Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,869 members, 7,813,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Your Language, Culture Is Your ID - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Your Language, Culture Is Your ID (510 Views)

Facilities And Maitenance Services Culture Is Expenssive; Nigerian Mindset... / Why Can't Your Children Speak Your Language / Culture, Is This Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Your Language, Culture Is Your ID by Betboss(m): 4:46pm On Nov 09, 2014
Thank you for visiting this thread!

Have you ever imagined the little and wide differences in our different "mother tongues"? Well I have imagined this, I remember vividly when I was 7years, I couldn't speak my native language, but when I got to the village, surprisingly to me I was able to hear virtually almost every word from the villagers. Each time I remember those periods , I understand how powerful God Almighty is, and why your native language is your seal of identification.

I love Nigeria very much and Africa at large. With the current trend of much westernisation of Nigeria and the whole Africa continent. We must preserve our culture, heritage and core values by never shying away from identifying ourselves. Do not be shy to speak your language as it makes you unique.

I watched a video on YouTube where a woman in the UK was mocking the "first lady of Nigeria" Her Excellency Mrs Patience Jonathan. That she couldn't speak the English language correctly. I was totally irritated by the useless and foolish video. I am not saying you shouldn't know how to speak the English language , but you shouldn't because of the English language or any other language throw your own native language into oblivion. Its your ID ,learn to speak it and speak it.

My honest advice to families, please speak your native language to your children at home. Don't speak foreign languages in your home. Let the schools help with that. One very great advantage of teaching and speaking your language to your children is that while speaking your language, by extension you also teach them your cultures and core values.

The sole honest reason we all learn to speak English language is make general communication easy. So if you happen to find yourself with either your native brother or sister, please speak your language to him or her. Surprisingly even in schools , especially universities, you talk to a girl in your native language and she responds in English. Almost everyone trying to form the English ascent more than the owners of the language.

The most developed groups of people on earth are those who adopted foreign cultures and combined it with their own cultures without discarding any of their own .cultures due to inferiority complex. You can learn foreign cultures, but don't totally adopt it and call your own culture primitive and outdated because you are the one who made it so. When you learn foreign cultures, learn it wisely ,by preserving your original culture.

Brothers and sister let's continue to preserve Nigeria core values, heritage and cultures by speaking our "mother tongues" and fostering our cultural values. So that tomorrow we will not see homosexual and call it legal. Married and unmarried women should dress properly and decently, not wearing half uncladed clothes and turn around to call it fashion.

Ututu oma
Ekaaro
Ina Kwana

(1) (Reply)

Tragedy: 3 Siblings Die In Lagos Fire / Must It Always Be Violence? Why Not Try Another Means / Can You Wear Your Patners Umderwear?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.