Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,972 members, 7,956,627 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:49 PM

#BringBackOurMoney - Message to Nigerian Politicians from an American Professor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #BringBackOurMoney - Message to Nigerian Politicians from an American Professor (478 Views)

Buhari Appoints Technocrats From The SS,SE And Politicians From SW / US Unveils 16 Richest Politicians From Nigeria & Names Of US Banks They Operate / Which Of These Nigerian Politicians Is The Best Dancer? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

#BringBackOurMoney - Message to Nigerian Politicians from an American Professor by Ilekokonit: 10:16pm On Oct 30, 2014
Nigerian Politicians should #BringBackOurMoney

Excerpts from a lecture under the title "The Governance Predicament : Poverty, Terrorism and Democracy" given at Freedom House, Lagos by Professor Larry Diamond - a political sociologist at Stanford University in the United States. He is also Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, and founding co-editor of the Journal of Democracy.

But the core problem in Nigeria is not one of poverty. Neither is it one of terrorism. These are manifestations of a deeper and more diffuse malignancy: bad governance.

Governance that cannot distinguish between the public trust and the private treasury.

Governance that has seen, by some estimates, public officials and their co-conspirators steal and waste hundreds of billions of dollars of the country’s wealth over the last several decades.

The core problem of Nigeria today is the chronic deficit of honest and effective governance.
When I was teaching at Bayero University, Kano, in the last year of the Second Republic, I was struck by the depth of inequality and poverty.

I would like to conclude with one final appeal. And it is addressed to my own country and to Europe, as much as to Nigeria. Whatever the total amount of money that successive generations of Nigerian politicians have embezzled and looted, some significant portion of it— probably well over $100 billion—sits outside Nigeria today in identifiable liquid and fixed assets: bank accounts, stocks, property, and other investments and luxury wealth.

We cannot bring back to life the millions of Nigerian children who have died needlessly because their government leaders were more concerned about accumulating personal wealth than ensuring that their country’s children had clean water, decent roads, adequate food, comprehensive vaccinations, and effective education.

But when the time is right, when Nigeria has a government that is serious about controlling corruption, we can help bring back as much of this stolen wealth as possible. And we can work with Nigerian government officials and civil society to help build the systems of accountability to minimize this hemorrhage of public resources in the future.

Like many people around the world, I have been deeply moved by the international campaign with the hashtag “#bringbackourgirls”. But let us use this opportunity to mobilize not only for these more than 200 abducted girls, but for the more than 2 million Nigerian girls who have died before their fifth birthday just in the last decade. I would hope in the years to come that a similar level of international outrage and commitment can be mobilized behind a broader and more transformative campaign, led by Nigerians but eliciting unprecedented international partnership: #bring back our money.

Professor Larry Diamond is a political sociologist at Stanford University in the United States. He is also Senior Fellow at the Hoover Institution, and founding co-editor of the Journal of Democracy. He gave this excerpted lecture under the title The Governance Predicament : Poverty, Terrorism and Democracy at Freedom House, Lagos.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/164182-nigeria-anatomy-of-a- feckless-state-by-larry-diamond.html

https://www.nairaland.com/1793984/nigeria-anatomy-feckless-state- larry#24378132

In other words Nigerian Politicians should #bring back our money

(1) (Reply)

Burkina Faso Government Toppled / PDP’s indecision frustrates Reps move against Tambuwal / Emir Of Kano, Sanusi Receives Seized Travel Passports From SSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.