Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Have You Ever Missed A Flight? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Have You Ever Missed A Flight? (26932 Views)

Pics: Air Hostess Feeds A Paralyzed Elderly Man On A Flight / How Can I Book A Flight Ticket to China Online. / 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by amtheone(m): 11:39pm On Nov 03, 2014
Ours happened when we were returning from Akwa Ibom to Lagos. Imagine for 3adults. We actually prepared ahead of time but, for just no reason decided to relax a bit at home. Little did we know that such relaxation will mean so much.

Our flight was at 12noon but at about 9am I received a text that it has been re-scheduled to take off at about 2:45pm. I said to my wife if so, let's not rush. At about 12noon we headed to the air port. At 1pm we were stil on the road, to 2, we were still on and by the time we got to the air port it was all over. I looked at my family with our little angel, we had no other option than to double almost the amount we bought our initial tickets.

When we got to Lag, we made up our minds that we would never miss our flights again and it has been so.

So, share urs if it has happened to u.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by pansophist(m): 12:29am On Nov 04, 2014
Of course yes, I have missed a flight before, and I didnt regret it at all, it was one of the best journey ever cheesy

It was in 2011, I was travelling to Finland and the itinenary was scheduled to fly from Lagos to madrid, then from Madrid to Helsinki. On getting to the airport, we had a delayed flight and had to wait for over two hours for the airline to recuperate the issue, but eventually it was not possible to fly that day. We later heard an announcement that we will be dispatched to a nearby Hotel for the night, and we will be boarding the next morning. People were angry of course but for me, it was not an emergency travel so I was completely calm and just accept whatever in as much as I will arrive to my destination safely.

As we departed from the airport to the Hotel ( Lagos airport hotel), there was a beautiful girl sitting by my connecting going to London from Madrid, and we began talking, we further extend our discussion till mumsys call. wink

After arriving in Madrid, I already missed the flight that will take me to Helsinki, so the airline had to arrange another one for us, I was lodged in a 4 star hotel again, where I made very close friends that I still have contact with till today, I also had the opportunity to explore madrid and its architectural beauty, before finally departing to Helsinki.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Nobody: 6:15am On Nov 04, 2014
Never! Have had near misses though.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by justwise(m): 9:09am On Nov 04, 2014
Yes I have and the experience is a tasteless one.

Was supposed to get a connecting flight to Hong Kong via Paris but missed it because of delay at healthrow, we got to Paris at 11.59pm and the next flight to Hong Kong is 11pm next day. Those with transit visa and EU citizens were quickly taken to hotel while some of us were made to wait ages while air France sort out transit visa for us but my ordeal did not end there.

I was finally taken to a hotel at about 2am thinking that air France paid for the whole duration but I was wrong, they paid till 12pm. When I woke up, had my breakfast then went out sightseeing around Paris, came back around 2pm to found out that my swipe card has been disabled locking me out of the hotel room.

It was then that I was told that air France paid for half day, I went straight to the airport to confront air France but they refused to pay for the remaining hours only offered to pay for my lunch while I spent the remaining hours at the airport.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 04, 2014
^^^Some of these airlines can be very unreasonable.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 04, 2014
Yes within Australia though. I was headed to some country town in Queensland but my flight to Queensland was delayed by 2 hours, and thanks to that I missed my connecting flight to my destination.

The airline decided to lodge me in a hotel in Brisbane for a night. If Na so hotel dey fine abeg I want continue missing my flights grin I was lodged in sebel citigate in Brisbane right across the street from a gigantic shopping mall called the queen street mall-shopping time. The mall is so big that it will take me a good 2 weeks if not more to see the whole place. Talk about my room and the soft king size bed plus mini bar fridge with all the Jedi jedi inside plus they gave me meal tickets; for lunch, dinner and breakfast the next morning plus a voucher to use in the bar to get drinks. Plus Na limousine drive me from airport to hotel and back to airport again grin

God bless that airline and I hope they delay their flights the next time I fly with them

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by justwise(m): 11:46am On Nov 04, 2014
Phema:
^^^Some of these airlines can be very unreasonable.

That was my last with air France

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by frank94(m): 7:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
I like this topic,because it will help first timers to prepare in time because airplane waits for no one.I was the cause of my own experience.I was flying from icheon international airport south Korea to carribean island country of trinidad and Tobago.The faithful night to the next day i was to travel,i was busy drinking with friends at club in a town close to soul around 9pm in the night and I was suppose to travel around 5am the next morning,and my journey is 2days because i have to transit in schipohol international airport Amsterdam and also at hato international airport Curacao in the carribean before i get to my destination.my intention was if I check in my flight at icheon I will sleep till we get to Amsterdam. So when I was done with drink,I get to my hotel room arranged my clothes and traveling items but couldnt finish,i zoom off to sleep.when I wake up,it was 4:20am in the morning I was rushing and sweating inside the ac to finish in time not to miss my flight.before I could get to the airport it was late and I rush to checking,they told me that my flight is ready to leave that they can't check me in,I was mad and force them to check me in as the flight was still at the airport,but they refused and called the manager incharge of the flight, she ask whether I have luggage and I was travelling with 2 bags so she said its not possible to check me in. that if i was Travelling without any luggage, that she would have checked me in.that next time I should be at the airport 2hours before my flight,I was their the flight took off and I was angry because if its in murtala Mohammed airport lagos,I will board the plane trust Niger.Although I went back and was very happy letter because I experience a lot in Seoul before I travelled back to my base.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:11pm On Nov 04, 2014
Nice, missing a flight for me is what I am still going to write home about. The best, exhausting, dramatic escapade I will never forgot because it was my first time flying.

I was excited about leaving "flying" and anxious about going.

I have heard so many weird stories about flights, all the missing planes, the crashes and the thought of dying kept me clutching my duvet tightly under my chin waiting for the alarm to ring. My flight was @ 7am and I had to be at the airport atleast 2hours prior the flight.

I couldn't wake up when my alarm rang, I moved it up to 2hours later, which was an hour before my flight. When reality finally sucked in, it was late, I arrived at the airport 15minutes before my flight and I was told to pay the penalty fee for them to book me into another flight. I made calls as I was flying around Southern Africa, I couldn't leave the airport to get cash, but nobody came through, I had to go back to my place to get cash. When I returned, the flight they booked for me had also left me behind, the penalty fee had skyrocked. It was midday and I was pissed, wanted to give up and asked them to cancel the flight....but I did manage to get the last flight of the day with a reduced amount, if it wasn't for THE FIRST TIME ehn!....I would have given them my middle finger and used the bus. smiley

Btw I had the best expirience ever, I will never miss a flight again for anything, not if I can help it. Mine was just due to doubt and fear though.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by holatin(m): 9:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
unfortunately I've nt travel by air before

# no forming

72 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by akpanikpe(m): 9:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
Plenty times. So important that I even felt like treeking.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by soldierdollar(m): 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
When I miss a flight, I use my private jet grin

meanwhile, learn how to print recharge cards with this software and Ebook http://naijasuya..com/2014/10/recharge-card-printing-manual.html

7 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
I neva see plane b4

Bt

Hopefully, I will fly the first time I see it face 2 face

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by stonemind(f): 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
that was in may this year when i tried traveling to Lisbon, Portugal to buy my iPhone 6+

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by zappyj(m): 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2014
Yes, Terrible experience I swear cry, never would it happen again.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Rapsainot(m): 9:57pm On Nov 04, 2014
[size=20]I'VE NEVER BEEN TO AN AIRPORT TALKLESS OF GETTING INTO A PLANE OR BOOKING A FLIGHT[/size]

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Rapsainot(m): 9:57pm On Nov 04, 2014
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by zicoraads: 9:58pm On Nov 04, 2014
Yea I did! When I was going to France grin

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by kunlesehan(m): 9:58pm On Nov 04, 2014
Always on time.
Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Heyliesha(m): 9:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
I did miss d one to. Ogbomosho yesterday night...buh ll not miss d one to Osogbob

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by MsNas(f): 9:59pm On Nov 04, 2014
Na today? Just smile and cook a really tantalizing story for the airline reps and they will put you on the next flight direct or if you meet some stronghead ones they will put you on a wait-list. That is when I start to pray that the people on the flight I've been put on the waitlist for don't all showup for their flights grin

Two times prior, I had deliberately missed my flight cos the return was way too early in the morning and I couldn't be bothered. I was flying with United and I knew they always operate multiple flights from Houston, so I wasn't bothered. The last time I did it, It nearly backfired grin As usual, we booked an early morning ticket cos it was cheaper and I was still snoozing when my flight was taking off. Okay oo, I go airport, na so I jam Asian at the ticketing counter. And Asian ladies ehn lipsrsealed lipsrsealed She refused pointblank, even after I don cook my regular story and even complimented her horrible wristwatch grin Say the most she can do I put me on a waitlist oo

Okay, she put me on a waitlist and I went to the gate to wait. 6 hours at Dallas Fort Worth isn't a good experience cry , I dey monitor the board and saw my name as number one on waitlist. Cool. Flight came and the normal people boarded.. something just made me glance at the board and I saw my name on number 6 on the waitlist and another Asian at the check-in counter had done some miracles and checked in 5 people who were below me on the waitlist and pushed me to number 6. Trust Naija girl, see shouting for the woman. I'm sure the lady must have been scared I might start shoting or something. Jejely, she looked for a seat(extra legroom seat with blankets and screens o) for me and allow me go. See speed grin I vamoozed before she changed her mind.

That one teach me lesson, but e no mean say I no go miss my flight again. I'm a serial offender grin grin I'm still waiting for the day I will miss my flight and they will upgrade me to first class on the next flight. It's gon be epic! Enough booze and all the perks of flying first class

I have also been stranded in DC before because KLM delayed my flight from Amsterdam and I had missed my connecting flight from DC. I spent the night in Dulles, in the airport lounge and it was damn cold. It was later that I realized I should have gone back to the KLM counter and demanded they put me in a hotel and pay f or my flight the next morning

12 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by olafunny(m): 10:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
FLIGHT or FIGHT

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by Pavore9: 10:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
Almost! It was on the 10th of October 2013 and l was to be on an 1.30p.m flight to Nairobi (Kenya) vis Ethiopian Airline. l woke up 4.30a.m that morning with the hope of leaving home at about 9a.m so l can also pick up my yellow card from the Port Health officials at Muritala Mohammed International Airport lkeja before boarding as l couldn't meet up with picking it up the previous day and l had gotten my yellow card same day in my previous travel.

lt seems like the devil and his in-laws came visiting me that day, the kind fever whey hit me that morning on top swollen gum l was already suffering from, l took everything that look like pain-killer...for where? lt was even suggested l should forget the flight as my health was more important. Me, dash Ethiopian airline my $780 ticket, no way!

As at 11.45a.m l was still stuck along Anthony heading to Oshodi, got to the Airport around 12.50p.m, people were already checking in, told my brother to hold my luggage make l go collect my yellow card, on getting to the Port Health department, it seems the entire Lagos was traveling that day and needed Yellow card! It was no longer the usual pay N1000 and collect the yellow card without any syringe touching your body. That day you must chop needle before that Yellow card touch your hand, the crowd there was crazy and my flight was being announced, see high blood pressure.

Rushed back to check in (l was the last person) l told one lady who works with the airline and was weighing my luggage that l neva get my yellow card she pitied me and said l should be bring N1.500 which l promptly handed over to her, l can not afford Kenyan immigration wahala for Nairobi. Within 5mins one guy came with a yellow card and filled my names in it and stamped it, Na so l collect yellow card! grin

The lady had 'unofficially' collected N9k for the excess 20kg luggage l was traveling with and na egusi, ogbono, uha etc which were being eagerly awaited for by their owners in Nairobi, they had to 'clear it' from me before they collected their soup things grin l thank God l did not miss the flight though l did not eat throughout the flight only water & juice because of my swollen gum angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by mrphysics(m): 10:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
i just pray i don't miss d flight to heaven.

dat one will pain me most

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Missed A Flight? by uken73(m): 10:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
amtheone:
Ours happened when we were returning from Akwa Ibom to Lagos. Imagine for 3adults. We actually prepared ahead of time but, for just no reason decided to relax a bit at home. Little did we know that such relaxation will mean so much.

Our flight was at 12noon but at about 9am I received a text that it has been re-scheduled to take off at about 2:45pm. I said to my wife if so, let's not rush. At about 12noon we headed to the air port. At 1pm we were stil on the road, to 2, we were still on and by the time we got to the air port it was all over. I looked at my family with our little angel, we had no other option than to double almost the amount we bought our initial tickets.

When we got to Lag, we made up our minds that we would never miss our flights again and it has been so.

So, share urs if it has happened to u.

I'm curious. You left home at about 12 noon and couldn't make it there before 2:45pm? From what part of Akwa Ibom were you leaving from? Is it Eket axis? That is where you could possibly take that much time and you should have moved much earlier. From the capital, you won't need an hour to get there. Anyway, you've learnt your lesson. I don't hope to ever miss a flight. I've formed the habit of being in the airport an hour before time. Though the wait time is usually boring. Even when I try to get busy with work while waiting, I find it difficult to concentrate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

20+ Nations Issue Travel Warnings Against Nigeria / Nigerian Man's Leg Crushed By A Car In Asia (Photos, Video) / Explosion Rocks Kidandan, Kaduna, 10 Children Injured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.