Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,748 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly - TV/Movies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (76057 Views)

Reps Bill To Break Monopoly Of DSTV Passes Through 2nd Reading / Dstv Monopoly Too Costly For Nigerians! / Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by DeeMain(m): 11:43am On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

You cant touch a company like Multichoice..

Cable TV is not part of your constitutional right. The worst the government can do is to open up a cable company. And on that front, I wish them luck. grin

That's not entirely true. Media is a big deal. Cable TV is colonization (culture, religion, moral, values, beliefs, propaganda, agenda, politics) by another means. Any serious government would have checkmated this colonization of Nigeria by SA a long time ago.

Laughing at folks saying it's all business. Hahaha!

Can you imagine this happening in China or America? Another nation taking complete control of your cable tv air waves and space? They know the meaning of Media. Most of us think it's just watching football or movies. Giant of Africa my foot!

It's why most strategic politicians have media (TV and Newspapers/magazines) arms. They understand the game.

PDP is clueless on this score. SMH

#sayNotoSAcolonization

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Whalewale(m): 11:45am On Oct 23, 2014
Best news i have gotten from Nairaland in a long time!!!!... Please lets ensure this Bill gets passed ASAP!!!!!! Yes we know Nigeria is a consumer nation, but the way these foreign companies milk us is alarming!!!!. Next up Julius Berger, Huawie, SPAR, PayPAL, MTN, Aviation companies...etc..

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by killercute16(m): 11:45am On Oct 23, 2014
jahbiz:
Are u speaking Eng or pidgin? No offence, just wan to know.
Lol....i had to read the dude post again and again b4 i could understand.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by kgr28(m): 11:46am On Oct 23, 2014
khukhi:

Sorry if u can't afford it then live without it.

Duh thats my point...
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by WoodcrestMayor(m): 11:47am On Oct 23, 2014
I heard that dstv came to Nigeria initially and wanted to set up here but got fed up wit games govt officials played wit d license ish and left for SA.
So na we for dey enjoy wetin SA dey enjoy now.
haibe:
Best news this morning, I just hate the way dstv exploits Nigerians and pamper south africans, despite the fact that we patronise them a lot. A south African friend once told me how dstv is for a token of which every household can pay for.

Pay as you watch is a good idea jare, why should I pay for what I hardly use (say weekends only). Also their prices must be reduced. If they don't want to, let them pack their load to wherever they came from.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Dee60: 11:53am On Oct 23, 2014
End the corruption in your own 'house' first!
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by vicoloni(m): 11:55am On Oct 23, 2014
GogetterMD:

The monopoly has been just too long. I'd only others could add live football streaming channels, the monopoly would surely be broken

Please do you have consatv customer care contact? If you do kindly send it to my inbox. victoroniyire@yahoo.co.uk.
thanks
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Dee60: 11:57am On Oct 23, 2014
Whalewale:
Best news i have gotten from Nairaland in a long time!!!!... Please lets ensure this Bill gets passed ASAP!!!!!! Yes we know Nigeria is a consumer nation, but the way these foreign companies milk us is alarming!!!!. Next up Julius Berger, Huawie, SPAR, PayPAL, MTN, Aviation companies...etc..

All of these companies have Nigerian Directors! Nigeria is being milked by Nigerians! Don't blame others for our internal woes. The world is a global village, you know. Just as Nigerians can set us businesses in Dubai, USA and South Africa, others must be able to do business here, but not to our detriment. You cant fault foreign companies, but the Nigerian directors who sell us out.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Haryorqunley(m): 12:01pm On Oct 23, 2014
Pay as u view shud b in d system
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by MadCow1: 12:03pm On Oct 23, 2014
DeeMain:

That's not entirely true. Media is a big deal. Cable TV is colonization (culture, religion, moral, values, beliefs, propaganda, agenda, politics) by another means. Any serious government would have checkmated this colonization of Nigeria by SA a long time ago.

Can you imagine this happening in China or America? Another nation taking complete control of your cable tv air waves? They know the meaning of Media. Most of us think it's just watching football or movies. Giant of Africa my foot!

It's why most strategic politicians have media (TV and Newspapers/magazines) arms. They understand the game.

PDP is clueless on this score. SMH

#sayNotoSAcolonization

Now this is a whole nother dimension.. cool

This is not a PDP or APC thing. I wouldnt walk down that street with you..

But the media we are talking about here is entertainment mostly. CNN, BBC, etc are generic and SA has no content there. The Local news on DSTV are mostly from local stations; AIT, STV, NTA and co.. So this media propaganda line dosent quite click with me.. Sorry!

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by fairheven: 12:05pm On Oct 23, 2014
duni04:
Same way toyin subair got the then minister of Information, and his best friend, frank nweke jn, to unfairly withdraw multichoices' right to EPL matches and give to hitv. Thank God karma came back to bite hitv in the ass. M sure one of the members of the house of reps, or their sponsors or cronies, is about to enter the cable market hence this obnoxious bill.
O boy,stop spreading lies,nobody withdrew multi-choice right to the Epl,HITV fully bough the right,and Multichoice were giving fisrt right of refusal,which they cudnt meet,and HITV were able to meet the terms,then after three years or so,HITV were also giving the same right of refusal an they cdnt meet,then Multichoice also met the terms an regained the right...HITV is a case of startin a house from the roof,instead of the foundation...they.borrowed too much from GTbank,to start a business they cdnt Finnish,am sure Tony has learnt the hard way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by MadCow1: 12:06pm On Oct 23, 2014
Haryorqunley:
Pay as u view shud b in d system

How?!

How much should DSTV charge you per second?! grin

How should the charges work?! Per channel/per hour or like Pay-per-view?!

Why not suggest they sell the programs on DVD for 150 Naira in traffic.. grin

Pay-As-You-Go is not applicable to Cable Television because its a different type of commodity from Telephones.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by lozanni(m): 12:06pm On Oct 23, 2014
Its about time too. DSTV's monopoly should be broken so that they can offer more customer friendly services.
My worry for our local Digital satelliate Tv firms is that they might not take advantage of the proposed legislation. They still have a lot to do to put their house in order; I can recall that one of those local companies made so much money through increased subscriber base, after spending so much money on advertisement to create awareness of its platform, instead of the CEO of the said company to plough back much of the profit for future growth and development of the company, he went on a wild spending spree buying cars and houses around the world.
Digital Satelliate Television broadcasting is very capital intensive by nature and so funding is very crucial to compete effectively.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by ugotuf(m): 12:09pm On Oct 23, 2014
This is long over due. They should bring it on fast.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 23, 2014
ayusco85:
and how come they just waking up to reality? who or wat woke them up? this bill is long over due

In the article, it said they saw Kenya do it first. Pass my neighbor things.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 23, 2014
They should also extend it to Shoprite. All the products sold in shoprite is produced, packaged or manufactured only in South Africa. You can never see a made in Nigeria product or if there are any, they are just a handful. Useless South Africans
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by quinnboy: 12:19pm On Oct 23, 2014
WHAT IS DSTV?
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 23, 2014
lawanson44:
They should also extend it to Shoprite. All the products sold in shoprite is produced, packaged or manufactured only in South Africa. You can never see a made in Nigeria product or if there are any, they are just a handful. Useless South Africans

There are hundreds of Nigerian shops and supermarkets that sell Made in Nigeria products.

Patronize them. Don't complain about shoprite.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by MadCow1: 12:21pm On Oct 23, 2014
lawanson44:

I think you mean ABSOLUTELY USELESS NIGERIANS.. grin

You dey hate your neighbour wey dey progress pass you come open store for una street.. grin

South Africa gained independence in the 90's.. Nigeria since 1960.. Yet they run things in the key parts of our economy. Hate them all you want, their game is tight and I cant playa hate..

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by MadCow1: 12:22pm On Oct 23, 2014

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by felifeli: 12:24pm On Oct 23, 2014
I hope one day they will move to end unemployment and poverty. Apparently they are more concerned about their chicken DSTV fees. Mickey Mouse House. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by fairheven: 12:25pm On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

I think you mean ABSOLUTELY USELESS NIGERIANS.. grin

You dey hate your neighbour wey dey progress pass you come open store for una street.. grin

South Africa gained independence in the 90's.. Nigeria since 1960.. Yet they run things in the key parts of our economy. Hate them all you want, their game is tight and I cant playa hate..

How did south Africa gain independence in the 90's,which history book is that one?
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Dee60: 12:26pm On Oct 23, 2014
How do they want to break the monopoly? By government fiat? A country that is daily begging investors to come, now wants to do a summersault!

Any way, that is what Nigeria has been doing since. Somersaulting.

Day 1 - You buy arms because you want to destroy BH.
Day 2 - You vow to destroy BH before end of October.
Day 3 - You announce agreement with BH to stop hostilities.
Day 4 - Fresh bombings
Day 5 - House approves extra 1 billion dollars for war against BH
Day 6 - Government expresses commitment to ceasefire.
Day 7 - War on foreign investors!!!

Day X - PDP announces GE as sole candidate
Day Y - PDP gives ultimatum to GE to announce if he is contesting
Day Z - What next?

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by wo1F(m): 12:26pm On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

You cant touch a company like Multichoice..

Cable TV is not part of your constitutional right. The worst the government can do is to open up a cable company. And on that front, I wish them luck. grin

Madcow you've made very valid points and I always bow to superior arguements even when its at complete variance with my position.

Now like I said, you've made very strong points, but there's no point rubbing it in people's faces. I know you're relatively well to do because I've followed you even from TEHn days, but you have to appreciate that the vast majority of your countrymen are struggling.

For me, it doesn't say much about your wisdom when you posit that its okay for DSTV to charge what they like just becos they bring a lot of content to bear. Was MTN bringing content to bear when they charged 35000 for a Sim in '02? Same Sim that is now been offered for free in the streets of Lagos today.

Also there is nothing to laugh about in HiTV's failure. I for one felt very sad for them. Their one off show put DSTV on their toes and made them open up other bouquets for Nigerians of less social class.

The hostile takeover they did was the best their analyst could do at the time and could have worked had they been bailed out by the FG. If you think any cable TV is just going stroll into the market just like that without doing something aggressive to unruffle DSTV, then you're basic economics is suspect or naïve at best.
HiTV took a gamble. And like any gamble it had a 50% chance of success. Sadly the other 50% happened.

But I'm proud their initial fight saw hundreds of thousands of Nigerian home of less social class granted access to cable television albeit diff suitable bouquet options.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by DeeMain(m): 12:28pm On Oct 23, 2014
MadCow1:

Now this is a whole nother dimension.. cool

This is not a PDP or APC thing. I wouldnt walk down that street with you..

But the media we are talking about here is entertainment mostly. CNN, BBC, etc are generic and SA has no content there. The Local news on DSTV are mostly from local stations; AIT, STV, NTA and co.. So this media propaganda line dosent quite click with me.. Sorry!

I don't give a hoot about party too! It so happens that PDP has been in power for the last 15 years - that's why I called them out.

Now to the main point. Would a serious nation that understands the power of media allow another country such air waves control? Would China, US, Russia, UK, even SA allow it? We do not understand media at all. Programs that champion SA way of life, values and culture, fashion, music, drama, morals, stories, sexuality etc are being bombarded us and you are calling it just entertainment? Really?

Guy, media is a big deal!

Now look at this:

http://businesstech.co.za/news/media/54524/we-cant-continue-with-multichoice-monopoly-minister/

Even in SA, they understand monopoly, exploitation and protecting their citizens.

It is well with my country.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by felifeli: 12:29pm On Oct 23, 2014
lawanson44:

Apparently you don't go to Shoprite at all you foolish man. In the foods section up to 50% products are from Nigeria. In other sections more than 25% . In some sections too up to 20% of the products don't even come from either Nigeria or SA. Go and die. angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by delords2: 12:30pm On Oct 23, 2014
It's quite shocking in a way since DSTV is a south african owned company and the SA system is so down rigid and unfriendly to allow a normal foreign business to flourish at the scale DSTV and MTN are both enjoying in Nigeria, talk more of implementing the blood sucking profit models used in Nigeria by these same companies.

Anyway, it's the problem of our looters who don't know what to do with our stolen money and the legislators who are blind towards the plight of the common man.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 23, 2014
abhosts:
DSTV is not a Monopoly. They are simply the best at what they do and quality comes at a price.

Honestly, these comments on this thread are the most silly & ignorant. The topic says it moves to end DSTV monopoly but when you read the whole thing the monopoly exists because of incompetence & poor offer from other players. How is the monopoly? When DSTV just out class and just stand out from the competition on their product offering?

People on this thread always act as if they do not have a choice not to use SA company products. Who is forcing them to use MTN, DSTV et al South African products? Why does it have to be a diplomatic row when people can just not patronize these SA companies and they will willing fold and go on their own. I think all these sily posters are jealous of SA and since they cannot afford these premium services they do not want anyone affording them.

Am just tired of these people whining about SA when sa brings them civilization to their door step.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by gencyl(f): 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2014
Nice move, but is DSTV really stopping others to compete with them? i think DSTV is only enjoying the monopoly because it is a common household name that every nigerian has embraced over the years, and every other has been downgraded; and this is because we nigerians are still seeing it as the best so far despite their billings, at times poor signals, incomplete channels etc. But if there are other satelites that thinks they can really compete with them, they should and we nigerians will also make the choice and change to it.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2014
[quote author=MadCow1 post=27375567]The House of Reps Members are clueless I swear..

DSTV does not have any monopoly, they are simply the best in the Market and thats why all their competitors cant keep up. #Period.

The moment the reps fhuck with Multichoice, they would either water down their programming to match whatever rates the government imposes of them or pack up and leave..

The competition that came in the form of HITV saw how difficult the satellite game was and folded up.

Cable TV is not cheap anywhere in the world. DSTV prices are almost similar across Africa.. WHy is it Nigerians that keep complaining as if DSTV is part of their fundamental human right as a Nigerian. Why has the House of Reps not audited NTA to find out why the biggest Government
owned Television station in Africa is so useless.
[quote]

I did not see this otherwise i would not have written mine. Well said! Thanks.
Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by abatically(m): 12:35pm On Oct 23, 2014
firstolalekan:
Nice development.
*modified *
Let's wait and see how long it will take before any bill is passed and implemented. When it comes to making laws that will benefit the common man, we know how our reps and senators behave.
But, it didn't take them anytime to approve the borrowing of ONE BILLION DOLLARS proposed by the clown to FIGHT the bokohaRAMS that they're currently negotiating PEACE with.
Meanwhile, I don't see DSTV doing any monopoly here. Our own indigenous providers too are very greedy!
How much is Dasat subscription?
How much is Startimes subscription?
How much is Hitv subscription?

U just said what's on my mind. Multichoice has subscription of 1,500 and they have they have the one for N11,000. It is left for consumers to choose the one they can afford. They have decoders of N7,000 and they have one for N65,000. Cable tv don't come cheap even in advanced countries, it all depends on quality of service and programmes. U can't expect to watch quality programmes in HD and pay peanuts. LG has LED TV of N25,000 and they also have TV of 3 million naira.

Let them bring the competition, it is good for cosumers. We all know what happened to HITV. DSTV is still the most complete cable tv we have in Nigeria, so I don't see the reason to blame them for improving their services for additional fees.

1 Like

Re: Reps Move To End Dstv Monopoly by ChukwuCantDie: 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2014
Good, now give their subscribers to Daarsat, and give MTN to GLO, then take Shoprite and give it to Dangote.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

NTA Presenter Applies Makeup Live On Air (Photos) / Bbnaija: 2face Idibia Supports Kiddwaya / The Gardener's Daughter: TV Soap Opera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.