Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? (6450 Views)

Milemaster 5w 30 Engine Oil Replacement / Mobil-1 5w20 And 5w-30 Oil / Milemaster 5w-20 and 5w-30 Oil Price Reduction On Konga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 8:43pm On Nov 22, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

From all the posts I think you are safer with mobil.

Do you mean to say that Milemaster is not a good oil?

I dont think so. Mobil is synthetic while milemaster is semi synthetic. Why would you compare them in the 1st place?

Those who experienced tapping noise from use of milemaster may have had the problem before the switch which the new lighter oil would would have made the sound more pronounced.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by talk2odim: 9:15pm On Nov 22, 2014
I believe this thread is abt personal experiences and observations so believe me bro when I tell u I didnt have the issue before and datz a fact. Like I said it was after a while I began to notice it...I would have overlooked it if not for the repeated occurrence in the avalon. This is no mere coincidence to the best of my knowledge. And do note that this is an experience with both the 5w-20 and 5w-30 on seperate vehicles.

adanny01:

Do you mean to say that Milemaster is not a good oil?

I dont think so. Mobil is synthetic while milemaster is semi synthetic. Why would you compare them in the 1st place?

Those who experienced tapping noise from use of milemaster may have had the problem before the switch which the new lighter oil would would have made the sound more pronounced.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 22, 2014
Well done ODIM. I dey your side. Good bye to Milem*ster. Over to Mobil
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by talk2odim: 9:36pm On Nov 22, 2014
I think the major issue with semi sythetic oils is the lack of info on the ratio of d sythetic to mineral content.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by talk2odim: 9:37pm On Nov 22, 2014
I think the major issue with semi sythetic oils is the lack of info on the ratio of d sythetic to mineral content.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 10:44pm On Nov 22, 2014
talk2odim:
I believe this thread is abt personal experiences and observations so believe me bro when I tell u I didnt have the issue before and datz a fact. Like I said it was after a while I began to notice it...I would have overlooked it if not for the repeated occurrence in the avalon. This is no mere coincidence to the best of my knowledge. And do note that this is an experience with both the 5w-20 and 5w-30 on seperate vehicles.

You dont get the point.

You were using thicker 20w50 oil before your switched to 5w20 or 30 which is way lighter.

Thicker oil usually reduces engine noise while thinner oils are noisy.

You cannot categorically proof that the milemaster engine oil is responsible for both engine failures when others like me succesfully used it for 3cervice.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by shamecurls(m): 12:07am On Nov 23, 2014
You will never go wrong with Mobil 1.........
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by talk2odim: 3:14am On Nov 23, 2014
On the contrary I think it is you that doesnt get my point and I am not trying to prove anything negative about milesmaster oils. The car is not that old and has only abt 72, 000 miles which I assure u the odometer has not been tampered with and it has a verifiable service history. The 20w-50 was used just for 2 months which I dont think is enough to damage d seals. I don't have any leaks and when I switched there was initially no noise, it developed over time.This is my 3rd service pack with mile master 5w-20. I intend to switch to full sythetic and most likely it would be mobil 5w-20 if I can get it to be sure it is not the oil. I am not baised cos I have also noticed benefits like d detergent and how d engine has been clean over the period with no sludge.
And I dont have and engine failures which I am not clear what you mean by that.......

uote author=adanny01 post=28265248]

You dont get the point.

You were using thicker 20w50 oil before your switched to 5w20 or 30 which is way lighter.

Thicker oil usually reduces engine noise while thinner oils are noisy.

You cannot categorically proof that the milemaster engine oil is responsible for both engine failures when others like me succesfully used it for 3cervice.[/quote]
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 7:34am On Nov 23, 2014
talk2odim:
On the contrary I think it is you that doesnt get my point and I am not trying to prove anything negative about milesmaster oils. The car is not that old and has only abt 72, 000 miles which I assure u the odometer has not been tampered with and it has a verifiable service history. The 20w-50 was used just for 2 months which I dont think is enough to damage d seals. I don't have any leaks and when I switched there was initially no noise, it developed over time.This is my 3rd service pack with mile master 5w-20. I intend to switch to full sythetic and most likely it would be mobil 5w-20 if I can get it to be sure it is not the oil. I am not baised cos I have also noticed benefits like d detergent and how d engine has been clean over the period with no sludge.
And I dont have and engine failures which I am not clear what you mean by that.....

If you complained about engine noise while using Milemaster, you are indirectly suppecting it caused your engine damage corroborated with a similar case of your friend.

As per the bolded, i have never heard that 20w50 damage seals. Besides, you didnt mention seals in your initial post.

Dont forget engine oil doesnot prevent you from engine damage no matter how good the oil is. There are several causes to engine damage while bad engine oil is one of them.

What i wanted you to understand is that 5w20 is very light oil in comparison to 20w50 and the engine noise will obviosly be there if you have a faulty engine.

I am using milemaster and am considering adjusting my valve clearance to make it quieter. The planned adjustment ia not because i want to but because it is recommended in my manual to inspect and adjust.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by talk2odim: 8:12am On Nov 23, 2014
With d way this is going I prefer to rest my case. It is left for the op to note everyone s observations. Thank u

adanny01:

If you complained about engine noise while using Milemaster, you are indirectly suppecting it caused your engine damage corroborated with a similar case of your friend.

As per the bolded, i have never heard that 20w50 damage seals. Besides, you didnt mention seals in your initial post.

Dont forget engine oil doesnot prevent you from engine damage no matter how good the oil is. There are several causes to engine damage while bad engine oil is one of them.

What i wanted you to understand is that 5w20 is very light oil in comparison to 20w50 and the engine noise will obviosly be there if you have a faulty engine.

I am using milemaster and am considering adjusting my valve clearance to make it quieter. The planned adjustment ia not because i want to but because it is recommended in my manual to inspect and adjust.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 12:23pm On Nov 23, 2014
talk2odim:
With d way this is going I prefer to rest my case. It is left for the op to note everyone s observations. Thank u

Resting ur case does not benefit anyone and most especially me and you considering this is a learning section with so many experiences shared. When you present a case, you have to do it properly to avoid misleading those who will read hoping to learn but learn misconcieved information instead.

You had already made chiebube change his mind about the oil, i myself felt a cold shiver through my spine before i had a second thought. How many people will see your unconfirmed conclusion and immediately take a decision? What if you are wrong? What if you change to mobil and your engine noise becomes worst (likely probable because engine noise does not get better, it gets worst)?

What i have tried to explain to you, you have not even considered or thought about it, instead you walk way leaving your unconfirmed infomation for all to see without a rebuttal if you were actually wrong. Mind you, its not only the op that reads this thread, others including guest will but may not comment.

The truth is that it is perfectly normal that a seemingly non problem engine may come up with one especially with a lighter oil. Using wrong or bad engine oil shortens the life span of your engine but usually not causing damage within a short period of time. And how long is the life span of and engine that 2-3 short service periods will cause a significant damage such as you are claiming. I have seen a brand new PAN Peugeot having engine failure twice within the first month of its warranty. PAN replaced the engine and later the entire vehicle after the second engine failure.

There is the story i gave above about my office cars that were last service a yr ago with conventional mobil 20w50, one car is over 20,000km now and the other almost 30,000km. I drove one recently from Uyo to Abj without stoping and blasting a/c all the way. The engines are perfect, the effect will never be immediate but the engine longevity has been affected.

I have a good report on this oil after 1year of usage, you and your friend have a bad report, you owe us more detailed information.

There is nothing personal about our conversation so no need to pick offence.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 12:56pm On Nov 23, 2014
talk2odim:

The Honda recommended 'Genuine Honda motor oil' 5w20 is semi synthetic

Honda says in the manual, 'you may use synthetic oil'.

-Honda says make sure the API Certification seal says, 'For Gasoline Engines.'
-Honda says use 5w20.

These are the main requirements, you donot have to see the mix ratio before you use because you know is semi synthetic.

Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by andre82(m): 1:30pm On Nov 23, 2014
Folks, pls what is the implication of using mobil 1 0w 40 instead of 5w 30? I've asked this question severally but no adequate reply to it. I'll like someone to shed more light upon it. Thanks
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by Burger01(m): 2:12pm On Nov 23, 2014
tsiriman:

2 weeks ago I started running Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5W30 paired with Mobil 1 extended performance filter. The sound of my 2008 honda accord has changed, the car runs much smoother and quieter. I have just done about 300 miles in 2 weeks with no short or anything. I plan to go one year or 8,000 miles, which ever comes first.

Bros go for Mobil 1 5W30 but I'd advice you pair it with a high performance filter
How much the oil plus the high performance filter? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by andre82(m): 2:42pm On Nov 23, 2014
andre82:
Folks, pls what is the implication of using mobil 1 0w 40 instead of 5w 30? I've asked this question severally but no adequate reply to it. I'll like someone to shed more light upon it. Thanks
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by talk2odim: 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2014
I would rather choose to keep mute but for the sake of posterity let reply you.
I would first advice you go back and read the thread from the beginning, itz pertinent to note that I was the 1st to comment on the topic and so far I have limited my talks to my personal experience with milemaster 5w

adanny01:

Resting ur case does not benefit anyone and most especially me and you considering this is a learning section with so many experiences shared. When you present a case, you have to do it properly to avoid misleading those who will read hoping to learn but learn misconcieved information instead.

You had already made chiebube change his mind about the oil, i myself felt a cold shiver through my spine before i had a second thought. How many people will see your unconfirmed conclusion and immediately take a decision? What if you are wrong? What if you change to mobil and your engine noise becomes worst (likely probable because engine noise does not get better, it gets worst)?

What i have tried to explain to you, you have not even considered or thought about it, instead you walk way leaving your unconfirmed infomation for all to see without a rebuttal if you were actually wrong. Mind you, its not only the op that reads this thread, others including guest will but may not comment.

The truth is that it is perfectly normal that a seemingly non problem engine may come up with one especially with a lighter oil. Using wrong or bad engine oil shortens the life span of your engine but usually not causing damage within a short period of time. And how long is the life span of and engine that 2-3 short service periods will cause a significant damage such as you are claiming. I have seen a brand new PAN Peugeot having engine failure twice within the first month of its warranty. PAN replaced the engine and later the entire vehicle after the second engine failure.

There is the story i gave above about my office cars that were last service a yr ago with conventional mobil 20w50, one car is over 20,000km now and the other almost 30,000km. I drove one recently from Uyo to Abj without stoping and blasting a/c all the way. The engines are perfect, the effect will never be immediate but the engine longevity has been affected.

I have a good report on this oil after 1year of usage, you and your friend have a bad report, you owe us more detailed information.

Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by talk2odim: 4:25pm On Nov 23, 2014
I would rather prefer to keep mute but for reasons best known to me let me respond to u. I would advice to read the thread again from the beginning and pay more attention to the topic. I was the 1st person to comment on the thread and till now i have limited my comments to my personal experience with milemaster 5w-20 and 5w-30 oils so I am still baffled why u are misrepresenting what I have said along the while. I have not stipulated the oil as being bad just my observations on 2 seperate seemingly well maintained vehicles.
I find it rather a personal attack when u then beginning to attribute wrong insinuations.
People have stated oil shortening and others even gone as far as opting and doing a comparism with mobil 1.
I further said I would change to mobil 1 5w-20 to determine if itz a result of the oil or the car. I am even thinking of 5w-30 being a bit thicker.
You should be a bit more reserved in ur insinuations cos apparently you happen to be the one sending a wrong message on my views. The op I believe is a grown person and should be able to gather data and take an informed decision......dis I believe is what is called a "statistical inference." Is milemaster a good oil.....that is not the op's question. Have u used it and what are ur experiences is more of what was asked.....and in line of that I have tailored my responses.....I would appreciate if you no longer direct your responses at me personally so dat we can all learn in a contructive manner if I switch and the same continues I would gladly return and give my experience. Thk u

adanny01:

Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 4:51pm On Nov 23, 2014
andre82:

Assume a scale of 0-100 callibrated in intervals of 10.

Your car's recommendation is at 30 but you passed that mark to 40, others have gone higher to 50. Thats how you should see it but in terms of viscousity (thickness)

To your question proper, you may lose a tiny fraction of your mileage and a little off the life span of the engine.

Since 10w40 is a little higher on the viscous scale than 5w30, the oil is thicker and less energy conserving. The engine is designed to work with 5w30 but u used a thicker oil which will be a little heavier than recommended and may not warm up as quickly during cold start while your engine runs without proper lubrication for that short time.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by andre82(m): 5:34pm On Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for the reply boss, but it's 0w to 40 not 10w 40 pls. My friend used that instead of 5w 30. He also noticed that the oil is light enough to drip down the oil dip in the mornings whenever he checks it.
adanny01:

Assume a scale of 0-100 callibrated in intervals of 10.

Your car's recommendation is at 30 but you passed that mark to 40, others have gone higher to 50. Thats how you should see it but in terms of viscousity (thickness)

To your question proper, you may lose a tiny fraction of your mileage and a little off the life span of the engine.

Since 10w40 is a little higher on the viscous scale than 5w30, the oil is thicker and less energy conserving. The engine is designed to work with 5w30 but u used a thicker oil which will be a little heavier than recommended and may not warm up as quickly during cold start while your engine runs without proper lubrication for that short time.

Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 9:57pm On Nov 23, 2014
andre82:
Thanks for the reply boss, but it's 0w to 40 not 10w 40 pls. My friend used that instead of 5w 30. He also noticed that the oil is light enough to drip down the oil dip in the mornings whenever he checks it.

In Nigeria, 0w40 and 10w40 will do perfectly well. However, back in the US and in some states and during some seasons, 10w40 may be acceptable. if you really want an all season oil, you will have to consider the 0w40 or 5w40.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by andre82(m): 10:11pm On Nov 23, 2014
^^Thanks boss.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 10:53pm On Nov 23, 2014
talk2odim:
I would rather prefer to keep mute but for reasons best known to me let me respond to u. I would advice to read the thread again from the beginning and pay more attention to the topic. I was the 1st person to comment on the thread and till now i have limited my comments to my personal experience with milemaster 5w-20 and 5w-30 oils so I am still baffled why u are misrepresenting what I have said along the while. I have not stipulated the oil as being bad just my observations on 2 seperate seemingly well maintained vehicles.
I find it rather a personal attack when u then beginning to attribute wrong insinuations.
People have stated oil shortening and others even gone as far as opting and doing a comparism with mobil 1.
I further said I would change to mobil 1 5w-20 to determine if itz a result of the oil or the car. I am even thinking of 5w-30 being a bit thicker.
You should be a bit more reserved in ur insinuations cos apparently you happen to be the one sending a wrong message on my views. The op I believe is a grown person and should be able to gather data and take an informed decision......dis I believe is what is called a "statistical inference." Is milemaster a good oil.....that is not the op's question. Have u used it and what are ur experiences is more of what was asked.....and in line of that I have tailored my responses.....I would appreciate if you no longer direct your responses at me personally so dat we can all learn in a contructive manner if I switch and the same continues I would gladly return and give my experience. Thk u

I saw your post for some time but actually got lost on how to approach you with a response since you seem to be on edge. I have tried to be plain, simple and direct but non appeals to you.

Of course you were the first person to reply the op. Of course i read that comment of yours and had no contest then and now about it. I went back to read it and actually regretted why i did not like it the first time cos if i do now, you may think its for a motive. If you noticed too that not too far behind you i also made my contribution. I have read all your comments and went back upon your request to read again. I still did not have a problem with all you said before the one i quoted you asking whether its your conclusion that Milemaster is a bad oil because from your comment that i quoted one can conclude the obvious. I was just trying to have you make a stand but you wouldn't even though your post seem to say its bad evident by the op declaring that he is no longer interested in the Milemaster.

At this point, i feel it is not too late for you to go back and reconsider my point. You said you had shortage using Milemaster, i shared the same testimony. You said that Milemaster may not be responsible for the shortage. I shared the same testimony too. You started using Milemaster in April 2014, i started January 2014 not to far off. Now it came to engine tapping noise, you related it directly to the period of milemaster usage. Thats where i have a different opinion, am i wrong to have a different opinion? All i ask is that you investigate my opinion as a possibility. Or possibly identify the related cause of the engine tapping noise. Thick oil can make valves quiet but light oil such as milemaster could make it obviously noisy and its solution is just adjustment. If you do and the result is valve clearance, then its not milemaster. Improperly set valve clearance makes a tapping noise. Adjusting valve clearance is included in a car manual as a maintenance service item to be inspected periodically. Have you ever done yours. Explore the possibly before you crucify Milemaster. Thats my point.

My manual says, inspect valve clearance and replace spark plugs after 110,000miles otherwise adjust only if noisy. My car makes noise too but i know its not milemaster but valves. I have planned that during my next service i shall contact Car Doctor who may be the best and trusted hand to open my head cover.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by talk2odim: 3:30am On Nov 24, 2014
Bro, I do get your point only pointed out that your responses were beginning to present me as one that had something against Milemaster which I dont.
And like I said my comments were about my personal experience which is a progress and not a conclusion which is why I am cosidering a change to verify d results before making a personal conclusion which like any hypothesis can be acceptable or non acceptable. If at the end of the day itz a valve clearance issue I will also be willing to have it adjusted and dont mind having car doctor's contacts too provided he is based in lagos. We are aiming for the same thing only using diff approaches. Thank u......
Mind
[quote author=adanny01 post=28292034I saw your post for some time but actually got lost on how to approach you with a response since you seem to be on edge. I have tried to be plain, simple and direct but non appeals to you.

Of course you were the first person to reply the op. Of course i read that comment of yours and had no contest then and now about it. I went back to read it and actually regretted why i did not like it the first time cos if i do now, you may think its for a motive. If you noticed too that not too far behind you i also made my contribution. I have read all your comments and went back upon your request to read again. I still did not have a problem with all you said before the one i quoted you asking whether its your conclusion that Milemaster is a bad oil because from your comment that i quoted one can conclude the obvious. I was just trying to have you make a stand but you wouldn't even though your post seem to say its bad evident by the op declaring that he is no longer interested in the Milemaster.

At this point, i feel it is not too late for you to go back and reconsider my point. You said you had shortage using Milemaster, i shared the same testimony. You said that Milemaster may not be responsible for the shortage. I shared the same testimony too. You started using Milemaster in April 2014, i started January 2014 not to far off. Now it came to engine tapping noise, you related it directly to the period of milemaster usage. Thats where i have a different opinion, am i wrong to have a different opinion? All i ask is that you investigate my opinion as a possibility. Or possibly identify the related cause of the engine tapping noise. Thick oil can make valves quiet but light oil such as milemaster could make it obviously noisy and its solution is just adjustment. If you do and the result is valve clearance, then its not milemaster. Improperly set valve clearance makes a tapping noise. Adjusting valve clearance is included in a car manual as a maintenance service item to be inspected periodically. Have you ever done yours. Explore the possibly before you crucify Milemaster. Thats my point.

My manual says, inspect valve clearance and replace spark plugs after 110,000miles otherwise adjust only if noisy. My car makes noise too but i know its not milemaster but valves. I have planned that during my next service i shall contact Car Doctor who may be the best and trusted hand to open my head cover.[/quote]
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by adanny01(m): 9:37am On Nov 24, 2014
talk2odim:
Bro, I do get your point only pointed out that your responses were beginning to present me as one that had something against Milemaster which I dont.
And like I said my comments were about my personal experience which is a progress and not a conclusion which is why I am cosidering a change to verify d results before making a personal conclusion which like any hypothesis can be acceptable or non acceptable. If at the end of the day itz a valve clearance issue I will also be willing to have it adjusted and dont mind having car doctor's contacts too provided he is based in lagos. We are aiming for the same thing only using diff approaches. Thank u......
Mind

Thank you for your understanding. Car doctor is Abuja based and there is where i am. He used to be an active member of this forum and am sure a search will get me his contacts but I know his workshop so i can stop by when am ready.
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by EniTony: 11:56am On Jul 19, 2016
could u please confirm if after readjusting your valve,the noise from your engine stopped?

Its passed a year without any comment.

Thanks
Re: Have You Used Milemaster 5w-30 Oil Before? by EniTony: 11:57am On Jul 19, 2016
Have you changed to mobil 1,any noticeable difference,its been over a year since your last comment on the issue...i must know where this story end oo grin

talk2odim:
Mind

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo Of A 48 Million Dollar Mercedes Benz.(pic) / I Want To Buy My First Car. I Need Advice. / Between 2003 Corolla And 2001 Camry, Which Is A Better Option

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.