Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,230 members, 7,829,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (76146 Views)

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading / Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 23, 2014
Plus if Dstv dey tear pocket use got v. Or just buy LG satellite tv.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Germeeu: 9:06am On Oct 23, 2014
tolustx:
Getting the rights to show live matches too is d issue. We all rememba wat happened wen HiTv was in d market. They tried to remove dat monopoly but dstv was too strong.
here port harcourt their are some cable tvs that are showing live football match like metro digital and CLT. Metro is currently operating in some state like abuja,port,abia,enugu and kano. Dstv is blocking them 2 enter lagos. #STOPTHEMONOPLY
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by duni04(m): 9:08am On Oct 23, 2014
Same way toyin subair got the then minister of Information, and his best friend, frank nweke jn, to unfairly withdraw multichoices' right to EPL matches and give to hitv. Thank God karma came back to bite hitv in the ass. M sure one of the members of the house of reps, or their sponsors or cronies, is about to enter the cable market hence this obnoxious bill.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by iaatmguy(m): 9:10am On Oct 23, 2014
tumababa:
I was expectng this after south africa seized our money. I pray they seize more so dat mtn too will follow!
Baddddddddtguy. u took the words outta,my mouth
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by emmanuel4758(m): 9:11am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:
Nigerians are their own worst Enemy

Good Move people say.. I laugh.

Has anybody bothered to ask why DSTV is the King of African Satellite Television?! The answer is simple;

1.Innovation.. Lets look back to when the cable satellite game started in ernest in Nigeria. It was DSTV with that Giant Dish that takes almost 3 days to install and Multi-cipher (or something like that). Multicipher didnt blow up because they didnt have as much programmes and content as DSTV. In the period between when the cable game started and now, DSTV has gone from through about 3 sizes of Dish each better than the next. DSTV has gone through many evolutions in the cable box, from the standard single view box, to the dual view to the HD PVR box to the Explora box presently and you and I know that it wouldnt take more than 4 years for the next best thing from DSTV to drop.

They simply dont stop thinking up ways to improve on their product and brand name.

2. Programme Content. Whereas all other Cable companies just steal free-to-air stations like Star Movies, Star World, Trace, CNN, Al-Jezerra, Cartoon Network and co from Arab and Indian satellites, DSTV actually owns the right to their content. Meaning, they invested in actually developing programme content. SO they get the rights to air the stations from the original owners and then modify it for their purpose before putting it out. Thats why even the MTV base from DSTV varies with that from the Arabs.

HITV came in and thought the bane of DSTV's monopoly was their Football broadcast rights.. grin So they plotted a hostile takeover by paying way too darn much for the broadcast license, limiting DSTV to just 1 or 2 matches. What they forgot was that DSTV was more than soccer. Soccer was only 3 hours max on certain days out of their entire programme schedule. So what do they have to offer on days when the EPL is off? NOTHING.. What about kids programming?! NOTHING... What of the mums that love African Movies and stuff? Nothing.. Thats what killed HITV... They looked only at football.. grin Poor business strategy..

3. Customer Service. When you call their helpline, they answer. They even automated their system with the SMS auto help system. Making it easy to access help even in the middle of the night.

4. Marketing.. DSTV is the King of Programme marketing. At every point in the Calender year, DSTV has atleast 2 key programmes running. Now we have the EPL, Champions League, Carling Cup, X-factor, Idols, Big Brother, Project Fame, **** got talent, e.t.c.. Their is never a time when something isnt on T.V to watch.

5. Quality.. If not for DSTV, Nigerians would not even be able to watch matches being played in Nigeria on T.V. AIT, NTA, SILVERBIRD, e.t.c all dont have the capacity to broadcast local events live and in good picture. Its so shameful. Until DSTV came into the game, Nigerians did not even know what a Nigerian Local League Game looked like nor the atmosphere of it. DSTV brings you the CAF Nations cup, womens football, Nigerian League, Zambian league, Southafrican league, etc live and in High definition.

Infact, the stations with the worst picture quality on DSTV are all the Nigerian Stations .. grin

Let poverty mentality not eat away our ability to reason well. DSTV is the king because they are just too darn good. If you want quality,, then you have got to pay for it cos it means someone is working hard to bring you the best.

These South Africans know how to do business in Africa. They understand the business clime and strive to be the best. Look at MTN for example. Whislt Econet and Nitel were busy coasting, they were investing billions to take over the market fastest. Today, though they have kind of peaked and their network over packed, they are still number one amongst all only followed by the Arabs (Etisalat).

I love my DSTV cos their is no alternative.. I support the free market system. The day a better company comes, DSTV will no longer be the king.

And just so you know, the price of DSTV subscirption is almost uniform across africa (factoring in exchange rates and clime). Also, premium cable costs money. Those in the UK and the U.S should tell us how much their 'FULL' subscription package on their SKY digiboxes, Bell Tv, Rogers TV, AT&T and co costs..

story for the. gods team#bringitdown or you follow exit door next is mthen
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by MadCow1: 9:12am On Oct 23, 2014
akinsadeez:

The demise of HITV wasn't as a result of how difficult the sattelite game is; it was simply a result of the owner's crass mismanagement. HITV was marketed to subscribers mainly based on their English premiership rights. However due to the rush of customers, they became complacent. They did not improve their picture quality, neither did they make any concrete attempt to draw in the other subscribers who arent interested in football.

When HITV was reigning, DSTV wisely restructured and reorganized their programs. They focused on the women and the kids by introducing more local film channels and also cartoon channels. It created a situation where most people subscribed to HITV for football while subscribing to DSTV at the same time ''because of madam and junior''. This way, DSTV did not lose a lot of customers. When HITV lost their football rights after two years, there was nothing left for them to fall back on and they packed up.
For me, the interesting thing about it then was that when HITV came up, DSTV was forced into a conscious review of their bouquets, the type of which that they hadn't done for years. That is the essence of competition. MTN was selling a Sim Pack for 35000 naira and offering seven days validity on recharge cards before Glo came on board and now sim cards are being sold for 100 naira.
I think the best solution is to have a federal Govt funded Cable Company on the level of DSTV, like NNPC mega stations in the petroleum industry.

[b]So we are on the same page..

Football.. Whoever handled the market research for HITV should be caught and killed.

The Federal Government should stop gettin involved in business. Cable TV is not a right. Its purely business. They should create the atmosphere for competition to thrive. Give concession to new businesses like access to low interest loans, but whatever they do, they shouldnt go fhucking with another mans business.

The lessons to be learnt here goes beyond DSTV but business in general. Nigerian business people are too complacent. Its as if the moment they sort of start cruising in business, they put the business on cruise control and lean back, rather than try to keep flying higher. If DSTV were a Nigerian owned company, they wouldnt be DSTV we know Today. The next thing that would happen soon would be the bundle pack of TV, Phone and Internet.. Most likely a collabo between MTN and Multichoice and that would just bury all competitors flat.

DSTV has raised the Bar high.. Rather than for the government to reduce that bar, they should put in pplace things to facilitate easy access into the business world. Example:: How about they fix power supply?! Or better yet lower the cost of diesel which powers the entire businesses in Nigeria?!

If the house of Reps is serious about combating monopoly, they should look towards Dangote and the Chagouri families (Stallion group).. [/b]

6 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by MadCow1: 9:14am On Oct 23, 2014
emmanuel4758:
story for the. gods team#bringitdown or you follow exit door next is mthen

You cant touch a company like Multichoice..

Cable TV is not part of your constitutional right. The worst the government can do is to open up a cable company. And on that front, I wish them luck. grin

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by ClintonNzedimma(m): 9:16am On Oct 23, 2014
LilPeezy:
It is well wih DSTV....Picture n audio quality so onpoint......why dis mumu ghana multi tv nor won juz updrade sef......all d channels dere r very annoyin n local....Anyway Nice Move Sha
multi tv ghana are annoying and local?...
I dont know if u reason well.
How many channels in Nigeria show u new and latest movies, premier league matches and doesnt even charge u 1 naira.
If not for Multi tv, entertainment would be for those that can afford it.
If its me, i will create channels that show attractive things...in this way i attract alot of viewers and charge any amount for advertisement.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by supremus: 9:20am On Oct 23, 2014
Nigeria should launch her own Cable Tv tot they have satellite. undecided
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by emmanuel4758(m): 9:24am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

You cant touch a company like Multichoice..

Cable TV is not part of your constitutional right. The worst the government can do is to open up a cable company. And on that front, I wish them luck. grin
I don read your comment finish ebe like say you dey earn much money pls consider those who earn less abegi let support the move I no wan hear conspiracy and theory or even poem or poetry and novels for this what we need is #bringitdown weda phcn or not atleast govt dey try to give us stable electricity and my area in anambra state now have 24 hours light so stop blaming govt gej is working jor if our past leaders follow the suit I hope Nigeria would have been like London now but jona don dey correct the mistake let support mass not your selfish gain ....dstv ki mthen ni
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by caprini1: 9:26am On Oct 23, 2014
DSTV is giving good services,why shouldn't they be paid well? Nobody is under obligation to be on Premium bouquet.I love my football and I pay for it.,,,nobody courted me to buy a dstv decoder.Its a choice thing,someone else can be on access bouquet and pay N1500 monthly,and enjoy his or her African magic. People stay at Beer parlours and guzzle tons of beer and isiewu on a daily basis spending thousands of Naira and some neither smoke nor drink.....but spends theirs on DSTV like us. Politicians should let DSTV be and go fix our Electricity,Roads and other infrastructures to be working well ,....most of them don't even pay subscription o...its free for them mtcheeeew!

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by ffo(m): 9:28am On Oct 23, 2014
THANK God for QSAT wink wink wink
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by duni04(m): 9:31am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

[b]So we are on the same page..

Football.. Whoever handled the market research for HITV should be caught and killed.

The Federal Government should stop gettin involved in business. Cable TV is not a right. Its purely business. They should create the atmosphere for competition to thrive. Give concession to new businesses like access to low interest loans, but whatever they do, they shouldnt go fhucking with another mans business.

The lessons to be learnt here goes beyond DSTV but business in general. Nigerian business people are too complacent. Its as if the moment they sort of start cruising in business, they put the business on cruise control and lean back, rather than try to keep flying higher. If DSTV were a Nigerian owned company, they wouldnt be DSTV we know Today. The next thing that would happen soon would be the bundle pack of TV, Phone and Internet.. Most likely a collabo between MTN and Multichoice and that would just bury all competitors flat.

DSTV has raised the Bar high.. Rather than for the government to reduce that bar, they should put in pplace things to facilitate easy access into the business world. Example:: How about they fix power supply?! Or better yet lower the cost of diesel which powers the entire businesses in Nigeria?!

If the house of Reps is serious about combating monopoly, they should look towards Dangote and the Chagouri families (Stallion group).. [/b]
So on point!
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Etizz: 9:34am On Oct 23, 2014
I guess they raised this issue Because it concern them and not for the commoners..... Na now day break dem?? if only I can course them and it will work I will say ""all of them should die for new and sincere ones to come in"" angry mood.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Onegai(f): 9:34am On Oct 23, 2014
akinsadeez:

I think the best solution is to have a federal Govt funded Cable Company on the level of DSTV, like NNPC mega stations in the petroleum industry.

Nahh, NTA is lousy, poor visual and audio quality and very low quality programming. They're just finally going digital, they've been refusing to buy content except for Latin tv dramas. A lot of people are developing content but I don't know if they're planning on offering it to NTA.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by MadCow1: 9:38am On Oct 23, 2014
emmanuel4758:
I don read your comment finish ebe like say you dey earn much money pls consider those who earn less abegi let support the move I no wan hear conspiracy and theory or even poem or poetry and novels for this what we need is #bringitdown weda phcn or not atleast govt dey try to give us stable electricity and my area in anambra state now have 24 hours light so stop blaming govt gej is working jor if our past leaders follow the suit I hope Nigeria would have been like London now but jona don dey correct the mistake let support mass not your selfish gain ....dstv ki mthen ni

[b]I will start from the Bible;

Matt 26: 11 - The poor you will always have with you

Its not about too much money or not.. This is business not Charity.. That London you are talking about, Cable is not free. And this is not a 'Conspiracy Theory' I wonder where that came from, its just simply analysing the situation on Gorund.

I would love it if all the seats on a Plane were like Business Class seats and we all got the same treatment as the Business class flyers do, but sadly, better service = more money. This is Basic Economics 101.

I would like for all Mercedes Benz cars to cost the same as Kias and toyotas, but unfortunately, that kind of luxury and craftsmanship costs a shiitload more money...

I would love it if all my suits were Italian and swiss hand crafted, but that kind of quality does not come cheap..

If you cant afford the Premium package, get the cheaper packages. DSTV is not the only cable satellite company in Nigeria.. Startimes, MetroTV, CMTV, CTL, etc... Why do you have your eyes on DSTV?!! Cos you want the best.. SIMPLE!! grin

Why havent you asked the government to force Coscharis to reduce the cost of Bentleys and Benz's?! grin

[/b]

5 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by mecussey(m): 9:38am On Oct 23, 2014
iyobs7:
It is not difficult, let them start it now, shabi NTA now has their own cable kini, startimes?
We a nigerians think it is easy to maintain the cost of providing services like cable tv that runs for 24hours non stop without any form of constant power or electricity... dstv should leave now, thousands of nigerians will loose their jobs, viewing centre owners will loose money, oh is it startimes that will now show premiership and champions league or maybe big brother africa that I know some nigerians sleep and wake up with?!

Instead of those clueless, selfish men at house of reps to find a way to solve electricity problem, they are busy deceiving the gullible ones... These men even if they have 20 houses, each of them will even have more than one dstv sef...

Nigerians deceiving themselves, what are they representing? They are not even educated sef, how will they know the meaning of feasibility study... You think they are here to provide service for free abi?! It is business and profit is their aim, they wont power their own equipment themselves and still give out services to the detriment of their aim, which is to make profit...

Politicians deceiving gullible ones...

And the gullible ones shouting yes yes nice move nice move and they look down and laugh mumu people...

Good point...Dstv demand should drop if actually the price is high according to Economics otherwise, they have the value for the cost. Nigeria should think of solving our basic problems like electricity, security and road network. Leave private firms to do their business, they are not collecting the money at gun point. Imagine NTA having 1979 picture quality

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by spiceemman(m): 9:41am On Oct 23, 2014
Can they do something to prevent signal loss when it rains?
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Amack(m): 9:41am On Oct 23, 2014
Glo Nigeria offers 3GB per month for N1,000. Just send BBCMonth to 777 and wait for confirmation message. Once confirmed that you are subscribed, you are good to go. Also Upgrade your BB10 to 10.3 and get Amazon store where you can download all android Apps.
I love you all

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by guass(m): 9:43am On Oct 23, 2014
IF THEY ARE HONEST THEY SHUD FACILITATE MAKING OF NIGERIAN LOCAL CHANNELS SUCH AS NTA, AIT, CHANNELS, SILVERBIRD ETC AS KU, FREE TO AIR, FOR ALL NIGERIANS.
LET US START FROM OUR HOUSE.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by trekas: 9:45am On Oct 23, 2014
Please where is my star time? No be me and DSTV
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by emmanuel4758(m): 9:46am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

Its not about too much money or not.. This is business not Charity.. That London you are talking about, Cable is not free. And this is not a 'Conspiracy Theory' I wonder where that came from, its just simply analysing the situation on Gorund.

I would love it if all the seats on a Plane were like Business Class seats and we all got the same treatment as the Business class flyers do, but sadly, better service = more money. This is Basic Economics 101.

I would like for all Mercedes Benz cars to cost the same as Kias and toyotas, but unfortunately, that kind of luxury and craftsmanship costs a shiitload more money...

I would love it if all my suits were Italian and swiss hand crafted, but that kind of quality does not come cheap..

If you cant afford the Premium package, get the cheaper packages. DSTV is not the only cable satellite company in Nigeria.. Startimes, MetroTV, CMTV, CTL, etc... Why do you have your eyes on DSTV?!! Cos you want the best.. SIMPLE!! grin

Why havent you asked the government to force Coscharis to reduce the cost of Bentleys and Benz's?! grin

[/b]
and I will l love it if you could shut up cus some of your analysis will make rep think thieving from masses is not corruption wait what we are asking for is pay as you go or watch ehh Ebe like say your eye no fit see how did people dey suck us nevertheless me dey use strong decoder dey watch my league and EPL till dsthief come back to there senses

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by emmanuel4758(m): 9:47am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

[/b]
also in bible God said threat Jews the same way you threat gentile or vice versa. so in the bible God said exhortation from masses is equally a sin ,
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by LilPeezy(m): 9:49am On Oct 23, 2014
ClintonNzedimma:

multi tv ghana are annoying and local?...
I dont know if u reason well.
How many channels in Nigeria show u new and latest movies, premier league matches and doesnt even charge u 1 naira.
If not for Multi tv, entertainment would be for those that can afford it.
If its me, i will create channels that show attractive things...in this way i attract alot of viewers and charge any amount for advertisement.
Mr man, which multi tv shows premier league....Abi na only replay una dey show....d only channel I enjoy is Joy tv....D rest r jagons n waste....I prefer Startime, Mytv, Gotv to dah ur Local multi Tv.....Accept d fact dah ur Multi tv is local.....I don't pay 1kobo on it cos multi tv is free to air on ma Decoder....I don't even tune to any of ur multi tv channels xpect joy tv which is very annoying sumdays too.....
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by ask4bk(m): 9:52am On Oct 23, 2014
First of all we need decoders that don't take 2 years to booth up or scan. Even Ebola scan doesn't take that long.

All the countries (African) I've been to, as u put it on, voilĂ , u enjoy ur football or show.

Here, it goes off, and before it comes up, 2 goals don enter.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by SuperLoveGiver(m): 9:54am On Oct 23, 2014
Dat will be a very welcome development, especially in a situation wher u subscribe and phcn wil hardly giv u light for up to 6hrs daily. Nna ehn, pay as u watch go mak brain die! I dnt knw wat's wrong wit our regulatory agencies in Nigeria, especially NCC...deir own is even worse. Dey aint doin deir jobs jor.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by ClintonNzedimma(m): 9:54am On Oct 23, 2014
LilPeezy:
Mr man, which multi tv shows premier league....Abi na only replay una dey show....d only channel I enjoy is Joy tv....D rest r jagons n waste....I prefer Startime, Mytv, Gotv to dah ur Local multi Tv.....Accept d fact dah ur Multi tv is local.....I don't pay 1kobo on it cos multi tv is free to air on ma Decoder....I don't even tune to any of ur multi tv channels xpect joy tv which is very annoying sumdays too.....
i dont want to argue with u...
U are personalizing this issue instead at looking at the state of the economy.
Case closed.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 23, 2014
Billyonaire:
I pay N13,800 for premium, and I pay it annually, but the annoying thing is, even though I pay for Premium, I still spend over N5,000 on Box Office to rent movies per month on the Explora Decoder. This is not the worst, the worst is that their customer service number is MTN, and you pay for calling customer service and listening to nonsense music while waiting for a customer service attendant that might not even pick the call, so you end up paying for listening to music and shit......

Hmmm so 13,800 is for the premium package. I'm playing 11,650. What package is that then?? Thought that was premium.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by AZeD1(m): 9:57am On Oct 23, 2014
1) DSTV is not a monopoly
2) Forcing DSTV to bring their prices down will actually make DSTV a monopoly by pushing the likes of Startimes out of the market.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Herrmes: 9:59am On Oct 23, 2014
Not as if DSTV is expensive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Throw Back: Cartoons We Grew Up With / The Gardener's Daughter: TV Soap Opera / What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.