Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. (34741 Views)

Letter Written By A Polytechnic Student Who Is In HND 2 / PHOTOS: See What They Did To An Ambrose Ali University Graduate / Humiliation Of A University Graduate On Graduation Day (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by dayosaurus(m): 11:35am On Oct 26, 2014
Emmyboscojnr:
j1- Jamb Cut-Off Marks on entry into a Polytechnic is Lower than that of a University.

This is no fault of the students, it's the examination board foolishness. Wesley university accepts candidate that scored 160 even OSU accepts 180 undecided

2- University Graduates are the Lecturers in a Polytechnic.

No Bsc holder can lecture in yaba college of technology, at best they are junior lecturers who supervise lab sessions

3- The Curriculum in a Polytechnic and a University is totally different.

This is relative, Circuit theory is taught in ND2, while an university engineering student won't be taught till 400level or so

4- Polytechnic Graduates Can never attain the Level of a Professor.

Baseless, have you ever heard of PGD?. Even university graduates require further education to be a professor

5- Polytechnic Graduates Must have to Undergo another 2 Years in the University to get a Degree and be Really Relevant.

Wrong!! Relevance is relative and in this context baseless.going to the university after hnd is a matter of choice . An HND holder need not attend a university.

6- There is Discrimination even in the Polytechnics.

I don't understand this and it's relevance to the issue on ground.

7- Polytechnic are not Upto standard in terms of Infrastructure, Curriculum and standard Lectures wit P.hd, Profs and the Likes.

This is a fallacy, it may be so in some poo called poly. But the one I attended all lecturers are profs. Or about to be.

8- Requirements to enter the Polytechnics and University Varies even in terms of S.S.C.E

This untrue for my school, but since nigerià is a effed up country some substandard schools accept lesser grades..

9- Polytechnic graduates cannot get some political and F.G appointments like Directors, Perm. Sec.. Etc.

Iono about this but is nigerià a fair country??. Besides obasanjo, aregbe n Co never attended a uni. So what's the point.

10- Wats the Point of going to a Polytechnic to Study courses like History, Public Admin, Law. Etc, where wil yu work?!

Dumbest point!!! Do people get jobs cos of their qualifications this days??. Where were you when students who schooled in the UK were roaming broad street begging for jobs??

j1- Jamb Cut-Off Marks on entry into a Polytechnic is Lower than that of a University.
5- Polytechnic Graduates Must have to Undergo another 2 Years in the University to get a Degree and be Really Relevant.
7- Polytechnic are not Upto standard in terms of Infrastructure, Curriculum and standard Lectures wit P.hd, Profs and the Likes.
8- Requirements to enter the Polytechnics and University Varies even in terms of S.S.C.E
9- Polytechnic graduates cannot get some political and F.G appointments like Directors, Perm. Sec.. Etc.
10- Wats the Point of going to a Polytechnic to Study courses like History, Public Admin, Law. Etc, where wil yu work?!
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by chibuzor05(m): 11:49am On Oct 26, 2014
I am a polytechnic graduate(though currently running a Post graduate program), i do facilitate in an over 3,000 capacity auditorium filled with Professors and all calibres of people in the field of academia, they are all rrnder a round-off aplause after each session. Op the earlier u realise that certificate ain't no education the better for you. Have you done a research and find out how many science and engineering firm do employ Bsc holders? Infact your post alone have revealed how frustrated you are....you need some better education.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by klerry(m): 12:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
Christian/Muslim
Northerner/Southerner
Bsc/HND

I look forward to a day in Nigeria when we all see ourselves as complimenting each other and do not see that one of us is better than the other.
In the real sense the head can't tell the hand is more impprtant, ask the man without hands, in the same way the hand can't tell the head it is useless.

Let us leave this issue of which one is better or superior and deal with our we can better our economy and in turn our lives.
In economies where each one funcrions well with enough jobs to go round I'm sure they don't have this debate going on.
God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by crownbryan(m): 1:22pm On Oct 26, 2014
Champion01:
Where did dey achieve dat professor/doctorate degree? In poly? Mtcheewww

unarguably, through post graduate which only universities have monopolized. That doesn't mean it can't be awarded in a polytecnic if they are given equally opportunity.
Doctor Shola Adeosun is in the department of mass communication, Moshood Abiola Polytecnic, Prof Itiola also in the same school and almost all department have doctors or one professor. These people had their higher education first in polytecnic and testify that it mould them to be where they are today.

You need to do alot of research and stop being myopic with a view consumed by hatred, because hatred is all i feel from your criticism.

All these Doesn't really worth it you know?, you might as well put yourself in other people's shoes and know how it feel to be categorize as inferior.

Although, adjustment is needed in polytecnics, government can as well scrap it or upgrade it and save us this shit.
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Ndababa(m): 1:49pm On Oct 26, 2014
Idle talks... Unnecessary arguments... Enmity!
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by corperscorner: 2:20pm On Oct 26, 2014
This argument is totally unnecessary...

I am surrounded by university graduates, of which, none of them is yet to secure a job at the moment.

Now, they are thinking of starting a joint business venture, printing of recharge cards to be precise.

Bliv me, they will be the last set of BSC graduates to join in this type of conversation 'cos they haven't achieved anything tangible with the so called BSC.

However, you guys should realize that those that attended polytechnics never intended that for themselves. So, if you really want to take out your frustration on anyone, blame the government and the mediocre educational administration.

I maintain my stance that Bsc/Hnd are just certificates. What makes you unique is your personal drive and development.

Plus....I have had the best of both worlds, and I can say from where I am right now. Polytechnic graduates are being continually discriminated despite their exposure to a more sophisticated learning environment.

If you come across a polytechnic graduate who graduated with distinction. Then perhaps, he or she might let you know its like a jungle where you are being taught to hunt and not get fed by some hands.
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Zico0(m): 2:29pm On Oct 26, 2014
@ dayosaurus, abeey2sam and one other person i can't remember; for the last time.

Brilliance and intelligence.
Brilliance is knowing that 20+20=40. Intelligence is knowing how to convert N20 to N40.

Brilliance is measured by As, degrees, 500% at ICAN, 4.9 in CGPA, and whatever irrelevant statistics you all have. Intelligence is measured by circumstances: MBA over B.Sc, B.Sc over Hnd, the rich over the poor, SUV over Ferrari, firstworld societies over thirdworld societies etc.

Brilliance is only acquired in school. Intelligence transcends Education. Many Nigerian students are very brilliant. They know all of physics, chemistry and biology and what not, but that's all. The sinple truth is: if i'm so intelligent, how come i don't have a degree from Havard, or Yale, Cambridge? Now somebody is telling about Hnd. You've got to be kidding me! And another is giving me flimsy excuses of conditions. If you don't have the standard don't talk to me. The world dosen't care. It's only interested in how you can provide solutions and make things work in the face of unhealthy conditions.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by simdam500(m): 4:01pm On Oct 26, 2014
Reasoning...
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 26, 2014
2old4that:

What a post. So does one not being taught by a professor or whatnot , makes one less important in the society? Baseless.

Bulk of the people who come on TVs everyday proffering solutions to Nigeria's problems are uni graduates. Hence they av been theoretically taught how to talk, talk n talk without putting it into practice.

Its not surprising the level our country has attain since time immemorial. Pretty soon we will be talking about having separate Church n Mosque for HND n Bsc.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.... Baseless
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by meelorlah(f): 6:37pm On Oct 26, 2014
dayosaurus:
Are you Fucking kidding me??.. your ignorance has reached unimaginable heights.

For the past four years the best graduating students in electrical engineering (unilag) were from yabatech, my friend in yabatech is currently in lag with a cgpa of 4.98, I myself scored 289 in jamb the year I got admission to yct and assisted professor Mowete of lag in a recent project of his.

The fact that you attended a substandard polytechnic does not mean poly students are all dumb bleeps. Most of us attended cos we were either too young, we're not offered the right courses in a university or desired to do it the hard way :- undecided

angry
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Mamaseventies: 6:52pm On Oct 26, 2014
Fallacy.. undecided
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 25, 2014

Is that the reason why you cannot type in English?
...Invalid point..Who doesn't type dah way??
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 25, 2014
Zico0:
@ dayosaurus, abeey2sam and one other person i can't remember; for the last time.

Brilliance and intelligence.
Brilliance is knowing that 20+20=40. Intelligence is knowing how to convert N20 to N40.

Brilliance is measured by As, degrees, 500% at ICAN, 4.9 in CGPA, and whatever irrelevant statistics you all have. Intelligence is measured by circumstances: MBA over B.Sc, B.Sc over Hnd, the rich over the poor, SUV over Ferrari, firstworld societies over thirdworld societies etc.

Brilliance is only acquired in school. Intelligence transcends Education. Many Nigerian students are very brilliant. They know all of physics, chemistry and biology and what not, but that's all. The sinple truth is: if i'm so intelligent, how come i don't have a degree from Havard, or Yale, Cambridge? Now somebody is telling about Hnd. You've got to be kidding me! And another is giving me flimsy excuses of conditions. If you don't have the standard don't talk to me. The world dosen't care. It's only interested in how you can provide solutions and make things work in the face of unhealthy conditions.
...Wonderful!!smiley
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by lacasera14(m): 12:24am On Nov 26, 2014
I was once a poly student before successfully porting to uni and trust me poly is not the best place to be if you want quality education that commands respect.
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by EduRegard: 3:00pm On Feb 24, 2016
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Sammy07: 10:40pm On Oct 20, 2016
You people are funny.

Can you compare this top polytechnics
1. Auchi poly
2. Ibadan poly
3. Yaba College of technology

To

1. University of Ibadan
2. O. A. U
3. Unilag/unilorin/uniben

Polytechnic should be meant for engineering courses, because I see that they beat university in terms of engineering...

But any other course is no way better...

Although the it is not certificate that matter
But the truth must be told
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Eghosagraviti(m): 11:29pm On Oct 20, 2016
Emmyboscojnr:
This is ridiculous. You are very wrong.
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by akaahs(m): 7:45am On Oct 21, 2016
[quote author=Emmyboscojnr post=27438264]j1- Jamb Cut-Off Marks on entry into a Polytechnic is Lower than that of a University.
[/quote

how can a so call graduate from a so call university say unless one graduate from the university before he/she 'll be relevant in life? That's why this country can't move forward, we keep applying theories on real life situation instead of practical application (ur finance minister).
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Temolad: 8:17am On Oct 21, 2016
Scientists Discover Some Evidences of Life after Death
In a large scale study of more than 2,000 people, British boffins confirmed that thoughts DO carry on after the heart stops.The shock research has also uncoveredthe most convincing evidence of an out of body experience for a patient declared dead.It had been believed the brain stopped all activity 30 seconds after the heart had stopped pumping blood around thebody, and that with that, awareness ceases too.However, the study from the University of Southampton shows people still experience awareness for up to three minutes after they had been pronounced dead.
Lead researcher Dr Sam Parnia said:”Contrary to perception, death is not a specific moment but a potentially reversible process that occurs after any severe illness or accident causes the heart, lungs and brain to cease functioning.”If attempts are made to reverse this process, it is referred to as ‘cardiac arrest’; however, if these attempts do not succeed it is called [url=temolad./2016/10/13/scientists-discover-some-evidences-of-life-after-death/] ...continue read here[/url]
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by xtien40: 9:56pm On Nov 25, 2016
Even d 'practicals' poly students do claim dey're doing are mere fallacy. D 'practicals' are not actually up to d way de're hyping it. Mind u, i was once a poly students so i knw wat am talking abt. You are so wrong!...Perharps you were lazy when you were in the system!.. One of those that have got no sense of direction!
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by xtien40: 10:19pm On Nov 25, 2016
xtien40:
Even d 'practicals' poly students do claim dey're doing are mere fallacy. D 'practicals' are not actually up to d way de're hyping it. Mind u, i was once a poly students so i knw wat am talking abt. You are so wrong!...Perharps you were lazy when you were in the system!.. One of those that have got no sense of direction!
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Tomskidshaw: 1:57pm On May 27, 2019
The Federal Government has been urged to grant polytechnics in the country the right to award degrees to their students, independent of universities so as to stop the discrimination between polytechnic and university graduates.
��
Re: 10 Reasons Why A Polytechnic Graduate Can Never Equate To A University Graduate. by Tomskidshaw: 2:01pm On May 27, 2019
[quote author=chibuzor05 post=27463679]I am a polytechnic graduate(though currently running a Post graduate program), i do facilitate in an over 3,000 capacity auditorium filled with Professors and all calibres of people in the field of academia, they are all rrnder a round-off aplause after each session. Op the earlier u realise that certificate ain't no education the better for you. Have you done a research and find out how many science and engineering firm do employ Bsc holders? Infact your post alone have revealed how frustrated you are....you need some better education.[/quote

Hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Facts About Korna Anongo Terhemen Who Dropped Out Of UI Medical School / Where To Get NECO Time-table? / Pastor Chris Foundation Commissions The Largest 100% Free School In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.