Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola (2568 Views)

Remaining Possessions Of Tafawa Balewa At His Tomb. Photos / Osinbajo,Ambode And Adeboye At Tafewa Balewa Square Today For Excel 2015(pics / Fashola - Ambobe Handing Over: Tafawa Balewa Square Tastefully Decorated (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Ayekotoo(m): 10:01pm On Oct 18, 2014
AGAINST claims that the Federal Government has sold the historic Tafawa Balewa Square, located in Lagos Island, the Lagos State governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola has refuted such claims, while describing it as spurious.
The governor, who made the clarification at
the City Hall, Lagos, venue of the Public
presentation a historic book on Lagos, ‘Possession- A History of Law and Justice In The Crown Colony of Lagos; 1861 – 1906’, authored by former Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice of the State, Mr. Olasupo Shasore (SAN), said because of ignorance of the history of Lagos, most people make spurious assumptions and statements that offend the sensibility of Lagosians such as the one by the Federal Government saying it has sold the Tafawa Balewa Square. Describing those, who say they have sold the
Tafawa Balewa Square as wallowing in absolute ignorance, Fashola declared that the Square “can never be sold”, pointing out that the place used to be part of the land that belonged to the King of Lagos, who was a ‘Sovereign’ before the conquest and possession of Lagos by the British.

“It became a Crown Land administered by the
British Crown and at the end of the Colonial
Era, it passed on to the Federal Republic of
Nigeria and when Lagos was created as one of
the first 12 states of the country in 1967, it
became State Land and all of the lands the
Federal Republic of Nigeria inherited from the
Government of the United Kingdom were
handed over to each of the states in which
those lands were and Tafawa Balewa Square
then metamorphosed from Race Course to
Tafawa Balewa Square,” he said.

Fashola maintained that the only legislation
that presently exists is the Tafawa Balewa
Square Management Act by which the Federal
Government was given managerial power as
caretaker or agent and not owner of the
Tafawa Balewa Square.
He added that the dearth of records as well
as lack of documentation of historical events
in the country have impacted negatively on
upcoming generations who know little or
nothing of their origin or learn of historical
events in their country from foreign
institutions.

The governor praised Mr. Shasore for the
painstaking devotion with which he wrote the
book saying, “unlike many history books
where only the very subjective accounts of the
historian is what we have to deal with, Supo
has tried, perhaps inescapably, to remain a
lawyer, supporting every position he has taken
in the book by facts, evidence, documents and
judicially certified documents”.
According to Fashola, one of the most
important facts the book has established is the
sovereignty of Lagos before the coming of the
British and the subsequent possession and
conquest of Lagos adding that although more
races including African, Asians and Arabs now
occupy the streets of London than the
Englishman, there were original Londoners
before those people came.
He said what has happened in London has
also happened in Lagos where some hitherto
rural villages have become a highly urbanized,
commercial and multi-ethnic centre, adding,
“Nothing is wrong with that because, perhaps,
in another 500 years this place will not be like
this”.
On how Lagos has grown into a mega-city of
multi-ethnic and highly urbanized and
commercial centre, Fashola said it started in
the 1970s when Nigerians from many ethnic
groups were streaming to Lagos to see such
landmark development and infrastructure like
the National Theatre, the National Stadium,
Eko Bridge and others adding that as people
came, they began to settle and buy property
and acquire Rights of Residency.
The governor described the recent Centenary
celebration by the federal Government as “a
great disservice to the spirit of nationalism,
the sacrifice and the labour of men like Chief
Obafemi Awolowo, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, Ernest
Ikoli, Hubert Macaulay and all of those who
said it was enough”, adding, “I think those
who celebrated that centenary do our people
a great injustice”.

http://www.theguardianmobile.com/readNewsItem1.php?nid=34863
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Ayekotoo(m): 10:09pm On Oct 18, 2014
One thing people fail to understand is that Africa and many other nations except USA are Tribal/native lands unlike USA which is the only Immigrant nation in the world.

3 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Nobody: 10:10pm On Oct 18, 2014
FG selling their papa since 1914.

Make dem no try am o! Obasanjo almost sold Nigeria all in the name of privatization. I hope such won't happen again.

9 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 18, 2014
JonaTAN selling our commonwealth to highest bidders since 2009 grin

6 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Arch1: 10:59pm On Oct 18, 2014
I'l buy the book

1 Like

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by WIZGUY69(m): 11:32pm On Oct 18, 2014
[size=24]we just have to be patient. in 4 months time. mr. jona will go back to where he comes from[/size]

15 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Johnnyessence(m): 11:52pm On Oct 18, 2014
yes soo We just av to be patient ooo Gej is voted out next ur election.
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by helphelp: 11:55pm On Oct 18, 2014
Source or this won't make front page
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Ezyp(m): 2:04am On Oct 19, 2014
I like these people...they always look for one ceremony/occasion to talk-fight each other but when they meet each other they will shake/ hug themselves, eat on same plate...AND LAUGH AT THEIR E-DIOT SUPPORTERS AS THEY E-FIGHT THEMSELVES

1 Like

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by oduastates: 3:31am On Oct 19, 2014
All lands in yorubaland are vested in the sovereigns;
The Kings .
The kingdoms of odua shall rise again to form the federating unit of a new odua nation.

Nigeria will surely end one day.

3 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Omimah: 3:45am On Oct 19, 2014
There is one thing you just can't take away from Fashola, his intelligence that cut across politics, history, law, administration, etc. He is what Sanusi is to economy.
@Topic: I feel the FG should realize that an edifice like the Tafawa Balewa Square is significant to our history as a nation. Why should any attempt be made at selling. If the FG feels it can't maintain it, it should hand it over to the Lagos State Government.
Each time I pass through historical buildings like the TBS, the National Museum, the Old Parliament Building, the National Theatre, Federal Secretariat, etc in Lagos and see their deplorable state, I weep for Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by sekzy99(m): 3:54am On Oct 19, 2014
Na una sabi
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by vicadex07(m): 4:38am On Oct 19, 2014
Jona shey na your papa land If na otouke now, you fit go sell the whole village, infact all of Bayelsa join. Abeg no carry your drunken stupour come Lagos o.

2 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Walphem(m): 6:02am On Oct 19, 2014
If TBS is sold today, Eagle's square will follow in due time...and Aso Rock will be auction in a short-while; therefore, they would have sold the whole of Nigeria.Eku ise oooo
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by dridowu: 6:10am On Oct 19, 2014
If the FG is not ready to maintain it, they should hand it over to LASG and if LASG fails also to maintain , then they should privatize it ASAP.
GOOD MORNING NIGERIANS

2 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by ayobase(m): 6:57am On Oct 19, 2014
Ezyp:
I like these people...they always look for one ceremony/occasion to talk-fight each other but when they meet each other they will shake/ hug themselves, eat on same plate...AND LAUGH AT THEIR E-DIOT SUPPORTERS AS THEY E-FIGHT THEMSELVES

u need to know how these guys relate off record.

they write the best script. ..... Nollywood needs to start consulting.

dont be surprised if they have made arrangement against 2015 election.

they act, we watch.

1 Like

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by southsouthman: 6:57am On Oct 19, 2014
Omimah:
There is one thing you just can't take away from Fashola, his intelligence that cut across politics, history, law, administration, etc. He is what Sanusi is to economy.
@Topic: I feel the FG should realize that an edifice like the Tafawa Balewa Square is significant to our history as a nation. Why should any attempt be made at selling. If the FG feels it can't maintain it, it should hand it over to the Lagos State Government.
Each time I pass through historical buildings like the TBS, the National Museum, the Old Parliament Building, the National Theatre, Federal Secretariat, etc in Lagos and see their deplorable state, I weep for Nigeria.

Your intelligent man is gradually turning to motor park tout always insulting and instigating people,yet you cannot deduce that something is gone wrong with our one time gentle, loved, and intelligent gov. Has Tinubu so infested Fashola with Agbero so much so that we can no longer differential when a governor is talking. He should always remember that GEJ won't be the last President of Nigeria. I am so disappointed because I once advocated for Fashola Presidency in the future.
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by nku5: 6:59am On Oct 19, 2014
No wonder despite Obj's craze he couldn't touch TBS. I thank God he didn't succeed in selling National Theatre too. 1004 estate still dey pain me
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by ayobase(m): 7:00am On Oct 19, 2014
dridowu:
If the FG is not ready to maintain it, they should hand it over to LASG and if LASG fails also to maintain , then they should privatize it ASAP.
GOOD MORNING NIGERIANS

enlighten Berem pls.
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by ayobase(m): 7:04am On Oct 19, 2014
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Omimah: 7:04am On Oct 19, 2014
southsouthman:

Your intelligent man is gradually turning to motor park tout always insulting and instigating people,yet you cannot deduce that something is gone wrong with our one time gentle, loved, and intelligent gov. Has Tinubu so infested Fashola with Agbero so much so that we can no longer differential when a governor is talking. He should always remember that GEJ won't be the last President of Nigeria. I am so disappointed because I once advocated for Fashola Presidency in the future.
Make I hear word.

3 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by ayobase(m): 7:05am On Oct 19, 2014
Omimah:

who should be held responsible for the deplorable state?

You weep for Nigeria or Lagos state?

Pls, enlighten me.
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by gtrust: 7:07am On Oct 19, 2014
Ayekotoo:
One thing people fail to understand is that Africa and many other nations except USA are Tribal/native lands unlike USA which is the only Immigrant nation in the world.

USA is originally owned by Native Red Indians
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Omimah: 7:11am On Oct 19, 2014
ayobase:

who should be held responsible for the deplorable state?
The FG. If they can't they should hand them over to the LASG who are even willing to pay for them. Sometimes last year the LASG threatened to take the FG to court if it didn't give it the benefit of first refusal on the National Theatre which was being rumoured to have been sold.
Please, does it make sense to sell the TBS where the Union Jack was lowered for the last time, the Nigerian flag hoisted for the first time and the instruments of independence handed down between 30 September and 1 October 1960?

2 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Exjoker(m): 7:28am On Oct 19, 2014
Is privatisation the best to revive Nigeria economy
Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 19, 2014
southsouthman:

LOL. Your problem with fashola is that he speaks the truth? Mehn fashola is acres ahead of Jona.... In everythin

2 Likes

Re: FG Cannot Sell Tafawa Balewa Square In Lagos, Says Fashola by fr3do(m): 8:18am On Oct 19, 2014
This man and his separationist tendencies.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Asari: Amaechi Betrayed Saro-wiwa & ND With His Pro-gambari APC Rally Speech / Men Should Have Sex Slaves, Says Female Kuwaiti Politician. / Breaking News..gen. Buhari Made A Bold Political Statement!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.