Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,825 members, 7,810,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday (2345 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / 11 Harmful Lies Your Mind Loves To Tell You / Some "Lies" Our Parents Used To Tell Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Papisho(m): 10:45am On Nov 04, 2014
You can use these everyday phrases to instill confidence, self-respect, and thoughtfulness in your children.

Thank you
It's important to acknowledge your child's efforts to help you or others. You might say: "Thanks for helping me look for that missing sock" or "Thanks for setting the table; I got the salad made while you were doing that."

Tell me more.
Words like these show your child that you are listening and that you would like to hear more about what's on her mind. "Tell me more" encourages conversation without passing judgment or giving immediate advice – two responses that discourage further communication from your child.

You can do it.
Your expression of confidence in your child's ability to do many things without your help is important. As your child grows older, there will be many times when your encouragement will mean the difference between his giving up on a challenging task or seeing it through.

How can I help?
Let your child know you are willing and available to help her accomplish a particular task that may be difficult for her to manage on her own. You might say: "I think you can read that story by yourself now. Let me know if you need help with a new word." As your child takes on projects in school, encourage her to think of specific steps that are necessary to complete a project. You both can decide which tasks your child can handle on her own and which ones she'll need help with.

Let's do it together.
A child is never too young to learn that cooperation and team effort make many jobs easier and speedier – and often more fun: "Let's all pitch in and finish raking the leaves so we can go in and bake cookies," or "Let's all pitch in and clean up the kitchen or we'll miss the movie." Family activities and group chores can develop into pleasant rituals that enrich a child's life and create fond memories.

How about a hug?
Don't just tell your child you love him – show him. Research indicates that young children deprived of physical touch and displays of affection often fail to thrive. As children grow older, they vary in the ways they like us to show affection. Some love to be cuddled, while others prefer a quick hug or pat on the shoulder. It's important to be aware of what your child enjoys most at a particular age.
Please. After all these years, "please" is still a classic. When you ask a favor of anyone – including children – this "magic word" acknowledges that you are asking for a behavior that will help you and/or make you happy. (P.S.: Don't forget to say "thank you" when the job is done.)

Good job!
Good for you. Self-respect and self-confidence grow when your child's efforts and performance are rewarded. Whenever possible, give your child lots of praise. Be sure your praise is honest and specific. Focus on your child's efforts and progress, and help her identify her strengths.

It's time to... "It's time to get ready for bed," or "do homework," or "turn off the TV." Young children need structure in their daily lives to provide a measure of security in an often insecure world. It is up to you as a parent to establish and maintain a workable schedule of activities, always remembering that children benefit from regular mealtimes and bedtimes.

I love you.
Everyone needs love and affection and a feeling of acceptance and belonging. We can't assume that children know and understand our love for them unless we tell them. Letting your child know that you love him (and showing him with countless hugs) is important not only in toddlerhood, but also as he gets older.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Kanwulia: 10:48am On Nov 04, 2014
Use your inner voice. kiss
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by lilmax(m): 11:07am On Nov 04, 2014
Make sense

1 Like

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by bossminded: 11:48am On Nov 04, 2014
Kanwulia:
Use your inner voice. kiss

Dnt use ur inner voice ooo... kids dnt read minds..... d same tin our parents did nd dy failed in dier "parenting" job

2 Likes

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Kanwulia: 11:53am On Nov 04, 2014
bossminded:

Dnt use ur inner voice ooo... kids dnt read minds..... d same tin our parents did nd dy failed in dier "parenting" job

You misunderstood me.
I meant "don't yell"! kiss
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by bossminded: 11:57am On Nov 04, 2014
Kanwulia:

You misunderstood me.
I meant "don't yell"! kiss

Ok cool, my bad

I b dn para already grin
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by sheunfemix: 12:06pm On Nov 04, 2014
cheesy u had better not tell my little girl "tell me more" she will talk ur ears off literally!. Instead I just say
Okay..,
Really?
Aww, too bad or that's good.
That way she knows I'm listening but she doesn't have to talk so much.
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by smartmom(f): 1:50pm On Nov 04, 2014
sheunfemix:
cheesy u had better not tell my little girl "tell me more" she will talk ur ears off literally!. Instead I just say
Okay..,
Really?
Aww, too bad or that's good.
That way she knows I'm listening but she doesn't have to talk so much.

You too? wink tongue ooooh my daughter loves the sound of her own voice I tell you. She is a blowbyblow storyteller. Kai! I thank daily I only have 1 of her. All the same, I guess life will be kinda dull if we only had her 3 brothers. She is the 'spice' in the mix grin
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by smartmom(f): 1:54pm On Nov 04, 2014
Good thread for sincere parents who would help the self esteem of their kids. Similar thread here too:

http://nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/kunena/boosting-your-child-s-self-esteem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Papisho(m): 6:32am On Nov 05, 2014
Children are so adorable and innocent(novice) when younger (2-6yrs), the eairlier you start molding their mind, the better the future holds for them in the society.." Train your child in the way of the lord so when he grows he'll will not depart from it".
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by gidjah(m): 7:26am On Nov 05, 2014
this one is a good piece.will share this wit madam

1 Like

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by imurboss: 12:03pm On Nov 05, 2014
Lovely tips

1 Like

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Papisho(m): 8:17pm On Nov 13, 2014
smartmom:

You too? wink tongue ooooh my daughter loves the sound of her own voice I tell you. She is a blowbyblow storyteller. Kai! I thank daily I only have 1 of her. All the same, I guess life will be kinda dull if we only had her 3 brothers. She is the 'spice' in the mix grin

Its good when you have a talking child cos its easier to communicate which builds more confidence in a child

1 Like

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by smartmom(f): 10:03am On Nov 14, 2014
Papisho:

Its good when you have a talking child cos its easier to communicate which builds more confidence in a child

I agree. She can never keep any secret that may harm her from us. Abuse of any kind will not find her a target because she will spill the beans wink for that I am grateful

1 Like

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 14, 2014
I have 3 grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by KingTom(m): 10:20pm On Nov 14, 2014
Had I been told all this as a child I would probably have followed my passion to become a mechanic. Instead I'm a Doctor because of words like:
You must be crazy?
S'owa daada?
I will reset your brain with my belt!
Ewure!
And the best of them all is;
Your head is just a big bowl of senseless Akamu!

What a cruel World! cry cry cry
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by andre82(m): 10:34pm On Nov 14, 2014
Lols. Time still dey na. U fit go back *kidding* Anyway, nice write up. I'm an expectant father so this is very useful
KingTom:
Had I been told all this as a child I would probably have followed my passion to become a mechanic. Instead I'm a Doctor because of words like:
You must be crazy?
S'owa daada?
Ewure!

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by KingTom(m): 5:25am On Nov 15, 2014
andre82:
Lols. Time still dey na. U fit go back *kidding* Anyway, nice write up. I'm an expectant father so this is very useful
Time no dey again na. Anyway congratulations cheesy
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by andre82(m): 10:33am On Nov 15, 2014
Lols...thanks too...
KingTom:

Time no dey again na. Anyway congratulations cheesy
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Papisho(m): 7:36am On Nov 16, 2014
KingTom:
You must be crazy?
S'owa daada?
Ewure!

I'm glad u know the impact the above words had on you, I'm sure u'll make amends training your own child..

Thinking aloud/lighter mood: I guess you must have been so sturborn as a child. I'm sure u had strokes of cane in addition to those words..lol

[b][/b]Your head is just a big bowl of senseless Akamu! grin cheesy
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Papisho(m): 7:59am On Nov 16, 2014
smartmom:

I agree. She can never keep any secret that may harm her from us. Abuse of any kind will not find her a target because she will spill the beans wink for that I am grateful

You should be grateful indeed cos Its a wicked world out there and you can't always be with your child,i.e nanny, crech, school, even with friends.. On seeing them, e.g. after school,you can ask questions like:
1. How are you
2. Have you eaten
3. How was your day,
4. What happened in school today e.t.c

For the talking child, u'll sure get answers than expected

Communication is so key to raising a child as this will build your relationship and confidence in the Child. I wish all parent will see this.
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by smartmom(f): 7:49pm On Nov 16, 2014
Papisho:

You should be grateful indeed cos Its a wicked world out there and you can't always be with your child,i.e nanny, crech, school, even with friends.. On seeing them, e.g. after school,you can ask questions like:
1. How are you
2. Have you eaten
3. How was your day,
4. What happened in school today e.t.c

For the talking child, u'll sure get answers than expected

Communication is so key to raising a child as this will build your relationship and confidence in the Child. I wish all parent will see this

You are soooo right. Many parents are way too busy and distracted or pre occupied earning to cater for these very kids that are being abused and destroyed by employees. Before it comes to the knowledge of the parents, its often too late to be fixed.
Here is a link to where parents of like mimds are discussing, sharing and learning on how to prevent this dangerous trend:http://nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/kunena/boosting-your-child-s-self-esteem
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Papisho(m): 7:57am On Nov 29, 2014
[quote author=smartmom post=28074010]

You are soooo right. Many parents are way too busy and distracted or pre occupied earning to cater for these very kids that are being abused and destroyed by employees. Before it comes to the knowledge of the parents, its often too late to be fixed.
Here is a link to where parents of like mimds are discussing, sharing and learning on how to prevent this dangerous trend:http://nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/kunena/boosting-your-child-s-self-esteem[/quote

Its a nice and informative forum
Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by Papisho(m): 2:36pm On Jan 04, 2015
smartmom:

Here is a link to where parents of like mimds are discussing, sharing and learning on how to prevent this dangerous trend:http://nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/kunena/boosting-your-child-s-self-esteem

It is a nice and informative forum

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Words/phrase To Tell Your Child Everday by MMotimo: 5:44am On Jan 05, 2015

God is on your side and through Him, you can do all things

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Your Wife's Nude Pictures / Rate Of Pregnancy These Days Quite Alarming!! / Family Uses Picture Of A Dead Man Drinking Beer In His Obituary Poster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.