Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? (21660 Views)

Lecturer Collects Undergraduate's Slippers In UNILORIN (image) / What Was Your Reason For Choosing Your Course Of Study In The University / Rep Your School Here And Your Course Of Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by psychologist(m): 12:38am On Nov 08, 2014
saxywale:

To be honest, that is hard to say because Physics is very broad. You don't need a PGDIP in elect/electronics. You would be offered straight admission to the Msc if you graduate with atleast a 2.2. You might even develop other interest apart from those two listed. e.g One of friend(a physics graduate) is a chartered account working with one of the big firms. One of my Oga back at Uni infact gained employment after graduation as a business analyst with (One of the Big 4), after 2 years, he moved to telco(one of the 4 in Nigeria). Now he works with Mobil unlimited as an exploration geophysicist. I called him Oga because I haven't in my life met someone as brilliant has that guy. He is a genius.

Another Physics graduate I know is working as a medical Physicist in one of the FMC's. I have another senior working as an instrumentation engineer in one of the Subsea engineering coy. One of my Junior is working as a welding Engineer/NDT in one of the biggest fabrication firms for the Oil and Gas industry. I don't want to mention the companies on here as the guy is on Nairaland. Another is working as a Materials and metallurgical engineering in one of the in the UK.

Yours truly worked as a Credit Analyst(UK and Nigeria), Transportation Engineer(UK). Now I am trying to get into the quality Engineering/welding/NDT sector here in Canada. That is how flexible a physics degree is. The career option you have with a physics degree is numerous, that is why they call Physics, the ''Bedrock of Engineering''. I move with the need of whichever country I find myself. Now my background in Physics is what made me so flexible.

What I can advise is that get in first, by the time you get to your 3rd or 4th year, then you can start thinking of specializing. But remember to finish strong. It would give you a better chance in the competitive job market.

My 2 cents. wink
bro God bless you, as i will also need your advise here
i have been offered admission by 2 institution's
1 yabatech to study civil engineering
2 aksu to study applied geophysics...
which would you advise me to go for considering the marketability of the both course and the issue of Hnd and B.sc saga tnx as u ansa

*modified @ jarus and all you guys can also help a brother in answering this....God bless
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 3:35am On Nov 08, 2014
Jamzig1:
^^^^
Wow! i am very impressed with what i am seeing. Knowing what people that passed through the field are achieving/have achieved gives me inspiration to do more. Thanks a lot for the insight...by the way are u sure i don't need a pgdip b4 msc.elect/elect cos most universites requirements i have checked said d opposite..Thanks again
Well...different universities have different requirements based on how popular the university is. That is why you have to aim for a first, or 2.1 to become competitive for further studies and jobs.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 3:52am On Nov 08, 2014
psychologist:
which would you advise me to go for considering the marketability of the both course and the issue of Hnd and B.sc saga tnx as u ansa

*modified @ jarus and all you guys can also help a brother in answering this....God bless
Both courses are marketable in Nigeria. Civil is more versatile though(You can work in construction, engineering, surveying, estimating, transport, environmental, structural firms e.t.c) if you don't mind the saga and discrimination that comes with having a degree or diploma.
Also, if you excel well in the ordinary diploma program, you have the option of transferring to a university via direct entry to continue your studies to degree level.

But then again, Geophysics is also a very good course that comes with good remuneration if you can break into one of the O&G companies.

I would advise you go for the course that you feel you would enjoy most.

Some people like electrical and electronic stuff right from a very young age and they try to fix every broken electrical/electronic equipment at home, so they would perform best in an electrical/electronic engineering program.
Others are fascinated by machines and heavy industrial equipment, hence they would be excellent candidates in a Mechanical design and engineering program.

So search your heart and go for the one you feel you would enjoy most both in the classroom and later on as a career.

1 Like

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 3:56am On Nov 08, 2014
nice post
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Education01(m): 4:43am On Nov 08, 2014
ADMISSION ADMISSION ADMISSIOM
Admission into 200level to Unilorin or any other institution of your choice and any course of study.
the Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) is an Eight (cool months A'level program that offers admission into 200level in any field of study. the 2015 session registration has commenced but forms are still available online and at the centre.

Check page two (2) of any Jamb Brochure to confirm IJMB as a requirement for University Admission in Nigeria
For more info about IJMB registration and general enquiries, visit www.ijmblink.com
HELP LINE : 08035528553 08180403630
Facebook page: IJMB LINK
Follow us on twitter: @ijmblink
Add us on whatsapp: 08035528553
BBM channel: C00126233
Send us a mail: administration@ijmb.com
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by MsNas(f): 4:44am On Nov 08, 2014
psychologist:

Please grab the Geophysics option. Way more marketable. My opinion Tho..
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by MsNas(f): 4:48am On Nov 08, 2014
Jarus:

That is my point. And some people are wailing for being "given" physics.
Lol. I was also "given" Physics. I graduated and went into O&G.. Their IT section tho. I've got friends whom I graduated with that went into Engineering, Geology etc and are doing quite well. Make the best out of any situation.

2 Likes

Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by ThoniaSlim(f): 6:20am On Nov 08, 2014
In Nigeria it doesn't, but abroad it does! Trust me no credible company would employ a Nurse to fill an engineering vacancy. undecided
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 08, 2014
ThoniaSlim:
In Nigeria it doesn't, but abroad it does! Trust me no credible company would employ a Nurse to fill an engineering vacancy. undecided
Those two are regulated courses or what OP called highly specialized courses. For courses not regulated, or where one can sit for professional exams or certifications, same applies abroad as in Nigeria. There are doctors and Engineers working as investment, corporate and retail bankers in developed countries.
In Nigeria, you would also not find engineers working as Nurses and vice versa. wink
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Jamzig1(m): 7:07am On Nov 08, 2014
saxywale:

Well...different universities have different requirements based on how popular the university is. That is why you have to aim for a first, or 2.1 to become competitive for further studies and jobs.
Okay, thanks again for your response
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Frankestein08(m): 9:56am On Nov 08, 2014
alentyno:
Yes very true it doesn't really matter

Unfortunately many people just never get it.

You see someone writing jamb 6 times all because he wants to study medicine. Smh

it matters, it's you who don't get it.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Gynacologist(m): 6:06pm On Nov 09, 2014
ikeola6:
Does course of study really matter? No,I don't think so. I met a guy who works as a chemist and he is not a chemist and cannot define chemistry,but this guy taught me what real life chemistry is all about and not what I read in textbooks.

Just imagine the guy being the boss of a chemistry student, I hope he heads the QC department soon.
chemistry of lyf....wow....wat in particular did he tell yah....just curious?
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Gynacologist(m): 6:09pm On Nov 09, 2014
Jarus:

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer.
nice answer... u d man..
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by Nobody: 8:58am On Nov 10, 2014
Gynacologist:
chemistry of lyf....wow....wat in particular did he tell yah....just curious?
He was my supervisor,he bossed me around lol but he taught me practical aspects of producing paints and I drew structural formula for him many times..... He should have studied Chemistry.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by michealsam0080: 6:26pm On Nov 10, 2014
You are absolutely right the first degree is a foundation on which the structure has to be laid upon. Students usually do not have a really good idea about what they want out of their life earlier at such a stage so the first degree does not matter at such in the making of a persons career. I myself studied engineering in my bachelors , completed and entered the industry worked for three years there and then moved to Germany to work in Autos but there I got a deep interest developed towards Business Management and did my Masters online earning an online degree from one of the quick degrees program while working in Germany. Now I am on a good position at a renowned Auto Manufacturer having a wife and 3 kids but not once I had to think about my Bachelors and frankly nobody asked. Well if it is really troubling to some I found my online counselling for my Masters degree and other education programs information at http://www.priorlearningdegree.com/get-fast-online-degrees/. Try contacting counselors there after filling a free evaluation or your college professor may help too.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by freshdude: 9:51am On Nov 12, 2014
saxywale:

It would be very hard for a Biochem to study masters in Engineering. Easy for physical sciences like Physics, maths, chemistry and Geology but not biological sciences.
Bro what do u suggest. He just got admitted into a Nigerian uni to study bcm. Should he write jamb and enrol for chemical Engineering or graduate with Bcm then do a pgd in chemical eng/masters.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by freshdude: 10:05am On Nov 12, 2014
FrancisTony:

Have you asked yourself if engineering really marketable in Nigeria?

Well, not all Engineers attended a University education, with Civil, Petroleum and Chemical Engineering being an exception.

By the way, he wanted Medicine and ended up in BCM and you want him to switch to Engineering which is entirely different from Medicine and BCM. Can he cope? Hmm
u have got to be kidding me if u want to start an argument about the marketability of Eng. Yeah he wanted to study medicine, no thanks to my dad. You know dads and this my son must be a medical doctor ish. Lastly most Eng firms hire graduate Engineers, u can check the sites of top IOCs to confirm.
Re: Does Undergraduate Course Of Study Really Matter? by shettima97835: 6:35am On Aug 12, 2017
Jamzig1:
@Sir Jarus_i have always wanted to study an engineering course, preferably civil,elect/elect,chemical engineering but unfortunately my dreams was diminished when i was offered PHYSICS in lieu of civil engineering i applied for in FUNAAB, i would appreciate your advice/mentoring
My elder sisters husband work with an oil firm and he studied physics in the university

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crazy Photos From NAITS Week In FUTO / JAMB Uncovers Another Missing N26 Million / University Of Nigeria Releases Her 2016/2017 Merit List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.