Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,917 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures (2067 Views)

Policemen Ask A Driver Sit On The Floor For Disobeying Them (pics) / Tension As Governors Sit On Bailout Fund / Lagos Schools Where Students Sit On The Floor & Under Trees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by karlmax2: 7:18am On Nov 08, 2014
By Ikenna Asomba

IN 2009, when Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State obtained a whooping $90 million (N13.5 billion) World Bank Education Loan, to fund teaching and learning infrastructure under the State‘s Eko Secondary Education Project, many a Lagosians thought the era where pupils and students across the public schools in the state sit on bare floor, tyres, broken furniture or even windows is now a thing of the past.But this is not yet so, own to gory experiences currently being witnessed especially by the JSS1 and JSS2 students at the Ajeromi Ifelodun Secondary School, AIJSS (alias Sinclair), in the popular ghetto city, Ajegunle.At the school, sited in the heart of the Ajeromi/Ifelodun Local Government Area of the state, investigations by South West Voice reveals that despite the over 52, 532 furniture, said to be procured by the state government between 2009 and 2013, several schools in the state, including AIJSS, annually, compel parents whose children get admitted into JSS1, to pay N2, 000 for the provision of furniture (chairs and desks).Provision of furniture Parents who failed to pay the said amount have their children sit on bare floor, tyres, broken furniture, classroom windows, or even stand during lessons.Recall that in December 2013, the Socio Economic Rights and Accountability Project, SERAP had sought the order of the Federal High Court, Lagos to direct the state government to release information on its spending of the loan.*Over-crowded class in the schoolSERAP also asked the court to demand details of the projects executed with the loan in the 667 schools across the state in line with the Freedom of Information Act.52, 532 furniture in 4 yearsFashola, had on June 23, 2014, while launching a book entitled “Eko Project: A Legacy of Excellence,”in Lagos, explained that there was nothing to hide as the funds had been deployed judiciously.He affirmed that the loan, which was obtained to fund teaching and learning infrastructure under the State‘s Eko Secondary Education Project, was achieving its purpose as it had significantly improved students’ performance.In the same vein, Ms. Ronke Azeez, Special Adviser to the Governor on Eko Project, in her own explanation, said the $90 million loan provided direct funding to schools between 2009 and 2013.Among other things, Azeez who said that the government spent some of the funds on 7,786 white boards, 20,592 mathematical sets, 4,668 teaching modules and procurement of 52, 532 furniture, boasted that the World Bank had given the state a pass mark on the funds utilisation and rated the Eko project as highly satisfactory.However, despite the state government’s defences, when South West Voice visited the Ajeromi Ifelodun Secondary School, Monday, students in JSS1 and JSS2 were seen sitting on bare floor, tyres, broken furniture and classroom windows receiving lessons, even as others were seen standing during lessons.Parents, students lamentLamenting the situation, a parent who pleaded not to be mentioned, whose daughter just got admitted into JSS1 said “All of us whose children just got admitted into JSS1 were asked to pay N2, 000 each for the procurement of furniture for our children to sit. I am hesitant in paying the money to the school management, because of my past experience last year.Procurement of chairs and desks*Students sitting on the school’s window“Last year, when my eldest child, got admitted into Awodi-Ora Secondary School, parents were asked to pay the same N2, 000 for procurement of chairs and desks. After months of payment, my son and other students didn’t get the furniture on time. It took several months before they got them.“You had to see my son, each time he returns after school hours, his uniforms were always very dirty, because they were sitting on the bare floor. It’s so horrible,” she said.Another parent, Mr. Okafor, whose son just got admitted into JSS1 expressed displeasure that the state government’s claims to operate free-education, but fails to provide chairs and desks for students to sit.His words: “I thought the Lagos state government operates free-education, but when I came here to register my son, we were asked to pay N2, 000 each for the procurement of chairs and desks. I was skeptical of the immediate procurement of this furniture, so I had to look for two other parents that contributed N2, 000 each, and we found a carpenter that made a chair and desk for our three wards.“Now, they have a seat to sit during lessons. But I am unhappy that when you visit their classroom, there are a lot of other students who don’t have chairs and desks to sit, but resort to sitting on the floor, tyres and even the windows. It is worrisome and I hope the state government can urgently address this situation.According to John, one of the students in JSS1, “Governor Babatunde Fashola should please come to our aid. It is very difficult for us to see the blackboard during lessons, because we sit on broken furniture placed on tyres at the back.”Confidence, a JSS1 student caught sitting on the window while lessons were on said: “We were asked to pay N2, 000 for the procurement of chairs and desks on resumption. But because my parents cannot afford the levy, that is why I am sitting on the window.”Luckily for Ifeoluwa, the parents were able to join two other parents to procure a chair and desk for she and her friends. She told South West Voice that “I feel uncomfortable with the overcrowded situation of my classroom. Most times, we are five students on a sit instead of the usual three, because other students whose parents can’t afford to procure chairs and desks for them join us. I and my friends who are the original owners of the chair and desk, can’t send them away, because it is not their fault, but that of government.”Overcrowding*Students sitting on tyres*Students sitting on tyresThe Principal of the Junior School (name withheld), who was said to be ill and could not speak to the press, directed our correspondent to another senior male teacher, who attested that the parents were asked to pay N2, 000 in order to complement the efforts of the state government in the provision of chairs for the student.The teacher who pleaded anonymity said: “It has not been easy for us the teachers in our day-to-day routine of teaching these massive number of students. Own to the fact that the state government operates a free education, we have discovered that so many parents are now withdrawing their children from private schools and they are now swarming the public schools. This has brought about overcrowding in public schools, including our school.“So, because of this overcrowding situation, the available furniture is no longer enough for the students, that is why you see some of them sitting on the floor, broken furniture, tyres and even on the windows.“Government earlier this year, sent chairs and desks to our school, but they are still not enough. I don’t see anything wrong in parents complementing government’s efforts because government cannot do everything,” he affirmed.Complementing government’s effortsAlso reacting, the Education Secretary, Ajeromi/Ifelodun LGA, Adewale Adeogun said: “We are aware of the inadequate furniture in the school, because of the high number of students flocking the school, as well as other public primary and secondary schools in the state, own to the state government’s free education policy. However, as for the N2, 000 payment by parents, it may not be untrue, as the Parents Forum (PTA) of the school, may have decided that every parents with new intake should pay the levy, in order to complement government’s efforts in the procurement of chairs and desks to easy learning.”Meanwhile, efforts to speak to the Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, as at the time of filing this report proved abortive, as calls to her phone was not connecting.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/lagos-secondary-school-students-sit-floor-windows-receive-lectures/

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by karlmax2: 7:19am On Nov 08, 2014
the so called eko project is the biggest scam of the century

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Adetula1(m): 8:17am On Nov 08, 2014
APC as usual will see nothing wrong about this because its the true definition of ''progressive''

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by karlmax2: 8:28am On Nov 08, 2014
Adetula1:
APC as usual will see nothing wrong about this because its the true definition of ''progressive''
did you see any of those people running around calling GEJ A FAILURE IN THIS THREAD? that is a prove of their deception if this was about Jonathan or a pdp governor you would see dem gather like the witches and wizard that they are

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 08, 2014
Front page so that those in charge will take note and take action

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by 9jii(m): 8:42am On Nov 08, 2014
I did almost all my primary and secondary classes on the floor from 1990_2000.I know how they feel. wish them better.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by aljharem(m): 8:51am On Nov 08, 2014
9jii:
I did almost all my primary and secondary classes on the floor from 1990_2000.I know how they feel. wish them better.

So you know and you call change a continuation of this sitting on the floor and schooling

Democratic governor in Lagos from 1999 to 2014 has been APC. Why are pupils still sitting on the floor

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by ahaika23: 8:52am On Nov 08, 2014
APShit! Change! And you ask from what to what? What you hear are thus: Jonathan is not my brother, baboons will soak in their blood, GEJ's administration is corrupt, they hate the north, GEJ's govt dis GEJ's govt that. Evil party

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by aljharem(m): 8:54am On Nov 08, 2014
karlmax2:
the so called eko project is the biggest scam of the century

Eko project, horn free day, lagos spirit etc and all other silly non-essential programs done by this government to embezzle money for Fashola and his boss

Imagine horn free day collecting hundreds of millions of Naira

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by aljharem(m): 8:59am On Nov 08, 2014
People condemning GEJ is either hunted by witchcraft or just mischievous. Have u asked what your local govt n state govs have done for you?

These people are closer to the people than d president. [size=18pt]It takes a long time to feel the impact of the FG that was one of the reasons GEJ was trying to make LG automonous but most of our govs are kicking against it as they want to keep controlling them.[/size]

Let's criticise this gentleman with decorum and constructively because he listens more than past presidents we had lest we regret our actions when he might have gone. Majority of the people never believed in jesus until he's gone.

We nigerians that are not in active politics should be able to know that most of the words that come out of the opposition are negative and aimed @ grabbing power @ all cost. When they eventually gets the power, they will tell undecerning nigerians that it will take 50yrs to repair what PDP has 'done'. You don't get power by bringing down a nation you wish well.

---------Rightman Punch

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Nobody: 9:02am On Nov 08, 2014
Scrolls down to bottom of the thread for pictures, oops it's vanguard newspaper.

Okay, i finally found pictures, this is quite sad,there is no excuse for this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by ahaika23: 9:06am On Nov 08, 2014
Obiagelli:
Scrolls down to bottom of the thread for pictures, oops it's vanguard newspaper.
grin grin grin Obii, y I no see you for my thread with pictures about akpabio and Amaechi? Or the picture confuse you dia?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by ahaika23: 3:53pm On Nov 08, 2014
ahaika23:
grin grin grin Obii, y I no see you for my thread with pictures about akpabio and Amaechi? Or the picture confuse you dia?
Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by phantom(m): 5:12pm On Nov 08, 2014
the earlier we realise that APC=PDP, the better for us

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by talktimi(m): 5:40pm On Nov 08, 2014
Gej is at fault
Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by kskpoundz(m): 5:43pm On Nov 08, 2014
& what's the name of the school? Where is it located for confirmation.& if its true then fashola need to b flog

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Descartes: 5:44pm On Nov 08, 2014
grin
Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Descartes: 5:44pm On Nov 08, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Descartes: 5:47pm On Nov 08, 2014
Obiagelli:

Okay, i finally found pictures, this is quite sad,there is no excuse for this.

Ekô oní bàje shocked

1 Like

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by erunz(m): 7:07pm On Nov 08, 2014
kskpoundz:
& what's the name of the school? Where is it located for confirmation.& if its true then fashola need to b flog
Ajeromi Ifelodun High School, its in Olodi Apapa. Infact this is not the only school, if u go 2 tolu complex in d same Ajeromi Ifelodun u'll see more.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Collynzo29: 7:20pm On Nov 08, 2014
Serious students in the mega city of Lagos.

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by OmEnT4: 7:43pm On Nov 08, 2014
I thought yo-robber people say they have the most visionary leaders in this country.grin

You can't even see this type of school in abia where ta orji rule but this type of government school is scattered throughout the South West.
They see it as norm and traditiongrin

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by talktimi(m): 10:18pm On Nov 08, 2014
Gej and pdp ate the 90 million dollars education loan, they're greedy people
Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Descartes: 10:19pm On Nov 08, 2014
This is a monumental fraud going on in Southwest Nigeria angry

1 Like

Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by Nobody: 11:51pm On Nov 08, 2014
Many posters above me have a very big comprehension problem.
Pls take your time and read the post again, major points are:
* the govt do supply schools with furniture every session
* the affected students are JSS1 and 2 only
* the classes are overcrowded as a result of Lagosians withdrawing the wards from private schls to public schls.
* the so call furniture MIGHT have been PTA decisions
*Parents can provide the furniture in lieu of N2000
SUMMARY
The govt had been confirm to be working but her provision is not sufficient for present reality. Note that is d govt provide facility for 500 std for schl A, she will only provide for 500 stds not withstanding if they schl is currently having 800+ std. The SUBEB and Education commissioner needs to stand up to their duties, regulate admissions to these schls, recommend and push for establishment of more schls or expansion of existing ones.
Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by ayukdaboss(m): 6:41am On Nov 09, 2014
aljharem:

Eko project, horn free day, lagos spirit etc and all other silly non-essential programs done by this government to embezzle money for Fashola and his boss

Imagine horn free day collecting hundreds of millions of Naira
Can you back that up with proof?
Re: Lagos Secondary School Where Students Sit On Floor, Windows To Receive Lectures by jaymichael(m): 8:24am On Nov 09, 2014
In as much as i can't make excuse for government failure to provide qualitative education and conducive environment for learning as evident from this picture, This Fashola administration has really tried in the area of education. AILG Ajegunle is my constituency. I was born there and and am more than 30 years(so i no be small pickin) and I moved just 4 month ago. I know Ajegunle like I know the four corners of my bedroom. The school in question in osho drive is not far from my former place. just less than 2 minutes stroll. my younger sister attends the school. I know the school very well. I even did my second teaching practice there. Not all the classes are affected. just a few and its not as if there aren't furniture, its not just enough. The pupils usually pay some money, and furniture will be provided later. If you live in and know Aj. very well, you will know how these schools i will mention used to be. Cardoso and unity pry school. they are being renovated. CKS on Orodu street ( I wrote my GCE there) now has a magnificent structure i always admire. Ebenezer pry school opposite Awodiora oja is being upgraded now. Go to Tolu school complex, we know how schools like Creek,(Idid my fist TP there) express, reservation unity etc used to be, those schools are now being refurbished and upgraded. Some had to be completely demolished and new structures erected. The students are given free textbooks that cover almost all subjects. These are lots of room for improvements but to say this administration has not tried in the area of education is a lie.

(1) (Reply)

GEJ Finally Gave MASSOB Orders To Set INEC Ablaze. / Angry Women Protest Unclad In Ekiti / IBB Lashes First Lady, Fayose, Fani-kayode For Hate Campaigns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.