Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

When Should Kids Start School? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Should Kids Start School? (642 Views)

What Age Should Kids Stop Bathing With Their Parents? / What Is The Right Age For A Child To Start School? / What Is The Right Age To Start School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Should Kids Start School? by dein77(m): 5:40pm On Nov 06, 2014
This matter don cause some gbege between my wife and I when our son wanted to start school.

I suggested he should start at three. She suggested he should start by a year and 6 months. After some compromise, we agreed him to start by 2 and a half years.

In PH, it's like it's now a competition. Kids less than 2 years are rushed into the classroom. These kids are deprived adequate sleep and proper brain development. Some uniform be like buba! All in a hurry to have kids graduate by 14.

I know kids mental abilities vary from one another. But there should be some safe periods kids should be introduced to the rigours of academic, plus the daily movement to and from school. PH traffic around Woji na die!

When will you consider your kids mature enough for academics?
Re: When Should Kids Start School? by emeraldoe(f): 6:58pm On Nov 06, 2014
My daughter started at 1 and she coped well, she is 4yrs old now. Her brother is 1yr 8mths and has not started but he can count to 20 on his own and recite some poems. Basically, it depends on ur routine either workin class or sit-at-home mom. I'm workin and my mum is with me so I decided to leave him at home till he is 2yrs. 'mature enough for academics'- at the early stage, they are taught sounds, identification and colouring. It depends on wot u want.

1 Like

Re: When Should Kids Start School? by teeboo: 8:09am On Nov 07, 2014
shocked Which adequate sleep,I was forced to register my 16months old son last week,he doesn't sleep in d afternoon,I shout frm morning till night,he wakes up 5am in d morning and starts disturbing d whole house,I wake up to feed him middle of night,I hardly sleep both afternoon and night,atleast I'll rest a little b4 he return frm school,after crying 4 a week,nw after dressing up he carry his bag himsef and head 2 d car 4 schl

3 Likes

Re: When Should Kids Start School? by Juzzybabe(f): 10:41am On Nov 07, 2014
If your kid is active at 1,i think its a good age to start only that the schooling system in Nigeria is just too hard,where they keep nursery kids in school from 7-4pm claiming they are teaching after school lesson. What lesson can a 1 year old be possible taking in after 12 pm?

(1) (Reply)

The Faith Angle / A Food For Thought / For All Parents To Ponder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.