Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,748 members, 7,955,859 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 05:13 PM

Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name (4007 Views)

Was Satan By Default An Angel? Prove It If You Think Jesus Never Exist As Angel / Do You Think Jesus Is God? If Yes Then Answer These Questions / If you thinK Jesus Is Not God? Say This Words and See what will happen to you (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Boomark(m): 1:18am On Oct 25, 2014
Smh for sukkot and MIALYN for they err not knowing a simile(as).
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by sukkot: 4:50am On Oct 25, 2014
Ajibam:
I thought you've stopped smoking buzugee?
i have grin
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by sukkot: 4:52am On Oct 25, 2014
Boomark:
Smh for sukkot and MIALYN for they err not knowing a simile(as).
simile ? whwere the simile at bros ? tongue
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Boomark(m): 5:14am On Oct 25, 2014
sukkot:
hehe. its called the many mythology and misunderstanding of christianity

galatians 4 vs 14 And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. <<< paul thanking the people for recieving him as jesus christ even though he was struggling with sin. like saying i thank you for recognizing me as the erediauwa ukwakolorkpolor even though i am an adulterer and a fornicator etc etc. so despite having some sin that they all know he is struggling with they still acknowedged him and treated him as a man endowed with the wisdom of the words of God grin

You do err. So when one says, "he was received as President Jonathan," does that mean Jonathan is a title?
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Weah96: 5:29am On Oct 25, 2014
According to babycenter.com, Jesus was one of the top 100 names for all Hispanic males born in 2012.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_100-most-popular-hispanic-baby-names-for-boys-in-2012_10376553.bc

I know at least three dudes called Jesus today, walking around in Atlanta.
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by ayoku777(m): 5:45am On Oct 25, 2014
sukkot:
good questions

colosians 4 vs 11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me. <<< PROVING MY POINT THAT JESUS IS THE BIBLE. AND FOR THE WORD TO BE IN YOU MEANS YOU ARE OF THE CIRCUMCISION. SO THIS IS REFERRING TO JESUS CHRIST. AND TO FURTHER PROVE THAT IT IS A TITLE AND NOT A PERSONS NAME THE STATEMENT SAYS ' THESE ARE MY FELLOW WORKERS WHO ARE OF THE CIRCUMCISION '. LETTING YOU KNOW JESUS CHRIST IS A TITLE FOR A BUNCH OF MEN NOT JUST ONE PERSON. IT SAYS ' THESE ARE MY FELLOW WORKERS, JESUS CHRIST THAT IS '

LUKE 2 VS 21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb. <<< NOTICE HOW THE NAME IS IN CAPITAL LETTERS ? THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT. IT MEANS IT IS NOT REFERRING TO WHAT YOU THINK IT IS REFFERING TO

I strongly want to believe this is not a deliberate attempt at twisting scripture; that it is simply a sincere error of hermeneutics (style of scripture interpretation).

This kind of error you're making arises when someone takes a verse or two in the bible, and wrests or tears it out of the passage; and then gives it an entirely individualistic interpretation totally out of sync with the context of its preceeding verses.

The verse you quoted in Colossians 4v11 -And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellow-workers unto the kingdom of God.

If you look at the verse that came before it (verse 10), you will notice it didn't end with a fullstop. Meaning whatever Paul was writing in verse 11 was a direct continuation of the sentence he began in verse 10.

And if you read verse 10 and 11 together to make a sentence, it reads

"Aristarchus, my fellowprisoner saluteth you, and Marcus, sister's son to Barnabas (touching whom ye received commandments: if he come unto you, receive him) and Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision."

He already mentioned the names of two other people: Aristarchus, his fellow prisoner, Marcus (Barnabas's Sister's son) and Jesus, which is called Justus.

These are the ones "WHO ARE OF THE CIRCUMCISION" and "THESE ARE" his fellow-workers unto the kingdom of God.

He was not saying "JESUS" is the title name for a group of people who are of the circumcision. You drew that conclusion by giving verse 11 an individualistic interpretation out of context.

And for the point of Jesus name being Capitalized in Luke 2v21.

Capitalization in bible greek or english is to denote emphasis, not to imply that a word means more that what is written. When a word means more than what is written (either to show sarcasm or depict something) it is put in quotation marks or inverted commas; ( " " ) or ( ' ' )

Many words were capitalized in bible greek that mean nothing more than exactly what was writtten. E.g

Revelation 19v16 -And He had on his vesture and on His thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORD.

"King of kings and Lord of Lords" here means exactly that -no hidden meaning.

Also. Revelation 1v4 -JOHN to the seven churches which are in Asia. Grace unto you, and peace....

"JOHN" capitalized here doesn't symbolize anything more than the name of the person writing.

Please, Capitalization is for emphasis not symbolization.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Boomark(m): 6:03am On Oct 25, 2014
sukkot:
simile ? whwere the simile at bros ? tongue

A simile is a figure of speech that compares two things by using the words ‘like’ or ‘as’ something else. They are compared indirectly.

Examples of Similes
White as a ghost.
Swims like a fish.
Runs like a cheetah.
Slippery as an eel.

A simile can be as descriptive as the writer chooses.

Examples of more descriptive similes:
He was as brave as a lion in a fight.
He was as angry as a bull at a red flag.

See the simile here:

galatians 4 vs 14 And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

Received AS Angel
Received AS Christ

The simile here Compares the kind of reception he got from the Galatians to that given to an Angel and that of Christ, even though he was sick, vs 13. He was receive just as people receive Angels, he was received just as people receive Christ.

Smh for thee. tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Boomark(m): 6:16am On Oct 25, 2014
ayoku777:

I strongly want to believe this is not a deliberate attempt at twisting scripture; that it is simply a sincere error of hermeneutic (style of scripture interpretation).

This kind of error you're making arises when someone takes a verse or two in the bible, and wrests or tears it out of the passage; and then gives it an entirely individualistic interpretation totally out of sync with the context of its preceeding verses.

The verse you quoted in Colossians 4v11 -And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellow-workers unto the kingdom of God.

If you look at the verse that came before it (verse 10), you will notice it didn't end with a fullstop. Meaning whatever Paul was writing in verse 11 was a direct continuation of the sentence he began in verse 10.

"Aristarchus, my fellowprisoner saluteth you, and Marcus, sister's son to Barnabas (touching whom ye received commandments: if he come unto you, receive him) and Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision."

He already mentioned the names of two other people: Aristarchus, his fellow prisoner, Marcus (Barnabas's Sister's son) and Jesus, which is called Justus.

These are the ones "WHO ARE OF THE CIRCUMCISION" and "THESE ARE" his fellow-workers unto the kingdom of God.

He was not saying "JESUS" is the title name for a group of people who are of the circumcision. You drew that conclusion by giving verse 11 an individualistic interpretation out of context.

Capitalization in bible greek or english is to denote emphasis, not to imply that a word means more that what is written. When a word means more than what is written (either to show sarcasm or depict something) it is put in quotation marks or inverted commas; (" "wink or (' ')

Many words were capitalized in bible greek that mean nothing more than exactly what was writtten. E.g

Revelation 19v16 -And He had on his vesture and on His thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORD.

Also. Revelation 1v4 -JOHN to the seven churches which are in Asia. Grace unto you, and peace....

"JOHN" capitalized here doesn't symbolize anything more than the name of the person writing.

Was about speaking of this. Justus=these?
Seems verse 10 is not in his bible.

Smh for the sukkot
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by fijiano2002: 10:22am On Oct 25, 2014
sukkot:
no human being was called Jesus. read the book of revelation chapter 19 very well. the bible is written like poetry. if you read the bible and the bible is speaking to you meaning you are understanding it, that means jesus is speaking to you. the bible is Jesus.
Bro christ means saviour..Jesus is a general name everywhere...did you read of anybody named Judas until the betrayal
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Ajibam: 10:43am On Oct 25, 2014
Let stop arguing this out. There are many school of thought about this issue.. Deal with your faith and stop nonsense argument..
Obadiah might be right or wrong, you just face your faith!!

Go through this site!
http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/17709/why-is-the-term-immanuel-emmanuel-considered-to-be-a-title-rather-than-a-proper

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 26, 2014
sukkot:
good questions

colosians 4 vs 11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me. <<< PROVING MY POINT THAT JESUS IS THE BIBLE. AND FOR THE WORD TO BE IN YOU MEANS YOU ARE OF THE CIRCUMCISION. SO THIS IS REFERRING TO JESUS CHRIST. AND TO FURTHER PROVE THAT IT IS A TITLE AND NOT A PERSONS NAME THE STATEMENT SAYS ' THESE ARE MY FELLOW WORKERS WHO ARE OF THE CIRCUMCISION '. LETTING YOU KNOW JESUS CHRIST IS A TITLE FOR A BUNCH OF MEN NOT JUST ONE PERSON. IT SAYS ' THESE ARE MY FELLOW WORKERS, JESUS CHRIST THAT IS '

LUKE 2 VS 21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb. <<< NOTICE HOW THE NAME IS IN CAPITAL LETTERS ? THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT. IT MEANS IT IS NOT REFERRING TO WHAT YOU THINK IT IS REFFERING TO

Finish that of Joshua. when you are through I 'll answer all together.

But my friend, I employ you to be merciful unto yourself amd tell yourself the truth. Even if you dont admit it here, tell it to yourself. You know why?

Because, even if you dont admit it, it does not change that truth to a lie, it rather locks you up in the dark.

And also clarify me:

- You said that "Jesus" is a title and not talking about a person.

- You also said that "Jesus" is talking about bunch of men. Please address that contradiction. How did 'people' finally come into the picture, when you earlier said that Jesus means the bible (God's word) wherever it occurs?

ayoku777 made a great point above. Most of what he said is worth considering.
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by sukkot: 4:28pm On Oct 26, 2014
Boomark:

You do err. So when one says, "he was received as President Jonathan," does that mean Jonathan is a title?
you did see this verse didnt you ?
colosians 4 vs 11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me << his fellow workers are Jesus. a title not a name
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by sukkot: 4:31pm On Oct 26, 2014
Weah96:
According to babycenter.com, Jesus was one of the top 100 names for all Hispanic males born in 2012.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_100-most-popular-hispanic-baby-names-for-boys-in-2012_10376553.bc

I know at least three dudes called Jesus today, walking around in Atlanta.
sounds cool. got nothing to do with this thread though.

colosians 4 vs 11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me <<< several people fall under the umbrella jesus. meaning its a title. i already posted the one where paul and john call themselves Jesus Christ
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by sukkot: 4:36pm On Oct 26, 2014
ayoku777:

I strongly want to believe this is not a deliberate attempt at twisting scripture; that it is simply a sincere error of hermeneutics (style of scripture interpretation).

Capitalization in bible greek or english is to denote emphasis, not to imply that a word means more that what is written. When a word means more than what is written (either to show sarcasm or depict something) it is put in quotation marks or inverted commas; ( " " ) or ( ' ' )

bros trust me when i say Jesus is not a human being but several human beings sealed with the word of God. neither is noah or adam or eve or job or daniel or mary or abraham or moses. these are not names of human beings but several human beings housed under one name. its called allegory.
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by sukkot: 4:40pm On Oct 26, 2014
Boomark:

A simile is a figure of speech that compares two things by using the words ‘like’ or ‘as’ something else. They are compared indirectly.

Examples of Similes
White as a ghost.
Swims like a fish.
Runs like a cheetah.
Slippery as an eel.

A simile can be as descriptive as the writer chooses.

Examples of more descriptive similes:
He was as brave as a lion in a fight.
He was as angry as a bull at a red flag.

See the simile here:

Received AS Angel
Received AS Christ

The simile here Compares the kind of reception he got from the Galatians to that given to an Angel and that of Christ, even though he was sick, vs 13. He was receive just as people receive Angels, he was received just as people receive Christ.

Smh for thee. tongue
stop twisting scriptures. what is written down is pretty clear. these men have shortcomings that everyone can see but yet are still recieved as messengers and custodians of the word of God. thats what that galatians verse is talking about. see you need to be able to see past the bible being about single people before you can understand where i am coming from. there is no human being named jesus christ that was hung on a cross. nobody was hung on a cross literally wink
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by sukkot: 4:45pm On Oct 26, 2014
fijiano2002:
Bro christ means saviour..Jesus is a general name everywhere...did you read of anybody named Judas until the betrayal
christ means anointed. Jesus means ' he saves ' . which is the bible that will save you hence the saying in rev 19 vs 13 ' and his name is called the word of God '. and as for Judas, thats also a cover name for the wicked disloyal men of israel whom because of their actions they lost power and hence the proverbial kiss of death. by their actions they cost Jesus Christ the kingdom, and the caucasians gained power again and have held unto that power till today
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by sukkot: 4:48pm On Oct 26, 2014
JMAN05:

Finish that of Joshua. when you are through I 'll answer all together.

But my friend, I employ you to be merciful unto yourself amd tell yourself the truth. Even if you dont admit it here, tell it to yourself. You know why?

Because, even if you dont admit it, it does not change that truth to a lie, it rather locks you up in the dark.

And also clarify me:

- You said that "Jesus" is a title and not talking about a person.

- You also said that "Jesus" is talking about bunch of men. Please address that contradiction.
How did 'people' finally come into the picture, when you earlier said that Jesus means the bible (God's word) wherever it occurs?

ayoku777 made a great point above. Most of what he said is worth considering.
okay like a title will be CHAIRMEN. and under that title would be all the chairmen in nigeria. gerrit ? no contradictions. and yes Jesus means Gods word but it is sometimes used for the people who have Gods word in them which is the 144 elect. they can be called Jesus because they are carrying the word of God in their spirit ( they are a walking and talking Gods word ) or Jesus Christ.
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by LordReed(m): 5:26pm On Oct 26, 2014
MEILYN:
Break it down to their understanding sire..... These nairalanders are lame men grin grin... Always quick to answer with their ignorant minds.

And you are the lamest of the lamest since you only show up to kiss sukkot's a$$.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Boomark(m): 6:04pm On Oct 26, 2014
sukkot:
you did see this verse didnt you ?
colosians 4 vs 11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me << his fellow workers are Jesus. a title not a name

So a person can be a (are) fellow WORKERS? You err and you knew it. Read Vs 10-11 to see why he used workers instead of worker. And again, go and study singular and plural so you will know the difference between worker and workers. Smh for thee.
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Rilwayne001: 6:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
sukkot:
always scoffing. dayum scribes and pharisees cheesy

Obadiah?

Is that you?
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Boomark(m): 6:14pm On Oct 26, 2014
sukkot:
stop twisting scriptures. what is written down is pretty clear. these men have shortcomings that everyone can see but yet are still recieved as messengers and custodians of the word of God. thats what that galatians verse is talking about. see you need to be able to see past the bible being about single people before you can understand where i am coming from. there is no human being named jesus christ that was hung on a cross. nobody was hung on a cross literally wink

What you need to do is to go and study the use of English and come back again. At least i have shown you simile they used and what it means.

So Christ did not die on the cross, where did he die?
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by LordReed(m): 6:31pm On Oct 26, 2014
sukkot:
sounds cool. got nothing to do with this thread though.

colosians 4 vs 11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only are my fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me <<< several people fall under the umbrella jesus. meaning its a title. i already posted the one where paul and john call themselves Jesus Christ

I didn't know you didn't pass reading comprehension in primary school. Did you read from verse 10? Chai! 5kobo mess!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 26, 2014
sukkot:
okay like a title will be CHAIRMEN. and under that title would be all the chairmen in nigeria. gerrit ? no contradictions. and yes Jesus means Gods word but it is sometimes used for the people who have Gods word in them which is the 144 elect. they can be called Jesus because they are carrying the word of God in their spirit ( they are a walking and talking Gods word ) or Jesus Christ.

I wonder your age. These are jejune responses I must tell you.

You stated that wherever we see Jesus, it is the bible (inanimate thing). Now, you are given "chair[b]men[/b]" as an analogy. how did men come into the picture since we are talking about inanimate thing here?

You ignored that Joshua again. Do you view Joshua of the "OT" as a word for bible or as the name of a person?

I ve not even started responding to your earlier post. remember.
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 26, 2014
LordReed:

I didn't know you didn't pass reading comprehension in primary school. Did you read from verse 10? Chai! 5kobo mess!

Who knows how old he is, because I dont just see any point here to talk about.
Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by fijiano2002: 9:50am On Oct 27, 2014
sukkot:
christ means anointed. Jesus means ' he saves ' . which is the bible that will save you hence the saying in rev 19 vs 13 ' and his name is called the word of God '. and as for Judas, thats also a cover name for the wicked disloyal men of israel whom because of their actions they lost power and hence the proverbial kiss of death. by their actions they cost Jesus Christ the kingdom, and the caucasians gained power again and have held unto that power till today
go back to ur bible theres more than one Judas

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Think Jesus Christ Is A Human Beings Name by mcfynest(m): 7:09pm On Dec 14, 2014
Ajibam:
Let stop arguing this out. There are many school of thought about this issue.. Deal with your faith and stop nonsense argument..
Obadiah might be right or wrong, you just face your faith!!

Go through this site!
http://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/17709/why-is-the-term-immanuel-emmanuel-considered-to-be-a-title-rather-than-a-proper

Yrs, lets not argue but lets eat meat and in some cases lets drink milk. Personally, i believe JESUS is the WORD of GOD and that is the bible, though a certain man named jesus(joshua) existed cos in the concluding part of the book of marl, there was also an affirmation there. Jesus is the first born of all creatures, because through him all was made(WORD)

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: Tension In Lagos As Hand Of God, Eyes, Angels Appears In Clouds / Troll Saturday / Spiritual Materials Shop In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.