Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Interesting Facts About The Igbo People - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People (66062 Views)

Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by fyomer: 8:57pm On Jan 06, 2015
I NOTICED THEY ARE HIGHLY ENVIED.IN RIVER STATE YOU HARDLY FIND ANY COMPOUND THAT HASNT ANY IBO WOMAN AS A GREAT OR GRAND MOTHER,I GUESS THEN MARRYING AN IBO WOMAN WAS LIKE MARRYING AN AMERICAN.I SUSPECT THIS CREATED A LOT OF ENVY AND DISUNITY AMONGST THEM,COUPLE WITH THE FACT THAT THE IBO MEN ARE DOMINATING AND THEIR WOMEN ARE BEGINIG TO FALL FOR THEM EASILY,YET THE IBO MEN ARE PLAYING THEIR GAMES,CAUSE THEY HARDLY MARRY THE WOMEN.
THIS COULPE WITH FEW OTHER THINGS CAUSED THE RIVERS ESPECIALLY THE IKWERE'S TO DISLIKE THE IBOS A GREAT.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Ihuomadinihu: 9:01pm On Jan 06, 2015
fyomer:
[size=16pt]I LEARNT THAT EQITORIA GUNIEA HAS IBOS.I WILL REALLY LIKE TO KNOW THEIR HISTORY.[/size]
There are Igbos in EQ.Guinea. There are three sources of Igbo presence in that country. A. Aro/Igbo traders. B. Biafran refugges. C. Plain migration.
Google would be of much help to you.

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by fyomer: 9:20pm On Jan 06, 2015
herinolah:
Nice post....but dat still won't make me like dem
Igbo people are so so desperate for money..80% is ritual,15% prostitution and making fake things just 5% is clean money from hardwork

And they have some stupid cultures dat should not be heard of..maybe because most of them are not literate...they nearly killed my sis when she got married to an igbo guy..

They got married 2007 but the guy didn't take her home even after 4 kids,my sis should av suspected that there must be something wrong with his family..but she was thinking maybe he is "akudaya"..so she pestered him to take her home..when they got to the place she was welcomed grandly..they had a great feast for her and her kids..then they gave her money to go and buy something from the market,when she got there she started pricing things she wanted to buy..as an ijebu woman she can price ehn,she got to a place and just spoke her language she said (urun ma won bewe)things are costly here oo ..dat was when an ijebu lady dat came to sell things there asked her what she was doing there dat there is a mark on her and the mark is given to any lady they want 2 kill. she explained everything to her and the lady helped her escape...she got a divorce when the guy came back with just 2kids

Then he explained everything to her,dat it is their culture(can u imagine what kind of stupid culture is dat)..dats y he didn't want 2 take her home

Av never heard a good story about igbos,only bad and scary ones,

Igbos ehn I dislike them like shit,I hardly make friends with them,they scare me..they can do anything 4 money

[size=15pt]CHARCOAL CALLING POT BLACK.IJEBU FOR THAT MATTER[/size]
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 06, 2015
fyomer:
[size=16pt]I LEARNT THAT EQITORIA GUNIEA HAS IBOS.I WILL REALLY LIKE TO KNOW THEIR HISTORY.[/size]

Igbos in E. Guinea are largely found in the island of Fernando Po where they make up 7% of the population.

Some of the earliest Igbos there were Igbo Recaptives returning from Sierra Leone in the 19th century. They have now dissolved into the island's Krio population.

The vast majority of the Igbos there, though (and the ones who have retained their Igbo identity) arrived there in the 20th century as migrant labourers.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by fairheven: 10:41pm On Jan 06, 2015
Zoharariel:
@OP - I have 4 questions for you & your people.

1.) If the Igboland is not landlocked; Y can't Igbo business men be shipping & clearing their containers at Anambra, Onitsha or even Enugu through the so-called Uguta Lake instead of.

Gracias!
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by fairheven: 10:42pm On Jan 06, 2015
Zoharariel:
@OP - I have 4 questions for you & your people.

1.) If the Igboland is not landlocked; Y can't Igbo business men be shipping & clearing their containers at Anambra, Onitsha or even Enugu through the so-called Uguta Lake instead of.

Gracias!

Most of your questions and these in particular,is borne out of myopic reasoning and deep hatred for the Ibo nation,ever had of the suez canal?that is man-made sea-port,Switzerland is landlocked country,but in your widest imagination,can you compare Nigeria's economy with that of Switzerland?that simply tells you that the problem of not having a seaport in the south East has nothing to with landlocked or not,its simply a failure of leadership.secondly its political gimmick..as they don't want the south east to be totally independent of the lagos port.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 12:17am On Jan 07, 2015
Let's assume that Igbo is not littoral ..what has it got to do with develop

Lagos and Nigeria with
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Adeyinka12(m): 12:19am On Jan 07, 2015
Lilimax:
Bikonu umu Igbo, ebekwa ka onye a nuwa si? @ poster, you need to take it easy. Your sisters case may be a one off thing. Sorry about the incident. Btw, why should your sister get married to a man and even had kids for him without knowing where he came from? Strange if I may say
see man ,my mathematics teacher even told us something like this,he said when he went to serve at igbo land at #ngeb .he said those people there are carnivouros ,any strangers come there are slaugted ,he even told us that they prefare humanbeing meat than that of animal ,if not for the help of the solder ,he would have forget of coming to this earth.# i don't like igbos

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Aldrickay: 2:05am On Jan 07, 2015
pazienza:
When we say that Enugu belongs to Ndiigbo, we mean to say that Enugu belongs to Igbos of Enugu origin( the Amechi, Nike and Ugwuaji people) and because these people are Igbos, the rest of Igbo nation can take pride in Enugu.

When Ndiigbo say that PH belongs to Ndiigbo, we mean to say that Ph belongs to Igbos of PH origin, who in this case are Ikwerres, and through them, the rest of Igbo nation can take pride in PH.

Why some people fail to understand this simple concept is still surprising to me.

No Igbo man would give up his hometown to claim anothers hometown, no Igboman would want to be buried any other place other than his hometown, no matter how remote his hometown might be.

But we ikwerres are not igbo, so hw wil ur igbo brodas take pride in port harcourt?
Jst to let u knw sha, Port harcourt is not igboland but ikwerre land. tnx 4 reading.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by irokop(m): 2:33am On Jan 07, 2015
Aldrickay:

But we ikwerres are not igbo, so hw wil ur igbo brodas take pride in port harcourt?
Jst to let u knw sha, Port harcourt is not igboland but ikwerre land. tnx 4 reading.

ISi adigh gi mma in short Uche koro gi, when you get home try ask your father or mother to tell u the truth Infact beg them for it tell them not to lie to you.

Pls if I may ask why didn't OP include ibibio efik anan, ijaw Benin ppl and other suburbs as part of Igbo land?

You ppl needs reorientation, cos of Biafra war cos you guys was very scared of fighting for ur right that's u are deniying ur father, it's very unfortunate that u ppl say Malams no get sense but they are the ones remoting u guys what ever they tell u to do u make sure u do it cos u be mumu, they will soon tell u that ur great grand father is Fulani and u will accepts it, ewu.

I'm from mbaise tomorrow I will tell my children that I'm not Igbo God forbid it.

Your intelligent men and women knows thier root while some fools like u refused to see beyond ur Norse , go and ask peter odili my inlaw he will tell u better, beef are you better than Igbos Frm others states? Wisdom is always too far to a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiG fooooooooool.

5 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by zendy: 1:06pm On Jan 07, 2015
Could it be the "politics of oil" that has made the modern day Ikwere man deny being Igbo? It's a tough sell that they have Chibuike Amaechi, Nyesom Wike(Nwike) and even the president of 'Ogbakor Ikwere' Augunstine Onyeozu and yet,someone will say these are not Igbo names.

5 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by macof(m): 3:48pm On Jan 07, 2015
illicit:

yes, but actually am a linguistic student, there are language groups and then lang families, if igede and idoma are idomoid and closer to igbo language, what if i now tell you that igbo language and yoruba language belong to the same family - KWA language family. Even tho laymen cant clearly see the similarities btw them

Sorry but I don't quite get the point of this post.
I think you agree Idoma and Yoruba have very little in common? At least far less than the Idoma-Igbo
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nimen(m): 7:56pm On Jan 07, 2015
Adeyinka12:
see man ,my mathematics teacher even told us something like this,he said when he went to serve at igbo land at #ngeb .he said those people there are carnivouros ,any strangers come there are slaugted ,he even told us that they prefare humanbeing meat than that of animal ,if not for the help of the solder ,he would have forget of coming to this earth.# i don't like igbos

one... Your English sucks
two... There's no place in igboland called ngeb
three... Your mathematics teacher is as clueless as GEJ
four... If you hate igbos... why?

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 07, 2015
Nimen:

The ngeb thing confused me as well. There is nothing people won't say when trying to slander other people.

I'm wondering if he meant Ugep...which isn't even an Igbo town to begin with.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by geophyscist: 12:04am On Jan 08, 2015
Yerwa:
Can anyone enlighten me,I would like to know if igbos are found in other African countries or any African country that speaks a different dialect of Igbo other than the one spoken in Nigeria against the backdrop of that for example Yoruba can be found in Benin and Togo,Fulani can be found in Niger,Cameroon etc.
Thanks
equitorial guinea and cameroun
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by bigfrancis21: 3:01am On Jan 08, 2015
Nimen:

Igboland to certain westerners is perceived as some mysterious island they've heard soo much about (many untrue), where only the daring and bold dare venture into, a distant land which can be likened to the biblical land of the shadow of death, and to top it all, a mysterious land of no return where nobody makes it out alive.

It really takes some powerful land by itself to pull together such strong mysterious fairy-tale about it.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by bigfrancis21: 3:39am On Jan 08, 2015
illicit:

its because u speak igbo and i speak yoruba. there is a town in ekiti named igede which the igede in benue thinks they av a bond with, igala people has yoruba words used in their language, the way an idoma speaks a naive white man myt take him for yoruba than igbo, now both yoruba and igbo belongs to the kwa family, linguistics believe they could have evolved from just one old defunct mother language, am a linguist. There are lang groups and language families, under a family you will have many groups, idomoid is a group, kwa is the family.

You are simply dragging on an empty argument based on your superficial knowledge of middle tribe belts beyond what you read on nairaland. I am talking reality here, based on personal experience with people I have come across with. Igede and Idoma are in no way similar to Yoruba or nearing Yoruba at all. Igala is the only yoruba-like language of all of Igala, Idoma and Igede. Yoruba lacks letters of the alphabet Idoma shares exactly with Igbo, letters such as 'ch' (Ochi Idoma - leader of Idoma, same meaning as in Igbo. A letter terribly lacking in Yoruba but widely used in Idoma and Igbo), 'kw' (okpokwu), 'kp' (i.e. okpu - means cap in both Igbo and Idoma, a letter which the yoruba orthography lacks and spells rather as 'p'), 'gw' (Elaigwu) e.t.c. Popular Idoma names are Anyaole, Ada, Agaba, Ekindu, Onyechi (has exactly the same meaning in Igbo), Onyeje, Onyeche, Oganya, e.t.c. which can be easily mistaken as Igbo names due to extremely striking similarity.
http://www.idomaland.org/idoma-names?page=1. Names of popular Idoma towns are Obi, Oju, Ohimini (Ohimiri in Igbo - river), Okpokwu, Agatu, Ogbadigbo e.t.c. which all have meanings in Idoma as well as in Igbo. In one way, it seems as if Idoma language took basically the same set alphabet and words as Igbo language but re-assigned them separate meanings instead.

Tuface Ujah Idibia is a well-known Idoma person and notice his last name is similar to the Igbo surname, 'Dibia'. He has songs in his native Idoma language, one of which is 'Ocho.mp3', which on my hearing for the first time I thought was some distant dialect of Igbo due to very similar word pronunciations. If you think you can understand Idoma because you think 'it is Yoruboid' to you, download and listen to Ocho.mp3 from here and please tell me what is Yoruba about the language: http://9jabaze.com/music/view/8041628?get-file=2face%20Idibia%20-%20Ocho

In addition, for a language sentence/word list of Idoma, visit this website and educate yourself: http://archive.phonetics.ucla.edu/Language/IDU/idu_word-list_1962_02.html

As for Igede language, if you can't watch the youtube video I sent you the link due to bandwidth limitations, listen to an Igede Mp3 audio here and tell me what you think is Yoruboid of the language: http://www.bible.is/IGEBSN/Matt/1

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 9:55am On Jan 08, 2015
sad
Radoillo:

Igbos in E. Guinea are largely found in the island of Fernando Po where they make up 7% of the population.

Some of the earliest Igbos there were Igbo Recaptives returning from Sierra Leone in the 19th century. They have now dissolved into the island's Krio population.

The vast majority of the Igbos there, though (and the ones who have retained their Igbo identity) arrived there in the 20th century as migrant labourers.

Those days they call them panya.. thhen when I was young my grand Dada will say that somebody sent to panya
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by coolzeal(m): 10:01am On Jan 08, 2015
Gotta save this... Nwa Afor

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 08, 2015
tonychristopher:
sad

Those days they call them panya.. thhen when I was young my grand Dada will say that somebody sent to panya

Oh, is that what Panya means? Been hearing "Panya, Panya" but wasnt sure what it meant. Some say it is somewhere in Cross River. Some say it is Spain.

They speak Spanish in E. Guinea sha. That may explain why some people in the interior of Igboland confused Panya/E. Guinea with Spain.

Perhaps "Panya" is a corruption of "Espana" i.e, the Spanish language which many Equaguineans speak.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 11:12am On Jan 08, 2015
Radoillo:

Oh, is that what Panya means? Been hearing "Panya, Panya" but wasnt sure what it meant. Some say it is somewhere in Cross River. Some say it is Spain.

They speak Spanish in E. Guinea sha. That may explain why some people in the interior of Igboland confused Panya/E. Guinea with Spain.

Perhaps "Panya" is a corruption of "Espana" i.e, the Spanish language which many Equaguineans speak.

So you can see how we got there

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 3:43am On Jan 09, 2015
geophyscist:
equitorial guinea and cameroun
where is Igbo spoken in Cameroon or equatorial guinea?
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by bigfrancis21: 3:58am On Jan 09, 2015
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Panya in Equatorial guinea. cheesy
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:34am On Jan 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Panya in Equatorial guinea. cheesy
this is a tricky answer, you mean there are Igbos living in panya who happened to speak their language like any foreigner abroad or that Panya is an Igbo community? anyway i thought i have already debunked that false claim..there are only 03 languages recognized in EG: Fang-spanish-French ..
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by tonychristopher: 6:01am On Jan 09, 2015
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
this is a tricky answer, you mean there are Igbos living in panya who happened to speak their language like any foreigner abroad or that Panya is an Igbo community? anyway i thought i have already debunked that false claim..there are only 03 languages recognized in EG: Fang-spanish-French ..

Igbo is officially recognised in equatorial Guinea.. that I know for sure ..I do not know of panya etc
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by geophyscist: 1:45pm On Jan 09, 2015
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
op that is what google is meant for,go and make research.igbo is a government recognise language in equitorial guinea.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by bigfrancis21: 2:36pm On Jan 09, 2015
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Please read this:
http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwmain?page=country&category=&publisher=MRGI&type=&coi=GNQ&rid=&docid=4954ce2a2&skip=0

I guess you failed to do your research well after all.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 3:41pm On Jan 09, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Please read this:
http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwmain?page=country&category=&publisher=MRGI&type=&coi=GNQ&rid=&docid=4954ce2a2&skip=0

I guess you failed to do your research well after all.

Do you know how to read ? How does main language become recognized aka official language? Can someone say Chinese or Russian is a recognized language in the USA?
Furthermore I find funny that it is the only link you could come with an unofficial report? Like seriously the fact you can not even give me the number of Igbo in EG or their percentage yet you want to say Igbo is recognized in a 90% fang country ? Lmfao
The only way to know if a language is recognized is through the constitution of the country , provide the constitution and shame me or forever remains quiet ...lol @ Igbo being recognized in EG as in ? Are state documents, announcements, etc written or gave in Igbo ? Na was oooo
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 3:46pm On Jan 09, 2015
geophyscist:
op that is what google is meant for,go and make research.igbo is a government recognise language in equitorial guinea.

Enough with the lie ....I'm a camerooni and my ethnic is spread across the whole region in fact my ethnic group constitutes the majority in Equatorial guinea ....over 80% what's even the percentage of igbos in EG? What did they do or achieve to have their language recognized by the govt ? There are more Igbo up to millions in both Nigeria and Cameroon and it is where their number is insignificant that the Igbo language is recognized. Provide the EG constitution or shut up cause you are spewin hearseay.
Re: Interesting Facts About The Igbo People by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 3:49pm On Jan 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

Igbo is officially recognised in equatorial Guinea.. that I know for sure ..I do not know of panya etc
igbo is not officially recognized nowhere , go and recognize in your enclaves first ...the only official and recognized languages are Spanish french and fang .period a simple look at the EG constitution can put an end to this speculation ...

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Kayanmata: What I Observed At Abuja International Tradefair / Emir Of Kano, Ado Bayero To Marry Ex-Girlfriend, Hajiyayye (Photo) / The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.