word. Al Kabbab or whatever is an arab word and whatever europeans did in africa for their word to be considered a 'lost glory' don't forget that arabs did the exact same thing for a longer period of time.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ikengawo:
how can 'africa's name' be a word from the arabian pennisula?
Kibula is an African word, very much in use in diverse African tribes.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 7:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
Where did u heartit from@op?
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ikengawo:

You're not speaking on reality. "Africa" isn't a language or a tribe. It's not a 'people' and calling it so or understanding it as so is saying the cultural legacies of it's individual ethnic groups and legacies are ignorable details. Most african languages didn't have a word for Africa, that's the bottom line, unless they were cultures familiar to topography. If the Romans decided to name the continent after one berber tribe in their own language and it stuck/spread so be it. My glory isn't lost because i'm using a Berber word. Al Kabbab or whatever is an arab word and whatever europeans did in africa for their word to be considered a 'lost glory' don't forget that arabs did the exact same thing for a longer period of time.
The name refers to the continent. Some tribes did have a word for it. Many tribes travelled beyond the continent for trade, etc and were extensively aware of it and other lands. AlsoNames change with empires, so "Africa" isn't permanent.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by yelonelo(f): 7:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
undecidedREALLY
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:
Where did u heartit from@op?
Its actually quite common knowledge among the South Sudan tribes. I love to seek knowledge on my origins.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2014
yelonelo:
undecidedREALLY
For real.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Egomah(m): 8:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
First of all, it wasn't the Roman that gave this continent the name Africa, its the Greek and it meant the Sunny Continent . The north Africans were never truly Africans, they migrated from souther Europe. Just like the Tunisians are called the Catages, it was during the Roman emperor that they defeated them, that's how they moved down to our continent.
I am proud of my colour, who ever is not proud of his, is not fit to live
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Idrismusty97(m): 8:33pm On Oct 15, 2014
Egomah:
First of all, it wasn't the Roman that gave this continent the name Africa, its the Greek and it meant the Sunny Continent . The north Africans were never truly Africans, they migrated from souther Europe. Just like the Tunisians are called the Catages, it was during the Roman emperor that they defeated them, that's how they moved down to our continent.
It is the Romans, Maybe the word just have a greek history(Many words do) but it is definitely the Romans that named the continent. And it means "Land of Afer" not "Sunny continent".
Africa was not a name given to the continent by its inhabitants, but was instead a name created
by the Romans. This most likely occurred
during Rome’s wars with the North African
empire of Carthage—either as a re-tooling of a
Greek or Phoenician name, or as a result of an
encounter with a North African tribe.
“Africa”—land of the Afer—was a name used by
the Romans to refer to the region belonging to
Carthage, a powerful North African empire they
clashed with during the Punic Wars.
In all
likelihood, Africa is not an African word; instead,
its phonetic origins may originate with the
Greeks or Phoenicians.
http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/11/28/africa-is-a-roman-name/

The name Africa came into Western
use through the Romans, who used the name
Africa terra "land of the Afri" (plural, or
"Afer" singular) for the northern part of the
continent, as the province of Africa with its
capital Carthage, corresponding to modern-
day Tunisia.
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_did_Africa_get_its_name

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Africaweb/factfile/africauniquefact5.htm

The word "Afer" have four possible meanings/origin;
1. The origin of Afer may either come from:
the Phoenician `afar, dust;
2. the Afri, a tribe possibly Berber
who dwelt in North Africa in the Carthage
area;
3. The Greek word aphrike, meaning without
cold (see also List of traditional Greek place
names);
4. The Latin word aprica, meaning sunny.
But the most likely origin is the "Berbers tribe" in Algeria as many researchers have concluded.

Egomah:
The north Africans were never truly Africans, they migrated from souther Europe.
But it was the North Africa empire(The Carthage) the Romans clash with before they named them "Africa" so they are the true Africans! Whether they came from Europe or Pluto they fought with the Romans in "African soil" and earned that name.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by 9jii(m): 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
muafrika:
Al Kibula.

Oral history.
It was called 'Sudan'
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 9:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
Look, there was no specific name for the continent which everyone identified with. Just as there is no single name for God. How can there be a single name for Africa? Each race or group had its own name for it. The Greeks called it ''Ethiopia'' - everywhere south of Egypt. Later, Arabs called it 'Bilad Al Sudan' etc etc. Africans themselves rarely propagated a name for the entire land mass of Africa. It's normaly those that see themselves as conquerors or explorers who go naming entire continents. Europe itself may have been so named by ancient migrating Africans and semites who first populated it.

''Another theory suggests that [the term Europe] is based on a Semitic word such as the Akkadian erebu meaning "to go down, set" (in reference to the sun), cognate to Phoenician ereb "evening; west".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

ie the land where the sun is always set.... the land of no sun.. etc. Only those from sunny lands would so name a place.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by lonelydora: 9:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
So what happened to the name? Whose oral history? Was/Is the person born some 5000 years ago?
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by major466(m): 9:42pm On Oct 15, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Exactly my point. It sound so Arabic. The name itself is ridiculous because African Civilization predates Arab Civilization by thousands of years. As it is today, there's no record of the original name of Africa as far as archeology is concerned.

4 Likes

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 15, 2014
I doubt if there was any name for the present day Africa prior to the advent of the Arabs and of course, the Romans. If any word sounded like from it the name was gotten, it is a coincidence I must say.

All it was then was a Kingdom and then - another kingdom.

1 Like

Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
Egomah:
Not even from the middle East? Africans had already begun the Southward migrations by that time, leaving the harsh desert open for other peoples.
Re: Africa's Name Before Europeans Renamed It Africa by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 15, 2014
blizard44:
I doubt if there was any name for the present day Africa prior to the advent of the Arabs and of course, the Romans. If any word sounded like from it the name was gotten, it is a coincidence I must say.

All it was then was a Kingdom and then - another kingdom.
Al Kibula may have been one of those great kingdoms or may be an inference to its reknown natural wealth, like plenty of water and rain.

(1) (2) (Reply)

El-Rufai Visits Lai Mohammed In Abuja (Photos) / Protesters In Abuja Accuse Buhari Of Nepotism, Illegal Recruitment / Ruga Settlement Is To Resolve Farmer/Herder Conflicts - Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.