Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa (2361 Views)

Nigerian Army Ranks 5th On List Of Worst Armies In The World / Images: Three Most Backward And Poorly Governed Nigerian States / Nigeria Airports Made The List Of Worst Airports In Africa 2013 (see Review) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by NgeneUkwenu(f): 4:47am On Oct 16, 2014
Nigeria has been rated one of the worst governed countries in Africa based on the 2014 Ibrahim Index of African Governance [IIAG], which was released on Monday.
In the report, obtained by PREMIUM TIMES, Nigeria is rated 45.8 per cent lower than the African average (51.5 per cent) and ranked 37th out of 52 in the overall governance scale.

The country scored lower than the regional average for West Africa which stands at 52.2 percent and ranked 12th out of 15 in the region.
While Nigeria got the damning rating by the IIAG, Mauritius is adjudged the best governed country in Africa, with 81.7 per cent, followed by Cape Verde, with 76.6 percent.
IIAG is sponsored by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation, MIF, a non-grant making organisation committed to defining, assessing and enhancing governance and leadership in Africa.
It presents annual assessments of the quality of governance in African countries. It also provides the framework for citizens, governments, institutions and the private sector to assess accurately the delivery of public goods and services, and policy outcomes, across the continent.

Other countries that made it to the top of the list included Botswana which is rated the third best governed country in the continent with 76.2 percent and South Africa which comes fourth with 73.3 percent.
Ghana is rated 7th; Rwanda 11th; Benin Republic 18th; Egypt 26th; Mali 28th; Niger, 29th; Liberia; 31st; Cameroun 34th and Togo 36th; all ahead of far more endowed Nigeria.
With a population of 173.6 million and population growth rate pegged at 2.8 percent, Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product, GDP, is put at $3013.3 USD, while inflation and unemployment rates stand at 8.5 percent and 13.7 percent, respectively.

Nigeria also received appalling ratings in such categories such as safety and the rule of law where it is rated 44th with 38.1 per cent, 32nd in the rule of law with 41.0 percent and 30th in accountability with 36.6 percent.
The country got its lowest rating in personal safety where it is ranked 49th with 16.5 per cent and second lowest in national security where it is ranked 48th with 58.2 per cent.
Under participation and human rights, the country is rated 26th with 46.9 per cent, 31th on sustainable economic opportunity with 43.3 per cent and 34th in human development with 53.0 per cent.

The Founder and Chair, Mo Ibrahim Foundation, Mo Ibrahim said the 2014 IIAG has revealed discrepancies in governance performance between countries and within the four conceptual categories.
“More than ever, these discrepancies call for an Afro-realist approach, which tempers historical Afro-pessimism and current Afro-optimism,” Mr. Ibrahim said.

To have a true grasp of African realities, he argued that one must reject the “one-size-fits-all” attitude, which he said, reduces the continent geographically or governance conceptually, in favour of a more granular approach.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/168873-nigeria-one-of-africas-worst-governed-countries-mo-ibrahim-governance-index.html

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by NgeneUkwenu(f): 4:49am On Oct 16, 2014
undecided
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by braine(m): 5:20am On Oct 16, 2014
They'll wake up soon and start blaming APC for this.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 5:43am On Oct 16, 2014
That's wat you get when you're progressing people throw mud at you. So they mean to tell me south africa where any form of protesters are shot on site (48 protesters killed in one day) wch is also the rape capital of the world followed by India is better than nigeria? You mean Cameroon that have nothing, absolutely nothing is better than nigeria (don't argue with me on this cos av been to Cameroon.

Laughable listing...nigeria is giant of African and no ignorant attempt to smear her name will work

#iamnigerianandproud

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by talkintruth: 5:48am On Oct 16, 2014
Why are you people like this? just because you want to get power you don't care whose ox is gored.
Nigerians have destroyed Nigeria with their mouths because we never appreciate what we have. Whoever wrote this is not informed. Those who have travelled across Africa are will testify and thank God for Nigeria. though we have our challenges.
The major problem with Nigerians is that we talk down our country and even praise lesser country just to drive home our point. All those hungry for power today have served Nigeria in one capacity or the other. From Buhari to Obasanjo, Atiku, Tinubu, Kwakwanso, Saraki, Hell Rufai e.t.c The question is what happened when they were there? Just because its not business as usual, they criticise the country and her government without any meaningful contribution or suggestion. But look at those those I can somewhat call fresh blood the likes of Fashola, GEJ, fayemi e.t.c see transformation.
l am almost given up on Nigeria because God can't save us anymore. Nigerians don't love Nigeria so who will God use to rescue us. if God raises someone today, the old cargoes will use gullible Nigerians to destroy them.
The problem of Nigeria is not the Leaders but WE NIGERIANS-THE FOLLOWERS

NIGERIA-THE COUNTRY EVERYBODY (INCLUDING NIGERIANS) LOVE TO HATE

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 5:49am On Oct 16, 2014
@ngene, how do you do this. Do you go around the Internet searching for "bad news from nigeria"? Why do you keep posting heartless, ignorant posts of your country, if you don't like nigeria anymore, abeg waka comot nah..person no force you dey here ooo.

You that want buhari to be president, I hope you know when buhari was president; if you talk bad about nigeria, you get beaten and jailed for being "enemy of the state" according to the decree? I hope you know if you insulted buhari back then,you get arrest and beaten? Ask your parents what it was like being governed by buhari. You can't even rush into a bus back den, you stand in line and if you break the line, you get beaten and jailed. Buhari declared a war on indiscipline siting that it is nigeria's problem

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 5:56am On Oct 16, 2014
liberty300:
That's wat you get when you're progressing people throw mud at you. So they mean to tell me south africa where any form of protesters are shot on site (48 protesters killed in one day) wch is also the rape capital of the world followed by India is better than nigeria? You mean Cameroon that have nothing, absolutely nothing is better than nigeria (don't argue with me on this cos av been to Cameroon.

Laughable listing...nigeria is giant of African and no ignorant attempt to smear her name will work

#iamnigerianandproud

Are you for real? How many protests does South AFRICA have in a month? And how many times where people mowed down? How can you use a once off occurance as the norm? Was that particular incident not metted with condemnation and still is under a commission to bring perpetrators to book. If Nigeria had the number and types of protests South AFRICA does, how many people do you think would be killed?

By the way, who exactly did the research that tagged SA as the molest capital of the world? How was it compiled and which countries were insolved in the survey. Mseeewwww!

south Africa is a true democratic country, even Nigerians legal or illegal hold protests here every other month while I doubt they would do the same in Nigeria. Why are they not mowed down? South AFRICA has a working security, judicial and legislative system that does not relentl in ensuring that the rule of law is fully & fairly exercised

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 16, 2014
BluIvy:

Are you for real? How many protests does South AFRICA have in a month? And how many times where people mowed down? How can you use a once off occurance as the norm? Was that particular incident not metted with condemnation and still is under a commission to bring perpetrators to book. If Nigeria had the number and types of protests South AFRICA does, how many people do you think would be killed?

By the way, who exactly did the research that tagged SA as the molest capital of the world? How was it compiled and which countries were insolved in the survey. Mseeewwww!

south Africa is a true democratic country, even Nigerians legal or illegal hold protests here every other month while I doubt they would do the same in Nigeria. Why are they not mowed down? South AFRICA has a working security, judicial and legislative system that does not relentl in ensuring that the rule of law is fully & fairly exercised

People are free to protest in Nigeria so shut up.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 6:18am On Oct 16, 2014
Cowards spreading falsehood since the days of John Kennedy .

Now tell me were the following countries are on your list:

Central African Republic -CAR

Sudan
Mali
Ghana (we are annexing that country as the 37th state of Nigeria after the elections next year, not by force though cos they will beg us to do so)
Cameroon
Togo
Chad( the boko haram head quarter)
Burundi
Bukina faso etc

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by naturally: 6:20am On Oct 16, 2014
One day one day e go better
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:32am On Oct 16, 2014
liberty300:
@ngene, how do you do this. Do you go around the Internet searching for "bad news from nigeria"? Why do you keep posting heartless, ignorant posts of your country, if you don't like nigeria anymore, abeg waka comot nah..person no force you dey here ooo.

You that want buhari to be president, I hope you know when buhari was president; if you talk bad about nigeria, you get beaten and jailed for being "enemy of the state" according to the decree? I hope you know if you insulted buhari back then,you get arrest and beaten? Ask your parents what it was like being governed by buhari. You can't even rush into a bus back den, you stand in line and if you break the line, you get beaten and jailed. Buhari declared a war on indiscipline siting that it is nigeria's problem

So Miss Ngene has become Ibrahim Index? Why do you people always blame everybody but but your clueless master who brought us to this dire situation we are dangerous in? Mumu people!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by AzontoGhost(m): 7:06am On Oct 16, 2014
aguiyi:

Now tell me were is the following countries are in your list:

Sudan
Mali
Ghana (we are annexing that country as the 37th state of the the elections next year, not by force though cos they will beg us to do so)
Cameroon
Togo
Burundi
Bukina faso etc
typical Nigerian mentality. why must it Always be PhD?
Lolx

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by luvinhubby(m): 7:10am On Oct 16, 2014
liberty300:

#iamnigerianandproud
Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by RockMaxi: 7:38am On Oct 16, 2014
This people have forgotten that Nigeria is an heterogeneous country with a known function of defying most economic principles.
Governance and leadership are the worst nightmares of every Nigerian. The opportunistic tendencies of our leaders make them to see governance as a tool for self serving rather than people serving.
Leadership that is meant to bring changes is the number one enemy of the change. embarassed
We really don't need a Mo Ibrahim to tell us about this, we all know and can feel the impact of people who really have no business in governance controlling the affairs of government and that has been the order of the day well before this present administration. angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Mogidi: 7:43am On Oct 16, 2014
liberty300:

Self hate is evident in most of his post.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by major466(m): 7:51am On Oct 16, 2014
liberty300:

#iamnigerianandproud
As for me when I saw the name Egypt, the ratings became even more Rediculous. Their list is dead on arrival. Let them find someone else to fool.
#TeamProudNigerian

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by cocoduck: 7:56am On Oct 16, 2014
RockMaxi:
This people have forgotten that Nigeria is an heterogeneous country with a known function of defying most economic principles.
Governance and leadership are the worst nightmares of every Nigerian. The opportunistic tendencies of our leaders make them to see governance as a tool for self serving rather than people serving.
Leadership that is meant to bring changes is the number one enemy of the change. embarassed
We really don't need a Mo Ibrahim to tell us about this, we all know and can feel the impact of people who really have no business in governance controlling the affairs of government and that has been the order of the day well before this present administration. angry

Rubbish
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by lilprinze: 8:31am On Oct 16, 2014
I refuse to believe this stup1d list until we are ranked above Libya, Egypt, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sudan and Senegal.
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by RockMaxi: 8:31am On Oct 16, 2014
cocoduck:

Rubbish

lameduck or what do you say you are, if you still need help it is not too late to seek for.

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 16, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:
Nigeria has been rated one of the worst governed countries in Africa based on the 2014 Ibrahim Index of African

Other countries that made it to the top of the list included Botswana which is rated the third best governed country in the continent with 76.2 percent and South Africa which comes fourth with 73.3 percent.
Ghana is rated 7th; Rwanda 11th; Benin Republic 18th; Egypt 26th; Mali 28th; Niger, 29th; Liberia; 31st; Cameroun 34th and Togo 36th; all ahead of far more endowed Nigeria.
With a population of 173.6 million and population growth rate pegged at 2.8 percent, Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product, GDP, is put at $3013.3 USD, while inflation and unemployment rates stand at 8.5 percent and 13.7 percent, respectively.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/168873-nigeria-one-of-africas-worst-governed-countries-mo-ibrahim-governance-index.html

@ Emboldened:Ghana whose economy has gone down the drain been ranked above 9ja?Yeye dy smell,fake news,its high time APC stopped this nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by OgologoDimkpa: 9:32am On Oct 16, 2014
Another APshit sponsored thread angry

You guys keep on embarrassing your country and yourselves
thinking you're ridiculing GEJ.

We shall see.
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by WIZGUY69(m): 9:49am On Oct 16, 2014
cry [size=48] Dont worry op. buhari is Here to set things right. sai buhari[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:28am On Oct 16, 2014
Reading the ignorant mugus on this thread and their hare-brained fake patriotism perfectly illustrates the mantra: "people deserve the leaders they get". Failure of leadership isn't the main reason Nigeria is a rotten, decayed cesspit that everyone laughs at. Because this failure of leadership is a product of a failed people and a failed system. The rubbish I've read here is the reason the country will remain a laughing stock before the international community for the forseeable future while our fake patriotic idiots keep beating their chests as the imaginary "giant of Africa".

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by OKDnigeria: 11:21am On Oct 16, 2014
We need to ask, what was Nigeria's rating before now? if we're to judge dis administration fairly we have to compare d situation of d country now and before d administration took over.

people easily forget that Nigeria used to take 1st or 2nd position in d list of d most corrupt countries in d world. in governance, human rights, rule of law etc, we used to be at d lowest level whether in Africa or in d whole world.

we are not yet at d top where we're supposed to be but things have been getting better. For d first time in a long while, positive things are being said about Nigeria. I don't want it to stop so I'll keep supporting dis administration. and that's why I will support GEJ to win d coming election.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 16, 2014
ROSSIKE:

People are free to protest in Nigeria so shut up.

You are being dummb if you did not comprehend my response to the above or childish with your emotional outburst that are bare of sense or truth. So you shut the fvck up. And in all honesty who would camper Nigeria to South Africa in their right minds? There's no comparisons. Period!"
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 16, 2014
BluIvy:

C'mon stop lying to yourself.
SA is the crime and molestation capital of the world.
That is a fact supported by many credible organisations from the UN, IMF and even the CIA fact file.
Even the southafricans can't deny it, let alone a botswanese.
Btw, i hope you know that most of the victims of south-african xenophobia are from the same sub-region like zambians, zimbabweans, congolese and even people from botswana.
The angolans are the most respected of the lot for obvious reasons.
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by AzontoGhost(m): 7:47pm On Oct 16, 2014
mikeson12:

@ Emboldened:Ghana whose economy has gone down the drain been ranked above 9ja?Yeye dy smell,fake news,its high time APC stopped this nonsense!
You hate Ghana with passion!!!
cheesycheesy
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by buzzmania(m): 9:06pm On Oct 16, 2014
aguiyi:

Now tell me were the following countries are on your list:

Sudan
Mali
Ghana (we are annexing that country as the 37th state of Nigeria after the elections next year, not by force though cos they will beg us to do so)
Cameroon
Togo
Burundi
Bukina faso etc
Hahaha!What a loose talker.Your useless sh!thole cant even annex sambisa and save your ugly girls from bokoharam.
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 16, 2014
AzontoGhost:

You hate Ghana with passion!!!
cheesycheesy

lol,I was only trying to point out the truth cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Yello1(m): 10:38pm On Oct 16, 2014
bad peopl always rating naija bad,either gud or bad naija na my country and i like am as he dey so,make everybody paddle dem canoe
Re: Nigeria Rated One Of Worst Governed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 16, 2014
BluIvy:

remind me Miss South African-wannabe, how many protests does Nigeria have in a month and how many people get mowed down?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: The Next Lagos State Governor Confirmed (must Read) / PHOTOS: Nigerian Christian Migrant, Adeola Ibrahim Reportedly Kidnapped By ISIS / Gov. Nyesom Wike's Media Aide Resigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.