Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,532 members, 7,954,995 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:58 PM

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People (67077 Views)

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 3:34pm On Jan 06, 2015
pazienza:

Abi LGA is in Cross rivers state. Liyel Imoke is from there, they have towns like Itigidi, Igbo Ekureku there.

Their language is called Agbo/Legbo, it sounds pretty much like Igbo, but strain your ears as much as you can, you can't even understand a single word of what they are saying, yet it sounds Igbo. They use to be in Afikpo division of the Eastern region.

Some of their names sound Igbo, yet their language is not even Igboid. So strange I tell you.

Once met one of them in Aba, she claims that learning Igbo language is easy for an Agbo/Legbo person, cos of some similarities.

I have been and stayed in abikiliki also and I stayed for three months but I couldn't understand what they were saying coming from Nnewi ..will you say that they are not igbo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Ihuomadinihu: 3:37pm On Jan 06, 2015
pazienza:

Abi LGA is in Cross rivers state. Liyel Imoke is from there, they have towns like Itigidi, Igbo Ekureku there.

Their language is called Agbo/Legbo, it sounds pretty much like Igbo, but strain your ears as much as you can, you can't even understand a single word of what they are saying, yet it sounds Igbo. They use to be in Afikpo division of the Eastern region.

Some of their names sound Igbo, yet their language is not even Igboid. So strange I tell you.

Once met one of them in Aba, she claims that learning Igbo language is easy for an Agbo/Legbo person, cos of some similarities.

My bad,i was suppossed to write Abi of Cross rivers. Anyway,the legbo thing tire me. I was informed that Imoke does not see himself as an Igbo man. Is just fascinating how igbo features can be found in non South east groups.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 3:38pm On Jan 06, 2015
zimoni:

Amen. This year shall be a fulfilled one.

All the best.

I love your spirit

We shall prosper

Ijn
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 3:39pm On Jan 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

My bad,i was suppossed to write Abi of Cross rivers. Anyway,the legbo thing tire me. I was informed that Imoke does not see himself as an Igbo man. Is just fascinating how igbo features can be away from the South east.

He is doing so for political expediency.. he used to and how will see himself as Igbo
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 3:41pm On Jan 06, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

My bad,i was suppossed to write Abi of Cross rivers. Anyway,the legbo thing tire me. I was informed that Imoke does not see himself as an Igbo man. Is just fascinating how igbo features can be found in non South east groups.

Liyel Imoke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liyel_Imoke
Mobile-friendly - Liyel Imoke is an Igbo from Agbo Clan in Abi Local Government Area of Cross River State. His father, Dr. Samuel Imoke was a medical doctor who became a cabinet minister and leader of Parliament in the former Eastern Region. Liyel Imoke was born on 10 July 1961 at Ibadan in the then Western Region of Nigeria.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 06, 2015
I'm very familiar with northern Ebonyi. And i know there are Izzi and Ikwo spillovers in Benue and the Ogoja axis in Cross River state. Ogoja town itself, however, has no Igbo indigenes. When i said Sunny Neji was from Ogoja, I meant the town, not the axis.

BTW, I did a quick search of Frank Nneji and it appears he is from Mbaise.

tonychristopher:

If you have been to abakiliki and towards ogoja which I doubt you have been to ..you will understand that we have Igbo speaking clans in ogoja around itigidi axis so I talk what I know

Mind you not all ogoja are Igbo but we have Igbo speaking clans ..minute anyway just like in Benue

Pls do not misunderstand me

If I were you ..why don't you do the research on the name nneji before jumping into conclusion
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Ihuomadinihu: 3:54pm On Jan 06, 2015
At the end of the day,am not really concerned with who identifies as Igbo or not. Am more interested in similarities/kinship between Igbos and their Akwa/Cross rivers brothers. What i saw on Tv was too real, a non Nigeria would simply call them Igbos. Few months back,i read about an Igbo woman who left her father's house to establish Yala/Yakkur. We are very related in the South,irrespective of whatever ethnic group you choose to belong to.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Ihuomadinihu: 4:01pm On Jan 06, 2015
Where are people from Bekwarra,Ugep, Ogoja, Abi lga, Ika lga etc. They can give us first hand information on this issue. Unfortunately,they have no presence on this forum. Nna eh!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jan 06, 2015
dtito:
pl

cool article i guess am learning from it tanks...
please i need the map kif u can provide it bro thanks my email dunagha@gmail.com
You mean the true extent of Igboland? I advice you ask Pazienza or Balkan. I have on numerous occasions come across such maps here on nairaland.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jan 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

I have been and stayed in abikiliki also and I stayed for three months but I couldn't understand what they were saying coming from Nnewi ..will you say that they are not igbo

This issue goes beyond mutual intelligibility which everyone knows is something the Igbo dialects do not always have.

If you collect wordlists of basic terms in Ezza, Ikwerre, Ika, Izzi, etc and compare them with your own Anambra dialect, the similarities immediately strike you; you'll immediately know you are dealing with cognate tongues.

But if compare the wordlists with basic terms in Legbo, it will quickly dawn on you that you are dealing with a very separate language.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 4:19pm On Jan 06, 2015
Every Yoruba or Hausa child you ask about his origin will tell you about Oduduwa and Abuyazid respectively, and also tell you where they migrated from. On the contrary, an Igbo man or woman will know who colonized America, where the people came from but is ignorant of the origin of the Igbo people. Worst of all, our so-called great historians are yet to reach agreement on the origins of the Igbo people. Some of them even went as far as accepting the white man’s distortion of Igbo spellings like Awkuzu (Okuzu), Onitsha (Onicha) etc. Our people are not yet ready to sit up and work. This attitude has led to three different schools of thought as regards the Igbo origin.

One school upholds the Igbo homeland hypothesis. They maintained that the areas identified as the primary core of the Igboland comprises Nri-Oka, Olu, Owerre and parts of Okigwe. They claim that it was from the heartland mentioned above that different people migrated to various present day Igbo.

It is unfortunate that the Aro people subscribe to this view. They forget that what we have is the “Eri-aka in Aguleri till date and not Nri-oka. They also forget that the Aro were unknown in history until the era of the Atlantic slave trade due to the regrettable role they played as middlemen.
According to Idigo A.C., the Aro claim to have been founded in a meeting place between the Igbo and the Ibibio. If the Aro was founded at a meeting place between the Igbo and the Ibibio, it then means that the Igbo nation already exist before the emergence of the Aro. Surely, no son begets the first son before his father.

Another school of thought traces Igbo origins to the Niger/Benue confluence. In other words the Igbo migrated from the said area. The attribution of Igbo origin to this area is mainly based on the linguistic theory that all who use the kwa language like the Igbo, Yoruba, Idoma etc are from the same area. This theory is no longer tenable. In fact it is dying gradually.

A third and probably the most popular school of thought is that which holds the Eastern hypothesis which suggests that the Igbo people migrated from the East. 

They identify the lost tribe of Israel with the Igbo people. Thus Ezeala, J.O.C. Asserts that “the Igbo are a section of the tribe of Juda who in 718 B.C. left Israel when idolatory was imposed on the Israelites by king Salmauazar of Assyria. They left for unknown destination in search of a place to worship the One, True, Holy God and in 638B.C. Arrived in this part of Nigeria where we now live”.
As recently as October 10, 1995 some Israeli officials paid a two-day visit to the ancient town of Aguleri in search of the lost tribe of Israel (Eri) who was supposed to be the fifth son of Gad, the son of Jacob. These visitors were taken round the town. They said that most of our customs and the names of certain monuments were similar to theirs. Special mention was made of the Obuga in Aguleri which they have and called Obugad in Israel. This is a place built by Eri in order to immortalize the name of his father Gad. This palace is in Aguleri till date. You can visit Aguleri during the greatest festival in Aguleri called Ovala. This visit made by the people of Israel added credence to the above school. The Ndigbo therefore are the Jews in diaspora.

The children of Nsugbe, Igbariam, Amanuke and Nteje also migrated to their present sites. Agulu got married and had three sons namely Anumagana, Ezunnukwu and Ezi. Their offspring inhabited present day Aguleri.

Geographical Location of Aguleri
Aguleri is one of the largest town in the old Anambra State, situated at the bank of the river Omabala (Anambra), about 32 kilometres by the shortest land route to Onitsha. The land is low lying. In the rainy season, the Omabala floods its banks to the extent of many kilometers depositing alluvial soil resulting in the great fertility of the soil.

The climate is hot and has its hottest period in the month of March while the coldest in December. The heaviest rainfall occurs in the months of June and early July. The vegetation is well distributed along the Omabala river, other streams and lakes thus make available to the town tall gigantic trees which supply sticks for building houses, farming and fuel for cooking.

Apart from the above, there are tall coarse grass that are found in the town. It is then not surprising that big animals like monkeys and snakes roam in the forest while antelopes and cutting-grass which are preyed upon by stronger animals inhabit the grassland, for instance, during the flood of 1994, an elephant was killed in Aguleri.

Occupation of the People
Aguleri people are farmers, hunters and fishermen. They cultivate in great quantities crops like yam, cassava, maize, coco-yam, potato, groundnut, rice, tomatoes etc. the flooding of the bank of the river Omabala and other lakes create a natural manure for cultivation.
Also the presence of the river Omabala, stream and lakes give the town big opportunity to fish along them. Also there are ponds owned by families and individuals from where people fish.

What is Ovo (Ofo)?
Ovo is a symbol of authority, justice and power. Ovo could be a tangible material or a non-tangible material. Thus Idigo, A.C. remarks, Ofo is a stick handed to a king or a leader as a staff of office. It is given to who ever is to possess it with much ceremony, which depicts the collective trust and confidence of the entire group or town being placed at the disposal of one individual. Whoever is to handle it must be a respected man who enjoys a commanding influence in the town. Ofo is an ancestral symbol of truth and justice.

No meaningful ceremony takes place without Ovo, be it in Christian circle or in civil society. Before a Bishop is to serve the people of God, he is given a staff (Crozier) Mt. 16.16. A president of a nation, a state governor or even a council chairman take oath of office etc. that Crozier and the oath taking are all Ovo.
In Igbo traditional setup ovo is consulted before any serious decision is made. This explains why no Nri man could be crowned Eze without coming to Aguleri to make consultations and find out if he is the right person, after which Aguleri hands the Ovo which Eri left to the care of Agulu to such a person, he goes home happily and becomes the Eze of Nri. The present Eze of Nri did it.
Like I said earlier Ovo could be spiritual and not necessarily a stick. Thus Ejizu records that Ofo is the symbol of truth, justice, power of leadership, freedom, prayer that reaches God’s ear, reserved power for man and strength in kinsmen. Thus when an Igbo man says “Ejikwe m Ovo” it means that he has said all the truth, he is innocent. He has no power therefore God becomes his strength. In this case ovo becomes a total surrender to a superior power.

Origin of Ovo (Ofo)
Ovo like I said is a symbol of truth, authority, dependence etc.
When Eri had settled in the present day Aguleri, he built an altar within his camp in Eri-aka. The altar was where he went often to say thanks to Jahweh the God of his fathers. Before he died, he instructed his sons who were under the headship of Agulu to erect another altar. His instruction was like that of Jesus Christ. The sons built a temple called Obuga in honour of their grandfather. He also handed to his first son Agulu the staff of authority, which was kept in Obuga thus the origin of ovo in Igboland. 
Today, the people of Aguleri go to Obuga for a very serious meeting, where it is believed that the ovo lies and at such meetings, one must speak with the Ojii in one’s hand. The Ojii stands as the visible Ovo and would strike one who tells lies at Obuga. So Agulu inherited the Ovo from his father Eri.

Kinds of Ovo (Ofo)
There are numerous kinds of ovo, but I will mention here the best known and most used in Igboland. Some Ovo are tangible while some are not. Some have other things that stand for them for instance the Ojii is a visible sign of the non-tangible Ovo.

Natural Ovo:
This came into existence by nature. It belongs to the tangible Ovo family. It’s component are the Ovo tree (Osisi Ovo). Here Ogilisi, Anunuebe and Ogbu trees come to mind.

Institutional Ovo:
This is a non-tangible Ovo. This Ovo is owned by every society, institutions, and communities. This is the Ovo that Christ handed to the Apostles through Peter.

The progenitor of the Igbo race Eri handed this Ovo to Agulu the first son. It is this very ovo that the people of Nri come to Aguleri their ancestral home to collect before any Eze.

The following ruled Aguleri, Ennini, Nsugbe, Aladina, Ezem, Uga, Ezeora, Nonshiliobu, Doga, Ezepuome, Utulukpo, Akidi, Nwaezeokpala, Nkwukwu, Gbujuo, Ezemali, Aguve, Ogodugbo IIonwagu, Ogbuevi, Chinweze, Atuegu Dibieolome, Okolo, IIora, Kwutubum, Mbam, 
Onyedeve, Nwaezeopala, Chizor who was crowed in 1820 and finally Ekwuo who was crowed as a rival king to Chizor. 
After the mysterious death of the last two Eze in 1880 the Ovo was kept at the Obuga. Aguleri people reverted to governance by Ndichie (council of elders). This form of rulership lasted for years until the rise to power by Onyekomolo Idigo 1840-1910).

The European encroachment on the Niger, the military aggression that resulted from the bid of the then Royal Niger company to expand its operations and the activities of the Christian missionaries not only helped to consolidate the reign of Ogbuanyinya Idigo as the natural leader of Aguleri but extended his power and influence to far and beyond.

On the death of Ogbuanyinya Idigo, the elders of Aguleri resolved in consideration of his enormous contributions to Aguleri, to crown one of his children as the Eze of Aguleri, thus Nwanne (1900-1910), one of his sons was presented with the Ovo-eze in accordance with Aguleri tradition. Thus he became Eze Idigo I. After the demise of Eze Nwanne, Raphael Anakwuba Idigo (1910-1960) was given the ovo as Eze Idigo II. When he died, the people of Aguleri handed the Ovo to Eze Alphonsus Ezeudu Idigo (1960-1995) finally Eze C.N. Idigo R. (1995 till date) was enthroned.

Ovo Alusi:
This Ovo varies from one community to another. The holder of this usually is a chief priest to a deity. So each community can have as many Ovo Alusi as there are deities in the community.

Family Ovo:
This is the Ovo that is owned by a family both extended and nuclear families. The Ovo is usually under the custody of the eldest man of the family. Family meetings are held in the man’s house hence the Ovo dwells there. Again it is believed that the eldest man communes with the ancestors. This family Ovo is the staff of office of the eldest man.
This Ovo unlike in some parts of Igboland where institutional Ovo is bought, family Ovo is not bought, it is rather hereditary. At the death of the family head who was the holder of the family Ovo, the next in rank takes over. Thus Metuh remarks, nobody can posses an Ofo in the life time of his master.

Ovo Obodo:
Here, ovo is personified. In this case, a person becomes an Ovo for the community. He must be the oldest man in the community. This is common in Aguleri. When such a person joins his ancestors, the next oldest becomes the Ovo. His longevity is seen as God’s blessing. People go to him for oral history, narrations, etc. In Aguleri today, Ogbuanyinya Anago Akwuobi born in 1907 is the Ovo Obodo. He prays over kola-nut in any gathering of the people. He is seen as being very close to the ancestors. His words in any matter are final. He is called Okpala Aguleri.

Uses of Ovo
The holder of an Ovo is the eyes of the gods in African traditional religion and must be consulted before any major decision is taken. For instance the Ovo Obodo Aguleri, and the custodian of Ibobo must be consulted before any war is embarked upon by Aguleri people.

In the Catholic Church, the lay consults the Priest who in turn consults the bishop who consults the Pope. These are all Ovo in different guises. 
Thus Ejizu remarks, Ofo serves in most religious contexts as medium of communication with the transcendent. It means that ovo signifies in religion the relationship between man here on earth and the unseen powers.
Ovo is also used in covenant (Igba ndu). Covenant is an undertaking between two or more persons so that nobody is afraid of the other. The people in question stretch their hands towards the Ovo and say whatever they agree upon.

In socio-ethical contexts, Nwaorgu remarks, Ofo is used as sacred sanction in all important meetings of a group attesting to the truth affirming one’s innocence and sincerity, punishment of offending members of the group through cursing, denial of rights, ostracizing and expulsion, coronation of Ezes, Ozors etc. Traditional naming ceremony, covenant, relationships including marriage, settlement of disputes and determination of age seniority and community leadership.

As a matter of fact, Nwaorgu gave a wonderful resume on the uses of ovo. It means that Ofo serves as a multi-purpose symbol.
Ovo on the political role serves as a mandate for leadership, it empowers a person above others. One can then be authorized to make promulgation of liturgical and agricultural seasons as well as major events of the year. Here one thing that comes to mind is the Isato Umuekete’s proclamations.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 4:22pm On Jan 06, 2015
Radoillo:

This issue goes beyond mutual intelligibility which everyone knows is something the Igbo dialects do not always have.

If you collect wordlists of basic terms in Ezza, Ikwerre, Ika, Izzi, etc and compare them with your own Anambra dialect, the similarities immediately strike you; you'll immediately know you are dealing with cognate tongues.

But if compare the wordlists with basic terms in Legbo, it will quickly dawn on you that you are dealing with a very separate language.

So in a nutshell are you saying izzi and agbo or legbo as people will say is not Igbo

What I know is that I respect your position on Igbo cultural matters and I have come to admire that but we need to know that there are igbo clan that spilled over in ogoja just like we have Igbo clans that spilled over in Edo and bayesla areas

Do we agree on this
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 06, 2015
pazienza:

My brother, the Legbo thing don tire me. I am tired of second hand info coming out from there.

I plan personally visiting Legbo area sometime this year, to get first hand info from the natives.

The second hand info I have been getting is too divergent.
Hi Pazienza. Please can you post the link and if possible the map that shows the true extent of Igboland. Some persons have requested for it here on this thread.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 06, 2015
Izzi is Igbo, yes. Agbo/Legbo is not, no.

I've admitted that there are Izzi/Ikwo spillovers in both Cross River and Benue. Ogoja however is not an Igbo town. The confusion here is that while I'm talking about the town itself, you appears to be talking about the area surrounding the town - the axis.

Yes, I know about the Ika group in Edo; and yes, I've heard there is an Ukwuani enclave in Bayelsa.
tonychristopher:

So in a nutshell are you saying izzi and agbo or legbo as people will say is not Igbo

What I know is that I respect your position on Igbo cultural matters and I have come to admire that but we need to know that there are igbo clan that spilled over in ogoja just like we have Igbo clans that spilled over in Edo and bayesla areas

Do we agree on this
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by pazienza(m): 4:36pm On Jan 06, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/2052591/biafra-attends-au-meeting-nairobi

The map posted by Cheruv there, and not the one by Ngwakwe.

That Cheruv map I believe was actually constructed by a nairalander with Ezeagu moniker, a proud Anioma son.

https://www.nairaland.com/500126/true-extent-alaigbo-igboland/64

I guess when Republic of Igboland comes to reality,history would remember
Ezeagu.
http://wicfoundationinc.org/index.php?pr=The_Igbo_of_Nigeria
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 4:39pm On Jan 06, 2015
Radoillo:
Izzi is Igbo, yes. Agbo/Legbo is not, no.

I've admitted that there are Izzi/Ikwo spillovers in both Cross River and Benue. Ogoja however is not an Igbo town. The confusion here is that while I'm talking about the town itself, you appears to be talking about the area surrounding the town - the axis.

Yes, I know about the Ika group in Edo; and yes, I've heard there is an Ukwuani enclave in Bayelsa.

I have never said ogoja is Igbo and I will never say that what I was looking at is the spill over of Igbo in those area
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 4:44pm On Jan 06, 2015
Radoillo:
I'm very familiar with northern Ebonyi. And i know there are Izzi and Ikwo spillovers in Benue and the Ogoja axis in Cross River state. Ogoja town itself, however, has no Igbo indigenes. When i said Sunny Neji was from Ogoja, I meant the town, not the axis.

BTW, I did a quick search of Frank Nneji and it appears he is from Mbaise.

It was a typo frank nneji is the ABC transport CEO
Sunny nneji is the musician

We need to know the meaning of nneji in that ogoja axis
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by pazienza(m): 5:02pm On Jan 06, 2015
Chiwude:
Hi Pazienza. Please can you post the link and if possible the map that shows the true extent of Igboland. Some persons have requested for it here on this thread.

Nwannaa, I have done as you requested. The map would need some little adjustments in the future, but is the most accurate map for now.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 5:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
omonuan:

Since your tribe do not like money, I pray that God reward the Igbo with money and deny all those that claim that only Igbo love money. May this 2015 bring more money to the Igbo and pauperize those Nigerians that falsely claim they do not love money. All my Igbo brothers let me hear an Igbotic Amen!
Otua

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by zendy: 5:11pm On Jan 06, 2015
2undeajigs:
Igbo people are true Nigerians like any other nation(or Tribes) in our great country. It's time to quite all xenophobia and Negative stereotypes perpetrated against Them. I acknowledge they contribute alot to this country culturally ,economically and in all other aspect so we should all appreciate that. & yep, As a Yoruba man, i won't mind seeing an Igbo person(male/female) in Aso rock in the nearest future. Its time for Nigerians to grow up and understand we're all in this together.

Wake up from your dream,we have never been in this together. The Igbos fought a war so as not to be in "this together". Nigeria is an identity forced on the Igbo man by the British. Let's not kid our selves that Hausa,Yoruba and Igbo love each other. We can't stand each other! So as an Igbo man,my first allegiance is to the Igbo nation. After that, I'll take a look at Nigeria.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 5:19pm On Jan 06, 2015
babosky2008:
u missed so many points abt d igbos....they are the greatest drug traffickers in d world....greatest kidnappers in Nigeria. ....greatest pirates in d world. ....greatest ritualists in d world....great armed robbers in Nigeria. .....greatest traitors in Nigeria. ...greatest tresspassers in Nigeria. ....greatest 419ners in d world. ....greatest fraudulent pple in d world. ....u missed all dz...

You are a mistake . The funding for your education should have been used to open a brothel

Inferior one
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 5:23pm On Jan 06, 2015
lacasera14:
Hehe, i don't know where the Op and the main Op got there info from. Am an ikwerre boy from rivers state as far as am concerned am not an igbo man and i'll never be, same to my children and even to my 10th generation. The igbo's should get this into their head and wrap it well, we a'int part of you guys what is hard there to understand. K, fine we were once with you guys but things went south(biafra war) and we gained our independence,chased, disowned, and severed ties with you guys so let us be. Why our forefathers did this i don't know but am pretty sure it was for our good. So when we say we are not igbos leave us alone else it might precipitate an unhealthy situation. So get that history of yours about ikwerre's being part of igbo and shove it up your bottoms.
Proudly Ikwerre
Proudly A PH BOY
Proudly Rivers- The oil and gas hub of Africa's most populous nation grin

Who needs a kiakia lazy touting ikwerre boy like you..we are to dominate you..my ikwerre boy
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 5:28pm On Jan 06, 2015
lacasera14:
Hehe, i don't know where the Op and the main Op got there info from. Am an ikwerre boy from rivers state as far as am concerned am not an igbo man and i'll never be, same to my children and even to my 10th generation. The igbo's should get this into their head and wrap it well, we a'int part of you guys what is hard there to understand. K, fine we were once with you guys but things went south(biafra war) and we gained our independence,chased, disowned, and severed ties with you guys so let us be. Why our forefathers did this i don't know but am pretty sure it was for our good. So when we say we are not igbos leave us alone else it might precipitate an unhealthy situation. So get that history of yours about ikwerre's being part of igbo and shove it up your bottoms.
Proudly Ikwerre
Proudly A PH BOY
Proudly Rivers- The oil and gas hub of Africa's most populous nation grin

Tell me what you Igbo denials has made you

Now we drill and manage your oil

OK let's bring it home

Tell me one ikwerre man that owns an oil exploration firm and I will give you two from my immediate village

Tell me one main streams oil marker in the whole ikwerre ..I will give you two from my immediate village in Nnewi

Tell me one industrialist of reroute in the whole ikwerre

I will give you four in my small village

Now the kiakia you drink we make

You have lost pH you know

Now go and die

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by zendy: 5:28pm On Jan 06, 2015
tonychristopher:

The Abakiliki/Izzi/Ezza/Ikwo type of Igbo are the hardest to understand. Their dialects sounds very tough on the ears but they are 100% Igbo just like you and I from Anambra. Next time you are there,just tell them you are finding it difficult to understand them and they will switch to Central Igbo. But if you try to follow their dialect,you will be as lost as I was the first time I went to Izzi.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 5:31pm On Jan 06, 2015
kellystech:
meka si wene

No leave your brother to fool around ..we know them
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by zendy: 5:40pm On Jan 06, 2015
I wonder if someone from Kwale can be considered to be Igbo or Delta-Igbo I have been told that they are Urohbos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 5:57pm On Jan 06, 2015
uchennamani:
In Igbo language, we have a name for people like you. We call them Ndi Iberibe. The name can be likened to a man that sold his matchet and went to war with the sheath.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 06, 2015
pazienza:

Nwannaa, I have done as you requested. The map would need some little adjustments in the future, but is the most accurate map for now.
Thanks very much.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 6:13pm On Jan 06, 2015
zendy:
I wonder if someone from Kwale can be considered to be Igbo or Delta-Igbo I have been told that they are Urohbos

Correction ..kwale is the anglicised version the real name is ukwuani and due to the fact that oyibo couldn't call it they used kwale and it stuck just like Onitsha for onicha ..ibusa for igbuzor

Ukwuani is igbo
They have their kin oguta imo state
My wife is from there

Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 6:15pm On Jan 06, 2015
zendy:

The Abakiliki/Izzi/Ezza/Ikwo type of Igbo are the hardest to understand. Their dialects sounds very tough on the ears but they are 100% Igbo just like you and I from Anambra. Next time you are there,just tell them you are finding it difficult to understand them and they will switch to Central Igbo. But if you try to follow their dialect,you will be as lost as I was the first time I went to Izzi.

Thanks

I was incommunicado for 3 months

Igbo is diverse

Ukwuani and etche is easier

But abakiliki and nsukka

Hmmmm
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by fyomer: 8:39pm On Jan 06, 2015
[size=16pt]I LEARNT THAT EQITORIA GUNIEA HAS IBOS.I WILL REALLY LIKE TO KNOW THEIR HISTORY.[/size]
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Ihuomadinihu: 8:56pm On Jan 06, 2015
zendy:
They are not Urhobo or whatever. They are Igbos or Anioma igbos. Uti Nwachukwu of the BBA fame is from that area,he speaks Igbo and identifies as Igbo.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Emir Of Kano, Ado Bayero To Marry Ex-Girlfriend, Hajiyayye (Photo) / Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.