Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,715 members, 7,955,688 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:53 PM

Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today (37022 Views)

Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today / NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs / Health Workers Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Chykechin(f): 11:55am On Oct 16, 2014
So Medical Doctors are not part of this 'health' workers strike

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by onyxo76(m): 11:57am On Oct 16, 2014
GlorifiedTunde:

And this is the reason their graduate children and grandchildren don't have an employment angry
thank you, wetin 70 year grandpa wan dey do ward again...?

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 16, 2014
donodion:
I really wont blame most ppl saying wht pleases them at health workers.

When nurses/ midwives wont be available to handle your bed care or deliveries or post/ ante natal care..you will beam your anger at those ruling you.

When lab technologists seal of their offices and lock up records....shey your corrupt govt would be taking your specimen samples for biopsies and re-agent confirmation.

When the radiologists lock up and shut down machines...your corrupt councillors and MD would take over and be taking x-rays for displaced or broken bones....

You just do not understand the importance of health care workers in a country...without them...all your wealth and money means nada...one outbreak is all it takes....just one.

Anyway...strike in govt sick health sector means more money coming the way of private clinics and their staffs.
But you fail to realise that what comes around goes around. If we get an outbreak in this country...say ebola.
Do you think health workers wont get a share of the cake? It will start with their loved ones, their family, their friends and evetually they themselves!! We are in this together! Its either they help preserve the lives of Nigerians or watch us all die away as a nation...including them

2 Likes

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by deletrue: 12:02pm On Oct 16, 2014
Freest:
For what Are they high
They should do their jobs jor!! Didn't they sign oath of bla bla bla? They are people that should even work for charitable reasons not financial gratification being the utmost priority. Government should simply privatize the health sector sef, lets hear word finally then we know who is who...

Yipeeee!!!
First to comment... I dedicate this space to all my unborn children
Using this medium to say:
Ladies and gentlemen, beware of BUHARI... He has no good thought for NIGERIA

You know what? I dey only blame February, 2015 wey he no dey come quick. But let us pray to God to keep us alive and pray that the elections will come peacefully as against some evil apc members and allow GEJ swearing in. Whether na NPA, health, NNPC just name them, GEJ will privatise all of these and their confused workers. I know him too well, that will be his first step. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by thorpido(m): 12:04pm On Oct 16, 2014
Cmanforall:

Everything boils down to money. I think there's a selfish interest here. Anytime they embarking on a strike action, they must compare with Drs.

Like someone said, work may still go on in hospitals. But the fact is whenever they are on strike, they lockup all the patient's folders; Remove fuse box, so power supply to the wards are interrupted. They sometimes go to the extent of switching off the Generator and locking the Gen house.
All these their actions is not reflective of the strike, rather it is an act of wickedness.
Doctors can treat patients if they'll just go on holiday('strike') without altering other things as usual.
If afta prescribing drugs for the patient, you write it out, they'll buyfrom pharmacy stores, usually around the hospital.
If its investigations, Drs in the laboratory medicine will do that. If its one that can't be done, specimens will be sent to outside lab.
So I think their extended act to frustrate the doctors work whenever they are embarking on a strike action is condemnable.
I'm not supporting the strike but why do you think people who go on strike should allow their work to go on?It's the essence of the strike.It simply means each section on strike will not offer services and it is the only way to make the strike effective.I don't agree it is wickedness.

2 Likes

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Dammyllionaire(m): 12:09pm On Oct 16, 2014
ziccoit:
Ok, health workers not Doctors. Important work can still go on in our hospitals.

See this mumu, do you think that hospital can function with only doctors? Can they work alone? Other workers can still work without doctors but doctors can never work without other workers. Who will do the test? Who will give a patient the require first aid? Who will give out drugs and other medications even for surgery?

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by niggereyez(f): 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2014
ozo13:
dat is if dey don't hide d patient folders grin grin grin
... or worse still lock up all the instruments. .. simple things like syringes, hand gloves, swabs, .. etc go become scarce commodity.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by donodion(m): 12:14pm On Oct 16, 2014
mobolaji88:

But you fail to realise that what comes around goes around. If we get an outbreak in this country...say ebola.
Do you think health workers wont get a share of the cake? It will start with their loved ones, their family, their friends and evetually they themselves!! We are in this together! Its either they help preserve the lives of Nigerians or watch us all die away as a nation...including them

Sweerie,you made a point..however...if theres an outbreak and this care givers have access to the treatment and with their skills and knowledge in preventive medicine (a humongous task in Nigeria- malaria/ cholera are good examples) they will protect their own...Its the ignorant masses that would suffer worse.

No sane government undermines health sector...just as defense,finance,agriculture and technology sectors.

3 Likes

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Eyona(m): 12:18pm On Oct 16, 2014
I don't know how u will react to this piece!
Graduates of pharmacy do internship for 1 year after 5 yrs of study. Same holds for med. lab. scientists, nutritionists, physiotherapists and radiologists BUT graduates of nursing science are denied such privilege in the same health team.
To me is surprising but dat is the reality as of now.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Eyona(m): 12:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
Graduates of pharmacy do internship for 1 year after 5 yrs of study. Same holds for med. lab. scientists, nutritionists, physiotherapists, doctors, and radiologists BUT graduates of nursing science are denied such privilege in the same health team.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by DrGabbi(m): 12:26pm On Oct 16, 2014
There's no strike where I'm working here in Kano. If there's strike, it's not a strong one. I expect JOHESU to have learnt a thing or two from NMA strike.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by DrGabbi(m): 12:27pm On Oct 16, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
Eyona:
Graduates of pharmacy do internship for 1 year after 5 yrs of study. Same holds for med. lab. scientists, nutritionists, physiotherapists, doctors, and radiologists BUT graduates of nursing science are denied such privilege in the same health team.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by chookudi(m): 12:38pm On Oct 16, 2014
This topic is somewhat misleading..JOHESU IS NOT on strike yet..Those threatening to strike are members of NUAHP (National union of allied health professionals) which i think is a sub-organisation under JOHESU and infact JOHESU and AHPA have advised its members to disregard the planned strike. I'm sure a visit to the government hospitals will convince you
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by THUNDER4real(m): 12:40pm On Oct 16, 2014
Hope the strike last, so dat the impact can be felt..
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by elobyobi: 12:48pm On Oct 16, 2014
pembisco:

can we please drop this differences for once? haba its becoming stale. lets all join hands and address the problems in the health sector rather than egoistic attitude. tenks

Ehn, but sha u gree say dem go lock am abi?
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 16, 2014
donodion:

oh pls man....which too many hospitals? And is there a single public health centre in the country people dont part with their earnings with for services?? despite the disgraceful services been rendered??...one doctor to 200 patients a day...besides docs still look forward to part time PP.

The health sector is. underfunded, uncatrered for and inadequately staffed. They would use the money in budget for their personal estacodes and overseas medical treatment.That's the cold truth.

Useless lots in government.

I do agree with you...but the fact is if we eliminate corruption, we would still have a big funding deficit.

Take the Ebola crisis, for instance. We got lucky because our public health people were sharp and on top of the situation from day one. If we had had an epidemic like that of Liberia....far more people would have died...all because we do not have enough proper isolation unites, or even a single Level 4 lab to test for ebola(and there are two of those labs in the whole of Africa and none of them are in Nigeria), as well as high grade hazmat suits (not the ones you see on TV...something like this

And speaking as a doctor, our hospitals need more equipment and stuff...and all that costs money.

Increase funding yes...but in the long run, we may have to make our teaching hospitals public-private for a start.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Eminentsaint(m): 1:09pm On Oct 16, 2014
Freest:
For what Are they high
They should do their jobs jor!! Didn't they sign oath of bla bla bla? They are people that should even work for charitable reasons not financial gratification being the utmost priority. Government should simply privatize the health sector sef, lets hear word finally then we know who is who...

Yipeeee!!!
First to comment... I dedicate this space to all my unborn children
Using this medium to say:
Ladies and gentlemen, beware of BUHARI... He has no good thought for NIGERIA

If they privatize the health care sector, will you be able to buy panadol at an affordable price?
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 16, 2014
undecided
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 16, 2014
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by gabicon: 1:15pm On Oct 16, 2014
We need to define the modalities in which institutions in this country work by else we keep on moving in circles and expect a different result. The problem of all industrial actions in Nigeria narrows down to money, doctors feel they should be paid better other health worker believe they should get same remuneration as doctor do. The fact is the pharmacist doesn't want the consultant office merely because of the name but because of the financial benefits attached to the office. We need a redefinition of our salary scale structure not just in the health sector but across all sector everyone needs to get a sizable chunk of the pie.

I will suggest an increase in the minimum wage and a taxation system which increases with how much u earn just like the British tax system. We need to achieve to some extent some money flow balance.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Samgreguc(m): 1:16pm On Oct 16, 2014
Is there anything I everly hate about civil servant's strike action? Yes, the fact that there is always a victim and is there one thing am having two thoughts about? YES, that retirement age increment because, employment comes when some retires.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by CuteMaro(m): 1:27pm On Oct 16, 2014
[quote author=frustratedman post=27186046]E NO GO BETTER FOR GOD WICKED THING THAT MADE ME LOOSE ALL I HAD[/quote
Shuo
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Nobody: 1:31pm On Oct 16, 2014
Freest:
For what Are they high

As I once told someone....you would not want the health sector to be privatized...because the chaps who would benefit would be the same heath workers you despise(they would get increased salaries, and promotions)....while you Nigerians pay markedly high prices for health care.

Of course...we may have to do some form of privatization....since we no longer have the money to run every hospital...from primary to tertiary properly.

1 Like

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Chuks16(m): 1:43pm On Oct 16, 2014
ok
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by armadeo(m): 1:52pm On Oct 16, 2014
Inefficient strike. Not felt anywhere. PS who are these peeps sef?
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by justfree1(m): 2:20pm On Oct 16, 2014
Two super powerful money making tips from Darren Hardy -Bestselling Author // Publisher of SUCCESS Magazine. Whatever it would cost you don't miss reading it! http:///1CpSxe4
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by BraniacX(m): 2:26pm On Oct 16, 2014
pachuete:
health workers and their inferiority complex issues............ if they needed more they should have studied for more and not trying to enforce their will on people............I just hope gej will slap them with d same addendum he slapped d NMA's with....den there eye go open.........foolish ingrates

"if they needed more money they should have studied more? " seriously? U're one stupid dumbass! U're probably a Nigerian trained doctor or a medical student in one of our universities. Seriously, how much more daft can you be? U puff your chest up and prance around like peacocks seeking to do one over and/or lord over other health staff with your inadequate medical training, idiots! Have you ever pondered over the fact that the medical syllabus with which you were trained is substandard and archaic and doesn't follow current international best practices? Have you ever asked yourself why both doctors and other health workers have mutual respect for one another in western and developed countries? Have YOU really asked yourself why Nigerians who can afford it will rather fly to india for routine medical proceedures? Have u considered the fact that only the poor who have no other option go to Nigerian doctors? No! so far as u can boss your nurse and rubbish their recomendations in front of patients even when they have decades of experience over you, you are a doctor. . . .fool!. I thought patient care and saving lives was your prime and most important calling, i guess it's being the so called boss that made you study medicine. I don't blame you and your likes totally anyway, i blame our Nigerian society for ignorantly putting your proffesion on a too high a pedestal without holding you to account even when your gross incompetence cost lives.
Your induction or socrates oath should be or should have gone like this "i solemnly swear to do no harm to my pocket, i solemnly swear to show the nurses that doctors are not their mates, i solemnly swear that my salary would be the biggest, i solemnly swear say them go hear am for my hand ........" should i go on? Better go abroad and discover just how substandard your training is and re-educate yourself from the scratch both academically, pratically and mentally fools.

2 Likes

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by benjichuks(m): 2:26pm On Oct 16, 2014
donodion:
I really wont blame most ppl saying wht pleases them at health workers.

When nurses/ midwives wont be available to handle your bed care or deliveries or post/ ante natal care..you will beam your anger at those ruling you.

When lab technologists seal of their offices and lock up records....shey your corrupt govt would be taking your specimen samples for biopsies and re-agent confirmation.

When the radiologists lock up and shut down machines...your corrupt councillors and MD would take over and be taking x-rays for displaced or broken bones....

You just do not understand the importance of health care workers in a country...without them...all your wealth and money means nada...one outbreak is all it takes....just one.

Anyway...strike in govt sick health sector means more money coming the way of private clinics and their staffs.

Why will the lab technologist lock up the lab? Or the Radiographers lock up and shut down the machines? Or to seal up the records? Are all these their FATHER'S PROPERTY? They should just go on strike and leave all the equipments jare so the Doctors can work! Abi did Doctors lock anywhere when they went on strike?

2 Likes

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by donodion(m): 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2014
bushdoc9919:

I do agree with you...but the fact is if we eliminate corruption, we would still have a big funding deficit.

Take the Ebola crisis, for instance. We got lucky because our public health people were sharp and on top of the situation from day one. If we had had an epidemic like that of Liberia....far more people would have died...all because we do not have enough proper isolation unites, or even a single Level 4 lab to test for ebola(and there are two of those labs in the whole of Africa and none of them are in Nigeria), as well as high grade hazmat suits (not the ones you see on TV...something like this

And speaking as a doctor, our hospitals need more equipment and stuff...and all that costs money.

Increase funding yes...but in the long run, we may have to make our teaching hospitals public-private for a start.
Precisely doc...look at most public health centres...inadequate funding,motivational allowances like hazard allowance,overtime,etc are either irregular or owed in areas.....and those bastards in govetnment careless.....primary health care centres if properly funded,managed and mobilized would ease thw burden on state owned hospitals.
The morgues and mortuaries....eish...another story....for the population of such magnitude...I beg to differ that we have sufficient health clinics cos of some carefree, self serving worthless individuals in critical positions.

Are you aware that UCH, the biggest teaching hospital in West Africa as claimed, and as big as it is...for a common endoscopy...max of 4 patients could be attended to in a day and that's even stretching it. And the gastroentrologist must have you booked for months in advance.

Ebola was curbed and curtailed in Lagos bordering on two major facts: Sheer humanity on the part of health officials who took massive risks and the monetary motivation,which payments were even delayed or paid incomplete.
Reports stated PPE which were meant to be use and discard had to be re- use over and over cos materials were not coming as they should.

its sickening bro..really....for an oil producing country....its sickening.
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Pamcrest(f): 2:28pm On Oct 16, 2014
Why don't we as a pple and govt regard our health sector as a very crucial aspect of our national life? Health is wealth but both are concentrated in d hands of few Nigerians while majority languish! Visit our "hospitals" n weep.
Methinks both d health workers and govt itself are insensitive.....can't they find middle ground n resolve issues speedily so our pple stop dying needlessly cry
My humble submission
Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Iceg(m): 2:38pm On Oct 16, 2014
BraniacX:

"if they needed more money they should have studied more? " seriously? U're one stupid dumbass! U're probably a Nigerian trained doctor or a medical student in one of our universities. Seriously, how much more daft can you be? U puff your chest up and prance around like peacocks seeking to do one over and/or lord over other health staff with your inadequate medical training, idiots! Have you ever pondered over the fact that the medical syllabus with which you were trained is substandard and archaic and doesn't follow current international best practices? Have you ever asked yourself why both doctors and other health workers have mutual respect for one another in western and developed countries? Have YOU really asked yourself why Nigerians who can afford it will rather fly to india for routine medical proceedures? Have u considered the fact that only the poor who have no other option go to Nigerian doctors? No! so far as u can boss your nurse and rubbish their recomendations in front of patients even when they have decades of experience over you, you are a doctor. . . .fool!. I thought patient care and saving lives was your prime and most important calling, i guess it's being the so called boss that made you study medicine. I don't blame you and your likes totally anyway, i blame our Nigerian society for ignorantly putting your proffesion on a too high a pedestal without holding you to account even when your gross incompetence cost lives.
Your induction or socrates oath should be or should have gone like this "i solemnly swear to do no harm to my pocket, i solemnly swear to show the nurses that doctors are not their mates, i solemnly swear that my salary would be the biggest, i solemnly swear say them go hear am for my hand ........" should i go on? Better go abroad and discover just how substandard your training is and re-educate yourself from the scratch both academically, pratically and mentally fools.

you speak with so much bitterness....were you denied admission to study medicine.

5 Likes

Re: Health Workers Begin Indefinite Strike Today by Onegai(f): 2:39pm On Oct 16, 2014
Freest:
For what Are they high
[/b]

Did you pay their schoolfees for them, that they should work free? What was your contribution, and don't you dare say Medical health is for charity, people need to eat, why are farmers not dashing food out for free, based on your logic?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing / Ebola: Don’t Accept Victims, Lagos Urges TB Joshua / Nigerian Tests Negative For Coronavirus After First Testing Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.