Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Gender Stereotypes Part II - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gender Stereotypes Part II (2948 Views)

Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality / Gender Stereotypes Part I / Can You Determine The Gender Of Your Child Before Conceiving? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by pickabeau1: 8:11am On Nov 06, 2014
Mynd44:

Two CEOs in one company. I have never thought of it, I still dont see how much it will work perhaps cos I have being programmed into the believe in one overall boss.

Might just be my inexperience though

ok.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by pickabeau1: 8:26am On Nov 06, 2014
Mynd44:

Great insight.

But will it work in the Nigerian setting where ego and arrogance seems to be a more potent driving force than collective good and success?

i just saw this

Did u read the full article

If u look at the article i dont think ego or arrogance is patented to nigeria undecided
And though Zenger admits that having another executive to discuss something with before approaching the board is a benefit of the system, he thinks that co-CEOs risk overly complicating things by having to report to each other constantly.

Bower also recognizes that most companies that try the system will feel the strain of divided command. "It takes great discipline to consult when appropriate, be decisive when needed, and not blow up the arrangement when one's partner has violated an aspect of the arrangement," he said.

In 2008, for instance, media company Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia named Wenda Harris Millard and Robin Marino as dual CEOs. But the arrangement dissolved in less than a year, reportedly due to disagreements at the top.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Tallesty1(m): 8:27am On Nov 06, 2014
Mynd44:
**following**
Same here
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Tallesty1(m): 8:38am On Nov 06, 2014
BananaBender:
I really would like to read the females response to this thread. Especially females that believe men should be the head of the family.
This is why the goal of Nigerian feminism frustrates me.

While we are busy, praying hoping and working to see if we can live in a truly equitable society, this confused bunch are busy launching programs upon programs that are anti-family.

How can you dictate how another person should run his/her own family?

2 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by DJDOLA(m): 8:40am On Nov 06, 2014
Pls its about life and death I need help here..www.nairaland.com/1963635/need
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by tmosco(m): 8:51am On Nov 06, 2014
Mynd44:

Two CEOs in one company. I have never thought of it, I still dont see how much it will work perhaps cos I have being programmed into the believe in one overall boss.

Might just be my inexperience though

Both d CEOs are in charge of different aspects. But if d company fails one will held more responsible than d other according 2 wat an individual said in d article,
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by iykedare(m): 9:28am On Nov 06, 2014
Stillfire:

Stop being emotional.

Beautiful nkemooo, you deserve better than always pitching tent with feminists.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 10:07am On Nov 06, 2014
The day women marry down without looking down at the husband, that day I'll believe in gender equality. wink
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by bukatyne(f): 10:14am On Nov 06, 2014
LewsTherin:
There are many gender stereotypes I do not agree with. A good number of them are based on cultures. However, contrary to most people's belief, cultures and customs change. Once upon a time, it was tradition to wear particular animal hides during particular ceremonies. Today we wear particular cloth types for ceremonies that are very different from what we practiced then. Once, Chaka Zulu, the same great Chaka Zulu ordered his soldiers to train bare feet. Today any army that cannot provide proper boots for its troops will loose a war. Go ask Napoleon. My point is that as things change, as knowledge expands, as societal requirements evolve, cultures and traditions will change as well. Ergo, gender stereotypes based on culture and tradition are as usefull to me as a situation warrants. If the situation doesn't warrant, I can't be bothered and I don't agree with said stereotypes.

That said, there are stereotypes that I will not change, that should not change because of how and why they were instituted. I am a Christian in more than name. 1 Corinthians 11:3, Genesis 3:16, Ephesians 5:22, 5:25 all give the reasons why the male is the head of the house hold. It is so, because for reasons best known to God, He chose it to be so. But we should realise that the same God that made the husband head of the home is the same God that said the husband should head said home THE WAY CHRIST DOES HIS ie with love and servitude and honour and respect and regard and care. Christ is not an iron fisted dictator. He is a caring father. Do you realise He was almost always debating with His disciples? He always explained His reasons, He listened to their opinions, He valued their contributions even though He was God.

Irrespective of whatever society says, whatever culture and traditions say, I do what my God says.

For me, my Lady makes as many decisions as I do, as is needed. But where there is a tie breaker required, as head, I make it. But I do not sit with the morning's paper giving commands and instructions while she slaves in the kitchen, with the laundry, with the cleaning and still expect a great night afterwards. That is not Christian.

Worse, that is not even leadership.

This nailed it as regards the family front

And family is no way comparable to an organization
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by bukatyne(f): 10:17am On Nov 06, 2014
freshdude2:
The day women marry down without looking down at the husband, that day I'll believe in gender equality. wink

Have you surveyed all the marriages in Nigeria to know that all the women married 'up'? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 06, 2014
Pikabeau, i thought u dey quarrel carefree cheesy
Shift jare,
One of the things that u cant fake, is online fight. U r not good at it at all cheesy
Thats why it still amaze me seeing u doing it cos u r never d type.
And it doesnt fit u at all.

Dont swallow me o! cheesy
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by pickabeau1: 11:33am On Nov 06, 2014
I dont get your point..

Are u saying i should not comment on a forum

undecided

moca:
[s]Pikabeau, i thought u dey quarrel carefree cheesy
Shift jare,
One of the things that u cant fake, is online fight. U r not good at it at all cheesy
Thats why it still amaze me seeing u doing it cos u r never d type.
And it doesnt fit u at all.
Dont swallow me o! cheesy[/s]
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 11:33am On Nov 06, 2014
bukatyne:

Have you surveyed all the marriages in Nigeria to know that all the women married 'up'? cheesy
There are homosexxuals among both sexes, planes crash, career robbers have been known to go to heaven. The exception maketh not the rule. tongue

bukatyne:

And family is no way comparable to an organization
The family is an organisation, or at the very least, a department in the organisation of society.

@LewsTherin, I think you meant service and not servitude in your post. Check to confirm.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by bukatyne(f): 11:46am On Nov 06, 2014
freshdude2:
There are homosexxuals among both sexes, planes crash, career robbers have been known to go to heaven. The exception maketh not the rule. tongue

The family is an organisation, or at the very least, a department in the organisation of society.

@LewsTherin, I think you meant service and not servitude in your post. Check to confirm.

LOL!

I do not sleep with my boss/colleagues/subordinates neither do I feel gushy when they tell me I am beautiful tongue or do they rub my legs and carry me to the room/position me to sleep properly.

My marriage is definitely not like an 'organisation'

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Stillfire: 11:54am On Nov 06, 2014
iykedare:

Beautiful nkemooo, you deserve better than always pitching tent with feminists.

Nigerian men forever eating from my palms since 1900. Sorry to burst your bubble, that's not me.
Can't believe how nice you are after seeing a beautiful pic, buhahaha.
Men can't resist beautiful people even if they can't stand their character, rotflmao!
It's good to be fine o. cool cool cool cool cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 06, 2014
bukatyne:

1. I do not sleep with my boss/colleagues/subordinates neither do I feel gushy when they tell me I am beautiful tongue or do they rub my legs and carry me to the room/position me to sleep properly.

2. My marriage is definitely not like an 'organisation'
1. A social unit of people that is structured and
managed to meet a need or to pursue collective
goals. All organizations have a management
structure that determines relationships between the
different activities and the members, and subdivides
and assigns roles, responsibilities, and authority to
carry out different tasks. Organizations are open
systems--they affect and are affected by their
environment.

m.businessdictionary.com/definition/organization.html

OR:

An organisation is an entity, such as an institution or an
association, that has a collective goal and is linked to
an external environment. The word is derived from
the Greek word organon, itself derived from the
better-known word ergon which means "organ".

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization

2. Please confirm that your marriage isn't in any way like the above definitions. tongue wink
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by bukatyne(f): 12:52pm On Nov 06, 2014
freshdude2:

1. A social unit of people that is structured and
managed to meet a need or to pursue collective
goals. All organizations have a management
structure that determines relationships between the
different activities and the members, and subdivides
and assigns roles, responsibilities, and authority to
carry out different tasks. Organizations are open
systems--they affect and are affected by their
environment.

m.businessdictionary.com/definition/organization.html

OR:

An organisation is an entity, such as an institution or an
association, that has a collective goal and is linked to
an external environment. The word is derived from
the Greek word organon, itself derived from the
better-known word ergon which means "organ".

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization

2. Please confirm that your marriage isn't in any way like the above definitions. tongue wink

1. I thought we were referring to organization as per company? Just like submission in Christian marriage is 'different' from dictionary definition, same with organization as per company

2. Let's say it's like 2 tongue
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 06, 2014
bukatyne:

1. I thought we were referring to organization as per company? Just like submission in Christian marriage is 'different' from dictionary definition, same with organization as per company

2. Let's say it's like 2 tongue

1. Well, a company is an organisation, an organisation is not always a company. That's the angle I was looking at it from.
Also, submission in th bible and dictionary have the same meaning. Any complication arises strictly as a result of practice. What I mean is submission in marriage would be differently practised from submission in the workplace or in regard to public authority(read law enforcement).

2 tongue. Gracious.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by bukatyne(f): 1:58pm On Nov 06, 2014
freshdude2:

1. Well, a company is an organisation, an organisation is not always a company. That's the angle I was looking at it from.
Also, submission in th bible and dictionary have the same meaning. Any complication arises strictly as a result of practice. What I mean is submission in marriage would be differently practised from submission in the workplace or in regard to public authority(read law enforcement).

2 tongue. Gracious.

True that, I was not looking at it that way
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by iykedare(m): 2:03pm On Nov 06, 2014
Stillfire:

Nigerian men forever eating from my palms since 1900. Sorry to burst your bubble, that's not me.
Can't believe how nice you are after seeing a beautiful pic, buhahaha.
Men can't resist beautiful people even if they can't stand their character, rotflmao!

busted! you are not nice at all. grin grin grin

who is that nkem?

Stillfire:

so you are not fine... angry angry angry angry
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by humilitypays(m): 3:09pm On Nov 06, 2014
Mondisweets:
what determines if a person is fit to be a leader is his/her leadership skills not gender smiley
First, you must understand that in every rule there is an exception, and marriage is an exception in this regard.

Some men are successul in managing and leading their family/marriage but aren't successful in leading their society and organisation.

It is the introduction of corporate mindset, too much academic wisdom, corporate laws, constitutions and corporate modes of operation into modern marriages that is ruining 21st century marriages. Please let the Holy Bible guide you if you want a happy family.

@carefreewannabe, I am not arguing your points; I also observe that you are an intelligent lady, but pls don't let your academic intelligence and modern knowledge affect your marital decisions. Sometimes in life, we need to play fool for things to work for us and for us to be happy. Being smart or playing too wise and knowledgeable in everything in life sometimes lead us to harm and loss.

Wear humility like a garment and you will enjoy life.
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2014
humilitypays:
First, you must understand that in every rule there is an exception, and marriage is an exception in this regard.

Some men are successul in managing and leading their family/marriage but aren't successful in leading their society and organisation.

It is the introduction of corporate mindset, too much academic wisdom, corporate laws, constitutions and corporate modes of operation into modern marriages that is ruining 21st century marriages. Please let the Holy Bible guide you if you want a happy family.

@carefreewannabe, I am not arguing your points; I also observe that you are an intelligent lady, but pls don't let your academic intelligence and modern knowledge affect your marital decisions. Sometimes in life, we need to play fool for things to work for us and for us to be happy. Being smart or playing too wise and knowledgeable in everything in life sometimes lead us to harm and loss.

so women should put on the "veil of ignorance" in life in order for things to work for them, but men should never be expected to do the same for things to work out for them abi?

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 06, 2014
pickabeau1:
I dont get your point..

Are u saying i should not comment on a forum

undecided

Jeez!
U r so cold.
Even when one humours u.
Abeg ignore me
Sorry o i tried to.
Wont try it again.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by humilitypays(m): 3:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
Mondisweets:
so women should put on the "veil of ignorance" in life in order for things to work for them, but men should never be expected to do the same for things to work out for them abi?
pls I am not here to fight for anybody. I didn't mention women: I said sometimes in life “we”, meaning anybody, woman or man. Don't drag me into any battle pls; we all have our belief n how we plan to run our families; as for me, I want a happy family. Have a nice day ma
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by pickabeau1: 3:37pm On Nov 06, 2014
moca:

Jeez!
U r so cold.
Even when one humours u.
Abeg ignore me
Sorry o i tried to.
Wont try it again.

I'm not cold
I like to be clear as I don't want to assume
Have fun
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 4:15pm On Nov 06, 2014
humilitypays:

Thanks for the compliment.

I don't believe in playing a fool. I have never done it and I doubt, I ever will.
It has worked for me fine this way.

I believe in humility and I enjoy my life.
Thanks for the advice though.

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Fkforyou(m): 4:24pm On Nov 06, 2014
^^^^ what your opinion about this statement?“You hit like a girl“.......is it stereotypical?
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Nobody: 4:26pm On Nov 06, 2014
Fkforyou:
^^^^ what your opinion about this statement?“You hit like a girl“.......is it stereotypical?

What does it mean "You hit like a girl"?

1 Like

Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Stillfire: 7:33pm On Nov 08, 2014
iykedare:

busted! you are not nice at all. grin grin grin

who is that nkem?

so you are not fine... angry angry angry angry

You wish!
Re: Gender Stereotypes Part II by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:53pm On Nov 08, 2014
For me the question is not whether men make better leaders than women ... It is more of the fact that men are wired to be leaders. It has nothing to do whether they end up been better leaders.

Nature has made men over the years the more dominant human specie ... We are more assertive and have a way of enforcing our political will unlike women.

The male specie is Territorial this trait can be seen even in animals.

To become a leader most times is not really defined by how smart you are, or the leadership skills you posses but how bold, daring, risk taking and brave you are. How willing you are to take on responsibilities and to rise up to the challenge. Something that comes naturally to men than women.

We are wired to be fighters, and our basic instinct is to be in control.

If it were by smartness or leadership skills we would not have agberos as senators and really smart people as lecturers.

Seldom is leadership given to any one on a platter of gold. It is fought for, worked for, it is earned.

To seat at the table of men you have to go through the journey of a man. Ask the women who are leaders how they got there.

Now to answer your question directly ... What makes a good leader is highly subjective up till today.

Yes a couple of research like the one Op quoted have sprouted out touting women to be better leaders and the popular belief is that the reason for this trend is the recent trend towards transformational leadership and its emphasis on empowerment, collaboration and emotional intelligence – traits traditionally associated with women – Moreover the stumbling block here is that males can also develop these traits if they want to ... It does not exclusively belong to women.

The fact is that while the research is saying something else the reality on ground is completely different.

To be a leader you don't just merit it your must fight for it. You must earn it, you must work for it... Something the average man is willing and wired to do. If you are a woman and you do same you will can get to top as well.

But in my opinion, I think both make better leaders than the other depending on the scenario.

For example, it has been discovered in traditionally male dominated, masculine organizations like governments or the military, male leaders were more effective , while women triumphed in more ‘feminine’ environments that thrived more emotional intelligence like social services and education, marketing ...

In reagards to the family, the man been the head of the house ... is something that women can't take away from men ... It's like how women are wired to be nurturers and less assertive, men are also wired to be providers, very assertive and in turn always desire to be in control.

Moreover their sometimes occur a naturally anomaly where you have a very assertive and love to be in control woman a trait very common in most feminist. In this scenario it is advisable you look for a very submissive man to compliment you because by default the average man is wired to defend his territory and authority and he can go to any length to protect it.

No amount of research can change the fact that they drive to lead is encoded in the DNA of the average man. It's just one of our basic animal survival instinct.

#MathewBriggs

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Very Urgent Pls / All The Young Men In My Compound Has Slept With My Wife I Am Devastated / Someone Sent This To Me On Facebook It's Creepy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.