Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. (1661 Views)

5 Sure Ways To Stop Feeling Insecure In Your Relationships / Are You Feeling Suicidal? Come Here First! (part 2) / How To Get Along With Each Other In Our Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 6:22pm On Oct 15, 2014

Mature responses are welcome.
Please let's not inundate the thread with denigrative comments.
Thanks in anticipation of our cooperation.

Thinkers

Thinkers are people who pride them-selves on being objective. They respond according to ‘the principle of the thing’ and apply standards to measure the appropriateness of behaviour. They are often seen as critical (less accepting), who will always question others decisions before accepting them. They tend to step out of their situation and apply their logic to it, working through it in a sequential way until reaching a conclusion.

Feelers

Feelers are more subjective. They make decisions based on their feelings, gut reactions, what is important to them, and how things affect other people. They value harmony highly, and will try to avoid argument, often to the point of doing something they don’t want just ‘for a quiet life’. They thus appear more accepting, and trusting of their ‘gut instincts’. In a situation they will not step out of it and reason, but stay within it to assess its impact on ‘the whole’. They see a problem not as something linear, but more like a web, where anything occurring on it is felt all over, by everyone connected to it. This is the only filter where there does seem to be an orientation based on gender. Most men describe themselves as Thinkers, while most women are more comfortable with Feeling. Perhaps no surprises there for you.

Misunderstandings between Thinkers and Feelers

Feelers are uncomfortable with conflict, particularly if they are also Intuitors. They will often go with the flow rather than speak against something.

If a Thinker mistakes this for agreement then resentment can begin to build. Thinkers will often take what is said as being all there is, and so can become confused when their Feeler partner goes back on something they thought was done and dusted. Conversations that begin with “But you said….” are classic between these two.

I often hear Feelers describing Thinkers as ‘uncaring’ and ‘cold’. They are neither. They just make a decision based on different criteria. The same goes the other way round. Feelers are not ‘over-emotional’, or ‘soft’, they just focus on different aspects of the issue. Our brains can either think, or they can feel, they cannot do both at the same time. With Feelers their emotional intelligence tends to be more highly valued than their intellectual, logical side. Reverse that for Thinkers. In a healthy relationship, working something through both systems can go a long way to sorting out communication hitches.

Respect is important on both sides. Seeing as this research is on the side of a sex divide with this filter I suppose it may be safer than usual to say mainly to the men that just because a women’s arguments are likely to based more around emotive issues, how other people will feel, how this will affect A, B, T and Z, how it would just be nicer to do it this way, that this has any less value than the sense you make of it.

A women’s reasoning may appear subjective to you, but the truth is that logic is really subjective as well. Because we make sense of the world through our filters nothing is really objective – i.e. ‘as it is’ – what we call objectivity is really only something subjective that a given majority of people agree with.

To the women I would say that stepping out and viewing a situation from a more disassociated position can give a different range of options. Feelings can distort perception in a way that sometimes can tie you in knots, and some-times it is only appropriate to look at how A affects B, not B, T, and Z. As I said earlier using both ways of thinking, and honouring both, can leave you with the most ways of solving something. I am also aware that it is easier said than done to overcome the way you habitually think – but the point is that it can be done if you are prepared to.

Source

Okay, I featured on abeautifulchick's thread and I saw diverse characters, I was amazed and scared too.

Then I remembered this entry I made in my diary (The Quoted).

I thought to share, in the hope that it'll give regulars in this section and the general public, some insight as to why both genders reason the way they do.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by bukatyne(f): 6:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
The writeup seem to infer that there is a 'natural' divide across both sexes

I would say that love is all that matters cheesy

If a couple know where each other fall into, the other can work around it and both reach a compromise
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 6:53pm On Oct 15, 2014
bukatyne:
The writeup seem to infer that there is a 'natural' divide across both sexes

I would say that love is all that matters cheesy

If a couple know where each other fall into, the other can work around it and both reach a compromise

LoL

The writer clearly states that.

It's more like a research conducted among men and women.

I've observed that men who are naturally feelers, tend towards the thinking function because it makes them MANLY.

Women who are naturally Thinkers tend towards being feeling as it makes them more WOMANLY.

Exactly what the article suggests @TheEmboldened

1 Like

Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by valmunich(m): 7:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
It's quite confusing how a big derailer expects her own thread not to be derailed sad

I'm coming back , lemme get a weed

The derailing here is gon be epic ! angry

3 Likes

Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 7:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
Valmunich
Quote/Mention me on any thread I've derailed, I'll be there at bolt speed to state exactly why I did.

#Expectant

Besides, this is family section, I have never derailed any thread here.
I expect that the same grace be accorded me.

Danke cool
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
When I clicked on the source, I knew why there are so many fallacies in the text.

The biggest one is that you cannot think and feel at the same time.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:
When I clicked on the source, I knew why there are so many fallacies in the text.

The thing surprise me too undecided
I for don kill person if I no fit think when I'm angry (feel), but my thinking faculty sabi say na jail be that! cheesy

Lots of examples to oppose that theory undecided
I read through and I'm neither a 'feeler' nor a 'thinker' or maybe I'm both cheesy
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
alutacontinua:

I for don kill person if I no fit think when I'm angry (feel), but my thinking faculty sabi say na jail be that! cheesy

I read through and I'm neither a 'feeler' nor a 'thinker' or maybe I'm both cheesy

You have given a perfect example to show that this assumption cannot be true. grin cheesy

Every healthy human being thinks and feels and most of the time we think and feel at the same time.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 8:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Psychotherapy seeks to assert our capacity to do both. But what about our brains.

What other fallacies did you notice?
Please share.

#OpenMinded
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Stillfire: 8:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
Most humans fall in between, the extremes often turn out to be serial killers or psychos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2014
alutacontinua:

LoL
You first felt anger before thinking/deciding not to act on it.

Yes, @TheEmboldened.

Like me, you're an Ambivert.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 8:10pm On Oct 15, 2014
Stillfire:
Most humans fall in between, the extremes often turn out to be serial killers or psychos.

True that, but it all humans, there is one dominant function, the one we prefer using the most.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 8:14pm On Oct 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

You have given a perfect example to show that this assumption cannot be true. grin cheesy

Every healthy human being thinks and feels and most of the time we think and feel at the same time.

Lolest.

While that is what I desperately wanna believe, I've found that we favor one of the functions over another. The favored one is the dominant one here.

Besides, this is beyond the normal everyday thinking and feeling we know about.

Perchance, ever heard of MBTI?
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 15, 2014
MizMyColi:

Psychotherapy seeks to assert our capacity to do both. But what about our brains.

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

What other fallacies did you notice?
Please share.

#OpenMinded

Another fallacy is that objective reasoning is a gender specific trait. It is not.
Objectivity depends more on education than on s*ex (and at times on the ability to be fair).
This does not mean that an uneducated person cannot reason objectively.

Another fallacy is that men are not as emotional as women.
There are studies that claim that men are at least as emotional as women but do not express their emotions in the same way.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 15, 2014
MizMyColi:

Lolest.

While that is what I desperately wanna believe, I've found that we favor one of the functions over another. The favored one is the dominant one here.

I do not favor either. Both abilities are human and important. It is important to be aware of the two and to use them wisely.

If you go by the posts here on NL, you will quickly discover that these gender stereotypes do not conform with reality.

Besides, this is beyond the normal everyday thinking and feeling we know about.

Explain, please.

Perchance, ever heard of MBTI?

Yes but it in no way supports the assumptions of this text.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Ymodulus: 8:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Another fallacy is that objective reasoning is a gender specific trait. It is not.
Objectivity depends more on education than on s*ex (and at times on the ability to be fair).

There are studies that claim that men are at least as emotional as women but do not express their emotions in the same way.

Please I love you. I love you! I love you I loveeeeee you.

Your post was brilliant. Just splendid. But for now I will be mute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ymodulus:

Please I love you. I love you! I love you I loveeeeee you.

Your post was brilliant. Just splendid. But for now I will be mute.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thank you.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thank you.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
More Love from me too. You said all that was in my mind when I first read the thread.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ichiato:

More Love from me too. You said all that was in my mind when I first read the thread.

Thank you. cheesy

I appreciate.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 15, 2014
Seems i am a thinker.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Ymodulus: 8:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
Sophyrocks:
Seems i am a thinker.

You should be proud of it. Its a good thing.

MizMyColi am I permitted to reply
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 15, 2014
#TeamThinker

1 Like

Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ymodulus:

You should be proud of it. Its a good thing.

MizMyColi am I permitted to reply

Oh Yes. I am proud of it. smiley
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by freecocoa(f): 9:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
I feel like plenty and I sure as hell think as equally.

Make I read the Opening post first. kiss
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 9:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
carefreewannabe:

During psychotherapy, you learn about your condition and your moods, feelings, thoughts and behaviors. Psychotherapy helps you learn how to take control of your life and respond to challenging situations with healthy coping skills.

Oh Yes, I quite agree, it is a fallacy indeed.
But let's face it, the average uninformed man out there thinks women are fish brained, while his female counterpart thinks men a big stone headed people, more like one way traffic.
Oh yes! Education does play a big role.
I'm actually looking at things from a base level sort of, where just about everyone can relate.

Besides this article, in the beginning looked at Thinkers and Feelers.......without putting in perspective, male or female.

It then digresses into it because, naturally, generally, both thinking and feeling women tend to be or wanna be more in tune with their feeling side.

For example, typically, what'd be a man and woman's reaction to this news.

"Two Bomber Jets carrying more than 20 million worth of Nuclear assets meant for the protection of our nation have been shot down by ISIS militants."

what is the man's concern, what is the woman's concern? I could explain more if you don't get it.

I've read about that research, but we judge people by what we see, feeel,perceive aboout them, innit?
Emotion is what I was refering to as everyday feeling and thinking.
Check this out.
"Most notably, people often mix up the nature of the Feeling function with the general meaning of feeling and emotion in everyday language. However, while the two are related to some extent, the relationship between them is by no means straightforward"

"And because a lot of beginners don’t really study Jungian typology, a lot of people end up believing that F types will act with little reason or thought, being merely bounced about by an array of irrational feelings. This is precisely the cardinal error that one falls into when one mixes Feeling (in the Jungian sense of the word) with feeling (in the everyday sense of the word)."

I would like to state here that both Thinking and Feeling are RATIONAL functions.

"However, the way Thinking and Feeling make decisions based upon the information is different. Thinking tends to make decisions or render judgment based on the impersonal, factual, and logical aspects of the information. Feeling tends to make decisions and render judgment based upon the personal, agreeable, and ideal aspects of the information, as well as the needs of the people who are involved in the situation."

"With everyday feeling, we often talk about being overcome with base, instinctual, and primitive reactions. Whereas Feeling in a Jungian sense is more concerned with a higher level refined judgment."

"The challenge is therefore to figure out where the notion of everyday feeling fits into Jungian typology if it can’t squarely be grouped under Feeling. In truth, while “everyday feeling” does have some overlaps with Jungian Feeling, the two are distinct, and Jungian typology doesn’t say much about the nature of everyday feeling."

1 Like

Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 15, 2014
MizMyColi:

During psychotherapy, you learn about your condition and your moods, feelings, thoughts and behaviors. Psychotherapy helps you learn how to take control of your life and respond to challenging situations with healthy coping skills.

I didn't ask what psychotherapy is dear, I just didn't get your point.

Oh Yes, I quite agree, it is a fallacy indeed.
But let's face it, the average uninformed man out there thinks women are fish brained, while his female counterpart thinks men a big stone headed people, more like one way traffic.
Oh yes! Education does play a big role.
I'm actually looking at things from a base level sort of, where just about everyone can relate.

The emphasis is on "uninformed".
I don't surround myself with this kind of men. wink

Besides this article, in the beginning looked at Thinkers and Feelers.......without putting in perspective, male or female.
It then digresses into it because, naturally, generally, both thinking and feeling women tend to be or wanna be more in tune with their feeling side.

The article is full of gender stereotypes but even if it wasn't, I would disagree.

For example, typically, what'd be a manand woman's reaction to this news.

"Two Bomber Jets carrying more than 20 million worth of Nuclear assets meant for the protection of our nation have been shot down by ISIS militants."
what is the man's concern, what is the woman's concern? I could explain more if you don't get it.
Lives were lost, in a

We would have the same concerns.

I've read about that research, but we judge people by what we see, feeel,perceive aboout them, innit?
Emotion is what I was refering to as everyday feeling and thinking.
Check this out.
"Most notably, people often mix up the nature of the Feeling function with the general meaning of feeling and emotion in everyday language. However, while the two are related to some extent, the relationship between them is by no means straightforward"

In everyday language feelings and emotions are synonyms but I have read some articles / texts / books, in which these terms were distinguished.

"And because a lot of beginners don’t really study Jungian typology, a lot of people end up believing that F types will act with little reason or thought, being merely bounced about by an array of irrational feelings. This is precisely the cardinal error that one falls into when one mixes Feeling (in the Jungian sense of the word) with feeling (in the everyday sense of the word)."

The text you quoted was not so deep.

I would like to state here that both Thinking and Feeling are RATIONAL functions.

I am not so sure.

"However, the way Thinking and Feeling make decisions based upon the information is different. Thinking tends to make decisions or render judgment based on the impersonal, factual, and logical aspects of the information. Feeling tends to make decisions and render judgment based upon the personal, agreeable, and ideal aspects of the information, as well as the needs of the people who are involved in the situation."
With everyday feeling, we often talk about being overcome with base, instinctual, and primitive reactions. Whereas Feeling in a Jungian sense is more concerned with a higher level refined judgment.

You should have provided proper definitions of the terms before discussing the difference between them and their possible outcomes.

"The challenge is therefore to figure out where the notion of everyday feeling fits into Jungian typology if it can’t squarely be grouped under Feeling. In truth, while “everyday feeling” does have some overlaps with Jungian Feeling, the two are distinct, and Jungian typology doesn’t say much about the nature of everyday feeling."

Before we misunderstand each other, kindly provide the definitions. Thank you. wink
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 9:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ymodulus, please comment, you're free to.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2014
MizMyColi:

Mature responses are welcome.
Please let's not inundate the thread with denigrative comments.
Thanks in anticipation of our cooperation.

Okay, I featured on abeautifulchick's thread and I saw diverse characters, I was amazed and scared too.

Then I remembered this entry I made in my diary (The Quoted).

I thought to share, in the hope that it'll give regulars in this section and the general public, some insight as to why both genders reason the way they do.

TBH I can't identify with either processing style.

It would make sense to assert that I'm sitting on the spectrum of both processing styles i.e thinking and feeling.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by MizMyColi(f): 10:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
AirborneLacer:

TBH I can't identify with either processing style.

It would make sense to assert that I'm sitting on the spectrum of both processing styles i.e thinking and feeling.

Yes Hun, you are.
You're Ambiverted.

Don't ask me how I know. grin

1 Like

Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Dygeasy(m): 2:54am On Oct 16, 2014
Na wa o
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by itstpia1: 3:28am On Oct 16, 2014
Must have taken a long time to put all that together.

Or not.
Re: The Thinking & Feeling Function - How They Impact Our Relationships. by Nobody: 5:27am On Oct 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

Yes Hun, you are.
You're Ambiverted.

Don't ask me how I know. grin

Hehe

How'd you come about that? You be psychic? cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Advice / Is The Basketball Game An Impediment Or An Asset To Black Youths? / If Your Wife Is Unfaithful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.