Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,871 members, 7,810,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

Gender Stereotypes Part II - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gender Stereotypes Part II (2932 Views)

Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality / Gender Stereotypes Part I / Can You Determine The Gender Of Your Child Before Conceiving? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 05, 2014
Since many users lost track of the entire discussion and we still have not discussed all stereotypes, I decided to open another thread so that more people can partake.

Another stereotype, that has not been thoroughly discussed on my other thread, is that men are better leaders.

Some people will spontaneously say that it is true and others will disagree.

I believe that leadership qualities are NOT determined by gender but rather by our personalities and abilities but a study that has been repeatedly quoted in a number of articles and blogs claims that ...

"(...) As far as the 16 researched differentiating leadership competencies are concerned women excelled in a majority of areas."

http://www.zfco.com/media/articles/ZFCo.WP.WomenBetterThanMen.033012.pdf

And another research proves that ...

"More women at the top, higher returns

Researchers have long found ties between having women on a company's board of directors and better financial performance. Now, a new report from Credit Suisse offers more evidence that a better gender mix among senior managers is linked with better results.

While many academics and other firms have conducted similar studies, the report released Tuesday by Credit Suisse may very well be the largest of its kind. The bank's research arm has created a database that will track the gender mix of some 28,000 executives at 3,000 companies in 40 countries around the world on an ongoing basis. The report then compared that data to the financial results of the companies.

What it found: better performance for companies that have women on the board (just as it found last time). But the bank also looked at women not on the board, and saw a link between companies with more female executives and higher returns on equity, higher valuations, better stock performance and higher payouts of dividends."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-leadership/wp/2014/09/24/more-women-at-the-top-higher-returns/

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 05, 2014
I really would like to read the females response to this thread. Especially females that believe men should be the head of the family.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 05, 2014
BananaBender:
I really would like to read the females response to this thread. Especially females that believe men should be the head of the family.

You are back ............. finally. wink
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Mynd44: 6:57pm On Nov 05, 2014
**following**
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 05, 2014
Mynd44:
**following**

Welcome. wink
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by humilitypays(m): 7:27pm On Nov 05, 2014
BananaBender:
Being head of a family is different from being head of: an organisation, a society, etc. It is natural for a man to be the head of the family; doesn't mean that women can't also lead the family, they can but if the husband is alive, he should.

So don't bring in family leadership into this because its a diff thing entirely.

3 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 05, 2014
humilitypays:
Being head of a family is different from being head of: an organisation, a society, etc. It is natural for a man to be the head of the family; doesn't mean that women can't also lead the family, they can but if the husband is alive, he should.

So don't bring in family leadership into this because its a diff thing entirely.

How is being the head of a family different from being the head of an organization?

If there can be two or more leaders in an organization, why can't there be two leaders in a family?

Why is it natural for a man to be the head of the family?

Why should the husband be the sole leader?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 05, 2014
BananaBender:
don't you believe men should be head?
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Fkforyou(m): 7:35pm On Nov 05, 2014
Well,I missed the other thread, I intend to follow this one dilligently.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 05, 2014
^^ Welcome!
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by humilitypays(m): 7:47pm On Nov 05, 2014
carefreewannabe:

How is being the head of a family different from being the head of an organization?

If there can be two or more leaders in an organization, why can't there be two leaders in a family?

Why is it natural for a man to be the head of the family?

Why should the husband be the sole leader?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
family is a diff type of institution from other institutions/orgs, in the sense that others are governed by laid down constitution, bi-laws, etc whereas family has no formal constitution that everyone must follow, that's one.

No institution can have 2 equal leaders; one must be higher than the other- e.g, prime minister vs president, prime minister vs queen or king, etc. Same way, no ship can have two captains, else the ship is destined to wreck.

Why should the husband be the sole leader? He isn't the sole leader; the wife is also part of the family leadership, but just as some countries have prime minister and president with diff level of power, healthy family should have a good wife and a good husband who understands their limits and powers. Pls I'm not arguing your opinion; if u would like to be the leader of your marriage and your husband agrees and it works for you guys, that's awesome, but I think it is natural and healthier for a man to be the head of a family. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 05, 2014
humilitypays:
family is a diff type of institution from other institutions/orgs, in the sense that others are governed by laid down constitution, bi-laws, etc whereas family has no formal constitution that everyone must follow, that's one.

No institution can have 2 equal leaders; one must be higher than the other- e.g, prime minister vs president, prime minister vs queen or king, etc. Same way, no ship can have two captains, else the ship is destined to wreck.

Why should the husband be the sole leader? He isn't the sole leader; the wife is also part of the family leadership, but just as some countries have prime minister and president with diff level of power, healthy family should have a good wife and a good husband who understands their limits and powers. Pls I'm not arguing your opinion; if u would like to be the leader of your marriage and your husband agrees and it works for you guys, that's awesome, but I think it is natural and healthier for a man to be the head of a family. Thanks

Thanks for your answer.

I don't think you are arguing my opinion. Let us not make it personal.
We are discussing the topic here, not our relationships / families.

You say that a family cannot be compared to any organization but then you compare it to other organizations (state, business) to explain why a man should be the head. This is a contradiction. Well, I will take up your comparisons to discuss leadership in families.

You say that a country has got one Prime Minister so there should also be one leader in a family. A democratically elected Prime Minister or President cannot do whatever he wants. He needs to be democratically elected and his or her decisions need the support of his or her cabinet and even that of other parties in the parliament. He needs the majority of the votes in parliament. Who authorizes a husband's decisions? Who controls his power and how?

You say that no institution can have two equal leaders but this is not true. There are plenty of successful companies with more than two equal leaders.
Coca Cola, for example, has more than one CEO.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by humilitypays(m): 8:19pm On Nov 05, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Thanks for your answer.

I don't think you are arguing my opinion. Let us not make it personal.
We are discussing the topic here, not our relationships / families.

You say that a family cannot be compared to any organization but then you compare it to other organizations (state, business) to explain why a man should be the head. This is a contradiction. Well, I will take up your comparisons to discuss leadership in families.

You say that a country has got one Prime Minister so there should also be one leader in a family. A democratically elected Prime Minister or President cannot do whatever he wants. He needs to be democratically elected and his or her decisions need the support of his or her cabinet and even that of other parties in the parliament. He needs the majority of the votes in parliament. Who authorizes a husband's decisions? Who controls his power and how?

You say that no institution can have two equal leaders but this is not true. There are plenty of successful companies with more than two equal leaders.
Coca Cola, for example, has more than one CEO.
Wife can challenge husband's decisions. Children also do, if they are of age. In my own family, my mum does have a big say in my father's decisions, and we the offspring also contribute and sometimes challenge my father's decisions, and he takes corrections where necessary.

In a healthy family setting, the husband doesn't operate like a tyrant, he carries every family member along.

Except you're talking about bad husbands, but good husbands don't rule their families, they lead them.

Coca Cola has CEOs in different locations; there can never be two CEOs in one location of plant.

For instance, Coca Cola in Africa is now under CC Hellenic, a South African firm, and they have one CEO in SA, with country CEOs in various locations.

No institution in the world has two equal leaders leading at the same time; there will be clash of power, inefficiency in management due to poor decision making.

Its not possible! One must be higher than the other for peace to reign.

4 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 8:36pm On Nov 05, 2014
humilitypays:
Wife can challenge husband's decisions. Children also do, if they are of age. In my own family, my mum does have a big say in my father's decisions, and we the offspring also contribute and sometimes challenge my father's decisions, and he takes corrections where necessary.

How can a wife challenge her husband's decisions?

In a healthy family setting, the husband doesn't operate like a tyrant, he carries every family member along.

Except you're talking about bad husbands, but good husbands don't rule their families, they lead them.

How do husbands lead?
And why doesn't the wife lead the family too?

Coca Cola has CEOs in different locations; there can never be two CEOs in one location of plant.

For instance, Coca Cola in Africa is now under CC Hellenic, a South African firm, and they have one CEO in SA, with country CEOs in various locations.

Please check this article.

Why Major Companies Like Oracle, Whole Foods, And Chipotle Have 2 CEOs

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-major-companies-have-2-ceos-2014-9#ixzz3IDyMTEnW

No institution in the world has two equal leaders leading at the same time; there will be clash of power, inefficiency in management due to poor decision making.

Not true. Aldi, a leading global discount supermarket was founded and run by two brothers for many years, successfully, obviously.

Its not possible! One must be higher than the other for peace to be peace.

See Aldi again.

Anyway.

Let us say, there must be only ONE leader.

Why does it have to be the man?
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 05, 2014
humilitypays:

what determines if a person is fit to be a leader is his/her leadership skills not gender smiley

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by iykedare(m): 11:02pm On Nov 05, 2014
Association of bitter feminists. You babes need d!,cks. Lack of it is your problem.

5 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by EfemenaXY: 11:13pm On Nov 05, 2014
Carefreewannabe - you're definitely on fire! cheesy cheesy

You go girl! kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by cococandy(f): 11:15pm On Nov 05, 2014
Following.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Stillfire: 11:47pm On Nov 05, 2014
iykedare:
Association of bitter feminists. You babes need d!,cks. Lack of it is your problem.

Stop being emotional.

4 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 6:03am On Nov 06, 2014
EfemenaXY:
Carefreewannabe - you're definitely on fire! cheesy cheesy

You go girl! kiss kiss kiss

kiss kiss kiss
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by freecocoa(f): 6:36am On Nov 06, 2014
I hope we don't lose track of the topic on this one too.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 06, 2014
carefreewannnabe cheesy

Love this babe!

so following this. smiley smiley
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by LewsTherin: 7:04am On Nov 06, 2014
There are many gender stereotypes I do not agree with. A good number of them are based on cultures. However, contrary to most people's belief, cultures and customs change. Once upon a time, it was tradition to wear particular animal hides during particular ceremonies. Today we wear particular cloth types for ceremonies that are very different from what we practiced then. Once, Chaka Zulu, the same great Chaka Zulu ordered his soldiers to train bare feet. Today any army that cannot provide proper boots for its troops will loose a war. Go ask Napoleon. My point is that as things change, as knowledge expands, as societal requirements evolve, cultures and traditions will change as well. Ergo, gender stereotypes based on culture and tradition are as usefull to me as a situation warrants. If the situation doesn't warrant, I can't be bothered and I don't agree with said stereotypes.

That said, there are stereotypes that I will not change, that should not change because of how and why they were instituted. I am a Christian in more than name. 1 Corinthians 11:3, Genesis 3:16, Ephesians 5:22, 5:25 all give the reasons why the male is the head of the house hold. It is so, because for reasons best known to God, He chose it to be so. But we should realise that the same God that made the husband head of the home is the same God that said the husband should head said home THE WAY CHRIST DOES HIS ie with love and servitude and honour and respect and regard and care. Christ is not an iron fisted dictator. He is a caring father. Do you realise He was almost always debating with His disciples? He always explained His reasons, He listened to their opinions, He valued their contributions even though He was God.

Irrespective of whatever society says, whatever culture and traditions say, I do what my God says.

For me, my Lady makes as many decisions as I do, as is needed. But where there is a tie breaker required, as head, I make it. But I do not sit with the morning's paper giving commands and instructions while she slaves in the kitchen, with the laundry, with the cleaning and still expect a great night afterwards. That is not Christian.

Worse, that is not even leadership.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by pickabeau1: 7:58am On Nov 06, 2014
The said world changing article in full

On Thursday, Oracle's Larry Ellison unexpectedly announced that he was stepping down from his CEO post and naming not one, but two CEOs to replace him. Co-president and CFO Safra Catz and co-president Mark Hurd will share the role of CEO.

Oracle isn't the first major company to tap more than one CEO at the same time. Chipotle, Whole Foods, and Deutsche Bank are also run by two CEOs. Samsung even has three of them. But why?

The co-CEO system is nothing new, though it is certainly uncommon. Previous implementations suggest that having more than one chief executive can help a company accomplish more by delegating different roles to each head. But the system is certainly not for every company.

Sometimes referred to as "two-in-the-box," the unusual structure can provide "increased scope and broader capacity," Joseph L. Bower, a management professor at Harvard Business School, told Business Insider.

Bower, author of "The CEO Within," thinks that co-CEOs can better lead certain companies.

"If one CEO is on a global tour of facilities, the other can deal with the government at home," Bower offered as an example. "It also increases the range of talents in the box. A visionary can be complemented by a hands-on operator."

At Oracle, for example, Katz will oversee manufacturing, finance, and legal decisions, while Hurd manages the sales, service, and global business units.

Some companies keep the founder in place and bring in an experienced executive to share the role. Both Chipotle and Whole Foods have kept the founder as one CEO, and both men remain the heart of their respective companies. That dynamic has shown that keeping a founder at the top as an inspirational lead and partnering them with a leader with more management experience can yield great results.

Steve Ells founded Chipotle in 1993 and served as its singular CEO until 2009, when he promoted Monty Moran to the same position from Moran's role as president and COO. That same year, Chipotle's annual earnings jumped 67% from 2008. Moran honed his delegation skills when he led a team of lawyers at the firm Messner Reeves, and those skills have complimented Ells' passion for culinary creativity.

Having dual CEOs is more common in countries like Germany, said Bower, where "collective management is a tradition of sorts." German companies Deutsche Bank and SAP both have two CEOs (though SAP co-CEO Jim Hagemann Snabe will step down to the supervisory board in May). German automaker Daimler AG only recently ended its run under co-CEOs.

Jack Zenger, CEO of the leadership research firm Zenger Folkman, agrees that the co-CEO structure could work well in some situations, such as a temporary solution after a big merger or when a CEO wants to groom their successor.

But the management structure also comes with significant downsides. Even when the two CEOs determine which duties to split, it's only natural that "one person is going to be held primo and the other person is going to play a secondary role," says Zenger. "To me, it seems like it raises an unnecessary set of issues that aren't really sustainable in the long run."

For example, having two CEOs of a small business, like online eyewear retailer Warby Parker's Neil Blumenthal and David Gilboa, could help grow the company by splitting major responsibilities, according to Zenger. But it could also create problems with clients who may be confused about who to consult about a major decision.

And though Zenger admits that having another executive to discuss something with before approaching the board is a benefit of the system, he thinks that co-CEOs risk overly complicating things by having to report to each other constantly.

Bower also recognizes that most companies that try the system will feel the strain of divided command. "It takes great discipline to consult when appropriate, be decisive when needed, and not blow up the arrangement when one's partner has violated an aspect of the arrangement," he said.

In 2008, for instance, media company Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia named Wenda Harris Millard and Robin Marino as dual CEOs. But the arrangement dissolved in less than a year, reportedly due to disagreements at the top.

Despite the risks, Bower thinks that the U.S. may be gradually moving toward a leadership culture more akin to Germany's, in which co-CEOs would not be such a rarity. "[A]s we strengthen the non-executive chairman's role, as well as the lead director, we may — in effect — be moving in that direction," he said.

Zenger, on the other hand, believes that the history of business leadership weighs too heavily against the co-CEO structure becoming mainstream anytime soon. "After centuries of experience, it's usually easier if there's one person who has the ultimate say," he said.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-major-companies-have-2-ceos-2014-9#ixzz3IGkIDxim

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Mynd44: 8:01am On Nov 06, 2014
pickabeau1:
The said world changing article in full

Great insight.

But will it work in the Nigerian setting where ego and arrogance seems to be a more potent driving force than collective good and success?

2 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by pickabeau1: 8:02am On Nov 06, 2014
Mynd44:

Great insight.

But will it work in the Nigerian setting where ego and arrogance seems to be a more potent driving force than collective good and success?

What is insightful about the article
What i see it that co ceo is at best a fanciful arrangement that works in certain cultures(Europe) and used for crises situations
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by An0nimus: 8:02am On Nov 06, 2014
Here we go again...

popcorn anyone?
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by EfemenaXY: 8:04am On Nov 06, 2014
An0nimus:
Here we go again...

popcorn anyone?

Is it salted? cheesy
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Mynd44: 8:06am On Nov 06, 2014
pickabeau1:

What i see it that co ceo is at best a fanciful arrangement that works in certain cultures(Europe) and used for crises situations
Well people are trying to draw up similarities between financial organizations and the home.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by pickabeau1: 8:07am On Nov 06, 2014
Mynd44:

Well people are trying to draw up similarities between financial organizations and the home.

Ok..anyone can draw anything

I ask u

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by An0nimus: 8:11am On Nov 06, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Is it salted? cheesy

Yes o. The show is just getting started.

*spreads big mat* grin

2 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Mynd44: 8:11am On Nov 06, 2014
pickabeau1:

Ok..anyone can draw anything

I ask u

Two CEOs in one company. I have never thought of it, I still dont see how much it will work perhaps cos I have being programmed into the believe in one overall boss.

Might just be my inexperience though

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Girl Today You Wont Believe It. / Kindly Rate me and my Son (Photo) / Is Verbal Abuse As Bad As Physical Abuse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.