Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria (1497 Views)

Invasion Of Nigeria By Benin Rep:1914 Agreement Has Expired, Boni Yayi Tells PMB / Jonathan Presents Cheques & Appointment Letters To Victims Of NIS Tragedy - Pics / Ghana, Benin, SA, Kenya, Ethiopia, Senegal... Beat Nigeria In Global Biz Rating! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by topsyking: 10:42pm On Oct 24, 2014
The Nigeria Immigration Service, Lagos State Command, on Thursday arrested 27 women and a 15-year-old boy in the Lagos Mainland area of the state.

The suspects were nationals of Benin Republic, Togo and Ghana.

They were said to be without a valid entry passport or visa, and would be repatriated as soon as the agency concluded all necessary investigation.

A few of the women were nursing mothers who had their babies strapped to their backs.

While the elderly ones showed remorse, the young ladies in the group chatted away as they avoided press interview and snapshots.

A woman in her 50s, who identified herself as Mrs Oluwaseun Joseph, from Cotonou, Benin Republic, was in tears as she pleaded for time to get her documents.
ADVERTISEMENT

Joseph, who spoke in Yoruba with PUNCH Metro, said although she had stayed long in Nigeria, she did not know the importance of a valid passport until she was arrested on Thursday.

She said, “I have been in this country for a long time. I gave birth to my three children here. My husband who is also from Benin Republic, died some years ago.

“The work I do is to carry people’s load at Ebute Meta. I started the work when I was sick and needed money.

“That was what I was doing when they came to arrest me. If I had known about the document, I would have got it long ago. What will I do now? My kids are still in school.”

Fifteen-year-old Ishay Befaye said he had been in Lagos for only one month.

He said, “I am 15 years old. I came to Lagos on my own. My father is dead while my mother is in benin republic. I finished learning bricklaying in Benin and I came to Nigeria to find work. I planned to raise enough money and then regularise my papers. I make a lot of money from the work.

“I have a bank account in Lagos where I keep the money. I am just begging them to give me some time to get home and tell my friends that I want to go to the village to get my papers.”

But the state’s Comptroller, Justina Ahamdu, told our correspondent the command would not give the illegal immigrants a second chance.

Ahmadu said the agency had had a meeting with heads of ECOWAS members in the state, to warn against the danger of living in the country without valid documents.

She said, “I had a meeting with the heads of ECOWAS in the state in August when I resumed office, and I told them to warn their people staying in the country illegally, that if we picked them, we would not listen to them. And it was during the meeting I learnt that they also usually had periodic meetings with their fellow countrymen.

“Normally, when we go for raids like this, we profile and screen them before repatriating them. While repatriating them, we tell them that to be legal residents, they need to get valid documents and pass through authorised routes, before they can be allowed to stay. This is a continuous process.”

She warned that Nigerians, who keep illegal immigrants for cheap labour or obstruct officials of the agency from making arrests, may also be made to face the wrath of the law.

so we get immigration for this country? wonderful.. is like they just woke up

http://www.nigeriatell.com/news/nigeria-immigration-service-arrests-27-women-boy-in-lagos#.VEthK1cW4is

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by politricks: 10:45pm On Oct 24, 2014
Ghana must go season 2 episode 1.
Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Firefire(m): 10:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
Do we need this?

Protect the borders. Finito!
Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Psylas(m): 10:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
And so? Make we clap 4 una? Those people arrested are not our problems

1 Like

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by brownlord: 10:55pm On Oct 24, 2014
This would be the 2nd time they repatriating Oxygen and petrodollar in 6 months, don't this burnt offerings ever stay in their country, can they please cut off one of his ear so we can spot him out if he smuggles himself back here

1 Like

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Nobody: 11:15pm On Oct 24, 2014
guys d gudwrk will always strt from somewhere,influx of foriegners should be checked and more so only God knws where the echo of the news would av reach, may be thre are some nationals of ebola hit countries planning to cross over with tye aim of finding there ways to naija (may b).
Nigeria will surely be great if we start commending the little effort to give those doing it the morale to do more.
God bless nigeria
Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Asoozy: 11:19pm On Oct 24, 2014
Rubbish! Why can ibos stay but an Olufunmi Joseph cannot?

Cotonou people have more rights in Lagos than non-Yorubas!

1 Like

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 24, 2014
Asoozy:

This is total nonsense.
Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 24, 2014
Asoozy:

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
Well deport them sharply, no time #say no to illegal immigrants
Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Collynzo29: 11:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
Asoozy:

That is one Nigeria for you, if you don't like it declare Odua republic.

1 Like

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by MayorofLagos(m): 2:02am On Oct 25, 2014
They forgot to arrest people of SE Nigeria....
shyyte! angry
Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Justcash(m): 3:12am On Oct 25, 2014
Asoozy:

Now I understand why you were so pained in my thread about my prophesy of the outcomes if GEJ is voted out in 2015. I have to sincerely tell you that your type of mindset and line of thought is retrogressive to national progress. Not only will it not give you progress as a Nigerian, it will potentially lead you to unnecessary confrontations, both online and physically. I just hope you understand that to hold someone down, you have to be down too.

1 Like

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Asoozy: 4:25am On Oct 25, 2014
Justcash:

Now I understand why you were so pained in my thread about my prophesy of the outcomes if GEJ is voted out in 2015. I have to sincerely tell you that your type of mindset and line of thought is retrogressive to national progress. Not only will it not give you progress as a Nigerian, it will potentially lead you to unnecessary confrontations, both online and physically. I just hope you understand that to hold someone down, you have to be down too.

Shut up dia!

I know your history! Even you can talk? You this Biafran KKK!
Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by Justcash(m): 5:19am On Oct 25, 2014
Asoozy:

Shut up dia!

I know your history! Even you can talk? You this Biafran KKK!

You sound so sad. Try to cheer up. It's good for healthy living. Just saying though.

1 Like

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by BarryX(m): 8:14am On Oct 25, 2014
I can authoritatively say that, we have millions of illegal immigrants residing in Nigeria especially in Lagos!

They should be more effective.

We should have a Nigerian Identity sorta.
Every Tom, Diccccck and Harry from across the border shouldn't just breeze in and out!
There should be some form of documentation to that effect,
Ebola is knocking around hate or love it
Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by topsyking: 9:38am On Oct 25, 2014
Collynzo29:

That is one Nigeria for you, if you don't like it declare Odua republic.

Re: NIS Arrest Citizens Of Ghana,benin Rep & Togo Without Passports In Lagos,nigeria by ifyalways(f): 9:43am On Oct 25, 2014
Trouble sleep yanga go wake am. . .

Mi ba ooo cheesy

(1) (Reply)

GMB The APC President Maybe Be Sick / No Final Decision On Polls- INEC To Consult Widely - Council Of State / Jega Cannot Resign Or Go On Terminal Leave -falana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.