Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State (4465 Views)

No More Automatic Tickets For Governors, Senators, Reps – PDP / 2015: PDP Rules Out Automatic Tickets For NASS Members / Court Of Appeal Sacks 2 Senators, 8 House Of Rep. Members (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by msmon(m): 5:37am On Nov 08, 2014
Omololu Ogunmade in Abuja

President Goodluck Jonathan along with members of the National Working Committee (NWC) of the
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday succumbed to pressure from PDP senators protesting their losses at the November 1 ward congresses of the party by agreeing to give automatic tickets to two incumbent senators from each state at the 2015 polls.

The decision was a swift reaction to a week boycott of plenary sessions by the Senate and simultaneous
declaration of solidarity for the defection of Speaker
of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal,
from PDP to APC on October 28 with a threat to team up with the House to impeach the president if that became an option to explore.

However, in a swift response to the Senate's action
and their level of bitterness over alleged moves by
governors to unseat them next year, Jonathan along
with NWC members of PDP met with the aggrieved
senators at the First Lady's House in the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Thursday night where it was agreed that at least two senators would be given return tickets to the Senate.

Although the meeting was initially scheduled for
Wednesday at 10 pm in the Presidential Villa, it was
re-scheduled to Thursday following the president's
trip to Ouagadougou, the Burkinafaso's capital.
The meeting which held between 9 pm and 12am
ended with the senators beaming with smiles and
dropping their grievances at the Villa.
One of the senators who did not want to be named,
disclosed to THISDAY that the resolve to return at
least two senators from each state was read by
National Chairman of PDP, Adamu Mu'azu, at the end of the meeting.

According to him, the matter was treated as a family affair adding that the governors in that family affair's spirit had equally agreed to respect the resolution.
“We have just come back from the Villa. The party
has capitulated to governors. It was agreed that two
senators per state at a minimum would return. The
party chairman announced it at the end of the
meeting. The party said the governors had agreed to it. It was a family affair resolution,” the senator said in a text message to THISDAY.

Having been placated, the senators who came under fire for the better part of last week from Nigerians who were angry with their decision to shut down a national institution because of their alleged selfish objectives are expected to resume full legislation which they had crippled for one week.

The senators had last week alleged betrayal by the
president whom they said they had maximally
supported prior to his emergence as Acting President on February 9, 2009 up to this last weekend. The height of their bitterness towards the President was the decision to shut down the Senate throughout the week, throwing out all items on the Order Paper and vowing to sustain the trend indefinitely until the President addressed their grievances.

While Tuesday's plenary was put off till Wednesday,
the situation grew worse the following day as the
Senate did not only shut down the chamber but also adjourned plenary to November 11.
While claiming that Jonathan had lost the Senate's
strong support like the case in the House of
Representatives, the aggrieved senators also
threatened to frustrate the consideration and prompt passage of the 2015 budget, insisting that they would also shut down the entire government in pursuit of their personal goals.

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-bows-to-pressure-offers-tickets-to-2-senators-from-each-state/193509/
Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by jeffizy(m): 5:43am On Nov 08, 2014
I thought it should be about 'fresh air'.
Why does Nigerian Politics favor recycling of already rusty old boys?

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by courage54(m): 5:47am On Nov 08, 2014
It is easier said than done! Will they ask those governors to forgo their own senatorial ambition? I see crises in PDP.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by Studentsvoice: 5:48am On Nov 08, 2014
lets join hands together and vote out this government come 2015,because it has nothing to offer to Nigerians

20 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by omenka(m): 5:51am On Nov 08, 2014
And out the window again goes the people's right to choose their leaders simply because ONE MAN is so desperate to get what he wants!!!

I really pity Nigerians.

20 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by msmon(m): 6:04am On Nov 08, 2014
It's really alarming my brother, yet they will tell we are the future of tomorrow while the same set of people keep ruling. Like this comment if you believe the FUTURE is now and we have to boot this old men out.
omenka:
And out the window again goes the people's right to choose their leaders simply because ONE MAN is so desperate to get what he wants!!!

I really pity Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by wallex1983(m): 6:14am On Nov 08, 2014
Jonathan along
senators at the First Lady's House in the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

So first lady too get her own house for villa. Are they not supposed to be man and wife?

Anyway, oga Jona....... The fear of aggrieved senators...... This iڪ not †ђξ time to step on toes. †ђξ cost could run into millions of 'power'. Did I say power, I mean Naira

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by wbankz(m): 6:26am On Nov 08, 2014
So that useless smart adeyemi from kogi west iz returning to the senate for d 3rd term? shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by msmon(m): 6:26am On Nov 08, 2014
I hate to hear all these; Office of the Wife of the President, Office of The Wife of the Governor, First Ladies House. Common, waste of Nigeria's treasury, Patience also have her house, office, she have her P.As too?. This is really appalling, pathetic and disgusting.
wallex1983:
Jonathan along
senators at the First Lady's House in the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

So first lady too get her own house for villa. Are they not supposed to be man and wife?

Anyway, oga Jona....... The fear of aggrieved senators...... This iڪ not †ђξ time to step on toes. †ђξ cost could run into millions of 'power'. Did I say power, I mean Naira
Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by ambrosini593(m): 6:35am On Nov 08, 2014
Nigeria politicians are useless

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pentagonal: 6:35am On Nov 08, 2014
it's now clear to every sane person that this gej is the most clueless creature on the milky way. the politicians are aware of his desperation and naivety, little wonder everyone is cutting a deal from the scumbag. the fiddlestick will be burn on the stake to appease the gods in saner climes.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by MosD: 6:42am On Nov 08, 2014
What a degree of selfishness we are witnessing in this regime! Invariably bringing back all the thieves we managing to cope with since d inception of this regime. Oya, Rep members, are u spectators, where u at? Come up with ur acts too. Thieves!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by Nobody: 6:46am On Nov 08, 2014
And this is a man that wants to rule us for another 4yrs. he keeps bowing to pressure from boko haram, from his first lady and now frm selfish politicians. Automatic ticket instead of the will of the ppl. I spit on him. he myt win again but he will never have my vote even if it doesn't count

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by Lekan247: 6:51am On Nov 08, 2014
jeffizy:
I thought it should be about 'fresh air'.
Why does Nigerian Politics favor recycling of already rusty old boys?
[img]http://3.bp..com/-HN-1xjc87LQ/VFxy0XyUeJI/AAAAAAAAAD8/Y03PrI7WQhE/s1600/Aatatyq.jpg[/img]
Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by Nctrice(m): 6:54am On Nov 08, 2014
This is a Big joke! There is no way that can happen
Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pazienza(m): 6:56am On Nov 08, 2014
See how efficient and united they can be, when it comes to getting their selfish desires approved by the president. They are all part of the same problem, the "looting elites". I just finished listening to an annoying jingle in coal city fm,where one of them was refering to himself as "people's power of Ndiigbo", when in real sense,all he cares about is himself and his immediate family.

When are they going to cut their overbloated allowances,kick backs, salaries and illegal funds, in view of the looming danger with the continious fall in oil price.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pentagonal: 7:04am On Nov 08, 2014
pazienza:
See how efficient and united they can be, when it comes to getting their selfish desires approved by the president. They are all part of the same problem, the "looting elites". I just finished listening to an annoying jingo in coal city fm,where one of them was refering to himself as "people's power of Ndiigbo", when in real sense,all he cares about is himself and his immediate family.

I thought your folks have promise to vote the clueless dolt 99.999% come 2015.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pazienza(m): 7:07am On Nov 08, 2014
pentagonal:

I thought your folks have promise to vote the clueless dolt 99.999% come 2015.

The problem with Nigeria isn't that of GEJ. Remove GEJ and he would still be replaced by another elite. Leave GEJ alone.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by AnodaIT(m): 7:15am On Nov 08, 2014
courage54:
It is easier said than done! Will they ask those governors to forgo their own senatorial ambition? I see crises in PDP.
There is no crisis, this is a wise decision
There are 3 slot per state, any state that the governor is going for Senate is just taking one slot remaining 2 for the others

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pentagonal: 7:18am On Nov 08, 2014
pazienza:

The problem with Nigeria isn't that of GEJ. Remove GEJ and he would still be replaced by another elite. Leave GEJ alone.

pazienza:

balderdash!!! even if the past leaders have been world class failure. none of them gave out our territories to ragtag thugs. none of them make corruption, clueless and ineptitude decision as the watchword of there administration. couple with the deliberate ethnic and religious disharmony he is causing in the land.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by philantoxx(m): 7:29am On Nov 08, 2014
I doubt its feasible
Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pazienza(m): 7:36am On Nov 08, 2014
pentagonal:

balderdash!!! even if the past leaders have been world class failure. none of them gave out our territories to ragtag thugs. none of them make corruption, clueless and ineptitude decision as the watchword of there administration. couple with the deliberate ethnic and religious disharmony he is causing in the land.

The truth is that Nigeria had never in her history,had a president better than GEJ. This is the honest truth, even though GEJ himself is not exactly living up expectations too.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pentagonal: 7:43am On Nov 08, 2014
pazienza:

The truth is that Nigeria had never in her history,had a president better than GEJ. This is the honest truth, even though GEJ himself is not exactly living up expectations too.

it's either you are joke or a celebrated sycophant. like seriously!!!!! gej is the worst president on the milky way. damn even the abacha presidency is not as worst as the era of the clueless drunkard. abeg ask the older siblings in your household about the era of muritala Mohammed and Muhammad buhari.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 08, 2014
omenka:

I really pity Nigerians.

Mr. Man, don't allow your blind hatred of Goodluck Jonathan and the PDP becloud your reasoning. How does conceding a party ticket to someone mean depriving the electorate of their right to choose their leaders? There are countless parties in Nigeria, and anyone is free to contest on the platform of any other party. If you are the people's choice, you would win the election, regardless of the party.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:50am On Nov 08, 2014
I know Oliseh Metuh would still blame APC for this combine foolishness of jonaLanTAN and PDP Sinators!
Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by Franzeez(m): 8:05am On Nov 08, 2014
pentagonal:
it's now clear to every sane person that this gej is the most clueless creature on the milky way. the politicians are aware of his desperation and naivety, little wonder everyone is cutting a deal from the scumbag. the fiddlestick will be burn on the stake to appease the gods in saner climes.

He is clueless abi? We agree... But remember he is president, you will never be president, even gover, even chairman, u will rust a pooper... Idiot what do you know as clueless

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by networkrecharg: 8:12am On Nov 08, 2014
Why not compare the two stadia built rather than all this childish rants..

AKWA IBOM STATE SPORTS COMPLEX/STADIUM
¤ location ------ Uyo(urban area).
¤ sitting capacity------30,000.
¤ All - natural grass.
¤ high-tech floodlights.
¤ 36 emergency exits.
¤ vip lounges.
¤ two video boards with screens placed under the roof of the curves at opposite angles (north and south).
¤ cost -------- N 39.8 billion naira.

RIVERS STATE SPORTS COMPLEX/STADIUM

¤ location --------igwuruta-ali(rural area).
¤ sitting capacity ------40,000.
¤ Aquatic centre of two olympic size swimming and diving pools.
¤ 25 emergency exits.
¤ two football training pitch.
¤ two volley ball pitch.
¤ two basketball court.
¤ two tennis court.
¤ two badminton pitch.
¤ two handball pitch.
¤ two indoor sports hall.
¤ 500 public toilet.
¤ hostels and Administrative buildings.
¤ cost ---------- N 31billion naira.
Compare and contrast!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pentagonal: 8:13am On Nov 08, 2014
Franzeez:

He is clueless abi? We agree... But remember he is president, you will never be president, even gover, even chairman, u will rust a pooper... Idiot what do you know as clueless

you are a slimy scallywag sired by shkepe happy apenoid. if anyone in your family tree cross to a develop country in there lifetime. you will know how your life, existence and patrimony have been exchange for the lavish lifestyle of this thieves. since you are stuck in that hellhole, you will always be a happy, unreasonable slave till you go six feet below. good for your worthless, aimless, purposeless life dingbat.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by lacasa: 8:16am On Nov 08, 2014
Agitating for the youths in ds country is a waste of time.

Governance in Nigeria esp under this fisherman of a president is for the elitist cabal only

Well, since the people enjoy Suffering n Smiling, I better dust my agbadas n follow suit in getting ma sit in the room of the 'sacred'

#NoMoreDulling

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by omenka(m): 8:19am On Nov 08, 2014
pro01:

Mr. Man, don't allow your blind hatred of Goodluck Jonathan and the PDP becloud your reasoning. How does conceding a party ticket to someone mean depriving the electorate of their right to choose their leaders? There are countless parties in Nigeria, and anyone is free to contest on the platform of any other party. If you are the people's choice, you would win the election, regardless of the party.
And you whose sense of reasoning is not beclouded by "love" for GEJ and PDP have your signature as "Dr. Goodluck E. Jonathan... President of Nigeria, 2010 - 2019.", when we are yet to see 2015. Clap for yourself Oponu!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pazienza(m): 8:20am On Nov 08, 2014
pentagonal:

it's either you are joke or a celebrated sycophant. like seriously!!!!! gej is the worst president on the milky way. damn even the abacha presidency is not as worst as the era of the clueless drunkard. abeg ask the older siblings in your household about the era of muritala Mohammed and Muhammad buhari.

When i think of Muritala and Buhari, the picture i see is that of two rabid Igbo haters, rulers of years past, whose failure is manifested in abysmal power generating and distributing capacity of Nigeria today, poor road infrastructures, lack of industries, unemployment,impoverished masses,etc.

Nigeria of those days reminds me of Cameroun of today, it was as if the people were docile and ignorant of the failures of those govts, there were less power supply those days, but no one complained, it would appear that the suppressive nature of those govt was responsible for that.

But in GEJ, Nigerians have a listening president, with no form of suppression, and like caged people, the freedom is intoxicating them, it is as if they have selective amnesia,and would now attribute all the wrongs they had been subjected to by their previous rulers to GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Bows To Pressure, Offers Automatic Tickets To 2 Senators Per State by pazienza(m): 8:29am On Nov 08, 2014
In my part of Enugu, we usually do what Nepa people call 'load shedding', you have light today, and then you stay off the next day, and the light might not even come on the day you were supposed to be on, yet the next day,you wont have light. But recently that changed, we no longer do load shedding, we can now expect light everyday.

Now,that's improvement, it's not much, but if Gowon and co made little improvements like this in the past, we would be close to having constant light by now, but they didn't, so here we are.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Decree No 2 And 4 / Fayemi Pictured Carrying Emir Sanusi’s Bags [photo] / Funny Photo: The Only Foreign Investment Gov Oshiomole Brought To Edo In 8yrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.