Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ (4462 Views)

The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" / How To Manage Your Time, Self And The Interviewer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Giftedgreen: 11:49am On Oct 28, 2014
“Tell me about yourself” is a popular question that interviewers love to ask during job interviews. It seem like a very simple, but in reality it is one of the most difficult question an interview could ask you.

When the interviewer says tell me about yourself, most people tend to speedily diminish their chances of ever getting their desired job.

Most people tend to read out their bio data to the interviewers and others just say the first thing that comes to their mind.

If you do any of the above, well that explains why no one ever called you back, and shortly we will give teach you how to answer this question.

You should be able to answer this question in a way that the interviewer will have no choice than to say “tell me more”.

Keep It Short

Recruiters have short attention span. They get bored easily.

They usually interview tens of people monthly, and they need to determine if you are the right candidate or not in less than ten minutes.

Besides that, there are tons of other candidates out there who also need to be interviewed.

You see why you need to create a lasting impression.

Wasting your time blabbing about your primary school education, hobbies or town you grew up is not the best of ideas.

Be Genuine

Honesty as you may have guessed is a trait every interviewer seeks from a candidate during a job interview.

Being dishonest during a job interview shows that you really do not deserve the job, because who want to work with a dishonest person?

What The Interviewer Really Wants To Know

The phrase, “Tell me about yourself” has such a wide breath of answers that it can be overwhelming to know where to start.

While your employer would like to know you, this is not the right time to know the secondary school you graduated from. Your interviewer is currently trying to figure out if you are the right candidate for the job or not – and your critical task is showing them that you are the best person they got.

Break Your Answer Into Three Parts

To prevent your chances of sabotaging even before the interviewer get to really know you, it would be best to break down this question into three parts.

1st Part :Start with a condensed version of your career history. Need we remind you that it has to be as concise as possible?

2nd Part: Your next step of action should be a brief summary of a specific achievement to capture the interviewer’s interest.

3rd Part: Conclude with a few sentences about what you hope to accomplish next in your career – and make sure it is relevant to the position you are interviewing for.

What You Will Achieve

This response will make you stand out from the crowd.

Instead of giving the interviewer a boring overview of who you are, your hobbies, date of birth, place of birth, religion, and other details that are already in your curriculum vitae.

At the end of the interview, you will end up branding yourself as a true professional who knows the value of what you have to offer to a potential employer.

What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comment section below

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/10/28/this-is-the-best-way-to-answer-when-an-interviewer-says-tell-me-about-yourself537/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Lilimax(f): 4:21pm On Oct 28, 2014
Nice write up!.
Mynd44, Obinoscopy, kindly move this to the front page smiley
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by GetUmad: 4:37pm On Oct 28, 2014
Why the stress? It isn't as herculean as you make it, my friend!
The most concise answer is : Sir, kindly ask ifa. He's in the best position to answer you. You should note that Employers like creativity and ingenuity. Such answer is gonna wow them till the end of the interview session. Thats creativity! your level and manner of such grit would land you the job. Respond this way and thank me later.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by gift01: 5:29pm On Oct 28, 2014
Nothing like being your own Boss
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 28, 2014
Educative
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by SMALLPENIS(f): 7:03pm On Oct 28, 2014
Who is 'Yourself'? Is he/she a celebrity undecided
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by alotofgrace(m): 7:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
Lilimax:
Nice write up!.
Mynd44, Obinoscopy, kindly move this to the front page smiley

u wan do ftc bah
tongue tongue
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by vascey(m): 9:30pm On Oct 28, 2014
This is good. The structure could work.
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by fr3do(m): 9:46pm On Oct 28, 2014
*sighs* if you are good at what you do, if you have put your knowledge into use and have something to show for it, you don't need all these lists on how not to disappoint an interviewer.

5 Likes

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by valmunich(m): 10:15pm On Oct 28, 2014
Good, just good
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by kropelgrada(m): 10:41pm On Oct 28, 2014
i don't understand this post at all..if u don't tell them where u have being there is no telling where u want to be..Just try and make each detail about yourself so concise that u can simply break down the story of your life in less than a minute,then u spend the next minute trying to convince them that u are the right person for the job..,simple
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by tshegs19: 11:05pm On Oct 28, 2014
Op..gif example -_-
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by leshluap(m): 11:16pm On Oct 28, 2014
Jst In case.
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Ichel: 11:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
Nice write-up
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Lilyjane(f): 11:23pm On Oct 28, 2014
Good to go smileyGood to go
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by akinsadeez(m): 12:29am On Oct 29, 2014
Op you wrote keep it short at the beginning and later break your answer into three parts. How can you break your answer into three parts while at the same time keeping it short. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Giftedgreen: 2:22am On Oct 29, 2014
Example

“I am……” [Your profession, describe the role, or the role you would like to perform]. “I work with……” [tell the interviewer whom you support and why they need your support – use this statement to show you understand why people might need your help]

"As a [Insert your profession or any experience], I have been able to [Insert your most awesome accomplishment]"

“In fact……” [provide a quantifiable achievement to support your claim and allow the interviewer to understand what you can do for them.]

"I intend to [insert how you intend to improve yourself and/or your the business of your current employer]"

You Might Also Like . . .

How To Answer Seemingly Useless And Unimportant Questions During Job Interviews

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/10/20/how-to-answer-the-what-is-your-greatness-weakness-during-job-interviews/

How To Answer The ‘What is Your Greatness Weakness?’ Question During Job Interviews

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/10/20/how-to-answer-the-what-is-your-greatness-weakness-during-job-interviews/

1 Like

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Nobody: 3:43am On Oct 29, 2014
gift01:
Nothing like being your own Boss but entrepreneurs are so overrated. So many broke 'I am my own Boss' in existence
na wa o. Wetin bring this one come here nau? Which is better? To remain idle or get something doing no matter how small?

My uncle was mocked by relative with similar statement but today his company is rapidly expanding that he feeds over 100 mouths like the one that once mocked him.

I am not against anything... Just don't be idle. If you get a job, fine. If not, get a business or anything that will put money in your pocket.

Sometimes our talents can even be turned into a business.... There is no room for any excuses, whatsoever, why anyone shouldn't boast of at least 20k in his pocket.

Go hard or Go extinct!

1 Like

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by MikeMoses(m): 4:36am On Oct 29, 2014
When the day break I will write something.
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by emmansy(m): 7:21am On Oct 29, 2014
Be right back
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by kwhiz(m): 8:06am On Oct 29, 2014
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by chymystique(f): 9:03am On Oct 29, 2014
@Giftedgreen, that numbers 1 and 2(where the answers are broken into 3parts), I noticed its for people with prior experience.. What about those with no experience @ all??

Nice write-up anyway
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Giftedgreen: 9:12am On Oct 29, 2014
chymystique:
@Giftedgreen, that numbers 1 and 2(where the answers are broken into 3parts), I noticed its for people with prior experience.. What about those with no experience @ all??

Nice write-up anyway

If you’re a graduate you will want to use a future-focused structure “to tell me about yourself”

Again use a three part structure.

I graduated with…[describe where you graduated, or where you are about to graduate from]

I’d like to work with….[give specific detail about where you'd like to work, targeted to the employer]

In the future, I’d really like the challenge of…[ be very specific about the impact you'd like to make]

Lets say you are applying for a marketing job

You could go with something like this:

I graduated last year with a degree in marketing.

I’d like to work with a digital agency to help organisations market themselves online.

In the future, I’d really love the challenge of taking a company from nothing to becoming a major international brand.

1 Like

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Nobody: 9:34am On Oct 29, 2014
Very good, keep it up grin .

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by chymystique(f): 9:34am On Oct 29, 2014
Thanks for the informative reply Giftedgreen smiley
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Fabdedon(m): 10:03am On Oct 29, 2014
mah rush by land for site
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by haryomikun(m): 11:00am On Oct 29, 2014
SMALLPENIS:
Who is 'Yourself'? Is he/she a celebrity undecided
Idiocy in its highest order! grin grin grin
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by constance500: 1:06pm On Oct 29, 2014
In summary,.......
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by ifex370(m): 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2014
djs
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by b3llo(m): 10:00pm On Oct 29, 2014
This is it!
Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Bigdreams(m): 1:06pm On Oct 30, 2014
Nice write-up @OP.

..................................................................................

I am a professional CV and Cover Letter Writer. You can check my thread (https://www.nairaland.com/1802532/professional-cv-rewrite-corps-members) here on nairaland that shows why you need a professional CV and testimonials of individuals who have had their CV professionally crafted.

I look forward to serving you.

Joseph

Re: This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ by Missmossy(f): 7:23am On Oct 31, 2014
Nice tips!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Best Prediction And Betting Tips Website And Why? / Fundermental Of Subsea Engineering / [BREAKING] NAICOM Staff Protest Unpaid Allowances, To Commence Warning Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.