Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,057 members, 7,810,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam (2268 Views)

Photos: Two Nigerian Fraudsters Who Duped A Woman Out Of £1.6m Sentenced To Pris / Racist British Woman Captured On Videotape / How Nigerians Fraudster Duped Me Of $1m— American Businessman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by topsyking: 12:25pm On Nov 01, 2014
He claimed to be an American major general, charming lonely British women through online dating sites with stories of his bravery dodging bombs and saving lives.

But in reality the dashing war hero they fell in love with was Ghanaian fraudster Maurice Asola Fadola, who conned victims out of £800,000 to pay for his lavish mansion in his homeland.

Yesterday Fadola was unmasked as one of the world’s most prolific online dating fraudsters as he was jailed for five years in Ghana for a series of international romance scams. He targeted women across Britain, France, Sweden, Italy and the US.

The conman, thought to be in his 40s, preyed on at least 19 British victims by peddling an elaborate web of lies.

He said he needed cash to pay for a legal dispute to get his war medals, emergency medical treatment, customs charges or even to buy his way out of the army.

Using pictures of US servicemen sourced from the web, he duped other women into bogus investment schemes and lured them to Ghana where he posed as an official overseeing the money transaction, impressing his victims with his towering gold-plated and marble-clad villa in Accra.

Some of his victims were left penniless and homeless.

Dena White, of Market Weighton, East Yorkshire, lost her home after using £50,000 of her savings and re-mortgaging her property in 2009 to help the man she knew as Steve Moon in a legal dispute over the impounding of his war medals.

Fadola convinced the 57-year-old widow, who had just lost her husband of 26 years to cancer, that he could not get access to his cash because he was serving in Iraq.
The pair chatted through a dating website for hours each day. She said: ‘Of course I was wary but everything he told me seemed to check out.

'He’d send me poetry. It sounds silly now but we were in love.’

A 52-year-old victim, a married mother of two, lost £271,000 after paying to release a suitcase supposedly containing £5.2million which her online US soldier boyfriend said he had smuggled out of Iraq.

It was Fadola’s attempts to seek a British visa which was to be his undoing. It disclosed his true identity to the National Crime Agency which was working with the Ghanaian police in connection with the case of a disabled woman who was persuaded to sell her house and send funds to Ghana.

Fadola was arrested by Ghana’s Serious Fraud Office in April 2010. The NCA flew five victims to give evidence against him in 2012 during his lengthy trial in Ghana.

Yesterday he was ordered to pay his victims back after being found guilty of over 20 offences, including deception.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2816580/US-general-conned-800-000-lonely-British-women-Ghanian-fraudster-posed-senior-military-official-pay-lavish-mansion-homeland.html#ixzz3HoaWWDru
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 01, 2014
Woow...lets clap for him

1 Like

Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by lekkie073(m): 12:46pm On Nov 01, 2014
DAT house is damn too....

1 Like

Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by LegatusGlaber(m): 12:58pm On Nov 01, 2014
I am here just to read comments
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by iamrockyofficial(m): 1:13pm On Nov 01, 2014
So military fmt still dey pay
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by iamord(m): 2:19pm On Nov 01, 2014
This guy is not a ghanaian .. Asola Fadola is not a ghanaian name!

4 Likes

Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by Nobody: 5:32pm On Nov 01, 2014
who in their ryt minds would believe that man is ghanaian with a name like that? .... thats clearly a nigerian name

1 Like

Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by iamord(m): 5:53pm On Nov 01, 2014
chokl8candie:
who in their ryt minds would believe that man is ghanaian with a name like that? .... thats clearly a nigerian name

Uk dailymail has done enough harm already by not getting their facts right!

2 Likes

Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by IloveGH: 6:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
How is Asola Fadola a Ghanaian name? shocked shocked shocked JOKE OF THE MILLENNIUM!!!

Just google the name Fadola, you will see names like Oluwatobi Fadola, oluyemi fadola, Fadola Adeola, etc. grin.

Fadola is a Yoruba name and Yorubas are Nigerians. The guy may be living in Ghana and holding a Ghanaian passport like many other Nigerians, but the fraudster is OMO YORUBA dragging the name of my beloved country to the mud angry

@ iamord, you live in naija so you should know that name is Yoruba. You should have said it, than to say it's not a Ghanaian name cheesy... And the Nigerians commenting aren't mentioning the fact that his name is YORUBA grin

BTW, if this guy wasn't a Nigerian but a Ghanaian, the story would have made front page within seconds and the Ghana bashing would have started grin

3 Likes

Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by JiggamanGh: 6:22pm On Nov 01, 2014
That's clearly a yoruba man. Damn these nigerians are determine to bring our name down

2 Likes

Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by htconeline: 7:01pm On Nov 01, 2014
but some ghanian bear yoruba names.
But these is nigeria.
Who know the meaning of asola
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by smithsammy(m): 8:40pm On Nov 01, 2014
I'm a yoruba man and I can tell you all that those names - ASola, Fadola, has no meaning what so ever in Yoruba language.
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by iamord(m): 8:49pm On Nov 01, 2014
IloveGH:
How is Asola Fadola a Ghanaian name? shocked shocked shocked JOKE OF THE MILLENNIUM!!!

Just google the name Fadola, you will see names like Oluwatobi Fadola, oluyemi fadola, Fadola Adeola, etc. grin.

Fadola is a Yoruba name and Yorubas are Nigerians. The guy may be living in Ghana and holding a Ghanaian passport like many other Nigerians, but the fraudster is OMO YORUBA dragging the name of my beloved country to the mud angry

@ iamord, you live in naija so you should know that name is Yoruba. You should have said it, than to say it's not a Ghanaian name cheesy... And the Nigerians commenting aren't mentioning the fact that his name is YORUBA grin

BTW, if this guy wasn't a Nigerian but a Ghanaian, the story would have made front page within seconds and the Ghana bashing would have started grin

Lol bro I had to leave it for others to judge but. I know the name sounds yoruba. More investigation has to be done on the matter. There are loop holes in the immigration dept
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by Nobody: 10:06pm On Nov 01, 2014
An easy way to scam people is to put yourself in a position that they would think they can scam you easily. The scammer and the scammee are the same.

CONi man die CONi man burry am.
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by iconize(m): 3:18pm On Nov 05, 2014
JiggamanGh:
That's clearly a yoruba man. Damn these nigerians are determine to bring our name down

Yeah!, for driving away my chic.
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by Ferdinandu(m): 3:34pm On Nov 05, 2014
Ghanaians are good at copying everything Nigerian both good and bad but it seems that this one is trying to beat records set by Nigerians.
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by overhypedsteve(m): 3:40pm On Nov 05, 2014
The bad thing about being Black is if you do something bad no matter where yu come fol in Africa. People will still associate you with Nigeria.
Re: Ghanian Fraudster Duped A Lonely British Woman E800,000 In International Scam by Ferdinandu(m): 3:40pm On Nov 05, 2014
chokl8candie:
if his name is your problem you can change it to Kofi. Or better still we can lend you Emeka or Segun to give him but it didn't change the fact that he is a full blooded Ghanaian. We're teaching you Ghanaians to be copying good things from us but you decided to be copying only the bad ones

(1) (Reply)

LOL! So Gen. Obansanjo Himself Is A Woman Wrapper? See Pix. / The Fear Of Boko Haram (picture) / Yar’adua : I Owe Public No Explanation – Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.