Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,613 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

What Age?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Age?? (1336 Views)

At What Age Should Your Parents Stop Commanding You To Cut Your Hair? / If You Had Your Way, At What Age Will You Like To Get Married / What Age Is Overdue For A Man To Marry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Age?? by darisgod(m): 7:53pm On Nov 03, 2014
Gudevening all

Please I and my husby had a slight issue this morning,and it about our daughter .

Ok
My daughter is 18 months n she can talk for africa , she knows everybody's name, can sing along with Dora(her favorite cartoon), whenever she holds pencil n paper she start shouting "ah,tu"(1,2)

So I told her dad this morning that Dara will be starting school in January .
He said No until she's Two yrs n datz in July 2015 n said datz not fair cos her mates are already in school even in crèche

He said he can't start paying for school fees now dat she's still a baby n she won't be taught anything other than sleep,eat,play etc...
My question is should o just bone n wait till she's 2 or I stand (abi beg) dat she must start in January
Or
Is she too young to start school?

NB : am unemployed looking for a job,was working with a private organisation until I gave birth,my Oga won visa lottery na so e relocate go amelica with his family n stop his biz in naija
Re: What Age?? by BigBizzy(m): 8:06pm On Nov 03, 2014
if the money is there why not

but if its as Oga has said then 2 years is not bad na...you too can be teaching her small small too

1 Like

Re: What Age?? by StPete: 8:15pm On Nov 03, 2014
I'm currently having the same issue with mine and the question I keep asking her is: what's the hurry?
Besides, all they would be doing at that age is just eat and sleep. U can't even imagine that sometimes they may even be left unattended.

2 Likes

Re: What Age?? by bobkezel(m): 8:40pm On Nov 03, 2014
U guys should do nothing. Just wait, i will marry in 10years to come,and then i will tell u wat to do after i hav had experience.
Re: What Age?? by thorpido(m): 8:48pm On Nov 03, 2014
With the current state of things in your family,I'll say,go with your husband's position.
Re: What Age?? by darisgod(m): 10:35pm On Nov 03, 2014
Ummn
StPete:
I'm currently having the same issue with mine and the question I keep asking her is: what's the hurry?
Besides, all they would be doing at that age is just eat and sleep. U can't even imagine that sometimes they may even be left unattended.

OK
Re: What Age?? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 03, 2014
2 years is okay na..... embarassed
18 months is too young if you ask me... lipsrsealed
Re: What Age?? by Suzzytee05(f): 11:33pm On Nov 03, 2014
If you can convince your husband to let your daughter start in May (3rd term), that will still be okay for her. My son and my neighbour's son are almost d same age, my neighbour's son started school at 1 but i felt my son was too young to start then, so i made him wait till he was 20 months and enrolled him at d 3rd term. Now they are both in the same class.
Re: What Age?? by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 05, 2014
darisgod:
Gudevening all

Please I and my husby had a slight issue this morning,and it about our daughter .

Ok
My daughter is 18 months n she can talk for africa , she knows everybody's name, can sing along with Dora(her favorite cartoon), whenever she holds pencil n paper she start shouting "ah,tu"(1,2)

So I told her dad this morning that Dara will be starting school in January .
He said No until she's Two yrs n datz in July 2015 n said datz not fair cos her mates are already in school even in crèche

He said he can't start paying for school fees now dat she's still a baby n she won't be taught anything other than sleep,eat,play etc...
My question is should o just bone n wait till she's 2 or I stand (abi beg) dat she must start in January
Or
Is she too young to start school?

NB : am unemployed looking for a job,was working with a private organisation until I gave birth,my Oga won visa lottery na so e relocate go amelica with his family n stop his biz in naija
4 me d earlier d beta esp if u gat d funds. But if u don't, i suggest u go wit ur husbi
Re: What Age?? by Nobody: 7:37am On Nov 05, 2014
Una just dey suffer small children these days. In those days, you must be at least 6yrs old (till your hands can touch your ears) before you set your eyes on school gate. grin

I'm with hubby on this one abeg. Wait till she's 2. It's just some months away.

1 Like

Re: What Age?? by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 05, 2014
What backwardness! That child should have been enrolled at 6months. Why wait till 24months! Smh for follow follow mentality.
Re: What Age?? by Ishilove: 8:11am On Nov 05, 2014
I was three years when I started school, and in those days we had nurseries 1-3. I don't know what the rush is for. Let the child rest at home and play till she is two. Even that two sef is too early.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Age?? by luvly101: 1:55pm On Nov 05, 2014
I suggest you go with your husband on this , since you're unemployed @ the moment... you can teach your child what you think she ought to be taught in school before she clocks 2.
Good luck.
Re: What Age?? by Lilimax(f): 4:57pm On Nov 05, 2014
I'll suggest you allow your baby clock two years before enrolling her in school.
Moreso, you're not working currently and you'll have all the time for her. smiley
Re: What Age?? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 05, 2014
Op,
I'm sorry for asking this on here,pardon me.
Please how do you get kids to talk?Mine has refused to say anything even at 18 months.
Hearing test has been passed,can walk and point and pull you towards what she wants,can understand instructions as well but she only just babbles like a bee.
I feel so frustrated as I started early to read to her,play educative videos and nursery rhymes.
Sometimes,she at least says something like thank you,mamama,dadada.
People she's older than are speaking so well,I feel like a failure sometimes.Shes my first!HELP!
I don't want to resort to speech therapists just yet.
Re: What Age?? by darisgod(m): 8:35pm On Nov 05, 2014
E yaa

Babies r different ma,dey grow fast in sum areas dan other babies eg: some baby start talking at 7months n don't Ve teeth until 2yrs while some can have teeth at 6months n not walk till18 months so dey r sooo different

My baby started walking at 9month ,teeth at 7months...talk started at1so don't worry she will talk
Re: What Age?? by BuddhaPalm(m): 9:03pm On Nov 05, 2014
Why ze rush?
Re: What Age?? by EfemenaXY: 8:02am On Nov 06, 2014
Phema:
Una just dey suffer small children these days. In those days, you must be at least 6yrs old (till your hands can touch your ears) before you set your eyes on school gate. grin

I'm with hubby on this one abeg. Wait till she's 2. It's just some months away.

Phema!

I don catch you. Oya confess your real age! cheesy cheesy
Re: What Age?? by Nobody: 8:06am On Nov 06, 2014
EfemenaXY:
Phema!

I don catch you. Oya confess your real age! cheesy cheesy

Lol. I swear, you don't want to hear the real age. Abeg manage the football one. cheesy cheesy

How are you these days? Family?
Re: What Age?? by EfemenaXY: 8:09am On Nov 06, 2014
Phema:

Lol. I swear, you don't want to hear the real age. Abeg manage the football one. cheesy cheesy

How are you these days? Family?

Lol!

We're all good dear. You and yours?

Good morning smiley
Re: What Age?? by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 06, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Lol!

We're all good dear. You and yours?

Good morning smiley

Very well.

Nice day. smiley
Re: What Age?? by Ishilove: 9:36am On Nov 06, 2014
hispinkolo:

Op,
I'm sorry for asking this on here,pardon me.
Please how do you get kids to talk?Mine has refused to say anything even at 18 months.
Hearing test has been passed,can walk and point and pull you towards what she wants,can understand instructions as well but she only just babbles like a bee.
I feel so frustrated as I started early to read to her,play educative videos and nursery rhymes.
Sometimes,she at least says something like thank you,mamama,dadada.
People she's older than are speaking so well,I feel like a failure sometimes.Shes my first!HELP!
I don't want to resort to speech therapists just yet.
Relax. My friend's baby didn't start speaking until he was over three years, and that was because he started school. The first week he started school, he called everybody (including his mum and dad) ''Aunty''.

Aunty was the third word he learnt to speak at age three, the first being 'mama' which he learnt before he was a year old, and second 'dada'. He began speaking the same week he started school, so no worries. Everyone was worried too, but he seemed perfectly normal (just like your baby) so we decided to hope and wait, and at the end of the day our fears turned out to be unfounded smiley

Some kids are just naturally fast talkers, while others take more time.
Re: What Age?? by mutter(f): 10:18am On Nov 06, 2014
Enjoy this time you have with her they have so many years of school ahead of them. There is really no hurry when there is no need for it. The most important thing is to bond and feel loved at that age.
Most children do not talk at the age of 18 months. It is normal. It also does not say much about the intelligence. Some children absorb everything but hardly talk at that age. You need not be worried about that. The most important thing as a parent is also to realise that every child deserves to be loved as it is and everyone has a different IQ. If you start now comparing and putting yourself under pressure how would it be when the notes start flying in and the nieghbours child has a 1. We can only heelp to bring out the best the children have in them. It is a hard facxt to accept but it would help you and the child a long way along the journey. Having older kids I have learnt to understand that it is not even the most intelligent ones that achieve the most. Allot depends too on the ambition and determination of a child.

1 Like

Re: What Age?? by amtheone(m): 10:21am On Nov 06, 2014
I really dont know why this type of pressure on babies. I think if we have our way we would have changed everything including pregnancy - we wont allow them spend 9months in the womb.

I think some ladies should give birth in school, that way u wont have anything to worry about.
Re: What Age?? by Bibol(f): 1:41pm On Nov 06, 2014
Madam OP, I understand you have good intentions for your daughter but please let babies be babies for now. Before you know it, she will be 2 years old and then she can start school. Agree with your husband on this because he is right.

(1) (Reply)

The Story Mom And Daughter Gives Birth For Same Man Was A Ruse!(pic) / Please Help They Dont Seem To Love Me / Ten Words That Define A "Good Man". ONLY Ten WORDS!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.