Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,318 members, 7,815,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. (12141 Views)

Military: Boko Haram Rocket Making Factory Photos Not Real / Secret Nigerian Drinking Dens In Kano / The Secret Nigerian Politcians Will Die To Keep Secret By Henry Omoregie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by ikeyman00(m): 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2008
sure no big deal! my guy ha

but do u you how the first helicopter that came to being was? tv nko

well something will never change
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 17, 2008
point is, you can't hide a rocket launch. i live not far from LASU and would have seen or heard it. wetin them take launch am? i'm not sure that they could make the rocket even if LASU registrar forked over every penny he got for school admin to them, so how did they do it? no university in nigeria has a research fund, or functioning labs for that matter. they'd have had to spend good money purchasing parts and components from europe or america in order to make the rocket, and we'd have smelt a rat. unless na over sized banger them make, i never see any rocket fly commot from LASU.

i'll believe it if they can post a photo of their launch pad.

[size=8pt]i hope this isn't another chinese joke, like the N40bn satellite[/size] undecided
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by lucabrasi(m): 1:19pm On Nov 17, 2008
if you were reffering to me,the point i was making is that there are many inventions/scientific feats that has gone unnoticed in nigeria from both ibo,hausa,yoruba,nd e.t.c due to lack of publicity,funds and other encouragement and motivation
@iceblue
do ypu live inside lasu or nr the alledged launch pad?what exactly dyu know about science and these stuffs?before making comments you should find out then come to your conclusions not just thinking because you didint hear or see anything then it isnt true
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 17, 2008
if the whole country has been unable to fund the launching of its own rocket, how can a couple of people from LASU, using scrap metal and co, do so? it is a very expensive project, and the whole of LASU CANNOT fund it.

i don't have to live inside LASU. a rocket launch isn't like testing a car. you simply can't hide it. it would be pretty obvious from a very far distance (witnesses don't even need to be near LASU to see it, and there are none) what is being sent up into the air, unless theirs is invisible and doesn't need to burn oxygen in order to be projected into the atmosphere undecided undecided

however, for the sake of argument, let us assume that they managed to 'put' it together, and there were (miraculously) no witnesses. where's the photo of the launch pad? you can't ask for recognition for such a feat without providing evidence. it's like when alams said he disappeared and woke to find himself in govt house. should we believe it simply cos he said so?
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Kobojunkie: 1:57pm On Nov 17, 2008
roflmao!!! secret rocket launch!!!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by lucabrasi(m): 2:05pm On Nov 17, 2008
@iceblue
seems yu r forgetting that this is whats called "a second hand account "of events, from what i have gathered here,someone wrote an article, the gys wernt interviewed neither was any picture taken, we don't even know their names save one and what they did or didnt do, all the article is doing at best is creating awareness, so like i said why don't you find out the facts and fictions before jumping to conclusions?have you been to the university?have you interviewed any students from the school?do you know the size of the rocket or dyu have an experience of how loud it sounds?do you have conclusive proof that they r making it up and did any of them actually come out to say they launched it in lasu or in front of lasu e.t.c the article said near some lagoon,what if it was fired towards the lagoon cause i dont really think any sensible person will test fire something they r keeping secret into the centre of lasu apart from that there s the health and safety issue to contend with and also keeping their experiemnts or whatever secret
I'm sure most of the answers is NO so what proof are you basing your assertions on apart from the fact that they are ordinary lasu students and can't possibly do it, what if it was a prototype,will that take any shine off their achievements?
an helicopter even a model toy one goes for several hundred pounds in the shops here yet it was made somewhere in the north for a fraction of that so? undecided
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nigeria4: 2:09pm On Nov 17, 2008

I only said so , because that picture came from this website space-rockets.com
here is the links below. So that why I said it is 419.

http://www.space-rockets.com/photo/launch1.jpg

the one at lasu is likely true, but the one at bauchi na lie. or if you have another picture show us, another story of man with 86 women.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 3:23pm On Nov 17, 2008
@lucabrasi
you obviously don't know the size of a rocket, or you wouldn't be arguing. you CANNOT i repeat, launch a rocket in secret. you can't even throw fireworks in secret, and that's a waaay smaller analogy than the attraction a rocket would generate.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Nov 17, 2008
iceblue:

@lucabrasi
you obviously don't know the size of a rocket, or you wouldn't be arguing. you CANNOT i repeat, launch a rocket in secret. you can't even throw fireworks in secret, and that's a waaay smaller analogy than the attraction a rocket would generate.

Banger-size rockets out in the middle of a huge farm. Middle-School science class rockets with silencer technology ( lol ) , maybe. I mean even one gun shot get's noticed in the woods out in ikorodu. I am trying to imagine how a rocket launch would go unnoticed, and so deemed top-secret.  Roflmao!!!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by ernal(m): 4:18pm On Nov 17, 2008
the only rockets getting launched in nigeria are bangers

grin grin grin

December don come o,children don dey launch their own rocket,i even see one way big pass this one way una show, my fone camera no dey work,i for show una.

Happy semi christmas!!! Happy Rocketing!!! IMLAO
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Nov 17, 2008
Even the christmas bangers are not produced in nigeria. tongue
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 5:49pm On Nov 17, 2008
nuzo:

abi o!!! you would think some sharp igbo boy would have come up with a way to make the things in nigeria and get his cut of the kids' christmas pocket money!!

nuzo make we discuss naa. nna, we suppose sabi make banger here now tongue
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by lucabrasi(m): 7:26pm On Nov 17, 2008
@iceblue
well then at this point ill leave you to whatever you want to believe seeing as you have suddenly become a nasa expert,ill also apologise for thinking rationally and giving the students the benefit of doubt in the absence of getting up to date info before jumping to unreasonable conclusions as opposed to not "hearing a loud noise from the rocket" or "seeing the rocket being lauched over lasu and the environs" grin
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by bawomolo(m): 7:35pm On Nov 17, 2008
lucabrasi:

@iceblue
well then at this point ill leave you to whatever you want to believe seeing as you have suddenly become a nasa expert,ill also apologise for thinking rationally and giving the students the benefit of doubt in the absence of getting up to date info before jumping to unreasonable conclusions as opposed to not "hearing a loud noise from the rocket" or "seeing the rocket being lauched over lasu and the environs" grin

no offense but a rocket would send a noticable shockwave through it's environs.  i doubt LASU has the make a rocket that evades radar like a stealth bomber.   did they tie styrofoam around the rocket to mask the sound or something.  cheesy

nuzo:

lol abi o.  to call the launch secret is ludacris. WTF is happening in LASU, the harmattan project  grin
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Gamine(f): 7:40pm On Nov 17, 2008
I bet they created a Secret Atmosphere to launch it in.

Heck! i have launched Rockets from my Doormot,

it wasnt even secret, Because what goes up must come down sometimes on someones head cheesy
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Nov 17, 2008
roflmao!!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by ikeyman00(m): 7:43pm On Nov 17, 2008
gamine

u we no fit fix ur lantre at convenant uni when nepa carry light de talk

hmm lipsrsealed
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by lucabrasi(m): 8:52pm On Nov 17, 2008
@bawomolo
seeing as the word"rocket"is the operative phrase here, hope you realise that saying i launched or you launched a rocket is very relative?my rocket might be a firework while yours might be a nasa certified rocket or a prototype of some sort, they r both called rocket in that sense of it,the article didnt say if it was big or small,if it was standard size or a small prototype.

second, all the article said was that the launchpad was somewhere near lasu,not inside lasu, i might have a property near your lagos home but do stuffs you wont hear if it was plots or hectares, not forgetting that whatever they were doing is supposed to be secret, what if it was launched towards the lagoon away from where people ll see or hear it and even if they did faintly,dont forget lasu area is not western world where the neighbourhood is quiet n still to every little noise or activity,moreover seeing as it has not been determined if it was big or small or how loud or not it was then how can you conclusively know that it has to make a earth shaking noise and launch with the mushroom smoke effect like rockets we see on tv.
the point im making here is not that they did fire a rocket because i wasnt there,my stance is that

1.im prepared to give them the benefit of doubt untill proven otherwise,more so as im not a scientist to conclusively assert its impossibility

2.im not prepared to jeer and make fun of them and their efforts just cause it doesnt sound possible to me.i prfer to wait for proof that it either happened or it didnt

3.if they wanted to lie or be mischievous then i hardly think any sensible person will tell a journalist their launch pad was near the university when they could have said it was somewhere in the epe bush or ibadan bush or lagos/ibadan expressway, sounds much more credible and would have explained away any lingering doubts but they had to have some confidence to actually state that it was near lasu somewhere, now ill wait for further explanations then make up my mind

4.western scientists including celebrated ones like einstein e.t.c have made claims most people have made fun of as impossible which we now believe nowadays,the fact that somehow their own "rocket"does not comform to the ones you know or have seen or witnessed launching does not make their alledged scientifit breakthrough frivolous, you are not a scientist neither are you a nasa representative, so you really cannot say theor rocket must be noisy or be seen by all e.t.c unless you demonstrate adequate knowledge of these stuffs or if the newspaper or the gys refutes everyting then,
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Gamine(f): 9:03pm On Nov 17, 2008
@Ikeyman,

You crazy fool grin grin

Where is Convenant sef? undecided
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by shotster50(m): 9:19pm On Nov 17, 2008
Lets hope the rocoket or whatever dont fall back to Lagos like the satellite will.
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On Nov 17, 2008
shotster50:

Lets hope the rocoket or whatever don't fall back to Lagos like the satellite will.

roflmao!!!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by ikeyman00(m): 9:48pm On Nov 17, 2008
oh well haha
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Gamine(f): 10:05pm On Nov 17, 2008
Well, lets hope Gravitonics works out in this case
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by bawomolo(m): 2:41am On Nov 18, 2008
don't worry people. this is what they launched. i got the prototype right here. remember this is confidential info i got from the registrar at LASU

Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Kobojunkie: 5:14am On Nov 18, 2008
RoflmaO!!!! grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by shotster50(m): 7:27am On Nov 18, 2008
Whats that long assed pole doing in the picture anyway
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 18, 2008
shotster50:

Whats that long assed pole doing in the picture anyway

Thats why it's called rocket science, its not meant for all the coconut heads.
You must be a genius like those LASU astronauts before you can understand that it's remote control for the said "rocket" tongue
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Horus(m): 10:05am On Nov 18, 2008
Nigerian Scientists Launch Rockets

By J.K. Obatala
Sunday, November 16, 2008               

OFFICIALS at the Centre For Space Transport And Propulsion (CSTP), Epe, Lagos State, have made a startling revelation: Nigerian Scientists and engineers have, for the past two years, been building and launching experimental rockets - without foreign assistance. Coordinator of the Centre, Mr. Oluremi A. Fashade, told The Guardian last week that at least nine test-firings had occurred. The rockets are launched from a testing range near the Lagos State University, adjacent to the Lagos Lagoon.
For the first time ever, Fashade, an engineer, talked openly about the Centre's formerly top secret rocket research, which is being carried out under the auspices of the National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA).
Among other things, he said that the Centre would, in time, graduate to bigger and more complex craft, capable of launching satellites and eventually humans into space. He said that the NASRDA was acquiring a new launch site on a remote island in the Atlantic, to accommodate full-sized space vehicles.

Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article02/indexn2_html?pdate=161108&ptitle=R-E-V-E-A-L-E-D:%3CBR%3ENigerian%20Scientists%20Launch%20Rockets
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by Kobojunkie: 1:39pm On Nov 18, 2008
I love that they saw fit to add the word REVEALED to the article header. roflmao!!
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by bawomolo(m): 3:45pm On Nov 18, 2008
Mr. Oluremi A. Fashade, told The Guardian last week that at least nine test-firings had occurred

any word on how successful it was or did mammywater swallow the rockets?
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by MrCrackles(m): 3:46pm On Nov 18, 2008
This is not top secret, i was there when they were launching it! lipsrsealed
Re: Top Secret; Nigerian Scientists Launch Rocket From Lasu. by toiletRol: 3:52pm On Nov 18, 2008
Nigerians are fools- lets say this is true, and Nigerians themselves dont beleive in the capability of Nigerians, then, how can the country progress?

I am amazed at the bunch of fools packed together and called Nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote To Site $8bn Refinery In Olokola FTZ / Lagos Switches On Street Light On Iyana-ipaja Road And Its Inner Roads.( Pics) / Pictures Of The Commissioned Awka Substation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.