Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,637 members, 7,958,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:38 AM

Who Am I? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Am I? (788 Views)

Am I The Only Nigerian Who Doesn't Use Whatsapp? / Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Am I? by zboyd: 6:43am On Oct 27, 2014
On the website, Yahoo! Answers, a young man named "Jude" wonders who he really is and how to explain his heritage to other people.

He says:

"My parents were born in Nigeria but I was born in the USA. Where would I be from because, when ever I tell people where I'm from I just say here. Then the ask me where I'm REALLY from, like where my parents are from. I could say Nigerian- American but that would be long and awkward. Do I tell people I'm just from Nigeria? Because when I use to do that, people would get confused and think I was born there. I mean a Mexican person can say they are Mexican and, people won't really assume they were born in Mexico. What do I say?"

He received the following answer from a contributor named "Bob":

"You are American because you were born in America, but you have a Nigerian heritage and your ancestors are Nigerian. But you are a 100% US citizen. I think you could be classified as African American. you could tell people you are from Nigeria if it is awkward for you, but probably just tell them you're Nigerian American."

However, another contributor named "Kitty Sue" disagreed.

She said:

"If you were born in the US you are American. Period. Those people are ignorant If they ask more, you can say "I was born here but my parents are originally from Nigeria."

Which answer do you agree with - or would you answer this young man differently?
Re: Who Am I? by Networkingprof: 3:34pm On Oct 27, 2014
he should keep asking till he finds out

(1) (Reply)

Woman Hanged For Killing Man Who'tried To rape Her' Leaves Heartbreaking Message / Some Habits That Will Never Be Fully Accepted In Nigeria / What Do You Think Of Russians And Slavs In General?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.