Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin (1297 Views)

Homosexuality Is The Most Disgusting Sin To God / self-service Leads To Homosexuality--watchtower / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by Yooguyz: 12:14pm On Nov 01, 2014
(Photo: Facebook.com)Matthew Vines holding a Bible in a photo dated Aug. 16.
Matthew Vines is a 22-year-old gay Christian who believes being gay is not a sin. He came to that conclusion after two years of studying Scripture and the works of dozens of biblical scholars. The Harvard University student, currently on leave of absence, is now trying to win over fellow believers not just with an emotional testimony but with what he is presenting as biblically solid arguments.

"There is no contradiction between being Christian and being gay," he told BBC.

His arguments – mainly against six Bible passages that are commonly used by Christians to condemn homosexuality – are gaining popularity as evidenced by his YouTube views. In six months, an over hour-long video of Vines meticulously challenging what he calls the traditional interpretation of Scripture has garnered nearly 400,000 views.

In an interview with The Christian Post, Vines made it clear that he believes that Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin are wrong. "Loving, same-sex relationships" are not addressed in the Bible, let alone condemned, he argued.

Vines distinguishes between lustful, casual homosexual behavior and loving, "natural" same-sex relationships, arguing that it is only the former behavior that the Bible speaks against.

The Wichita, Kan., resident has already changed some Christians' stance on homosexuality, including that of his devout Christian father, whom he came out to just a couple years ago.

Vines has stated that he was raised in a loving, Christian home – never molested or abused – and a church community that holds the traditional view of homosexuality. He expressed optimism that the acceptance of gay Christians will soon prevail.

Below is a transcript of the interview.

CP: What were the scholarly works or people you talked to that led you to develop your view on Scripture and homosexuality?

Vines: I became more interested in understanding the issue when I came to meet gay people for the first time in high school because when the issue is just an abstraction, then it is much easier not to talk about it very much. But when you have gay people in your life that you care about, it makes you want to consider things more deeply.

So once then I decided to really study the scriptural issues in depth, what I did was, there are dozens of works of scholarship out there now on this subject from all perspectives, and so I started buying different books that seemed to be regularly referenced. The goal was to read books on both sides in order to try and understand those perspectives, to get one argument and then to see all counter-arguments to it back and forth. I now own several dozen books on the subject, I've read many more than that as well, basically just reading a lot of different works of scholarship on the subject, and trying to get as wide of a range of views as possible so that I could feel that my views were as well-informed as they can be.

http://m.christianpost.com/news/matthew-vines-says-most-christians-are-wrong-homosexuality-is-not-a-sin--82026/
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
Demons masquerading as pastors and tellin u dat masturbation and homosexuality is not a sin...i am pretty sure God has prepared a special place for them in hades

3 Likes

Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by paulGrundy(m): 12:35pm On Nov 01, 2014
Cutehector4u:
Demons masquerading as pastors and tellin u dat masturbation and homosexuality is not a sin...i am pretty sure God has prepared a special place for them in hades

Exactely my thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by paulGrundy(m): 12:38pm On Nov 01, 2014
Yooguyz:
(Photo: Facebook.com)Matthew Vines holding a Bible in a photo dated Aug. 16.
Matthew Vines is a 22-year-old gay Christian who believes being gay is not a sin. He came to that conclusion after two years of studying Scripture and the works of dozens of biblical scholars. The Harvard University student, currently on leave of absence, is now trying to win over fellow believers not just with an emotional testimony but with what he is presenting as biblically solid arguments.

"There is no contradiction between being Christian and being gay," he told BBC.

His arguments – mainly against six Bible passages that are commonly used by Christians to condemn homosexuality – are gaining popularity as evidenced by his YouTube views. In six months, an over hour-long video of Vines meticulously challenging what he calls the traditional interpretation of Scripture has garnered nearly 400,000 views.

In an interview with The Christian Post, Vines made it clear that he believes that Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin are wrong. "Loving, same-sex relationships" are not addressed in the Bible, let alone condemned, he argued.

Vines distinguishes between lustful, casual homosexual behavior and loving, "natural" same-sex relationships, arguing that it is only the former behavior that the Bible speaks against.

The Wichita, Kan., resident has already changed some Christians' stance on homosexuality, including that of his devout Christian father, whom he came out to just a couple years ago.

Vines has stated that he was raised in a loving, Christian home – never molested or abused – and a church community that holds the traditional view of homosexuality. He expressed optimism that the acceptance of gay Christians will soon prevail.

Below is a transcript of the interview.

CP: What were the scholarly works or people you talked to that led you to develop your view on Scripture and homosexuality?

Vines: I became more interested in understanding the issue when I came to meet gay people for the first time in high school because when the issue is just an abstraction, then it is much easier not to talk about it very much. But when you have gay people in your life that you care about, it makes you want to consider things more deeply.

So once then I decided to really study the scriptural issues in depth, what I did was, there are dozens of works of scholarship out there now on this subject from all perspectives, and so I started buying different books that seemed to be regularly referenced. The goal was to read books on both sides in order to try and understand those perspectives, to get one argument and then to see all counter-arguments to it back and forth. I now own several dozen books on the subject, I've read many more than that as well, basically just reading a lot of different works of scholarship on the subject, and trying to get as wide of a range of views as possible so that I could feel that my views were as well-informed as they can be.

http://m.christianpost.com/news/matthew-vines-says-most-christians-are-wrong-homosexuality-is-not-a-sin--82026/

@Yooguyz,

Do you honestely support the bolded? What happened to the passage of the bible that say that the homosexual shall not inherit the kingdom of God?

“Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of ... Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,..”.
1cor 6:10 english standard version
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by lyntiffany(f): 12:41pm On Nov 01, 2014
Why then did God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah?

2 Likes

Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by yungEX(m): 12:49pm On Nov 01, 2014
lyntiffany:
Why then did God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah?
where in d bible did dey say GoD distroyed sodom & gomorrah because oh homosexuality? point it out & i'll move my stand dat homosexuality is not a sin
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by lyntiffany(f): 1:01pm On Nov 01, 2014
yungEX:

where in d bible did dey say GoD distroyed sodom & gomorrah because oh homosexuality? point it out & i'll move my stand dat homosexuality is not a sin
Genesis:1 9vs4 and 5 it reads
4, "before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom both young and old surrounded the house"

5, "They called to Lot, where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them".
Tell me mr man,what can you fathom from the context above.

1 Like

Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by lyntiffany(f): 1:04pm On Nov 01, 2014
yungEX:

I will advice you to read that chapter 19 thoroughly from vs 4 down to 11 then tell me your view of it.
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by Nobody: 1:12pm On Nov 01, 2014
lyntiffany:
Genesis:1 9vs4 and 5 it reads
4, "before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom both young and old surrounded the house"

5, "They called to Lot, where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them".
Tell me mr man,what can you fathom from the context above.

LOL@all the men. So all the guys there were gay grin The bible can be funny sometimes.

Just like 1Corinthians. 14:34-35 says:

"Let your women keep silence in churches, for it is not permitted unto them to speak, but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

And if they want to learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home, for it is a shame for women to speak in the church"

Same bible.

1 Like

Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by Orunto: 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2014
O. Yes! i am pretty sure too that God has prepared a special place for them in hades, in hell and in sheol. Neurotic Insurgents, they are!

1 Like

Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by lyntiffany(f): 1:22pm On Nov 01, 2014
masonkz:

LOL@all the men. So all the guys there were gay grin The bible can be funny sometimes.

Just like 1Corinthians. 14:34-35 says:

"Let your women keep silence in churches, for it is not permitted unto them to speak, but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

And if they want to learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home, for it is a shame for women to speak in the church"

Same bible.

Bible made itself clear on that if you continue reading down from same Genesis 19 from 5 to 11 you see that lot had to plead with them, he even went ahead to submitt his daughters that are still chaste but they insisted on men like them. Lot called it a wicked act what then will God see it as.
when you mention all men , is not likely that all will sleep with them . We all know how these people in the past entertain themselves.
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 01, 2014
lyntiffany:
Bible made itself clear on that if you continue reading down from same Genesis 19 from 5 to 11 you see that lot had to plead with them, he even went ahead to submitt his daughters that are still chaste but they insisted on men like them. Lot called it a wicked act what then will God see it as.
when you mention all men , is not likely that all will sleep with them . We all know how these people in the past entertain themselves.

why is it not likely? Or isn't that what you wrote up there? Or are we to now subjectively analyse the bible?

Meanwhile you didn't comment on my other bible quote.
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by lyntiffany(f): 2:02pm On Nov 01, 2014
masonkz:

why is it not likely? Or isn't that what you wrote up there? Or are we to now subjectively analyse the bible?

Meanwhile you didn't comment on my other bible quote.
yes I mentioned likely cos in the past kingdoms are known to have what we call pleasure entertainment, some people engage themselves in the act while the others derive pleasure by watching them.
To your earlier post, what the Bible says there is that women are not meant to enquire things in the church like asking questions but that does not mean they should be mute, women sing in the church, they lead in the children's sectionetc. So dear it is not saying we should be deaf rather we should desist from asking some sensitive questions in the church ( my own perception).
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by AfricanApple(f): 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2014
hmm shocked

Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by Yooguyz: 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2014
paulGrundy:

@Yooguyz,

Do you honestely support the bolded? What happened to the passage of the bible that say that the homosexual shall not inherit the kingdom of God?

“Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of ... Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,..”.
1cor 6:10 english standard version

Am glad you highlighted that part, it said does who practise homosexuality not does who are homosexuals, its two different things entirely.
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by paulGrundy(m): 3:07pm On Nov 01, 2014
Yooguyz:

Am glad you highlighted that part, it said does who practise homosexuality not does who are homosexuals, its two different things entirely.

This one you are supporting them are you gay?
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by Yooguyz: 3:23pm On Nov 01, 2014
paulGrundy:

This one you are supporting them are you gay?

Am not gay, but am a man of orientation. A gay man is someone who practises homosexuality. A man of Orientation is one who is attracted to the samesex but refuses to act on it because of his Bible trained conscience.
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by paulGrundy(m): 3:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Yooguyz:

Am not gay, but am a man of orientation. A gay man is someone who practises homosexuality. A man of Orientation is one who is attracted to the samesex but refuses to act on it because of his Bible trained conscience.

Stop painting what is bad as good. You are gay! The bible is very clear is per matters that concern homosexuality. Better repent.
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by lastmessenger: 6:02pm On Nov 01, 2014
Yooguyz:

You admire men.guy you fall my hand o
Re: Vine Said Homosexuality Is Not A Sin by Nobody: 8:57pm On Nov 03, 2014
lyntiffany:
yes I mentioned likely cos in the past kingdoms are known to have what we call pleasure entertainment, some people engage themselves in the act while the others derive pleasure by watching them.
To your earlier post, what the Bible says there is that women are not meant to enquire things in the church like asking questions but that does not mean they should be mute, women sing in the church, they lead in the children's sectionetc. So dear it is not saying we should be deaf rather we should desist from asking some sensitive questions in the church ( my own perception).

@bold. I wasn't acknowledging what women do, but what women are supposed to do , according to the bible! It's right there.

(1) (Reply)

The Advantages Of Being A Christian. / Are Christ Embassy Pastors Paid???? / Kumuyi Reportedly Goes Tough On Members.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.