Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,747 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly - TV/Movies (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (76057 Views)

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading / Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 23, 2014
kgr28:

It makes sense now?
dudeee, do you even read my post before replying :|
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 7:55pm On Oct 23, 2014
OAAC:
dudeee, do you even read my post before replying :|

?
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 23, 2014
kgr28:

?
lool.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2014
OAAC:
lool.

?
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 23, 2014
kgr28:

?
lol you've not grown yet bud....always using stupidd symbols and images when you run out of ideas, as exit strategies though. Aint doing this shiii. Im done
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 23, 2014
See some "Lowest Prices you can trust" peeps attacking me here immediately I mentioned shoprite. They don't want the govt to clamp down on their Photo studio where they take photographs with a shopping basket with only a can of coke and meatpie which is N82 and N60 respectively. Yeye dey smell! grin
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 8:29pm On Oct 23, 2014
OAAC:
lol you've not grown yet bud....always using stupidd symbols and images when you run out of ideas, as exit strategies though. Aint doing this shiii. Im done

I didnt know you were doing shiit in the first place. Any-way bye-bye-bye Jimmy.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 8:29pm On Oct 23, 2014
OAAC:

I didnt know you were doing shiit in the first place. Any-way bye-bye-bye papa
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Chykechin(f): 8:35pm On Oct 23, 2014
cool

1 Share

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by IYANGBALI: 8:35pm On Oct 23, 2014
valleygirl:
The bill will soon die. Dstv will send PR expert to them and they will look the other way like NBC is presently doing. Election is coming, politicians need PR.
[s]Seun or Mod too will not send this to the front page bc this may affect the advert they get from Dstv.[/s] Just guessing!!
Edited
well said
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by charlesditro: 8:42pm On Oct 23, 2014
firstolalekan:
Nice development.
*modified *
Let's wait and see how long it will take before any bill is passed and implemented. When it comes to making laws that will benefit the common man, we know how our reps and senators behave.
But, it didn't take them anytime to approve the borrowing of ONE BILLION DOLLARS proposed by the clown to FIGHT the bokohaRAMS that they're currently negotiating PEACE with.
Meanwhile, I don't see DSTV doing any monopoly here. Our own indigenous providers too are very greedy!
How much is Dasat subscription?
How much is Startimes subscription?
How much is Hitv subscription?
all this service providers are way cheaper dan dstv and most of the reality TV shows and making sense station are exclusive to dstv, what sense are u trying to make from this nonsense. Be positive blood.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 23, 2014
kgr28:

I didnt know you were doing shiit in the first place. Any-way bye-bye-bye papa
<< dummmie
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by firstolalekan(m): 9:00pm On Oct 23, 2014
charlesditro:
all this service providers are way cheaper dan dstv and most of the reality TV shows and making sense station are exclusive to dstv, what sense are u trying to make from this nonsense. Be positive blood.
You must be a morôn
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 9:09pm On Oct 23, 2014
OAAC:
<< dummmie

Mampara
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 23, 2014
kgr28:

Mampara
speak english, psycho!
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 9:22pm On Oct 23, 2014
OAAC:
speak english, psycho!

Odolo...
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by stanisbaratheon: 9:38pm On Oct 23, 2014
khukhi:

gringringrin finally resolved! Maths was never my strong point lol! I really wanted to answer but couldn't risk embarrassing myself.

hehehehehe
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 9:43pm On Oct 23, 2014
kgr28:

Odolo...
stop quoting me, blooody gay!
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 9:51pm On Oct 23, 2014
OAAC:
stop quoting me, blooody gay!

Oww now am gay...who be you now TRANSSEXUAL?
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by drediamond(m): 9:54pm On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

[b]First of all, Let me say I am highly flattered by your compliments.. Thanks a lot! **Pressing my big head down before it bursts or I start to float** grin

**This response is going to be hard and long.... ** Here it goes;

Well to do?! **Dear Jesus, I claim it in Jesus Name...... Amen** grin Thanks for the hailing.. You don hail me pass hail Mary for just this one post.. grin

Okay.. That said, this is not about being well to do or not. Unfortunately, the world isnt an Ideal place. Every service or product in the business world is divided along class & quality and the control factor for these are the PRICE. I will for the heck of it throw a couple of examples out there;

Airline:: You can Buy an Arik Ticket for 11,000 Naira that gets you cramped and uncomfortable seat close to the back (near the toilet) with one small shared armrest, a small over used toilet, a small plastic cup of water or cheapass juice and a thoughtlessly baked pastry... OR.. You can pay 45'k for bigger seats, wider armrest, a hostess at your beck and call, an reserved toilet, hot food served to you on a tray, as much drinks as you would like for the duration of the flight and a much more comfortable flight.

Now you would think that those who are flying Business class have it good, but it gets better.. For a little more money, you can get on a private chatter flight and enjoy Onboard entertainment (movies, music and news), sleeper seats, a full service bar, Attendants at your beck and call, faster check and check out, special treatment and exclusive pampering..

Even this can get a whole lot better.. Chatter a Custom G6 Jet.. grin

Electronics:: You have a Samsung TV, I have a Samsung, the next guy has a Samsung, e.t.c.. Even though we have the same brand of devices, yours is the smart Tv, mine is the Super Smart TV, the Next guy has the Genius TV.. Whereas the other guy can off his TV from the office, watch his TV on his phone inside the toilet, watch 3D movies and all, ours cant.. But then, these are not even the pinnacle of Televisions.. I saw a Bang and Olufsen television in a friend’s house and was like WOW!!! The price of that TV?! #Foggerabout.. shocked

In phone technology, I just realized that the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 sold by Samsung Niigeria in Nigeria and Africa is of a lesser quality than the variant sold in the U.S and U.K market in terms of some content. Example: The Note 3 sold by Samsung here is the N-900 version, which does not come with 4G and some other internal specs.. The N-9005 is whats sold in teh UK and is of a higher spec than the N-900.. Its unfair but if they sent you the N-9005 you would have to pay N-9005 money.

Infact, I could keep going.. Name one comodity/service in this life that does not have varying levels.. Almost NONE!! The reason is because the better it gets, the more money it costs the provider. In the U.K, matches are not shown live on cable TV because it discourages people from going to the stadium. For you to get a match live in the UK, you buy it like Pay-Per-View on your cable.

Its hypocritical of us to go after DSTV for the premium package price. Its called 'PREMIUM' for a reason. They have graded their services like the Hotels grade their rooms (from executive to standard), like Airlines grade their seats (First class - Business - Economy), Cars (Custom - Limited edition - full option regular - basic opition regular), Phones (Vertu - Porshe - Samsungs/iphones/Blackberries - Tecno - Sagem/talkabout) grin , Houses (from detached - semi-detached - face-me I face you), Generator (from Industrial - iPassMyNeighbour), Restaurants (from Southern Sun/Chinese restaurant - Mamput), Same way even water is graded from (Spring - Still - treated - 'pure-water') grin, Same way Food is graded from (Orishishi - 'Madam put 200 Naira rice with no stew or meat’).. grin .. Same product, different variants, different packages, varying prices..

Nothing is free in Freetown my friend.

I would love to drive in a full option brand New Range Sport Supercharged for the price of a Kia Picanto... grin (I hope you are laughing at this wish). grin Even amongst the Kia Picanto owners, their is still levels.. Its called 'OPTIONS'..
Do you want Manual or auto?!
Do you want Cassette or CD or Aux or a combination of all?!
Leather Seat or fabric?! 4 cyclinder or 6?
Sunroof or none?!
Tinted glass or transparent?!
Alloy rims or Wheel cover?
Normal dash or Nav screen?
Sirius XM Satellite radio or FM/AM alone?
Onboard Assistance or not?
Power Windows or Manual?
Chrome grill or plastic?

Every Commodity in life comes with options.. All these options come with a price..

You spoke about MTN.. grin Let me take you on that;

When MTN came into Nigeria, there were 3 Telecoms companies in Play then and all offering Mobile Telecoms services: MTN, ECONET and NITEL.. Before MTN and ECONET, the cost of getting a CDMA mobile phone on Nitel was reserved for the 'Well to do'. grin When Econet and MTN joined in, the system changed (not by telling Nitel to reduce their prices), but by the new companies offering better services than Nitel for way way less than Nitel.. Even at 35 thousand for a Sim (without Phone), it was still cheaper and better than NITELs cellphone. Naturally, even those who owned the Nitel migrated to MTN. Then amongst the 2 remaining competitors, MTN's sim was still pricier then because whilst ECONET was still in Lagos, MTN had reached Port Harcour and Warri faster. And remember that calling across networks were expensive then, so people naturally started buying more MTN than Econet..

Now one of the things that drove the price of services down was not necessarily competition alone, but also the cost of doing business reduced for most of them as they built their own exchanges and did no longer have to use Nitels overpriced and outdated equipments.. Thats when MTN built the Yellow Band project.

Now even amongst the Phone matter sef, options dey;

MTN trutalk
MTN SmoothTalk
MTN Smoothtalk Plus
MTN Zone
MTN free night call
Post-paid
Corporate.

etc.. All carry different content and the more the content, the higher the cost.. Same with Etisalat, same with Glo.. Even with the competition amongst themselves, they still will never give you 1gb data for 1 Naira, nor would Etisalat offer MTN's premium package for cheap.. Max you would see is for a few cents less than MTN. grin

I am not happy at the demise of HITV. It profits me nothing to see either company do better than the other or fail. I am a consumer and if the deal is better and well priced, I would migrate to that end.. HITV sadly didn’t get it right the first time.. Anybody coming into the market has DSTV to compete with. Unfortunately, they came late and unlike many Nigerian companies, DSTV is very forward thinking and innovative. They know they are the best and yet keep trying to outdo themselves. Maybe of a company had started with DSTV as far back as the 90's when they were not as big and as grounded, it would have been easier to break into the market.. But any company coming in now should not try to compete with DSTV but rather create their own market from scratch and stay out of DSTv's lane..

DSTV has earned their status as Kings of Cable TV in Africa.

So please forgive me if you see me supporting the DSTV business.. I am not coming from a 'well to do' perspective, I am coming from a purely business perspective and nothing else. It’s like Dangote trying to enter the cubed sugar game by getting the Federal government to force St. Louis to reduce their price.

If you use the 'Poverty Level' reason to push for the prices of DSTV to be reduced, then its only fair that we go after ALL SERVICES.. Car prices, Hotel Prices, Airline Tickets, e.t.c.. Sadly, the Science of Economics can never allow for that.

Thanks for reading this long epistle.. cool

[/b]

I have been following your objective and logical view to this topic,that's greatly commendable
This just show how unrealistic our Reps can be.Dstv monopolly goes beyong pricing or sort..its so about the content.I am privilege to follow Dstv way back since 2000 and I can tell u that Multichoice has strategically monopolised content from foriegn stations and they own exclusive africa rights to majority foreign stations that matters and if you have to knw the legal battle between Dstv and Hitv before the could get some few free to air stations and sort like Nageo, nickooledeon,BBC WorldNews,BET and MTVbase

Dstv were so smart that they went ahead to get exclusive signings with major movie distribution companies like Sony,Viacom,Universal and the rest.these acts make difficult for new start up companies to compete cos Multichoice already had not only south africa cable rights for for the whole of africa
Majority of these stations like BBC which include entertainment,lifestyle and ceebies cartoon unit,Sky,travel,Nageo and its sisters stations and a lot of them already maintainn a special contract and relationship which multichoice has used to fend off competition.

I agree that to maintain a quality cable business that multichoice has upheld is not cheap which must come at a great priceand that nigerian cable Tvs are not encouraging cos the quality is below par. So the monopoly here is not about the price at all but is my decentralizing rights which will make other cas compete and this feat might seems imposibble but its now left for nigerians cables Tvs to come up with the task and only if they can.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 23, 2014
kgr28:

Oww now am gay...who be you now TRANSSEXUAL?
Fvck you! Bye biitch
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 10:01pm On Oct 23, 2014
OAAC:
Fvck you! Bye biitch

'Deuces' BIATCH
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Komex(m): 10:14pm On Oct 23, 2014
Just Imagine this Conversation.

Akpos goes to switch on Dstv.

Okon: Please don't touch my DSTV, I have only 500mb remaining and I want to used it to watch champions league finals. Leave the TV come let's play WHOTS
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Mosesnwa(m): 10:52pm On Oct 23, 2014
Buy your mtn 1 gigabyte at the prize of 1200.it works on anroid phone,pc,and nokia phones of all types.we also sell 50o megabyte at the prize of 700.we hav etisalat and glo.we transfer the megabyte direct to ur phone.immediately u pay into our account.or send us the worth inform of recharge card.u kan call us on:07030540872.we are always available to serve u eficiently
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Tex42(m): 10:53pm On Oct 23, 2014
finally our reps are not thinking of life pension for their already over-flowing pockets.

Nice motion,and coming from a woman,i think it is applaudable.

but the woman stingy sha o! she don calculate how much Dstv dey bolo from her na hin she say the house must hear'am. lol!
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kevinbey(m): 11:56pm On Oct 23, 2014
most fellows I know get DSTV simply for football and sports uninterrupted and most of the indigenous companies attempting satellite TV are usually having broadcast problems like say I dey watch Delta Rainbow television. I would hate to have that when Manchester is playing Chelsea the thing go com off. abeg leave DSTV alone till they re reliable

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by 14(m): 11:56pm On Oct 23, 2014
jteku:
I pray we trash this DSTV out of this country to warn south Africa we are not their play mate, I pray this bill passes 2nd reading, so that Jacob Zuma's and his big head south africans learn a lesson.

By so doing, in your mind you will have more investors in nigeria, or you will be chasing investors away, economy crumble, nigerians suffer

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by 14(m): 12:56am On Oct 24, 2014
ChukwuCantDie:

South Africa - World murder capital
South Africa - World r4pe capital
South Africa - World child r4pe capital
South Africa - World AIDS capital
South Africa - World's most unequal society(whites earn 7 times more than the blacks) So dont talk about your GDP, you st.u.pid 1di0t.
South Africa - World theft capital
South Africa - Home to more gang members than the rest of Africa combined
South Africa - Highest crime rate in Africa
South Africa - Home to the only gay pride parade in Africa
South Africa - Home to the worlds dumbest people.(World Economic Forum) yearly rankings, Go Google that yourself.)

And we are not complaining, and Nigerians still fight for SA VISA in Lagos and Abuja, So why would they want to the worst place in the world. Go to SA embassy in Abuja and Lagos, see how packed it is, people scrambling for SA VISA.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by fesjoe: 1:27am On Oct 24, 2014
Stop complaining, DSTV no force una to use der service nw.........
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by lordtheo2014(m): 3:55am On Oct 24, 2014
Hmmn....our leaders who believe so much in bribes made these foreign companies to use us(CITIZENS) as dey like in the name of subscription dstv for instance.....maybe dey just discovered that their subscription is now bigger than d bribe collected....NIGERIA, GET WEL SOON.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 5:02am On Oct 24, 2014
Nigerians boast much about...Nothing.
Okay South Africa.Yeah.Crime,Aids Capital of the World.
Yet South Africa produces 45,000 MW of power.Nigeria barely 3000MW.
78% of S.A are on the Electricity grid
Nigeria has 130 million people in peramanent darkness and the other 70 million have less power than Somali refugees at Kenya's Dadaab refugee camp.
South Africa is an Industrial power and a member of BRICS.
Has Nigeria been invited to a similar Bloc??
Healthwise:Nigeria still has polio. and a higher infant mortality rate than war torn South Sudan.
Oh.If South Africa is so bad,why do Nigerians flee to S.A and not vice versa
And why do South African brands dominate in NigeriaAnd none in S.A??
Am not South African btw.Am Kenyan.We have our own stable generator free power supply,No Polio and our own brands!!! Safaricom Nakumatt and Uchumi are all Kenyan!!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

NTA Presenter Applies Makeup Live On Air (Photos) / Bbnaija: 2face Idibia Supports Kiddwaya / The Gardener's Daughter: TV Soap Opera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.