Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Social Network And The 2015 Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Social Network And The 2015 Election (1406 Views)

2015 Election Shift May Return Military Rule - Ex-Generals / 2015 Election Debate/Town Hall Meeting, APC Not Represented! / Don't Contest 2015 Election- Prophet Warns Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Social Network And The 2015 Election by OAM(m): 7:48pm On Oct 19, 2014
Have you been tweeting about the 2015 election? If so, you’re part of the 15 percent of Nigerian adults who uses social media to discuss politics. So how is all of these online political activity affecting the 2015 presidential elections? let me reminds us that 2011 was called the “social media election”, with over 1.1 million tweets sent on election day… and that now, in Ekiti election, over 1.3 million tweets was sent every twenty minutes.

In Nigeria, young voters ages 18 to 34 make up 65% of the voting population. And over the past several election cycles, youth voting has been on the rise. Last Ekiti's last election showed a higher percentage of young-aged voters going to the polls to elect their next Governor than in any previous election.
Many campaign workers believes that the use of social media has played a significant role in enticing the young demographic to go to the polls. With the constant postings of political jargon, photos, and comments, political operatives from both parties are looking for the best way to hold the young voter’s attention.

For the 2015 election, it will be a daunting task for political consultants to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to constantly changing popular social media sites. If they don’t, they could easily appear “lame” or “out of touch”

It shouldn't be difficult to predict what social media monitoring and data mining will look like for the 2015 election and beyond. Just consider where we, as individuals, are already getting most of our information. We probably check Twitter first thing in the morning to see what news is breaking. Then maybe we log onto Facebook and other social media to see what our friends and trusted acquaintances are commenting on. And of course, we’re doing most of this on our smartphones or tablets.

I hear people say social media doesn't win an election, i also hear that social media is over hyped in-respect to an election, what a dumb assumption it is. Social Media is actually a real game changer during elections particularly given the viral nature of real time information available on social media channels. The era of using touts to influence an election are gone, the knowledge era and digital age has come. The New political party (APC), have seemingly caught on to the power of social media in their electoral campaigning. The APC's Facebook page has received more ‘likes’ or followers than that of any other opposition political parties.

The need for the PDP's to up its social media drive is of utmost importance. Hence its important for the presidency to reignite its social media presence. The APC's are referred as the social media lord in Nigeria, the most savvy political party in Nigeria. And it has given the party a bigger leverage on National issues ahead of the present Government. The APC's Governors has the highest followers on Twitter ahead of all the PDP's Governors. Speaking about how social media has gone against the present Government overtime is a not a new thing, here is the truth; Jonathan's falling out of favour with his social media friends is as a result of his Special Adviser's inability to engage the youth properly. Social media as a platform is not partisan, you don't need to be proud on social media cause the platform doesn't care about your position or what you earn. It would be shocking to know that PDP'S social media presence took a new dimension immediately Fani Kayode joined the PDP. And i believe he is lecturing Okupe, Abati and the Omonikri the need to humble and engage on social media.

The growing presence and popularity of political parties and various political figures on social media is evidence that political parties are “approaching and speaking to the youth of Nigeria on their level”. what impact will a social media following have on the outcome of the election? Is it possible that followers will translate into votes? some doesn't think so. “A couple of millions people in the context of about 130 million adults is really a drop in the ocean”. However, I advise political parties to make use of social media to engage with voters and using this alternative public sphere to make campaigns more effective and using social a youth-targeted campaign to encourage Nigerians to vote in ways it never has before.

I call the 2015 election “voting for a personality” and social media is the map to Aso Rock. All candidates deserves the spot but, the difference is how you convince the 21 percent on social media.

We can achieve a violence free election and i ask you to join me in getting the best of election ever.

email if you want to get me involved with your initiative
browngift007@gmail.com
Re: Social Network And The 2015 Election by YungwizzzyChina: 7:52pm On Oct 19, 2014
OAM:

Have you been tweeting about the 2015 election? If so, you’re part of the 15 percent of Nigerian adults who uses social media to discuss politics. So how is all of these online political activity affecting the 2015 presidential elections? let me reminds us that 2011 was called the “social media election”, with over 1.1 million tweets sent on election day… and that now, in Ekiti election, over 1.3 million tweets was sent every twenty minutes.

In Nigeria, young voters ages 18 to 34 make up 65% of the voting population. And over the past several election cycles, youth voting has been on the rise. Last Ekiti's last election showed a higher percentage of young-aged voters going to the polls to elect their next Governor than in any previous election.
Many campaign workers believes that the use of social media has played a significant role in enticing the young demographic to go to the polls. With the constant postings of political jargon, photos, and comments, political operatives from both parties are looking for the best way to hold the young voter’s attention.

For the 2015 election, it will be a daunting task for political consultants to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to constantly changing popular social media sites. If they don’t, they could easily appear “lame” or “out of touch”

It shouldn't be difficult to predict what social media monitoring and data mining will look like for the 2015 election and beyond. Just consider where we, as individuals, are already getting most of our information. We probably check Twitter first thing in the morning to see what news is breaking. Then maybe we log onto Facebook and other social media to see what our friends and trusted acquaintances are commenting on. And of course, we’re doing most of this on our smartphones or tablets.

I hear people say social media doesn't win an election, i also hear that social media is over hyped in-respect to an election, what a dumb assumption it is. Social Media is actually a real game changer during elections particularly given the viral nature of real time information available on social media channels. The era of using touts to influence an election are gone, the knowledge era and digital age has come. The New political party (APC), have seemingly caught on to the power of social media in their electoral campaigning. The APC's Facebook page has received more ‘likes’ or followers than that of any other opposition political parties.

The need for the PDP's to up its social media drive is of utmost importance. Hence its important for the presidency to reignite its social media presence. The APC's are referred as the social media lord in Nigeria, the most savvy political party in Nigeria. And it has given the party a bigger leverage on National issues ahead of the present Government. The APC's Governors has the highest followers on Twitter ahead of all the PDP's Governors. Speaking about how social media has gone against the present Government overtime is a not a new thing, here is the truth; Jonathan's falling out of favour with his social media friends is as a result of his Special Adviser's inability to engage the youth properly. Social media as a platform is not partisan, you don't need to be proud on social media cause the platform doesn't care about your position or what you earn. It would be shocking to know that PDP'S social media presence took a new dimension immediately Fani Kayode joined the PDP. And i believe he is lecturing Okupe, Abati and the Omonikri the need to humble and engage on social media.

The growing presence and popularity of political parties and various political figures on social media is evidence that political parties are “approaching and speaking to the youth of Nigeria on their level”. what impact will a social media following have on the outcome of the election? Is it possible that followers will translate into votes? some doesn't think so. “A couple of millions people in the context of about 130 million adults is really a drop in the ocean”. However, I advise political parties to make use of social media to engage with voters and using this alternative public sphere to make campaigns more effective and using social a youth-targeted campaign to encourage Nigerians to vote in ways it never has before.

I call the 2015 election “voting for a personality” and social media is the map to Aso Rock. All candidates deserves the spot but, the difference is how you convince the 21 percent on social media.

We can achieve a violence free election and i ask you to join me in getting the best of election ever.

email if you want to get me involved with your initiative
browngift007@gmail.com

k

(1) (Reply)

All Igbos Should Go To Hell - Apc's Junaid Mohammed / Stop Celebrating Boko Haram Attacks To Prove Jonathan’s Incompetence –nelson / I Will Sue APC For My Permanent Voter's Card If...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.